Start by marking “Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living” as Want to Read:
Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living

Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
How can each of us live Cooler, Smarter? While the routine decisions that shape our days—what to have for dinner, where to shop, how to get to work—may seem small, collectively they have a big effect on global warming. But which changes in our lifestyles might make the biggest difference to the climate? This science-based guide shows you the most effective ways to cut your ...more
Published April 25th 2012 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Cooler Smarter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooler Smarter

Tuck
Jul 06, 2012 Tuck rated it it was amazing
the coolest book, the ugliest cover. very practical advice backed up by clear and easy to understand data from hot dog scientists from all over the planet. so can answer questions such as organic cotton. should you buy it? would it be less carbon getting organic cotton? short answer: yes.
how bout recycling? you "save" and or use less than half the carbon to recycle steel, paper, plastic and about 5 times for glass and about 7 times for aluminum, so short answer: yes.
what about FSC wood products
Nick
Jan 25, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
Looking for a way to save ridiculous amounts of money on your energy bills? This is the book for you. It's packed with good, sane, tested advice on energy, from cars to homes to the stuff we buy. Is it more efficient to fly or drive to your summer vacation spot? This book will tell you. How can you enlist your co-workers in saving energy? This book has tons of good ideas. And it has all the data on climate change. A must-read.
Emily
Mar 04, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I received a digital galley of this book to review for a magazine. I can't stress enough what an amazing and important tool this book is: it debunks many misconceptions about climate change, and offers a vast menu of practical climate change solutions to empower readers across all income levels. I will be buying many copies of this book for friends and family.
Katie
Apr 30, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
This is a well-written primer on lowering your carbon footprint. If you are well versed in this topic there isn't anything mind-blowing in here. The authors arrange the book based on the changes that will have the greatest impact on your overall carbon footprint down to the ones that will have some, but not much impact. They encourage readers to try to reduce their carbon by 20% in the next year. Most of their ideas are practical and simply require some awareness of ways carbon can be reduced al ...more
Becky
May 19, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
A highly recommended read for just about everyone! As it states, it lays out practical steps for low-carbon footprint living, but it is not just a practical guide to low-carbon living, but for living in general.

The writing is optimistic without being glib; honest without being guilt producing. In fact, it could be particularly helpful for people who are overwhelmed with simply paying bills and getting groceries on the table. Many of the choices that families and businesses can make to reduce ca
Cat
Nov 09, 2015 Cat rated it really liked it
Shelves: green
Practical and clear, this is a good primer for anyone who wants to start living in a more environmentally friendly way. Many of the tips are unsurprising if you've already been working on reducing your carbon footprint, but I found a few useful tips to use in areas I hadn't even thought about before. I ordered this for our library as part of a sustainability push and I'm quite satisfied with it. It is accessible enough for our students and makes a good case for how individual decisions can in fa ...more
Evan
Jul 18, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it
A quick skim of a book, with not much new for the experienced environmentalist. Nevertheless, it's a strong collection of information, with a no-nonsense approach that allows one to prioritize smartly, rather than chasing after every last idea about how to cut one's contribution to global warming.

Want to save hundreds of dollars a year? Want to invest in something that pays you back for decades? This $20 book (and a half day's work) and get you there.
Gary
Jan 28, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: high school and up
Get this book! It's practical, focused and provides useful steps that you can take to make a significant difference in reduced your carbon pollution footprint.

Kristy Orr
Apr 16, 2015 Kristy Orr rated it really liked it
Got some great ideas now I just need to find some money so I can put those ideas to use in my home. Anyone want to buy me a new high efficiency fridge? !
Candace
Aug 02, 2013 Candace rated it really liked it
A reasonable read and guide to lowering your family's CO2 emissions. Many of the standard changes (switching to compact fluorescent bulbs, for instance) are recommended but with the facts and figures to back them up. Some suggestions might surprise you--eating less beef decreases emissions while "eating local" may not be the best solution.
John
Dec 20, 2013 John rated it liked it
This book is a fairly quick read with some interesting ideas for reducing energy usage and carbon footprint. Explanations of suggestions are good. Serious devotees of the subject or those who have been working for a few years to reduce energy usage will find much of the book as often repeated "common sense". Buy it used.
A. Kuhlii
A. Kuhlii rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Erin Chacey
Erin Chacey is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Eliza Schafler
Eliza Schafler marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Alyssa Haverfield
Alyssa Haverfield marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Mary Compton
Mary Compton marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kerra Curley
Kerra Curley marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Benjaminhapp
Benjaminhapp rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Ulysses
Ulysses marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Amanda Scaramella
Amanda Scaramella marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Organicbyte
Organicbyte rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015