Start by marking “Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer” as Want to Read:
Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia Calamity Barrett may have been born on her family's pirate ship, but this mild-mannered young lady is sick of the sea: she'd much rather be ashore with her nose permanently buried in a book. But when Scylla the Serpent—the scourge of the sea—appears, quick-thinking Vic saves the ship by thunking the serpent on the head with her trunk full of books. For ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Flashlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Victricia Malicia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victricia Malicia

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin SloanThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Books about Books and Libraries
225th out of 457 books — 171 voters
Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli BrownDemons & Pearls - The Razor's Adventures #1 by P.S. BartlettThe Blue Diamond by P.S. BartlettThe Devil's Fire by Matt TomerlinThe Devil's Tide by Matt Tomerlin
Lady Pirates
95th out of 140 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenny
Sep 03, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Victricia Malicia is born into a pirate family. But she doesn't fit in. She's no good at swabbing the decks, tying knots or cooking/eating pirate food. She is a great reader, however, with a great imagination. Her family often gets frustrated by her but in the end, she does them a great service which improves all of their lives.

How can you not love a book about a pirate who loves to read? This was a hit with all 3 of my girls. We enjoyed the fun rhymes, the pirate vernacular, even the mean sound
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: It takes a couple readings to fully grasp the rhyming pattern, but it is OH SO WORTH IT. This is a story with humor in words and imagery, and you can't help but love the ending.

Pros: Lots of pirate talk, plenty of humor, and fast-paced rhyme make this a delight for all ages.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book as much as Wild About Books by Judy Sierra (these 2 books are similarly formatted), but I didn't. Victricia is a pirate who doesn't want to be a pirate. The text has a rollicking rhythm to it and the illustrations are big, bright and colorful, but it's just not my first choice when it comes to pirate picture books.
Elizabeth
I'm not a fan of pirates, so this was not a favorite. I did enjoy the pirate versions of book titles sprinkled throughout, such as "Don't Let the Pigeon Steer the Ship," "Prancy Nancy and the Posh Parrot," "Go Away Big Green Sea Monster," and my personal favorite, "Knuffle Parrot." I <3 Knuffle Parrot.
Ellen
Sep 23, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is an E-reader, a kid's books. It is a delightful read in rhyme. It is designed to be read out loud and enjoyed by everyone. I don't have young ones at home now, but it is a book I will probably buy and salt away for any one day grandkids.
Allison
Sep 29, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
I think my favorite part of the book is the shelves full of books with slightly altered titles such as "Knuffle Parrot" and "The Very Hungry Shiprat" oh and probably the only Seuss title I actually kinda want to read "Green Eggs and Scurvy."
Harla
Apr 26, 2013 Harla rated it it was amazing
My new favorite picture book for the year. I loved this take on a land loving pirate girl. It has a great library ending. Great rhyming and vocabulary! Highly recommend this one...we need to buy it for our library.
Aug 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story, but it's a tongue twister. I had to practice a few times before I could read it with the right rhythm and I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing her name right. It's a sweet pirate story.
Kendra
Oct 29, 2012 Kendra rated it liked it
Long, but sweet. "Odd one out" kids in every family should appreciate it. And really, if you can't be a pirate, what better profession is there than a librarian?
Sam O'Heren
Dec 17, 2012 Sam O'Heren rated it it was ok
A cute idea, but probably not going to fly off of the shelves. The best part? Get out your specs and read the titles of all of the books. "Diary of a Wimpy Lad" and "Horton Hears Ahoy" indeed!
Kim
Jun 19, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
While it does promote reading, I found it tedious in making it's point. I read a LOT of kids books in my line of work, and I think that this one will appeal to a narrow section of the audience.
Karen Dransfield
Aug 10, 2016 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A family of many generations of pirates... and Victricia doesn't want to live on the boat or be a pirate... after some terribly accidents they finally head to a small island....
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it
I liked this one better than Libby did
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Zoë Redstone-Rothstein
Zoë Redstone-Rothstein rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Cristen
Cristen rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Mabel Hilda Kajobe
Mabel Hilda Kajobe rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2012
Heather Gunnell
Heather Gunnell rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
dennis
dennis rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
Melanie Dell
Melanie Dell rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Cristi
Cristi rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013