Widow, Virgin, Whore

Widow, Virgin, Whore

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Bestselling Novel in March 2014!

Three very different women−one house−one devastating diagnosis.

When recently widowed Katherine Samuals purchases a home to share with her son, Christopher, and best friend, Denise Richards, the last thing she expects is to include Denise's outrageous sister, Darla Richards, into the household. But Katherine agrees because she adores Darla's

Published December 10th 2011 by Amazon (first published April 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Widow, Virgin, Whore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Widow, Virgin, Whore

Widow, Virgin, Whore by Deanna Lynn SlettenUnbroken Dreams by Katerina JulienIf I Stay by Gayle FormanPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
my deram is come true
1st out of 37 books — 6 voters
Dinosaurs &  Cherry Stems by Susan Jean RicciRoses at Dusk by M.W. RussellBreaking the Nexus by Lindsay AvalonSeal of Destiny by Traci DouglassEveryone Burns by John Dolan
Best New Author Books
279th out of 974 books — 1,373 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Dec 29, 2011 Dianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Dianna by: Author giveaway
Shelves: favorites, fiction
I am so happy that I won this book from the author. This book is VERY, VERY GOOD.

It is about the relationship between two best friends and the sister of one of them. Thus, the title, Widow, Virgin, Whore. The Widow has a son. Her house is too big so she decides to renovate and rent out some rooms. Her friend, the Virgin moves in and asks if her sister the Whore can also rent because it would be good for her daughter. Her mother, being who and what she is, is not the ideal parent and her daughte...more
Ruty  B
When you first read the title, you don't know what you're going to find. After reading the plot I was afraid it may be too sad or maybe hard to believe, but I was so wrong. I thought the women in this story would be or too close mind or very wild, but they're very real, if you read carefully you'll relate which anyone of them.
This is a great story, not only well written but very human. At first you found a description of each character, of their lives and the world around them. But after Darla f...more
Dede
Widow, Virgin, Whore is a novel of three women, each at a different stage in their life. They move in together and as time progresses, their differences become their strengths as each member faces the challenges caused when Darla is diagnosed with AIDS. Having lost several friends to the AIDS virus, I found the description of the virus and treatment to be very accurate. This is a moving story of friendship, family, growth and loss.
Val
This book has literally left me breathless. Simply put, it is one of the BEST books I have EVER read (not something I say lightly.). Although fiction the subject matter is very real, very present in our society today and this story will have you taking a closer look at the world around you.

I cannot recommend this book enough and plan on ordering several copies for friends and family.
Jan Romes
The title, WIDOW, VIRGIN, WHORE drew me in. Followed by the great cover! What an amazing book it turned out to be :-) The story is the journey of a woman who is diagnosed with HIV positive/AIDS, but it becomes so much more!! It's an incredible tale of family, friendship and how something so horrific can bring out the best (and worst) in people. Ms. Sletten took a sensitive subject and told it in a way that I understood the disease, the pain and the joy. (Yes, joy! You will have to read it to fin...more
Gloria Antypowich

Widow, Virgin, Whore by Deanna Lynn Sletten

The Title of this book of this book is both appropriate and almostmisleading. I am not bothered by sexually explicit material in a book, because to me sex is a very real part of the human experience; and that is what I was expecting to find. I was surprised, but not disappointed to find that there was no actual sex in the story.

Instead I found myself drawn into a wonderfully written human drama that centered around Katherine, who is a conservative widow...more
Angelica
This was a well rounded story with some humor, facts and some sadness to go with it. It definitely broadened my knowledge of AIDS. I am in the generation that was taught all about it in health classes, Knew how you get it, but I never thought about the actual people that got it. Never thought about the impact it could have on virtually everyone you knew and everything you did.
I enjoyed reading this story about friendship, family, and how they come together with the support and love you'd need t...more
Brian
It all began with buying a beautiful victorian home in Seattle for a group of women to share. But the deal came with baggage in the form of the black sheep of the family, Darla. While the kids flurish, Darla tests everyone's patience with her short temper and string of boyfriends and parties. Ultimately, this fragile alliance is tested when the AIDS virus rears its ugly head.

