Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Victricia Malicia Calamity Barrett may have been born on her family's pirate ship, but this mild-mannered young lady is sick of the sea: she'd much rather be ashore with her nose permanently buried in a book. But when Scylla the Serpent—the scourge of the sea—appears, quick-thinking Vic saves the ship by thunking the serpent on the head with her trunk full of books. For he...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Flashlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Victricia Malicia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victricia Malicia

Jenny
Victricia Malicia is born into a pirate family. But she doesn't fit in. She's no good at swabbing the decks, tying knots or cooking/eating pirate food. She is a great reader, however, with a great imagination. Her family often gets frustrated by her but in the end, she does them a great service which improves all of their lives.

How can you not love a book about a pirate who loves to read? This was a hit with all 3 of my girls. We enjoyed the fun rhymes, the pirate vernacular, even the mean sound...more
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: It takes a couple readings to fully grasp the rhyming pattern, but it is OH SO WORTH IT. This is a story with humor in words and imagery, and you can't help but love the ending.

Pros: Lots of pirate talk, plenty of humor, and fast-paced rhyme make this a delight for all ages.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Samantha
I wanted to love this book as much as Wild About Books by Judy Sierra (these 2 books are similarly formatted), but I didn't. Victricia is a pirate who doesn't want to be a pirate. The text has a rollicking rhythm to it and the illustrations are big, bright and colorful, but it's just not my first choice when it comes to pirate picture books.
Elizabeth
I'm not a fan of pirates, so this was not a favorite. I did enjoy the pirate versions of book titles sprinkled throughout, such as "Don't Let the Pigeon Steer the Ship," "Prancy Nancy and the Posh Parrot," "Go Away Big Green Sea Monster," and my personal favorite, "Knuffle Parrot." I <3 Knuffle Parrot.
Ellen
Ok, this is an E-reader, a kid's books. It is a delightful read in rhyme. It is designed to be read out loud and enjoyed by everyone. I don't have young ones at home now, but it is a book I will probably buy and salt away for any one day grandkids.
Allison
I think my favorite part of the book is the shelves full of books with slightly altered titles such as "Knuffle Parrot" and "The Very Hungry Shiprat" oh and probably the only Seuss title I actually kinda want to read "Green Eggs and Scurvy."
Harla
My new favorite picture book for the year. I loved this take on a land loving pirate girl. It has a great library ending. Great rhyming and vocabulary! Highly recommend this one...we need to buy it for our library.
This is a very cute story, but it's a tongue twister. I had to practice a few times before I could read it with the right rhythm and I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing her name right. It's a sweet pirate story.
Kim
While it does promote reading, I found it tedious in making it's point. I read a LOT of kids books in my line of work, and I think that this one will appeal to a narrow section of the audience.
Sam O'Heren
A cute idea, but probably not going to fly off of the shelves. The best part? Get out your specs and read the titles of all of the books. "Diary of a Wimpy Lad" and "Horton Hears Ahoy" indeed!
Kendra
Long, but sweet. "Odd one out" kids in every family should appreciate it. And really, if you can't be a pirate, what better profession is there than a librarian?
Lisa
The rhyme is above reproach and the character is engaging. I am in awe of the author's talents!
Jill
I just love books that have rhyme and rhythm like this. We all really enjoyed reading this one.
Robin
Cute and clever rhyming story for pirate-loving bibliophiles.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Erica
Erica added it
Jun 03, 2014
Kirsten Murphy
Kirsten Murphy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
CalebJacobOwenZac
CalebJacobOwenZac marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kayla Eakin
Kayla Eakin marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013