Start by marking “Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer” as Want to Read:
Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Victricia Malicia Calamity Barrett may have been born on her family's pirate ship, but this mild-mannered young lady is sick of the sea: she'd much rather be ashore with her nose permanently buried in a book. But when Scylla the Serpent—the scourge of the sea—appears, quick-thinking Vic saves the ship by thunking the serpent on the head with her trunk full of books. For he ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Flashlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Victricia Malicia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victricia Malicia

Tom
Jun 06, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing
5 stars for rhyming tentacular with vernacular, among other fantastic rhymes and fun.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Victricia Malicia is born into a pirate family. But she doesn't fit in. She's no good at swabbing the decks, tying knots or cooking/eating pirate food. She is a great reader, however, with a great imagination. Her family often gets frustrated by her but in the end, she does them a great service which improves all of their lives.

How can you not love a book about a pirate who loves to read? This was a hit with all 3 of my girls. We enjoyed the fun rhymes, the pirate vernacular, even the mean sound
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it
I liked this one better than Libby did
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: It takes a couple readings to fully grasp the rhyming pattern, but it is OH SO WORTH IT. This is a story with humor in words and imagery, and you can't help but love the ending.

Pros: Lots of pirate talk, plenty of humor, and fast-paced rhyme make this a delight for all ages.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book as much as Wild About Books by Judy Sierra (these 2 books are similarly formatted), but I didn't. Victricia is a pirate who doesn't want to be a pirate. The text has a rollicking rhythm to it and the illustrations are big, bright and colorful, but it's just not my first choice when it comes to pirate picture books.
Elizabeth
I'm not a fan of pirates, so this was not a favorite. I did enjoy the pirate versions of book titles sprinkled throughout, such as "Don't Let the Pigeon Steer the Ship," "Prancy Nancy and the Posh Parrot," "Go Away Big Green Sea Monster," and my personal favorite, "Knuffle Parrot." I <3 Knuffle Parrot.
Ellen
Sep 23, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is an E-reader, a kid's books. It is a delightful read in rhyme. It is designed to be read out loud and enjoyed by everyone. I don't have young ones at home now, but it is a book I will probably buy and salt away for any one day grandkids.
Allison
Sep 29, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
I think my favorite part of the book is the shelves full of books with slightly altered titles such as "Knuffle Parrot" and "The Very Hungry Shiprat" oh and probably the only Seuss title I actually kinda want to read "Green Eggs and Scurvy."
Harla
Apr 26, 2013 Harla rated it it was amazing
My new favorite picture book for the year. I loved this take on a land loving pirate girl. It has a great library ending. Great rhyming and vocabulary! Highly recommend this one...we need to buy it for our library.
Aug 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story, but it's a tongue twister. I had to practice a few times before I could read it with the right rhythm and I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing her name right. It's a sweet pirate story.
Kim
Jun 19, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
While it does promote reading, I found it tedious in making it's point. I read a LOT of kids books in my line of work, and I think that this one will appeal to a narrow section of the audience.
Sam O'Heren
Dec 17, 2012 Sam O'Heren rated it it was ok
A cute idea, but probably not going to fly off of the shelves. The best part? Get out your specs and read the titles of all of the books. "Diary of a Wimpy Lad" and "Horton Hears Ahoy" indeed!
Kendra
Oct 29, 2012 Kendra rated it liked it
Long, but sweet. "Odd one out" kids in every family should appreciate it. And really, if you can't be a pirate, what better profession is there than a librarian?
Lisa
May 15, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
The rhyme is above reproach and the character is engaging. I am in awe of the author's talents!
Jill
Mar 15, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I just love books that have rhyme and rhythm like this. We all really enjoyed reading this one.
Robin
Mar 20, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Cute and clever rhyming story for pirate-loving bibliophiles.
Diana Murray
Diana Murray rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Wendy Kuzma
Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Alana/MiaTheReader
Alana/MiaTheReader rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Mabel Hilda Kajobe
Mabel Hilda Kajobe rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Knight
Knight marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Heather Gunnell
Heather Gunnell rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015