Start by marking “Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo” as Want to Read:

Rooster crows,
Cock-a-doodle-doo.
Wake up, girls,
And little boys, too.
Breakfast ham pop-pops, cow moo as they're being milked, girls feed clucking hens, and boys split wood--wack! When chores are done, rockers squeak, and kids play games while Grandma's knitting needles click and the clock ticks.
Rhythms, rhyme, and onomatopoeia are used to describe a day in the life of
Published 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo

Melissa Berke
Jan 19, 2014 Melissa Berke rated it really liked it
Some background....
As a music teacher, I am always trying to find books that will help teach concepts in music while simultaneously supporting reading/language arts goals. This book has potential to work for younger students when teaching instrumental timbres. While the text is obviously meant for younger students, the rhythm of the book’s rhyming text provides advanced rhythmic patterns of 8th &16th note combinations that could be used for improvisation on Orff instruments or be a springboa
Jessica Henry
Opening:
I would like to introduce another book about life on the farm to you today. Do you remember when we read the book called "Farm" by Elisha Cooper? What do your remember about the book? (Pause for student response.) (Go back and quickly look through the book, pointing out topics.) Do you remember how in that book, the author taught us what it is like to live on a farm all year long? This book is similar. This author, Jim Aylesworth, writes about what happens on this farm for just the day.
Melanie
Apr 17, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful farm scene of the early years! I love how Jim Aylesworth takes rhythmic words to show a day in the life of an early farming family. From the early morning crow of the rooster to the night call of the owl, we are whisked to a day full of animals, chores and family. As a family they milk the cows, feed the hens, hang the laundry, make dinner, shoe a mule, haul hay and more before they relax for the night.
I love the illustrations and how Brad Sneed gives character to the 6 lanky
Tima
Apr 06, 2016 Tima rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The rhyming words tell an entertaining story about life and sounds on the farm for a large family. It showcases their meals, their chores, their playing and their family life, as it follows them from waking up to going to sleep again that night. The illustrations are beautiful, comical, and larger than life. Each picture adds so much more to the story and will fascinate young readers. The old fashioned pictures of the mill wheel, water pump, and stove will give the children an idea of earlier ...more
Emma Apple
Jul 22, 2015 Emma Apple rated it really liked it
This book was really fun to read. If the title doesn’t give it away, it is all about onomatopoeia and takes us through a day in the life of a very cheerful family who live on a farm. It’s a lot of fun to read, I love the way it opens with everyone waking up, and closes with everyone falling asleep. It shows a family working together on the farm to take care of the animals and do the jobs that need to be done. A great story of team work and a lot of fun to read together. As we were reading ...more
Barbara
Filled with onomatopoeia ["Breezes swish...Clang, clang, clang./ It's time to eat" (unpaged]and rhyming lines, this picture book takes a nostalgic look at life on a family farm. Amid all the hard work and animal noises, there is much fun and support among the family members. Whoever considers living in the country to be quiet needs to take a look at this book. The engaging text filled with all those sounds and the watercolor illustrations depicting lots of movement evoke a feeling of warmth and ...more
Karen A.
Another solid entry into the Farm storytime and good bedtime books. Good rhymes, lots of onomatopoeia, and rhythm.

Love the Thomas Hart Benton inspired illustrations. My only gripe is that it so strongly tells about a way of life that is no longer a reality for most Americans. I wonder if kids will relate?? But it may not matter.
Patricia Bandre
Jan 07, 2013 Patricia Bandre rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
For those children who have never experienced a farm, this book provides a glimpse into the sights and sounds of a busy barnyard day. Keep in mind, this is definitely a farm of the past - 1940s era clothing, furniture, kitchen appliances, etc... Cows still "moo" and roosters still "cock-a-doodle-doo," but oil lamps don't tend to light living rooms much anymore.
Ariel Cummins
Sep 27, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A look at what life was like on an old-fashioned farm. Goes through a day-in-the-life, from early wake up to going to bed.

The art has a gentle, almost old-fashioned watercolor look to it. Lots of animals and machinery to look at.

Because of the many onomatopoeias and length, would make a great read-along, even for younger kids.
Lorelle
Jun 15, 2012 Lorelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Although the rhythm of the text may be a little difficult for some readers to fall into, this is a great story for city-kids to learn about farm life. But better yet, the book is a great one for teaching word choice. The large pictures by Sneed do wonders for helping the story move along--even the animals have character!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Aug 03, 2012 Miss Pippi the Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Come to the farm, it's onomatopoeia time!

Aylesworth shares sounds around the farm - from the beginning of the day to the end. Sneed's beautiful illustrations depict farm life in the mid-1900's. The mellow colors and merry narration makes me want to jump right into the book and spend a day at the farm.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Cheriee Weichel
Jul 01, 2015 Cheriee Weichel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the story of a day in the life of an old time farm. I enjoyed the rhythm and rhyming in the language. Brad Sneed's illustrations are both beautiful and fun at the same time. Together, the two of them capture the noisy busy life that once was.
Danica Midlil
This was great for my mom to explain to my son how it was for her grandmother to grow up on a farm. This was a pretty old farm; by the time Mom was growing up, they had milking machines to help with the cows!
Nolan Johnson
Nov 05, 2014 Nolan Johnson rated it it was ok
A. This book is about a family that lives on a farm and their daily practices. The book uses a lot of rhythm and uses onomatopoeia words.

B. The theme of this book is farm families.

C. I would use this book to teach about using onomatopoeia words.
Jenny Henry
May 24, 2016 Jenny Henry rated it it was amazing
Added this to a giant pile of library books at the last minute with my active almost-two-year-old in tow. It was a huge hit! The rhythm, the pictures...we love it. He reaches for it every morning.
Angie
Aug 07, 2012 Angie added it
Shelves: storytime
Sharing this one with my preschool storytime kids tomorrow. I'll post after to share how it went over
Shelli
Aug 05, 2016 Shelli rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I think this book would have been better if it were in that format with the buttons on the side that you push to make the noise to match the picture. Just in a picture book... not so great.
Cindy
Jul 24, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I wish I had a little pumpkin to read this to! Cock-a-Doodle-Doo is a charming and cozy read. Children will enjoy the pictures and noises of the farm animals.
Jul 28, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-house
Rhyming, rhythmic, onomatopoeia.

Watercolor illustrations. Lots of movement. Homely everyday folks.
Beth
Mar 16, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
I found the text hard to read. I just didn't get the rhymes. Maybe it's just me. But it does make farm like seem exciting and cozy. i love the illustrations.
Elizabeth
I like the sound effects and rhythm of the text, but it all seems very old-fashioned, especially when we see the mother pumping water.
Maggie
Aug 31, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
lots of fun sounds and rhymes to read with babies and littles. good barnyard or farm living story time.
Paula
Rhyming text divulges the many sounds heard on a farm, from a rooster's morning crow to an owl's goodnight call.
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Donalyn
Donalyn rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Mariecris
Mariecris rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Maija
Maija rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
  • Just Ducks!
  • Oink-a-Doodle-Moo
  • Night Knight
  • Fast Food
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Time for a Hug
  • Fish had a Wish (I Like to Read)
  • Beep and Bah
  • Oh! What a Surprise!
  • The Bear in the Book
  • Zoom, Rocket, Zoom!
  • Moo Hoo
Jim Aylesworth was born in Jacksonville, Florida but as an infant moved from the state. He lived in many places during his childhood: Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas... but by the time Aylesworth was 15 his family had settled in Hinsdale, Illinois and that is where he graduated from high school in 1961.

In 1965, he graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a B.A. in English.
More about Jim Aylesworth...