Start by marking “Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)” as Want to Read:
Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)

Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (Treasury of XXth Century Murder)

The perfect ingredients for a juicy scandal and fascinating investigation are presented in this masterful graphic novel retelling of an unsolved murder from the 1920s. On the evening of September 14, 1922, Reverend Edward Hall and Mrs. Eleanor Mills take a stroll in the New Brunswick town park. Shots are heard and two days later their bodies are found lying neatly next to ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by NBM Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lovers' Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovers' Lane

Sam Quixote
Feb 15, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
On the night of September 14, 1922, Reverend Edward Hall and Mrs Eleanor Mills were walking in a part of New Brunswick town park nicknamed “Lovers’ Lane” for its popularity as a discreet spot. 4 gunshots were heard and a few days later their dead bodies were found lying side by side, lovers’ letters from between the two scattered at their feet. Hall and Mills were having an affair and as Rick Geary exhumes this long-forgotten case from the past, he deftly describes the complex circumstances surr ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is Rick Geary's latest entry in his Treasury of XXth Century Murder graphic true crime series, which I just love. I'd always heard of this case referred to as "the minister and the choir girl," and, in fact, there's a newish adult book out with that title (which I now must read). Geary has here summed up the New Jersey crime nicely with his droll black and white illustrations and succinct text. A married minister was having an affair with one of his married choir girls. One evening they're ...more
Kirsti
Beautifully illustrated account of the Hall-Mills murders of 1922. It seemed like an appropriate topic for Halloween.
Cyndi
Apr 25, 2013 Cyndi rated it really liked it
I enjoy the "newsy" feel of Mr Geary's work. His drawings are clean and well rendered and the stories are @ sensational crimes. What's not to like?
Katharine Kruse
It seems odd to describe a true-crime book as "cute," but there you go.

I'd never heard of the Hall-Mills double murder before picking this up at the library, but I suppose that's why it appealed to me: I wasn't as interested in taking home one of the other volumes in the series, say, on Jack the Ripper or H.H. Holmes, precisely because I'm not sure what an illustrated novel - being necessarily a sketch of the crime rather than an in-depth investigation - could add to well-worn stories that I al
Alger
Mar 07, 2016 Alger rated it really liked it
This is one of those true crime stories like Lizzie Borden and the Lindbergh kidnapping where the outlines of the story are reasonably well known to anyone interested in American pop culture, even if only a mythic version that just gets a few names right. Less well remembered today, the Hall-Mills murder of 1922 was among the most notorious murders and trials of the inter-war era.

The reasons for its notoriety mainly hung at first upon a scandalous affair between a right reverend and the leader
Jim
Feb 15, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
This is only the second graphic novel I've read by Rick Geary, the first being "The Fatal Bullet", the story of President Garfield's assassination, which I enjoyed a great deal. I was aware that Geary had done a number of 'treasury of murder' tales in graphic novel form, but I didn't read any, feeling that the subject matter would not appeal to me the way the Garfield story did. I think I might have been mistaken in that assumption.

This story, from his 'A Treasury of XXth Century Murder' tales,
Nicola Mansfield
May 03, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
An Episcopal (Anglican) minister and his mistress are found shot and posed in a field near the local lover's lane area. An interesting true crime taken from the 1920s in which no satisfactory answer has ever been found. Not exactly an exciting case, Geary has written books on much more exciting murders such as those on H.H. Holmes and the Bender family of Labette County, Kansas, but he's written a good story here. One I hadn't heard of before either. Taking us through all possibilities as well a ...more
Jan C
Sep 15, 2015 Jan C rated it really liked it
Wonderfully drawn. Good follow-up to Careless People: Murder, Mayhem, and the Invention of The Great Gatsby by Sarah Churchwell. She had juxtaposed the story of Gatsby with that of the Hall-Mills killings in New Jersey. So my interest was piqued.
Christiane
Jan 10, 2013 Christiane rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, true-crime
I LOVE Rick Geary and I love his Victorian and 20th century murder mysteries. His art is detailed and brings the various characters to life; he has a way of getting to the essentials of complicated stories, especially, as in this case, where there is no clear resolution (no one is ever convicted of the double-murder). This is a fine addition to the collection, but for sheer enjoyment I will always recommend "The Case of Madeleine Smith", the story of the proper young Scottish woman accused of mu ...more
Scott
Feb 12, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
This comic book style recounting of an unsolved double murder from the early 1920s gives the basic facts, but does it in a manner that doesn't really grab the readers interest. Of course no one was ever convicted of the murders, and the investigation was bungled enough that there would seem there was never much chance of concluding who the murderer was, so beyond giving the bare facts, there's not a lot to say about the case. Geary's artistic style is not much above the functional level, but som ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
This is a graphic novel exploration of a true crime story from the 1920's. A reverend and a married woman are found dead in the woods in a small New Jersey town.

The crime draws a lot of local attention and as news fets out aboit a posdible affair between the two the spotlight increases .

it was fascinating seeing how a police case from the 1920's unfolded and all the various theories being explored. a creepy read.
Jennifer Daniel
Oct 01, 2012 Jennifer Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Typically I don't care for graphic novels but there is something about Rick Geary's work that intrigues me. I don't know if because he specialized in old true crimes or the fact that I feel like I am 10 years old again reading a MAD magazine. Everytime I come across one of his books at the library I always pick it up and I have yet to be disapointed. Keep 'em comin!
John
Aug 25, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Another excellent true-crime graphic novel from Geary -- and this time it's one where I've walked the very streets he's depicting. Oh, sure, it was 80 or 90 years after the original murders, but it's kind of chilling seeing familiar street names and wondering if you have passed by the suspects' houses or even the murder scene.
Matthew
Feb 04, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
Interesting if violent social history; and the New Jersey aspect is an extra hook.

Still have hopes that some day Geary will do a "Treasury of XXth Century Murder" on the assassination of William McKinley to go along with his fine selections from the "Treasury of Victorian Murder" on the assassination of Lincoln and the assassination of Garfield.
Susan Bybee
Aug 17, 2012 Susan Bybee rated it really liked it
I'd never before heard anything about this unsolved murder mystery from 1922. A New Jersey Episcopal married minister, a favorite with the women in his congregation and a soprano in his church choir, also married are found brutally murdered in a lover's lane right on the county line with their own love letters strewn about them.
Sherrie
Aug 11, 2014 Sherrie rated it really liked it
This is the third book I've read by Rick Geary and my favorite thus far. Lovers' Lane: The Hall-Mills Mystery is a tantalizing true crime story with adultery, jealousy and plenty of suspects. Although, suspects were brought to trial this crime remains unsolved to this day. If you are looking for an interesting true crime read be sure to pick up this haunting tale.
Jason
Jan 23, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
Here Geary sketches the unsolved 1922 double murder which was the crime of the century, at least until the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby a decade later. This is one of the better examples in Geary's ongoing true crime series.
Ryan
Jan 25, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
I love Rick Geary's 'Treasury Of __________ Murder" books. The artwork is masterful and the stories are always well researched. This one has a lot of players and is hard to keep track of them all, but careful attention will bring full understanding of the murder at the end of the book (even though the case is still unsolved). A quick and awesome read. More please!
Bri
Jan 14, 2013 Bri rated it liked it
I certainly appreciate the level of detail and how much research Geary did to bring this story to life. Not the most intriguing of mysteries, but I see myself returning for other books in the Treasury of XXth Century Murder (who doesn't love a series with that title?).
Trevor Tupper
Aug 28, 2012 Trevor Tupper rated it really liked it

Rick Geary is a master of exploring real life murders. He lays out all the facts and lets the reader decide what ultimately happened. His distinctive art style continues in this book and is key in helping the reader visualize the settings and put them at the murder scenes.
Philip
Feb 05, 2013 Philip rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2013
Geary has carved out a very particular niche for himself. He researches old, famous murder cases and presents them in graphic novel form. His presentation can sometimes be rather dry, but his charming art style keeps things interesting.
Sonic
Dec 26, 2012 Sonic rated it really liked it
Looking back at some of my ratings I wonder why this guy only got 3 stars on a lot of his books.
When I saw this book, that I had not yet read,
I grabbed it off the shelf with excitement.

Here is yet another damn good, true murder mystery!

Jessica
So who committed the crime? Suspects abound, but no evidence points to any one person. I guess we'll never know. But author Rick Geary does an excellent job in illustrating this baffling murder case.
Lindsay
Jan 25, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this! I wish it had been longer. In all the pieces I have read about this murder minister's wife as a suspect never came up!
Stef
Apr 06, 2016 Stef rated it it was amazing
Another Rick Geary book I loved. This one was like reading the plot to an episode of Forensic Files, only everyone involved is horribly inept and the crime is never solved -- which drives me crazy!
Anne
Apr 28, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
I enjoy Geary's books about historical true crime. I'm not a big fan of true crime per se, but the graphic format and interesting stories really grab me.
Erica
Sep 01, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it
Another Geary historical true-crime in graphic novel form slam-dunk. If you are fan of true-crime you really can't go wrong with a Rick Geary.
Trevor
Oct 26, 2012 Trevor rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series! It combines two of my favorite literary genres, true crime and graphic novels. Rick Geary is a great artist. He has a remarkable way with a line. And every story is fascinating.
Damon
Feb 04, 2015 Damon rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Nicely done mystery story: very 19th century with witty caricatures of the main suspects. Leaves you guessing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party
  • Houdini: The Handcuff King
  • Ashes Under Water: The SS Eastland and the Shipwreck That Shook America
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards: Edward Drinker Cope, Othniel Charles Marsh, and the Gilded Age of Paleontology
  • Bubonic Panic: When Plague Invaded America
  • Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps
  • The Killer, Volume One
  • Bumperhead
  • Criminal Vol. 6: The Last of the Innocent (Criminal, #6)
  • Ghetto Brother: Warrior to Peacemaker
RICK GEARY was born in 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri and grew up in Wichita,
Kansas. He graduated from the University of Kansas in Lawrence, where his first cartoons were published in the University Daily Kansan. He worked as staff artist for two weekly papers in Wichita before moving to San Diego in 1975.

He began work in comics in 1977 and was for thirteen years a contributor to the Funny Pages of
More about Rick Geary...

Treasury of XXth Century Murder (6 books)
  • The Lindbergh Child (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Famous Players (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans