Start by marking “Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health” as Want to Read:
Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health

Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health

3.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
If you’re interested in how things work, this guide will help you experiment with one crucial system you usually ignore—your body and its health. Long hours focusing on code or circuits tends to stifle notions of nutrition, but with this educational and highly useful book you can approach fitness through science, whether it’s investigating your ancestral health or using th ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fitness for Geeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fitness for Geeks

Jessica
Oct 06, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. Seriously. You can do better.
Shelves: fitness, cooking
I got this book for my husband, thinking that he would enjoy it as a geek. I imagined it would clearly lay out the science behind diet and exercise principles in a scientific manner, leaving out the photos of musclebound dudes that I'd imagine would turn off a geek from other fitness books.

What was I not expecting? A thinly veiled piece of Paleo diet propaganda. When I say veiled, I only mean that it was not mentioned on the front or back covers. I'm not saying paleo doesn't work for some people
Craig Maloney
Jul 16, 2012 Craig Maloney rated it it was ok
I tried to like this book.

About three chapters in, I decided this book wasn't for me. From indirectly talking about people's auras after working out, to indirectly recommending paleo diets, this book just hit my woo-woo trigger one too many times. I enjoyed the discussion about different sites for tracking fitness, but when push came to shove about nutrition and such, I felt like I was spending more time on the web trying to verify every little piece of information in this book. I felt like I wa
Rod Hilton
Sep 19, 2012 Rod Hilton rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, technology
Fitness for Geeks is a cool idea, an O'Reilly book, targeted at geeks, all about staying healthy. As a geek who has lost 100 pounds in the last few years and who wants to lose 40 more, this was the perfect book for me. Or so I thought.

The book is actually very disappointing. Despite clearly being targeted at geeks (it even includes a number of detailed references to programming), it's unsatisfying. A chapter on nutrients goes into extremely "geeky" detail about the chemical makeup of various foo
Lauren
Aug 30, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fitness-wellness
There were some really great sections in this book. I particularly enjoyed the detailed explanations and the nutrition science sections (even showing what macronutrient molecules look like). The strength of the book also comes from the quality sidebars that share interviews with medical and sports professionals , or share recent research findings. I found this particularly helpful in the 'intermittent fasting' section and in interval training section regarding Tabatas, etc. I also liked the Outd ...more
Susan Visser
May 23, 2012 Susan Visser rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I'm glad I read the book, but it could have been so much better! Here are some things I think could have been improved:

1) Nitpick, but it makes a difference: be consistent with your use of measurements. The book was all over the map... metric, imperial, and even really old fashion (pints??). Being from Canada we are well versed in both major measurement systems, but the way most authors handle is they put one unit in parenthesis.

2) Who is the audience? You had me fooled at the beginning. I reall
Mark
Nov 02, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
If you are looking for a book which presents a systematic model for fitness that is backed by well integrated science, you will be disappointed. Likewise, if you are looking from a book to give you a simple plan to follow, you will be disappointed. This book does cite a number of science studies, and has some broad organizing principles, but nothing I would bet my life on. We still don't really understand a lot about how our bodies work, they are extremely complex systems, so I shouldn't be surp ...more
John Constable
Aug 30, 2012 John Constable rated it really liked it
I bought this pretty much the day it came out, if memory serves; I think there was an O Reilly ‘deal of the day’, or bundle, or some-such, and I’d been meaning to get it anyway. I got about a couple of chapters in and the Hugo Voters Packet descended, and I didn’t read much else for a while, but went back to it for something more factual every now and again. Once The Hugo season was over, I got back into it in earnest.

Initially it got off to a good start, with a round-up of some healthy lifestyl
Shawn
Jul 19, 2012 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Having thoroughly enjoyed Cooking for Geeks (which I highly recommend), when I saw that a similarly novel approach to fitness was available I was all on board to enjoy this one as well. And…enjoy it I did. Bruce Perry’s approach in Fitness for Geeks is a comprehensive and quirky walk through a new way of imagining fitness. As the author quickly points out, things such as fitness, diets, ets are ejected from the discussion — not for lack of relevance but simply because they connote some popular d ...more
Klokketoren
Mar 06, 2016 Klokketoren rated it liked it
Not bad, but it could be much better.