This book provides a beautifully written account of a group of freinds and family who must deal with terminal illness. As...more
Summerc79
I will admit I downloaded this book mostly because it was cheap (!). But am I glad I did!
The title can be misleading. I had no idea what the story was about and made up my mind about maybe some sort of windy romance of sorts.
Not at all.
This books deals with the sensitive matter of AIDS. And the author treats it in a beautiful, delicate way. Yet it's not sugar coated.
I highly recommend you to take this journey - and have tissues close at hand.
This novel is a hidden gem.
Billie Copas
FANTASTIC BOOK! By far one of the best I have ever read, and I read A LOT! My conservative estimate is reading 50-100 books a year. Usually more though. So I know what I am talking about. This book has EVERYTHING you could ask for, drama, humor, sadness, bullying, compassion, a little bit of everything. I think it is definitely a MUST READ!!
Sandra
Sletten has written this touching story with keen sensitivity and awareness. She reminds us how valuable the gift of life is and how easily AIDS can take it away. I learned a few things about AIDS that I didn't know before and enjoyed the way the characters played out the main storyline. A well-written and smooth flowing tale.
Gina's Library
I read this book for World Literary Cafe.

When you see the book title it makes you do a double take and wonder what in the world you are getting into. Don't let the title scare you.

I loved this book. I read it in 2 days.

The topic of AIDS to some still in this day and age is a taboo subject. We all know about AIDS but no one really wants to talk about it.

This book is beautifully written. It really makes you stop and see what exactly a person with AIDS goes through. Not just the illness, but the...more
David Santos
I swear to you I am part female. I love these "Entertainment for women" stuff. Anyways. Do not judge a book by its cover or title. I now know what the title means or is referring to. I enjoyed this book.

As an author myself I can appreciate the time and effort Deanna took into writing this, clearly doing her research on the matter and putting emotion into it. I did feel however that at the start the women were harsh and easily angered towards Darla, but as the story goes on you start to feel a s...more
Margaret Tidwell
I chose this book to review and I was super excited about reading it but I was pleasantly surprised when I got into it and literally didn't want to put it down. Every time I have a few minutes with nothing to do I turned on my Nook so that I could read a little bit more even if it was only a few lines. I fell in love with the characters and was sad at the ending but I also knew how it would end once I was a few chapters into it. The one thing I can say about this book is don't judge it because o...more
Teleia
I rounded up to 4 stars... I loved this book in its entirety except the love story between Gary and Denise. It was too quick, too easy and too saccharine. I never really became attached to Denise so I wasn't invested in her. I think this would've been a better book without her story, or if her story were more fleshed out.

The title describes the three main characters: Katherine, Denise, and Darla. They all live together along with their children when tragedy strikes. I'm not going to tell you wha...more
Ruth Mancini
"Widow, Virgin, Whore" is an original and thought-provoking story of female friendship and how those friendships hold together in troubled times...exactly the sort of novel I enjoy. I found it to be well-written and the personalities of Katherine, Darla and Denise true to life. Each woman had a very different personality and their individual reactions when tragedy strikes are both credible and interesting. I commend this author too for raising awareness of a disease that is still prevalent and m...more
Julia
Jul 29, 2014 Julia added it
Shelves: free-ebooks
Very brief none-spoiler synopsis: 30-somethings Kathy, Denise (her best friend), and Darla (Denise's sister) move into a house together. Kathy is actually a widow (with a son), Denise is "the virgin", and Darla is "the whore" (with a daughter). Darla ends up with AIDS. The book covers how they all deal with it.

As several others have noted, the reactions AIDS in this book seems quite dated, even allowing for the author's introductory note that the novel takes place circa 2000.

The Good: Ultimately...more
Janey
*Review copy provided by and review previously published on the sadly defunct www.bookstackreviews.com*

Summary
Three different women, with clashing lifestyles and attitudes, are thrown together by an accident of birth. Lifelong friends Katherine and Denise find their world disrupted by Denise’s wayward sister Darla, whose footloose lifestyle causes friction at every turn. Upbeat and seemingly carefree even after being diagnosed with AIDS, Darla faces a tough reality when her condition becomes pub...more
Lillian Jade
This book comes with all the baggage one might expect from the perspective of three woman characters. I was expecting more smut from the title, rather than the emotion the story pulled from me. I became attached to Katherine, and when Darla was diagnosed with aids, it broadened my knowledge to a depth that I was unprepared for. Tragedy strikes as the woman form a very real binding friendship with one another. A story of the suffering Aids brings which was beautifully written.
What an amazing story. I have been crying for hours while reading this and it started just before the halfway point. I feel like I know these ladies and can only imagine what they went through. I would like to say that this is one I would read again, but I'm not sure I could handle these strong emotions again. Thank you Ms. Sletten for a great story...I will miss Katherine, and the Richard's sisters as well as those in the group. Wow....
Sian
I have really enjoyed this book, I read it in one sitting, which is unusual for me. I thought the level of information which was in this book and the treatment of the characters was totally amazing. There was one part that didn't sit well with me, which is why I only gave it four stars, and this had to do with the Vietnam Vet. Anyway, that isn't enough to put me off giving this book a 4.5 stars, and I definately recommend it!
This book reads like it was written at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic with the majority of the characters being ignorant about the effects and causes of AIDS. I believe it is meant to be set in the current era. The writing ranges from juvenile to evocative. Often in the same sentence. You can see the plot coming a mile away. It was alright but I am glad I didn't spend money on it.
Kristy Matye
A sad story about a woman who contacted AIDS and how she finally finds herself before she passes. It captured the reality of this deadly disease and opened my eyes to the struggle that happens not only to the sick person but the family and friends as well. A great story to create awareness about AIDS in society.
Dewanna L. Durbin
I wasn't sure about this book when I downloaded it, but I'm so glad I did. It's one of the most emotionally powerful books I've read in a long time. You will laugh, you will cry, you will rage along with the characters. Take a chance, just be sure to keep plenty of tissues by your side.
Julia
I actually started this book on July 27 and finished August 10.

This is a beautiful story of friendship, romance, motherhood, etc...it will bring out several emotions and provoke deep thought about some very serious issues in our world today. Terrific message and story!
Debbie
Found this book hard to put down and it didn't take long at all to get into it. I never got bored though some of the characters needed more development. A human story that needs telling, over and over. Lots of tears were shed knowing what was inevitable.

Cassie Hess-dean
This is a book where 3 women have a friendship that grows and changes during a very difficult time. Aids has a large part on making these friendships change and strengthen. Hard book to get through without tears but very worth it!!!
Lisa Ackroyd
This book was the most heartwarming story I have read in a long time. I wanted to be friends with the main characters. What strong women! I commend the author for writing a story that tugs at the readers heart strings. Thank you!
Francis Potts
While I don't fit into any of the categories (widow etc), I found this a moving read. To begin with, I had no idea where it was going, and I found the characters irritating, but suddenly everything gelled, and I was hooked. A great story.
Jenny Everett
This book was really helpful to understand what people with AIDS and their loved ones go through. I really liked the book, and I read it in one sitting! I'd recommend this book to anyone who's curious about AIDS at all.
Q&A with Dean...: Which Movies Make You Cry? 1 3 Sep 21, 2012 10:46PM
  • Torn
  • The Ninth Step
  • Absence of Grace
  • Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1)
  • Spirit Horses
  • Seeing Julia
  • The Truth About Us
  • Evan After
  • Vada Faith
  • The Guestbook (Madrona Island, #1)
  • Fires Of Autumn (American Heroes, #12)
  • Cafe Du Jour
Deanna Lynn Sletten is a bestselling and award-winning author. She writes heartwarming romances and women's fiction novels with characters that will touch your heart. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime.

Deanna's women's fiction novel, Widow, Virgin, Whore, made the top 100 bestselling books on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble in March 2014....more
More about Deanna Lynn Sletten...
Memories Sara's Promise Maggie's Turn Outlaw Heroes Summer of the Loon

“You're still alive. Be thankful for that. You can still walk and talk and think. Yes, you feel like shit most of the time, but it could be worse. So instead of sitting in your room waiting to die, why don't you join in on life until you do die? Dammit! Get off your dead ass and make something of the life you still have left!” 7 likes
“Darla shook her head, a small smirk on her lips. “You’re such a mom,” she told Katherine.
Katherine stared at her, puzzled. “You’re a mom, too,” she said softly.
“No, I gave birth. That doesn’t make me a mom. Not like you.”
A look passed between the two women like none they had ever shared before. For a split second, Katherine felt a slight connection. “Well, you rest. I’ll check on you later.” She turned and left the room, a funny, unexplainable feeling inside her.”
3 likes