Start by marking “Home Made” as Want to Read:
Home Made

Home Made

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  340 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
How do you make cheese from pantry staples? Or create an oven smoker from scratch in just two minutes? Or make ice cream without a machine? In Home Made, Yvette van Boven shows you how, complete with an irreverent voice, step-by-step photos and illustrations, and a gorgeous photo alongside every recipe. While her recipes are rooted in a natural, from-scratch cooking philos ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Murdoch (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Home Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Made

Darren
Apr 17, 2013 Darren rated it it was amazing
The publicity material for this book had the following two sentences in bold: "I have used things that I thought you will have in your house - an oven, a cooktop, a knife and a colander. My recipes represent a starting point to help you on your way but I hope that you will make up your own versions and create fresh memories."

This reviewer's first response was to write this off as marketing claptrap and a bit patronising, to be honest, but after just a few pages of this books this initial sceptic
Arlian
Dec 29, 2014 Arlian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of eye candy--great photographs and a nice layout with good font choices. Many of the recipes seemed interesting, and I was particularly interested in the tea recipes, and jam, and pickles. However, that was mostly it.

On a scale of Trash to Treasure, I might say I'd be happy to get this as a gift, but then would probably never use it and thus would end up trading it in for store credit at my favourite local bookstore.
Mar 24, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so admittedly I just bought this book and have yet to make anything from it. But I just flipped through the whole thing, and I think it is the perfect cookbook for someone who loves to make things from scratch (i.e. me). First, she covers all the basics, so if you want to learn to make your own soup stock, your own condiments, your own cheese, your own bread, your own ice cream, your own herbal teas, your own chocolate, your own smoked meat, etc., you will not be disappointed. Second, the ...more
Dymphy
Apr 01, 2013 Dymphy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a colourful booked packed with the most amazing photos and recipes. Everything looks incredibly tasty, although I've yet to try a recipe.
I've bought the book because I wanted to make my own things from scratch, but I was a bit dissapointed since there are more "dishes-recipes" then "basics-recipes". Plus, with making jam, her method mainly consists mostly of getting store-bought gelatinesugar, which is a no-no in my case.
It is matter of time to find out the irreplaceability of this
Alex Day
Feb 14, 2015 Alex Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't tried any recipes yet but I have so many of them book-marked. I love the step-by-step photos and the pictures and recipes are written beautiful.
Danielle McClellan
Terrific cookbook by a Dutch writer who grew up in Ireland and now lives (mostly) in France. Her baked eggs are worth the price of the book. Gorgeous recipes and photographs for straightforward healthy eating.
Oct 06, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many great recipes and techniques it's almost overwhelming.
Kate
Aug 14, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Physically this is a gorgeous book, complete with two ribbon page markers, a satisfyingly hefty hard cover, and stunning photos. I must admit, though, that I didn't try a single recipe. Everything looked tasty, but somehow just wasn't something I wanted to try at the moment. I might get it out of the library again when I'm feeling more ambitious, but I feel that a lot of the basic recipes are probably things I'll run into other places and try then. Definitely worth checking out if you're a foodi ...more
Selket Nicole
Sep 20, 2013 Selket Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, foodie
i love the aesthetic of this book. gorgeous pics that really feel like you're looking at someone's family album of snapshots. i also really like and appreciate the book's focus on cooking with the things that an average home cook already has in her kitchen. that is, cooking without the need to run out and purchase hundreds of kitchen gadgets (not that i don't also love the gadgets, sometimes, or the excuse to buy them). this is a beautiful addition to my cookbook collection.
Kimberly
Apr 30, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, cookbook
This book is freaking fantastic. If you have ever wanted a book that literally made you want to reach into the pages and feel, eat, taste and bond with the food on the page - this is it.

This is classic new rustic French. The pictures! The layout! The recipes! I just want to cook everything from it!

As a side note - this has classic recipes for making ketchup and mustard. The mustard recipe was actually the tipping point in me purchasing the book.
Cristov
Mar 17, 2012 Cristov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully photographed tome full of recipes, meal planning ideas and tips. There are topics covering everything from making cheese to chocolate to jam to tea with a few variations for each. The meal planning ideas range from High Tea to What to Cook for a Funeral. One of the best features in the book are it's multiple indexes including a table of contents, a recipe index and an ingredient index.
Tara
Irish author who lives in Holland and France. The recipes reflect those cultures. I love her illustrations.
Jessica
Apr 21, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I have yet to make a recipe from this book but it did kind of make me want to visit Amsterdam and also to feel a little sad that I live in the city of Chicago instead of on an old farmstead with a big garden in Europe somewhere...maybe someday. I still can't wait to start making some of these yummy recipes.
Heather Roberts
highlighted on pia jane's blog. just published. not in english yet. the photo's are outstanding. the recipes, although in dutch, i can hardly wait to make. feels worthy of having it sent then playfully deciphering each dish using terribly splotchy internet translation. oh would be such good times.
Amy Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2013 Amy Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the lettering, the photographs and concept. I want to make my own bread and my own jam to put on it. I may skip making my own tea. I fear I will pick the wrong thing and end up with a pot full of lawn clipping. " more tea?" Oh no thank you. I want to make the gnocchi someday.
Nora
Jun 27, 2013 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
From a fast & easy Hollandaise sauce to a frittata using fresh mint to preserves of all kinds. Very European recipes--what exactly IS a Sunchoke? Anyone? Some sounded amazing & others were a clean pass. I'd love to try making cheese the way they show.
Juli Anna
Jul 07, 2013 Juli Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Very unique cookbook; one part gourmet, restaurant-based recipes, one part European farm-wife how-to manual for canning, preserving, etc. Will a be a great reference. Somewhat meat-heavy, but you can't win them all. Also, photos are excellent.
Nicola
Oct 18, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it
I loved paging through this cookbook. I expected to find a few recipes I might incorporate in my weekly rotation, but instead I found myself thoroughly enjoying the book - photography, illustrations, etc. Made me want to create a book.
JDAZDesigns
Feb 05, 2012 JDAZDesigns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!

Which should be enough of a statement.

But I can't stop there. This bad boy is packed with everything. Recipes, menus, instructions. All well-written, easy to follow and bring the desired results.

I love it!
Debbie
Dec 21, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
This is a beautifully illustrated cookbook. It is filled with recipes I might be more apt to buy ready-made although it's given me a greater interest in trying my hand at making my own duck confit and cheese.
Patrick
Mar 21, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cookbook lovely enough for your coffee table, with recipes practical enough that you will actually make them. What I've tried is delicious as well.

Illustrated step-by-step guides to reduce confusion.
Ashley
Aug 07, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between 2 and 3 stars. There are some really amazing recipes in here, but its super european so there are also a lot of them that i will never use.
Elle
Jan 14, 2012 Elle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. A lot for the amount of money you pay, it's pack full of recipes, recipes you'll actually make and want to make. Yup, it's good.
Rachel Taylor
Sep 22, 2013 Rachel Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful cookbook, but the recipes have a lot of unusual ingredients and it's not very reachable to a general audience.
Kim1983
Jun 19, 2013 Kim1983 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good concept for a book & nice layout. Unfortunately I didn't want to cook anything. Very gourmet & lots of meat recipes.
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Loving this so far. The photography is stunning and the recipes unique which is hard to find these days.
Rebeca
Feb 07, 2012 Rebeca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book for recipes, but one for inspiration. Beautiful projects and ideas, amazing photography.
Abigail Twombly
Jan 21, 2012 Abigail Twombly rated it really liked it
Bought this for the graphic design but the recipes are fabulous as well.
Anita

Liz De Coster
Oct 23, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice Kirby
Shelves: hobbies, food
Gorgeous visually, but the recipes are a bit muddled and avant guard.
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Tartine Book No. 3
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »