There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  80 reviews
There was an old lady who's ready for school!

That lovely old lady has returned just in time for the first day of school. Now she's swallowing items to make the very best of her first day back. And just in time for the bus...

With rhyming text and funny illustrations, this lively version of the classic song will appeal to young readers with every turn of the page--a fun stor...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Megan Moriarty
This book is another spin off of the original story "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". The book starts off with the old lady swallowing some books. It continues with her swallowing all different kinds of school supplies. At the end, she swallows a backpack. When the children come around the corner in the school bus, she lets out a cheer and out pops the backpack. This book is intended for younger elementary students around kindergarten or first grade. This book is a good fit for them b...more
Jennifer Peterson
This book is one of numerous stories in the "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed..." series. I am normally a big fan of these, but I must admit, this one was not my favorite. In the story, the old lady swallows school supplies one by one and eventually cheers and pops out a brand-new backpack. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't enjoy this as much as the others in the series. It just didn't seem to flow as well. And as my son quickly pointed out, "the old lady didn't even swallow any straps to po...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The amazing old lady who swallows strange objects is back! This time she swallows supplies, just in time for school.

Colandro and Lee have teamed up to write many books about this strange old lady. Readers can enjoy a wide range of topics from seasons to holidays. They are entertaining and enjoyable to sing or read aloud.

Sadly, their newest book is not a favorite for me. I was hoping it had a library theme, but it was a school theme. The school supplies were books, pens, pencil case, ruler, (fil...more
Natalie Heavrin
This is the only other book I have read in the series besides the original "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." I thought it was pretty good, but didn't seem to flow together well enough to sing as a song. Yet, it would give the children some exposure to rhyming and patterns. I think they would enjoy it because it is so silly for a woman to swallow school supplies. On the last page, it says "Have a great school year!" It would be a fun book to read on the first day.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books! by Lucille Colandro
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed some Books
Lucille Colandro
Illustrated by Jared Lee
Scholastic Press
2012
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read. http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books is a picture book aimed at preschool age children. The text is written with a pattern of a rhyme scheme, a parody of the original nursery rhyme There was an Old Lady Who Swallow...more
Jackie Douthat
This is a great book with sequencing! In the classroom this would be a great book to let the kids act out. Using props, and reading the story.
Alice
I was hoping for something...more.
Samantha  DuPree
There is an old lady who one day swallows some books and no one knows why she does this but she doesn’t get any looks. She then swallows a pen to write in the books, a pencil case to hold the pen, and a ruler to measure the pencil case. She then swallows a folder to protect the ruler, some chalk to decorate the folder, and finally a bag. Then a yellow school bus comes around the corner and the old lady cheers and out pops a new backpack full of all the things she swallowed and now she is ready...more
Megan Going
This funny book is about an old lady who is getting ready for the first day of school. She is trying to be her best for school and ends up swallowing all her school items including books. The text has lots of rhyming which makes the book very similar to a song. It is also a book in a series of “There was an Old Lady…” books where she swallows flies and other strange things.
Gina Diloreto
Colandro, L. "There was an old lady who swallowed some books!" (2012). New York: Scholastic.

This is a funny, silly, rhyming tale of an old woman who progressively swallows more and more objects, all relating to school. In the end, all the items she swallowed pop out of her mouth, neatly contained in a back pack!
Allyson Smith
I love this book! It is a great first day of school book to read with the fun illustrations and silly pictures. The book is about an old lady who swallows a book, a folder, a ruler, a pen and a bunch of other school supplies. It is perfect for beginning readers because it written with repetitive text the kids can read with you. The illustrations are fun and reinforce the text so the students can see exactly what is happening in the story. When it says she swallows a folder, you see a picture of...more
Pam
Some questionable rhymes...and how does one swallow books? Does she chop them up into tiny pieces and bake them in a meatball? Well, that's my idea, anyway. I like to original song better.
Jennifer Velez
This book is one of many from the different books of the old lady that swallowed something. I bought this book at the book fair at my placement, and the students were very excited when they saw me buying this book. The students said they love those books because they are silly. This book is about the old lady who swallowed a book first and then she started swallowing other different school supplies. I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations. I believe I could use this book in my future class...more
Sonia
It's was an easy read, especially for kids. I just wondered why she did everything that she did. It's not fully answered.
Mariamawit Habtamu
Pre K – First Grade
This is a fun book to read with rhyming words. It’s about a lady who eats weird things. The fun rhyming words will get children excited to follow the book and they would also enjoy the funny pictures.

