Start by marking “That's War” as Want to Read:
That's War

That's War

That’s War is a diary of the authentic experiences of Lt. William Arthur Sirmon from January 1, 1918 to November 12, 1918. In this account of a regular soldier in the 82nd Division, 325th Infantry, you are led through ten chapters of a heartfelt, attention-grabbing journey. It starts out at Ft. Gordon, Georgia, where Sirmon was in charge of training soldiers. His story tak ...more
Published June 27th 2011 by Xlibris Corporation

To ask other readers questions about That's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's War

Jason Koivu
Apr 21, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, autobiography
What is courage? I doubt I'm qualified to answer that, but I believe Lt. William A. Sirmon is. After facing machine guns and having bombs rained down upon you for months, to voluntarily go back to the frontline after being invalided out due to ticket-home, severe injuries suffered during a mustard gas attack, to me that's the sort of person who might be able to tell you what courage is.

That's War is the diary of...

description

William A. Sirmon

It picks up on January 1, 1918 at Camp Gordon in Georgia, where S
Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 26, 2013 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing
”January 9th, 1918 Camp Gordon, Georgia Just like a good little soldier, I stood Reveille at the appointed hour of 5:15. I mention the fact every day because it is a daily occurrence and leaves a cold, chilly statue in my mind--a shivering pair of pajamas put aside for a uniform. Every morning I am reminded of a little ditty to one of the boys in the Second Training Camp.
J. Ed Bell

William Arthur Sirmon, original picture on the bac
Larry Bassett
Apr 03, 2013 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it
Shelves: war, biography, history
This book is the 1918 diary of Army Lt. William Sirmon. It begins on January 1st with Sirmon training soldiers at Ft. Gordon, Georgia. Sirmon takes us to France for his personal view of the war to end all wars, and on to Armistice Day. That’s War is a view of war by a proud patriot who recorded his thoughts as he experienced the war.
March 11. …the call of duty got me out to work. Took the detachment in bayonet work and close order. It is tedious, but interesting work, training the detachment.
Jim
I received a copy of this book to review from the author's great-grandson.

The book is a reproduction of Captain Sirmon's diary from 1918. It is not a novel, but reads as a story with the young officer recording his experiences, first in the U.S. training for deployment, then the arrival in France, his first experiences on the front line, and ending the day after the Armistice of November 11th.

This is an amazing document, both as a piece of the war's history, but also as the experience of a fron
Nicolas Wilson
Jun 10, 2013 Nicolas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off-I have to thank Jeffery Keetan for his in-depth review, with illustrations. I have an ebook copy of this, with none of that. When I read history, I like to read history with context, rather than just single diaries, so his review, at the top of the page, was just what I needed to see to drive the narrative home. My next step will be to dig out my wife's copy of The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry.

I had a somewhat difficult time focusing on the full diary. Writing past a certain
Dermot Davis
Jun 07, 2013 Dermot Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First-hand accounts of major events are important on many fronts, not the least of which is to have an accurate eye-witness account that benefits historical accuracy. Bearing in mind that history is written by the victors, this marvellous diary is a remarkable recording of events as experienced by one man fighting on one side of an epic war in which his side were victorious. Fired up with high-spirited idealism, the soldier (he's actually a lieutenant) recounts how he and his comrades were prepa ...more
Tiffany Chong
Sep 21, 2013 Tiffany Chong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting book. I felt like I was there with him. All of the pain and horror that he has gone through, a hero. I recommend this book.
Won on Goodreads Giveaway! Thank you so much for this experience.
G.d. Brennan
Feb 26, 2013 G.d. Brennan rated it it was amazing
“That’s War” is a great little slice of history, and a necessary antidote to an unfortunate tendency in war fiction whereby the dead are killed yet again by writers who stamp out their characters’ spirits—erasing a bit more of their lives—in a well-meaning effort to laud their heroics.

The more distant we are from a war, the easier it is to place its participants on pedestals. But when writers do this, they turn their subjects to stone statues, devoid of personality, fit to be emulated, but unabl
William Stuart
Apr 13, 2013 William Stuart rated it really liked it
If you have read either The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Carnelian or Book Two: The Amethyst, you know that the character of Beebop was in the Navy. In real life, I was in the Navy for 10 years and served aboard submarines as a nuclear reactor operator and an electronics technician. Additionally, my father was retired Air Force and my older brother served in the Army. With that background, when I had the opportunity to read and review That's War by Lt. William Sirmon and reproduced by his g ...more
Stephanie Dagg
Mar 07, 2013 Stephanie Dagg rated it it was amazing
That’s War
By William Arthur Sirmon, reproduced by: Brannon William Sirmon
This book is the actual diary as written by William Arthur Sirmon. The diary is reproduced from 1st January 1918. The book records faithfully the long periods of tedium that are part of the army routine although this appears to be interspersed with quite a lot of entertaining for the officer class. The excitement and patriotism builds up as the 82nd Regiment makes ready for war and finally gets its orders to travel from Cam
Glyn Smith-Wild
Jun 13, 2013 Glyn Smith-Wild rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect from this book and I found it intriguing, inspiring and informative.
With the UK beginning plans to commemorate the centenary of WW1 next year, it was good to read something of its history from a different point of view. It was generous of Willaim Sirmon to remark on more than one occasion that European forces had been fighting this unholy war for four years before US troops became involved and indubitably helped bring the conflict to an end.
This is a diary that was
Daron
Mar 12, 2013 Daron rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very insightful book... or rather a journal, written by an American officer who served in World War One. The author of the journal is a talented writer, and quite adept at describing his experiences. He does so in such a way that you can almost picture the hilly countryside and the little towns and even the cobbled streets between old castles and farmland.

