The Anniversary Waltz: A novel

The Anniversary Waltz: A novel

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  62 reviews
At their sixtieth anniversary party, Adam Carlson asks his wife, Elizabeth, for their customary waltz. After the dance they gather the family and share their story—a story of love and courage overcoming adversity and thriving in the face of overwhelming odds.

It’s the summer of 1946, and Adam has just returned from the war to his home in Reunion, Montana. At a town festival...more
Published May 15th 2012 by Realms

Katie
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

This book was almost a four stars for me…but because I had to urge myself to continue reading in some places, I decided to give it three stars. Darnell Nelson’s debut romance, The Anniversary Waltz, really is a precious story of family, love, tragedy, and God’s amazing grace worked through the lives of these characters.

The romance was my favorite aspect to the novel—it was so tender and sweet. Sure to please many readers who want a “sigh-worthy” book....more
Kate
When the hardship and reality of life encompass and saturate can it be possible to see beyond with enough hope for the future?

Adam Carlson and his wife Elizabeth have been married for sixty years. With family gathered for their anniversary party, the couple share with all their life story which began in 1946.

Adam has been away at war enlisted in the army for four years and arrives home in Reunion Montana. He travels back to the farm home and family he left and back to his old way of life.

Elizabe...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ by Darrel Nelson is an interesting christian romance/fiction. It interweaves past with present memories as Adam and Elizabeth Carlson celebrate their sixtieth anniversary. It is an emotional story that transports the readers back to a time following World War II as love,courage,faith,healing,tragedy and adversity comes to past. A story filled with a wide range of emotions emerge as you read this heart wretching story that transcends sixty years of romance and love. *Be warn...more
Megan
When my husband and I were dating, I used to make him promise me fifty years, and we sometimes still bring it up. By his count, he's only stuck with me for 36 more years, (but I keep extending it)ann! In The Anniversary Waltz, Adam and Elizabeth Carlson are celebrating their 60th anniversary! What a beautiful blessing!

The book takes readers through their history together starting with Adam, a young soldier returning from WWII and Elizabeth, dating his old high school rival. The two meet and even...more
Ladette
Maureen Timerman
I loved this book, and could not put it down! The Prologue of the book let me know that Adam and Elizabeth ended up together, and were celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary.
When the story opened Elizabeth was dating a banker named Nathan, and Adam was just returning from WWII. Such sweet reunions he had with his family, only his Dad Nathan still seems to be holding a grudge.
There are so many tender moments ...like when Aunt Lenora gives Elizabeth her Mother's rings! Then there are some tra...more
Tamara
What a beautiful book! It is such a sweet love story and I thoroughly enjoyed being transported back in time to the days following the second World War. I enjoyed living the character's lives with them and it made me long to experience life in a simpler time. I fell in love with Reunion, Montana - the small town the book takes place in - it made me very nostalgic for the life I experienced growing up in a small town similar to Reunion. The characters are rich and the love story beautiful. I coul...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***4.5 stars***

The Anniversary Waltz is a beautiful story of what it really means to love someone else.

The story begins at a 60th anniversary party for Adam and Elizabeth. Their family is brought to tears as they do their customary waltz. It ends with them standing still, holding each other, then a tender kiss.

The main part of the story occurs in the 1940's, after WWII has ended. Adam and Elizabeth share their love story, how they met and the events that led to their memorable wedding.

Adam is re...more
Lisa
I loved it! It caught my attention in the very first pages, and kept it throughout the entire book. I could hardly put it down, and finished it in two days. It was such a sweet love story, and I enjoyed being taken back in time, through the war and periods of economic hardship. Darrel Nelson's writing style has such nice flow and he was able to paint a beautiful picture of what it would have been like back then. Definitely one of my favorites!
Althea Thompson
What a great read! I read this book in 2 nights because I could not put it down! The story line is gripping and the character development is strong. There was not a dull page in the book. I felt the need to keep reading just to see that the characters turned out alright in the end. This was not a difficult read, and I recommend it to any fiction romance fan on a rainy Saturday afternoon. You won't be disappointed!
Danni
This book made me cry. I loved it. It was such a sweet romance.
Katie
Jun 10, 2012 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Review originally found -here-.

When I first received an email from Glass Road Publishers asking if I would care to join in on this blog tour, I wasn't sure I would be able to commit fully with my busy schedule. Yet, as soon as I had read the title and description of the book, I found myself responding back with a hearty 'yes'. The first thing to catch my attention was the fact that this is Mr. Darrel Nelson's first published book. As an aspiring writer myself, I love taking opportunities to e...more
Charity
Anyone ever read a debut novel that just totally surprised you? Well, that is what happened to me when I read The Anniversary Waltz by Darrel Nelson. This is a debut novel and set in a time frame I really don't care about reading but this book just really drew me in.

Like I already mentioned, The Anniversary Waltz totally thrilled me. This is a book set around a time of war. I am not a big fan of war books and was somewhat skeptical because of this and the debut aspect. Believe me, I have read s...more
Clarissa
I have been waiting for my copy of this book for months! I've been so excited for it. Mostly this is because I know the author. Darrel Nelson taught me in school, his wife is in my book club and we go to church together. This also made me a teensy bit worried. What if I didn't like it? I guess I could have pretended I didn't read it. Look the other way when he tried to make eye contact. Well, I'm here to tell you, that it is with a great sense of ease, relief and excitement, that, it's good. It'...more
Linda
“At their sixtieth anniversary, Adam Carlson asks his wife, Elizabeth, for their customary waltz. After the dance they gather the family and share their story…”

It’s 1946, the end of WWII, when Adam Carlson returns home to Reunion, Montana. He’s met at the bus depot by his mother, Maude, but his father, Hector, is still angry and estranged from him for going off to war when he needed help on the farm. Adam, however, picks up and starts to fix up the farm, though his father remains aloof.

Elizabeth...more
Itsjustme-wendy
This book got a lot of really good reviews. It was a sweet book, it did have some gasping moments, and it did have a good ending... but... I thought it was very slow. The whole first half of the book was about Elizabeth being with the wrong person - Nathan the jerk (and he was a jerk!), and Adan having feelings for her. This was a very slow going relationship. Maybe things do take their time like this in real life but it doesn't really make for a very interesting story.
I also wasn't feeling the...more
Patty
Imagine an anniversary party for a marriage that has lasted 60 years. The husband and wife share a waltz every year to celebrate the love that they have and to commemorate the night they fell in love. That is how this sweet tale of a long lasting love begins.

Adam and Elizabeth dance their waltz and reminisce about how it all began lo those 60 years ago when Adam was a young soldier just returned from WWII and Elizabeth a beautiful girl trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life; s...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Woo Hoo! The best part of finding new authors is like finding a real treasure, especially when the story is so good you want to share it with every single person you can find. That's just what I discovered when I opened the pages of The Anniversary Waltz by Darrel Nelson in his debut novel.

This is such a heartwarming story for lovers of history, World War II, the underdogs of the world and just pure romance told in a way only a seasoned writer would know how and that's what makes this one so spl...more
Amy Bradsher
Just home from fighting the Nazis, Adam meets Elizabeth Baxter, the town beauty, and is instantly drawn to her. Unfortunately, Elizabeth is going steady with Nathan Roberts, Adam's high school rival, and the man who holds the mortgage on his family farm. Adam expected the war's end and his homecoming to signal a return to peace, but will anything work out the way he hopes - or will he lose the girl and the farm?

Sweet. That's the most fitting word I can think of for this story. Nelson's layering...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Anniversary Waltz
by Darrel Nelson

The Anniversary Waltz is by Darrel Nelson and it is a charming debut work. The Anniversary Waltz is the story of a sixty year marriage. But it is not the marriage that comprises the story, but rather it is the story of the love before the marriage. Join Adam and Elizabeth as they share their story with their family. The story behind their waltz...

Adam Carlson has been away from Reunion, Montana for four long years. Years of war and years of pain. But pain has...more
Faye
A tale of a love that triumphs over adversities, in a touching and stunningly real way.

A skillfully written debut, about faith, and persevering in love. The Anniversary Waltz a heart-breakingly beautiful debut that focuses in on a happily married couple celebrating 60 wonderful years together. As they waltz, their memories take them back many years ago, to when they met, and the hardships they overcame to be together, through an unwavering faith.

I liked how the characters interacted and reacted...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
The Anniversary Waltz is a satisfying debut from new and talented author Darrel Nelson. I never know what to expect with debut books, as some I love, and some seem to simply be a good effort. This is definitely one of the better debuts to come along! I absolutely loved the characters who star in its pages, especially Elizabeth with her spunk and wit and refusal to simply do as expected and marry for financial security, and Adam with his patriotic passion, his longing for his father's love, and h...more
Christal
This book is beautifully written, it touches something deep inside that brings you back into the days of our grandparents and parents. A beautiful love story that takes you on a journey through love, adversity, forgiveness and deliverance.
I laughed, cried and found myself whisked away into the world of yesterday. It made me think of my grandparents and parents their love stories, their hard work, their lives, and our future.
It made me nostalgic for past years.
It made me think that every old b...more
Erica
I wanted to write a review that sounded professional and official. But I came up blank. So I'm just going to write what comes to my mind.

I really enjoyed The Anniversary Waltz. Darrel Nelson sucked me in right from the first page. He was descriptive with his explanation of the room so I could picture it perfectly, but it wasn't overdone. His descriptions throughout the book continued in the same way. I came to care right away not only about the main characters, Adam and Elizabeth, but also about...more
Tanya
Ok, this isn't my typical reading... I needed an airplane book for my holidays and wanted something sappy and romantic and that's what I got. It's predictable and somewhat saccharine, but it was a lovely, innocent love story a la Nicholas Sparks written by a Christian author who at least wrote something set later then the 1800's. There were no lonely pioneer widows, no mysterious itinerant ministers, no deaths on the trail to the west, no dangerously cynical cowbows and no young women in bonnets...more
Maggie Boyd
Adam Carlson comes home from war in 1946 to find life in Reunion, Montana has gone on without him. His parents are older, the family farm is run down - and the only girl he is interested in already has a fella. But as he and Elizabeth Baxter spend more time together they begin to be drawn to each other. Can love find a way? Even with the obstacles between them?

This is a sweet tale but I really didn't enjoy the fact that the couple becomes engaged just a day after Elizabeth breaks it off with her...more
Terisa
I think I asked my son ever week for months when I was going to get my copy of this book. Mr. Nelson taught my boy and I just couldn't wait to see how good his work was. He did an amazing job teaching and a equally amazing job with this book. I really liked it. It took me a bit to get into it but once I did I couldn't put it down. I think I finished in a couple days. Really beautiful love story that is clean and wholesome, with the spice of trials and overcoming them. Great read and great first...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
As Adam returns home from WW2, he finds his family in danger of losing their farm and he meets a lovely young woman he is immediately drawn to. Unfortunately, she is dating the banker who is threatening foreclosure on Adam's family's farm.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Adam and Elizabeth's story. The post WW2 setting was perfect, the villain villainous. Seriously, I hated Nathan. What a jerk. The story is captivating and simple and hard to put down.

Based on a true story, this is a sweet novel abo...more
What a sweet, old-fashioned love story. I enjoyed the nostalgia of small town life in post WWII America. The hero and heroine of the story are likeable and I cheered for them all the way through. This is a debut novel, and in some areas (character development, flow of story) it is clear there is room for improvement. That said, the author has something that may be harder to learn, which is the ability to tell a compelling story about good people. I look forward to more books by Mr. Nelson. Recom...more
JoyAnne
This is such a sweet story of how Adam and Elizabeth meet and fall in love almost immediately. The sacrifices they made and their journey is heartwarming. On the eve of their wedding the bride to be is involved in an accident that forever changes her, she breaks their engagement and frees Adam to find love with again with someone else. What Adam does to prove his love for her is precious. This book is a beautiful love story.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »