Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health

Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  28 reviews
If you’re interested in how things work, this guide will help you experiment with one crucial system you usually ignore—your body and its health. Long hours focusing on code or circuits tends to stifle notions of nutrition, but with this educational and highly useful book you can approach fitness through science, whether it’s investigating your ancestral health or using th...more
Published May 1st 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

Jessica
Oct 06, 2012 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one. Seriously. You can do better.
Shelves: fitness, cooking
I got this book for my husband, thinking that he would enjoy it as a geek. I imagined it would clearly lay out the science behind diet and exercise principles in a scientific manner, leaving out the photos of musclebound dudes that I'd imagine would turn off a geek from other fitness books.

What was I not expecting? A thinly veiled piece of Paleo diet propaganda. When I say veiled, I only mean that it was not mentioned on the front or back covers. I'm not saying paleo doesn't work for some people...more
Craig Maloney
I tried to like this book.

About three chapters in, I decided this book wasn't for me. From indirectly talking about people's auras after working out, to indirectly recommending paleo diets, this book just hit my woo-woo trigger one too many times. I enjoyed the discussion about different sites for tracking fitness, but when push came to shove about nutrition and such, I felt like I was spending more time on the web trying to verify every little piece of information in this book. I felt like I wa...more
Lauren
There were some really great sections in this book. I particularly enjoyed the detailed explanations and the nutrition science sections (even showing what macronutrient molecules look like). The strength of the book also comes from the quality sidebars that share interviews with medical and sports professionals , or share recent research findings. I found this particularly helpful in the 'intermittent fasting' section and in interval training section regarding Tabatas, etc. I also liked the Outd...more
Rod Hilton
Fitness for Geeks is a cool idea, an O'Reilly book, targeted at geeks, all about staying healthy. As a geek who has lost 100 pounds in the last few years and who wants to lose 40 more, this was the perfect book for me. Or so I thought.

The book is actually very disappointing. Despite clearly being targeted at geeks (it even includes a number of detailed references to programming), it's unsatisfying. A chapter on nutrients goes into extremely "geeky" detail about the chemical makeup of various foo...more
Susan Visser
I'm glad I read the book, but it could have been so much better! Here are some things I think could have been improved:

1) Nitpick, but it makes a difference: be consistent with your use of measurements. The book was all over the map... metric, imperial, and even really old fashion (pints??). Being from Canada we are well versed in both major measurement systems, but the way most authors handle is they put one unit in parenthesis.

2) Who is the audience? You had me fooled at the beginning. I reall...more
Mark
If you are looking for a book which presents a systematic model for fitness that is backed by well integrated science, you will be disappointed. Likewise, if you are looking from a book to give you a simple plan to follow, you will be disappointed. This book does cite a number of science studies, and has some broad organizing principles, but nothing I would bet my life on. We still don't really understand a lot about how our bodies work, they are extremely complex systems, so I shouldn't be surp...more
John Constable
I bought this pretty much the day it came out, if memory serves; I think there was an O Reilly ‘deal of the day’, or bundle, or some-such, and I’d been meaning to get it anyway. I got about a couple of chapters in and the Hugo Voters Packet descended, and I didn’t read much else for a while, but went back to it for something more factual every now and again. Once The Hugo season was over, I got back into it in earnest.

Initially it got off to a good start, with a round-up of some healthy lifestyl...more
Shawn
Hav­ing thor­oughly enjoyed Cook­ing for Geeks (which I highly recom­mend), when I saw that a sim­il­arly novel approach to fit­ness was avail­able I was all on board to enjoy this one as well. And…enjoy it I did. Bruce Perry’s approach in Fit­ness for Geeks is a com­pre­hens­ive and quirky walk through a new way of ima­gin­ing fit­ness. As the author quickly points out, things such as fit­ness, diets, ets are ejec­ted from the dis­cus­sion — not for lack of rel­ev­ance but simply because they c...more
Mariano
It was a nice, straightforward, easy reading, with useful, practical information, and lots of references to websites and/or other books to get more details about the covered topics.
As for the "geek" part, I think is a bit overrated, and quite a few of the "for geeks" tips & tricks might seem obvious and even kind of silly if you are a computer geek (but maybe for other geeks are ok?).
I picked this book with a lot of reservations, because I was afraid of it trying to "sell" some silver bullet...more
Craig
This is a very good book, that wasn't what I wanted or expected. I was looking for some good information on exercises; which it had, and even had some app and website suggestions.

It also has a LOT of detailed information on everything about fitness, from nutrition to sleep. While I didn't know all the details, I knew enough for what I want (and what I am, as yet, unwilling to change).

If you are a geek, and want good, detailed information on everything about fitness, this book has that for you.
Rayn
Aug 16, 2012 Rayn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Geeks who want to get fit.
Giving this book a 5 stars because of a few reasons. It's reinforcing my decisions I made before I picked the book up, talks about tools I was already using etc. That's part 1. The primary reason though is you can upgrade this book with O'Reilly for $4.99 and get free updates when they come down. I'm hoping for updates as the burgeoning idea of kicking it old school with our ancient ancestor's way of life get's more researched and respected.

SCIENCE!
James Tharpe
This is probably the best book on fitness I've ever read. It goes into the biology and chemistry of nutrition and exercise, and provides lots of references to studies and data to for the true "geeks" that want to know more. There's no "plan" in the book, and I think that's a good thing - instead you are provided with the tools and information you need to form a plan that works well for you.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 613.7 Perry B

Madeleine - 2 stars
The information in the book is current. If you know a true blue geek who only knows orcs then this might be necessary to get through. But as an IT person myself, I found it a bit ridiculous and pandering. I don't need my body described to me as an Operating System for me to be able to understand what you're talking about.
Damir
Informative.
Yet, the title betrays the content.
It's a thinly veiled paleo diet manual, which in itself is not a bad thing (and for some people paleo works great), but the title is totally misleading!

I still give it two stars for the online tools bit, but everything else is actually easily found online and in other, more appropriately named books.
William
I found the book interesting, with the exception of chapters three and four, which seemed to be pretty much a listing of vitamins and nutrients. I'm not sure how useful the information is, but I enjoyed reading it.

I reviewed it earlier this month at Vulcan Ears Book Reviews.
Andrew Doran
Turns out there is no substitute to watching your diet and engaging in physical activity. Some good insights behind the science of nutrition and exercise, however I got a bit lost in the detail. Would be useful to pick this up again as a reference book if I ever commit to a health regime.
Keith Martin

Poorly written, poorly edited (at least in the kindle edition). It seems borderline sensationalist, without solid backing evidence or specific actionable recommendations. I recommend Tim Ferriss's "4-Hour Body" instead...at least that book is forthright about its assumptions.
Samuel Proulx
The advice for adding more physical activity into daily life contained in this book is quite valuable. The advice on food, however, not so much; cost and practicality take an extreme back seat in these sections.
Brett
Sections of the book are information dense and interesting. However, the book is repetitious in parts, contains a number if anecdotes of no interest, is not very cohesive, and contains lots of pointless asides.
David

Decent fitness book that reads like a long lifehacker story. The recommended fitness tools were useful. The book covers Paleo diet and crossfit.
Abhishek Kona
A book rich in detail. Touches a lot of topics and bombards with a lot of facts. After a few chapters Titu just stop following what the author is saying.
Michelle
Maybe a little TOO geeky for me. I did enjoy the discussion of various fitness/nutrition websites and apps.
Deviant Geek
very informative. i loved it.. a bit geeky but i guess thats obvious from the title
Tamahome
Jun 05, 2012 Tamahome marked it as to-read
He was just on the Gweek podcast (boingboing).

The ebook is $16.99??

Jacqui
Lots of good science based information on fitness, with a light style.
Hussain
I use this book as reference for measurements and infos, love it!
Hamp
Everything was explained in just the amount of detail that I wanted.
Regina Hunter
Have two words for this book: Horse shit!
bubblesm
Love this book .. but very paleo centric.
Marvin
Marvin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
GeekMom: Fitness for Geeks 1 12 Jun 26, 2012 12:45PM
I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts. It's a small town with an incredible literary and political history–Emerson, Thoreau, Melville, Hawthorne, Alcott. When you come from that town, reading and writing become an important part of your culture as a kid. I believe the seeds of my love of writing and reading were planted there.

I often think of what these Concord masters would be writing about if they...more
More about Bruce W. Perry...
Ajax Hacks: Tips & Tools for Creating Responsive Web Sites Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook AppleScript in a Nutshell Gone On Kauai