Start by marking “Dog Finds Lost Dolphins: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Heroes (National Geographic Kids Chapters)” as Want to Read:

The first in a line of Animal Rescues chapter books, Dog Finds Lost Dolphins is a tale you'll not soon forget. In this charming and awe-inspiring story you'll meet Cloud, the black lab with a nose for rescue. She's the only dog certified to sniff out stranded dolphins. Cloud can sniff out a dolphin over a mile off the coast of the Florida Keys. She has even become friends ...more
Published July 24th 2012 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Finds Lost Dolphins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Finds Lost Dolphins

Abby Johnson
Aug 04, 2014 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
Another appealing early chapter title with three different animal stories: dogs trained to locate stranded dolphins, a monkey trained as a helper for people with disabilities, and rats trained to locate land mines. This is a great series for animal lovers and the writing is just right for new chapter book readers.

Sidebar: I did cry in the break room about the Capuchin monkey Kasey who went to MONKEY COLLEGE* to learn how to become a helper for people with disabilities. Then, when he started work
Emily Erickson
It's a nice book and its truly amazing how animals will save people even if they don't even know them. And how animals will save other animals. It makes me think if my pets would ever save me if I'm in danger. Animals are truly amazing! It's an exciting book and I would definitely recommend it.
Kyla Wilde
There is not just one character their are several, but I'am going to talk about the dog who finds lost dolphins and her owner Chris. Chris is a dolphin expert who helps in rescuing beached dolphins. Chris was thinking of ways to find them quicker so they would not die. He had an idea maybe dogs could help.
Chris calls Beth Smart the head of the Marine Medical Research Foundation Beth listens and thinks that it is a wonderful idea. They go around and try to find a dog and then they find Cloud a b
Ann Moody
Jul 04, 2013 Ann Moody rated it it was amazing
Boring title, fantastic book with Common Core appeal! A winner in the "can't judge a book by its cover" category. The subtitle is a much better sell and a better fit, "Amazing Animal Heroes."

This is the first non-fiction chapter book I have found that provides some educational facts in a really entertaining format, providing "biographies" - or would that be "zoographies?" of the animal stars. 7 year old was not interested when initially handed the book, but when we finished, she DEMANDED the ne
Betsy
Sep 17, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
I can't believe our public library doesn't have this book! This is a perfect example of the kinds of books so many young readers devour. I don't know what it is about "true stories," but that is what elementary kids want. This book is really interesting (I learned lots!), and it's well written for its target age group. Interesting facts sprinkled throughout the stories add to the nonfiction content, but the stories are written as stories--it doesn't read like a textbook or just plain "fact book. ...more
Pooja.     Kajendran
Oct 10, 2015 Pooja. Kajendran rated it it was amazing
This book was really good because it shared three interesting and true stories about animals and how they were a hero. I liked how in this book the focused on three different stories instead of one long story. It kept the book more interesting.I loved the images and my favourite story in this book was "Dolphin rescue dog". I liked this story because it was about my favourite animals. But overall I think that this book is really really good.
Debbie Tanner
Sep 03, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's about different animals and how they help. The book has three chapters, one about a dog who helps find stranded dolphins and whales, one about a service monkey who is helping a young man recovering from a terrible accident, and one about rats who sniff out mines and diseases. The writing makes it very fast paced and the text features help by adding extra bits of information. This one rocked!
Samantha
Aug 15, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three cheers for National Geographic Kids books!!! This nonfiction chapter book focuses on 3 amazing animals: a dolphin rescue dog, a monkey service animal, and a land-mine sniffing rat. Stories are engaging, include color pics, and feature sidebars of background information on the animals. Chapters are short and the subjects are of high interest to both boys and girls. Recommended for grades 3-5.
Seth
Oct 15, 2015 Seth rated it liked it
Shelves: by-myself
The people who found beached dolphins got an idea. the idea was to use dogs to find lost dolphins. It worked. the 2nd story is about a person in a wheel chair who gets a monkey to help him. it worked! the last story is about rats digging up land mines. it worked!
Feb 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Easy to read book for grade schoolers about interesting animals. Who doesn't want to learn about a monkey who went to school to help people with disabilities? Or a dog that can sniff water to discover trapped dolphins? Pretty amazing stuff and lots of photographs, sidebars, and interesting facts.
Kristen
Apr 06, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
This is a perfect 2nd-4th grade level book for kids who can't get enough animal stories. There are lots of interesting facts included, too. Some factoid sidebars actually take up a whole page, which unfortunately breaks up the main stories in an awkward way, but this is a quibble.
Sharie
Aug 16, 2013 Sharie rated it it was amazing
Multiple true stories even though cover really only emphasizes first story. Really great data-type info the book. Well written for the age group. Short story format but non-fiction none-the-less. Very apt for current events situations.
Erin Fowler
Oct 25, 2014 Erin Fowler rated it it was amazing
These true stories about animal helpers were interesting!
david w. rong
Jul 31, 2015 david w. rong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute!!!
Kate
Jun 21, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Good stories
Andrea Labonte
Mar 21, 2014 Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved the dolphin story not really into the other stories but I love dolphins and it was a cute story.
Heather
Feb 05, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Interesting info about helping animals.
Aliannatony Barnes
Oct 31, 2012 Aliannatony Barnes marked it as to-read
it was vary good i am telling you so if you whant a vary good book get it.
Kelly
Jan 25, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Three very interesting stories about how different animals are able to be trained to help others.
Jenny
Jul 28, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
A great book for kids who like to read about animals. I was most impressed by the rats who sniff out land mines. How cool is that?
Hannah
Jan 02, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it
I liked the book. I found it quite interesting how our formerly taken-for-granted animals are heros.
WKWyverns
4K got this booktalk first.
Jocelyn
Jul 24, 2012 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
This book is about a dog, a monkey, and a bunch of rats. The dog saves dolphins. The monkey saves a person. The rats save us from land mines. I like how the animals and humans work together.
Awjtf
Jul 28, 2014 Awjtf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
loved it!
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Trinity
Trinity rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Mira
Mira rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Alaina
Alaina rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Snakes
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • A Black Hole Is Not a Hole
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • Galapagos George
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • A Chicken Followed Me Home!: Questions and Answers about a Familiar Fowl
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World
  • Bone by Bone: Comparing Animal Skeletons
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Coral Reefs
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship
  • Red Madness: How a Medical Mystery Changed What We Eat
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
Elizabeth Carney is a writer and editor based in Brooklyn, New York. She specializes in children's nonfiction and science, math, and STEM-related subjects.

Elizabeth received the 2005 AAAS Science Journalism Award for science reporting for children. Her titles Face to Face With Cheetahs, Face to Face With Gorillas, and Great Migrations: Whales, Wildebeests, Butterflies, Elephants, and Other Amazing
More about Elizabeth Carney...

National Geographic Kids Chapters (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Tiger in Trouble!: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Rescues (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Ape Escapes!: and More True Stories of Animals Behaving Badly (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Courageous Canine: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Heroes (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Best Friends Forever: And More True Stories of Animal Friendships (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Animal Superstars: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Talents (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Parrot Genius: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Talents (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • The Whale Who Won Hearts: And More True Stories of Adventures with Animals (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Crocodile Encounters: and More True Stories of Adventures with Animals (National Geographic Kids)
  • Horse Escape Artist: And More True Stories of Animals Behaving Badly (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Lucky Leopards: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Rescues (National Geographic Kids Chapters)