Learning Experience
I will make matching cards using words and pictures form the book. Children will get to match pictures and words together; for example I will have a picture of a pencil case and have the word pencil case children will then match the pencil case with the word pen...more
Michel Butler
The old lady is back in this fun twist on the original There Was An Old Lady tale. In this book, the old lady swallows a number of items, and in the end, she coughs up a backpack full of supplies needed to start the school year off right. Not only does this book teach sequencing, it's a part of a series by Lucille Colandro that can be used by teachers during different times of the year. I love doing story baskets, and this series makes it really easy to keep the old lady in my class.
Stephanie
Everyone remembers the story of the little old lady that swallowed a fly. This story is similar in that the little old lady swallowed several different things to work with the thing she swallowed right before it. This book is great for shared reading in the classroom. Teachers can work with the students on rhyming and predicting. The work that can be done with the book is mainly for younger students but it can be adapted for older elementary students.
Jasmine Robinson
This is a very fun book for children to read. These series of books are very entertaining and funny. I believe children will love this book just because it shows the silly and fun side to school and teachers. The illustrations are great and the story keeps the readers wondering what the Old Lady swallowed next. Anyone reading the book to children could use the children to help with the story by repeating back everything as they do in the book.
Jen Kahl
The "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed..." book series is very enjoyable for primary aged students. The humor in these stories offers much excitement for children. This book is about the old lady swallowing school supplies until she has swallowed them all. When she began to cheer, out popped a backpack. The last page says "Have a great school year!" so I believe this would definitely help break the ice in a new classroom!
Ileana Lindner
I like this "Old Lady" book a little bit more than the others simply because it can set me up for a talk about ingesting books. Even though we don't necessarily swallow books, we take in everything that a book has to offer. Obviously it is a fun sequencing book that all students really enjoy to listen to. YOU MUST START WITH THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY, to begin the tradition!
Mrs_Ruigrok Ruigrok
I love the illustrations and the idea of this book is a good one..but the rhymes and the flow are being lost as more and more are being written.. The first page says "Ther was an old lady who swallowed some books. I don't know why she swallowed those books, but she didn't get any looks."
I always sing these books to my students and this mouthful is hard to sing!!
Jennifer Park
This is a book that students will love and laugh about it. It is about a lady who swallows books and other school supplies. There are so many lessons you can do with this book. You can compare this book with the "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly", we can talk about the words that rhyme in the book, and talk about the order of events in it.
Ms. B
I was excited to read this one after seeing it in the Spring Scholastic Book Fair preview video. It looked funny; it sounded funny. It was the one book I brought home from the Book Fair to read this weekend. After reading it, I felt let down. It just wasn't funny to me. It left me wondering if my students will see the humor in it or not.
Emily Steffen
"There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!" is another spin-off from the many other books about the Old Lady who swallows things! This one is especially fun for teachers to read to students on the first day of school, to lighten the mood! The end of this book is really what makes it. It is a creative ending that readers will not expect!
Oanh
Another one of the spin-offs to the original "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" but this one seems to be just OK to me. This time the Old Lady swallows some school supplies for the arrival of school. I would read this book as a fun way to welcome younger students to the start of the new school year and to work on sequencing as well.
Danielle Butler
This book is about a lady that is swallowing all the school supplies. This book would be useful to use at the beginning of the year to help teach the name of different school supplies the students may be using. This book also provides students with a chance to strengthen memory skills and sequence of events by recalling what she swallowed.
Carol Royce Owen
Some authors I want to tell - "please stop," and after reading this book, I'm adding this author to the list. These "There was an Old Lady..." stories are getting old, and this one I found pretty contrived. The rhymes just didn't work well, and I don't see kids getting into it like the original. Sorry. It just doesn't pass the grade.
Elizabeth Schrank
This is a fun twist on the original story There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. I think children will enjoy this version of the story because it is related to school which is something they are familiar with. Also, the illustrations are very funny. I think this would be a good book to read towards the beginning of the year.
Amy
My kids love this book series and the opportunity each one lends to interacting between author and reader. A good addition to my list of staples for the beginning of the year. My Kindergarten kids will have fun with it, just like they do with the other books in this series. Looking forward to seeing/hearing their reaction.
Katrina Kim
Series!
- Read at the beginning of school
- Introduces the concept of patterns
New vocab--
Predictions: What will she swallow next?

- Have students make up a list of what they would bring on the first day of school

- Why did she swallow all those items? If we were to really swallow these items would we get sick?
  • There's a Fly Guy in My Soup (Fly Guy, #12)
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • My Teacher For President
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • Froggy's Sleepover
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat! There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves! There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow! There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Shell! There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!