Why are some topics — like vitamins — written in so much detail, while chapters like imminent fasting are so superficial?

Don't expect too many tips or action plans. This book introduces you to some aspects and new ideas but you may want to do your own research and read more ...

If you are (or about to get) serious about fitness, this is a decent, introduction to some fitness aspects. I definitely recommend reading more things that go into detail.
Mariano
May 13, 2012 Mariano rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fitness
It was a nice, straightforward, easy reading, with useful, practical information, and lots of references to websites and/or other books to get more details about the covered topics.
As for the "geek" part, I think is a bit overrated, and quite a few of the "for geeks" tips & tricks might seem obvious and even kind of silly if you are a computer geek (but maybe for other geeks are ok?).
I picked this book with a lot of reservations, because I was afraid of it trying to "sell" some silver bullet
Avvitare Mente
i've read this book the entire night ,, dufak !!! what's wrong with ppl ,, y the refuse to look sexy !! i mean they always want to look fabelous ,, i know its painful sometimes but u'll huv a legendary body ,, its not that complicated !! i feel pethatic for 'em !! anyway great book !! great tips ,, ganna learn a lot from it :)
Jason
Aug 13, 2014 Jason rated it it was ok
Heavy focus on fitness gadgets and gimmicks, but lacks a comprehensive overview of exercise physiology and approaches to improving performance through technology.
S
Oct 22, 2014 S rated it liked it
Addresses the subset of people who like to take data driven decisions.
Brian Glass
Jun 01, 2015 Brian Glass rated it really liked it
This book is a nice overview of present views on health and fitness with a bent toward geeks. The trouble with writing a book of this nature, is that the information is out of date within a year or two. The author gives a nice overview of several fitness tracking sites and devices, but also covers trending topics like intermittent fasting. It will be obsolete within another couple years unless updated, but is worth reading as a way of keeping one's finger on the pulse of fitness culture. It is n ...more
Craig
Sep 13, 2012 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: science-research
This is a very good book, that wasn't what I wanted or expected. I was looking for some good information on exercises; which it had, and even had some app and website suggestions.

It also has a LOT of detailed information on everything about fitness, from nutrition to sleep. While I didn't know all the details, I knew enough for what I want (and what I am, as yet, unwilling to change).

If you are a geek, and want good, detailed information on everything about fitness, this book has that for you.
Rayn
Aug 16, 2012 Rayn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Geeks who want to get fit.
Shelves:
Giving this book a 5 stars because of a few reasons. It's reinforcing my decisions I made before I picked the book up, talks about tools I was already using etc. That's part 1. The primary reason though is you can upgrade this book with O'Reilly for $4.99 and get free updates when they come down. I'm hoping for updates as the burgeoning idea of kicking it old school with our ancient ancestor's way of life get's more researched and respected.

SCIENCE!
James Tharpe
Sep 16, 2012 James Tharpe rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book on fitness I've ever read. It goes into the biology and chemistry of nutrition and exercise, and provides lots of references to studies and data to for the true "geeks" that want to know more. There's no "plan" in the book, and I think that's a good thing - instead you are provided with the tools and information you need to form a plan that works well for you.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 613.7 Perry B

Madeleine - 2 stars
The information in the book is current. If you know a true blue geek who only knows orcs then this might be necessary to get through. But as an IT person myself, I found it a bit ridiculous and pandering. I don't need my body described to me as an Operating System for me to be able to understand what you're talking about.
Damir
Oct 21, 2014 Damir rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-improvement
Informative.
Yet, the title betrays the content.
It's a thinly veiled paleo diet manual, which in itself is not a bad thing (and for some people paleo works great), but the title is totally misleading!

I still give it two stars for the online tools bit, but everything else is actually easily found online and in other, more appropriately named books.
William
May 19, 2012 William rated it really liked it
I found the book interesting, with the exception of chapters three and four, which seemed to be pretty much a listing of vitamins and nutrients. I'm not sure how useful the information is, but I enjoyed reading it.

I reviewed it earlier this month at Vulcan Ears Book Reviews.
Andrew Doran
Mar 29, 2014 Andrew Doran rated it liked it
Turns out there is no substitute to watching your diet and engaging in physical activity. Some good insights behind the science of nutrition and exercise, however I got a bit lost in the detail. Would be useful to pick this up again as a reference book if I ever commit to a health regime.
Keith Martin
May 11, 2012 Keith Martin rated it it was ok

Poorly written, poorly edited (at least in the kindle edition). It seems borderline sensationalist, without solid backing evidence or specific actionable recommendations. I recommend Tim Ferriss's "4-Hour Body" instead...at least that book is forthright about its assumptions.
Desty
Sep 30, 2015 Desty rated it liked it
Zajímavý přehled všeho možného v oblasti fitness. Od rozboru jednotlivých mikro a makro život, až po posilovací cviky a některé další pomocné metody, které nám pomohou v udržení dobré kondice. Rozbor řady nástrojů a webových stránek pro sledování naší kondice.
Samuel Proulx
Jan 06, 2015 Samuel Proulx rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The advice for adding more physical activity into daily life contained in this book is quite valuable. The advice on food, however, not so much; cost and practicality take an extreme back seat in these sections.
Brett
May 19, 2012 Brett rated it it was ok
Sections of the book are information dense and interesting. However, the book is repetitious in parts, contains a number if anecdotes of no interest, is not very cohesive, and contains lots of pointless asides.
David
Oct 08, 2012 David rated it liked it

Decent fitness book that reads like a long lifehacker story. The recommended fitness tools were useful. The book covers Paleo diet and crossfit.
Abhishek Kona
May 12, 2012 Abhishek Kona rated it it was ok
A book rich in detail. Touches a lot of topics and bombards with a lot of facts. After a few chapters Titu just stop following what the author is saying.
Michelle
Jun 17, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Maybe a little TOO geeky for me. I did enjoy the discussion of various fitness/nutrition websites and apps.
hissi
Jul 28, 2012 hissi rated it it was amazing
very informative. i loved it.. a bit geeky but i guess thats obvious from the title
Tamahome
Jun 05, 2012 Tamahome marked it as to-read
He was just on the Gweek podcast (boingboing).

The ebook is $16.99??

Treating Muscle Spasms And Cramps Pure Testo Xplode 1 1 Jul 10, 2015 08:33PM
GeekMom: Fitness for Geeks 1 12 Jun 26, 2012 12:45PM
  • Super Cleanse: Detox Your Body for Long-Lasting Health and Beauty
  • Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise
  • The Hacker's Diet: How to Lose Weight and Hair Through Stress and Poor Nutrition
  • Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners
  • The Eden Diet
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Organic Gardening Beginner's Manual
  • The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • Body by God: The Owner's Manual for Maximized Living
  • Eat for Heat
  • The Logic of Chance: The Nature and Origin of Biological Evolution
  • Flask Web Development: Developing Web Applications with Python
  • A Little Bit Can Hurt
  • The H2O Diet: How to Eat, Exercise, Drink and Dream.
  • RX from the Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • Live Organic: 52 Brilliant Ideas for an Altogether Natural Lifestyle
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts. It's a small town with an incredible literary and political history–Emerson, Thoreau, Melville, Hawthorne, Alcott. When you come from that town, reading and writing become an important part of your culture as a kid. I believe the seeds of my love of writing and reading were planted there.

I often think of what these Concord masters would be writing about if they
More about Bruce W. Perry...