Start by marking “Fire Child, Water Child: How Understanding the Five Types of ADHD Can Help You Improve Your Child's Self-Esteem and Attention” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Fire Child, Water Child is a revolutionary guide to parenting a child with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) that does not rely on medication or pathologizing your child’s challenges. This method, created by pediatrician and ADHD specialist Stephen Scott Cowan, helps you identify your child’s unique focusing style—wood, fire, earth, metal, or water—and calm ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Fire Child, Water Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Child, Water Child

This book examines the connection children and their personalities have with Chinese medicine and its labeling of the Five Phases - related to nature: Water/Winter, Wood/Spring, Fire/Summer, Earth/Harvest, and Metal/Autumn. Each have particular characteristics and help to explain the ways that we respond to our environment. Of particular concern is how to aid the child diagnosed as ADHD and his/her parents and teachers. The author is a developmental pediatrician and advocates the use of alternat ...more
Amy Hyde
Very interesting if you are really into holistic child raising. It describes the 5 kinds of children (or people like me) and the sign they are -earth, fire,wood, metal and water. When you discover this you can treat your child with holistic healing instead of medicine. I have to say - the different signs were extremely accurate to my 2 boys who show signs of ADHD (But who doesn't?) The one I worry about is a water sign and the different scents and oils might be something interesting to try since ...more
Stephen Cowan takes a very holistic approach to ADHD in this book, drawing from a variety of scientific and philosophical sources to build a framework for understanding and supporting five major personality types. Each type corresponds to an element (wood, fire, earth, metal, water) that represents a person's most basic tendencies. According to Cowan, those tendencies become distractions when we're feeling threatened and insecure, particularly in situations that are contrary to our nature.

The f
When you look past the ADHD label, this is a book for both children and adults. I especially appreciate the examples of how Cowan puts the Chinese Law of the Five Elements in to action. I've used this book to inquire into my child's behaviors and actions as well as my own.
Andd Becker
Some parents of an attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) child will take the time to categorize their child and diagnose the child as fire, wood, earth, metal, or water personality type.
The author recommends reducing the time an ADHD child spends eating in front of the TV set. This will improve the child's attention span.
Some parents of a young ADHD child will administer off-label stimulant medications. Off-label refers to drugs used without FDA approval.
Didn't fit our needs
Aside from references to Eastern philosophy, I found this book to be quite fascinating! I learned a lot about temperament, social inclination, and response to stress based on classifying personality/temperament according to the elements.
Jackie Ray
This book was very helpful in understanding how ADHD looks in different personalities, how to nourish the different personalities of ADHD, and how to challenge and develop a child with ADHD. I am glad I read it.
Mar 14, 2014 elissa is currently reading it
Recommended by my acupucturist in 2013, I finally bought a copy of it and read part of it on vacation at the end of the year.
Amazing book! Great resource for parents whether you think you child has ADHD or not.
Kate Interlichia
Kate Interlichia marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Katie Doukas
Katie Doukas marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Donne Sephton
Donne Sephton marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Kari marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Chris added it
Oct 06, 2015
Megan Rankin
Megan Rankin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Becky Bryan
Becky Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Eryn M. Norwood
Eryn M. Norwood is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2015
Sharon Peabody
Sharon Peabody is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Pontsho marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Laurie Stinebaugh
Laurie Stinebaugh is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Melissa Hammel
Melissa Hammel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Megan Fry
Megan Fry marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Latoya Weaver
Latoya Weaver marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Taming the Spirited Child: Strategies for Parenting Challenging Children Without Breaking Their Spirits
  • Healing Trauma
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science
  • Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old
  • What's Eating Your Child?: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Childhood Ailments: Anxiety, Recurrent Ear Infections, Stomachaches, Picky Eating, Rashes, ADHD, and More. And What Every Parent Can Do about It.
  • Madrigals Magic Key to Spanish
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them
  • Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons
  • ADHD and Me: What I Learned from Lighting Fires at the Dinner Table
  • I Brake for Meltdowns: How to Handle the Most Exasperating Behavior of Your 2- to 5-Year-Old
  • Shut Up About...Your Perfect Kid!
  • Understanding Girls with Ad/HD