Surprisingly, the tone of the related events is upbeat and positive, even as the author describes in heart-wrenching detail the life-and-dea
Daniel Hood
Jul 30, 2013 Daniel Hood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got this through a giveaway and I thought it was a good diary into the typical life of a World War 1 American soldier. It's a primary document that offers great insight into this man's view of war, of the military, and in the American ideal. The man certainly changes from the soldier in training to the veteran by the end of the war and you can really get his pleasure of the victory the Allies received during the war.

I'd recommend this book to people who want primary documents of the First Wor
Sandra
Jun 13, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone interested in history
Recommended to Sandra by: Goodreads
Shelves: historical
I loved this book. A stunning achievement of what it was like to actually be in the war, the day to dayness of it all from the time this young man signed up to the end. The swagger, the fear, the moments of boredom, of terrific excitement, spending time with girls and then the kill or be killed moments of dealing with the enemy. Made me realize how crazy war is and the terrible effect it has on our young men and women's psyches when they come home and must then try to live a "normal" life.
Paul Burke
Aug 23, 2013 Paul Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to win a signed copy of Brannon Sirmon's great grandfather's diary "That's War". I thoroughly enjoyed reading this amazing diary, and recommend it to anyone who has an interest in learning more about "The Great War".
Brannon
Dec 17, 2012 Brannon rated it it was amazing
3 Book Reviews by non Goodreads members.

Brannon Sirmon shares with great passion the words of his great grandfather. It is an historic, first-hand account of one of the brave and courageous young men who fought in World War I.
It was a war among neighbors and a battle between brothers and it had an impact that would far outlive the shots that were fired and the blood that was shed. Those shots can still be heard and that blood can still be seen in the words of Brannon Sirmon.
That's War is history
Jenna
Jul 02, 2016 Jenna rated it really liked it
Sirmon’s diary of his days during the last year of the Great War provides another account of the American experience of these turbulent years. It’s a memoir best read alongside a history that provides an overview of the American military engagement. Because Sirmon’s diary was written for himself – and hence there is little explanation or context that might provide that larger overarching portrait. This focus on the single experienced, as it is lived, in its immediacy, is what gives this account— ...more
Pam
Jun 03, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a personal narrative of someone who participated in events of the Great War; it offers a unique perspective from an American viewpoint. Without the overlay of 100 years of hindsight and changed societal values that a modern author, however unintentional, would bring to the narrative; the book opens a window into what was a different society than that of today. I found the book to be entertaining, informative and an honest portrayal of one mans participation in what was the greatest pivotal ev ...more
OrchardBookClub
May 03, 2013 OrchardBookClub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One mans actual diary of the First World War detailing how life was for a typical 'Doghboy' serving in the Philippine Constabulary throughout the year of 1918.

What first struck me about this diary was the simplistic truth in which it was written, although extremely sad and thought provoking in places, it was with the upmost pride and unquestionable loyalty to his country with which he served that really touched my heart the most.

A frankly remarkable read that left me feeling honoured to have had
Karen Critchley
Karen Critchley rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Pamela DeWolf
Pamela DeWolf rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Mahlon
Mahlon rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Folashade
Folashade rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Melissa Cushing
Melissa Cushing rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Mhevan13gmail.com
Mhevan13gmail.com rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Richard Sommery-Gade
Richard Sommery-Gade rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
ApuciKislanya
ApuciKislanya rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
On the Southern L...: Our July Giveaway! 9 33 Jul 04, 2013 09:21AM
Action/Adventure ...: Authentic World War I Diary - Giveaway! 1 3 Apr 15, 2013 10:56AM
Action/Adventure ...: Free Authentic WWI Diary till 3/31 4 7 Apr 04, 2013 10:38AM
readers advisory ...: Free Authentic WWI Diary till 3/31 1 18 Mar 22, 2013 08:39AM
  • George W. Hamilton, USMC: America's Greatest World War I Hero
  • Subaltern on the Somme
  • Somme
  • First Over There: The Attack on Cantigny, America's First Battle of World War I
  • By the Spear: Philip II, Alexander the Great, and the Rise and Fall of the Macedonian Empire
  • The End of Tsarist Russia: The March to World War I and Revolution
  • Vimy
  • Enduring Courage:Ace Pilot Eddie Rickenbacker and the Dawn of the Age of Speed
  • Ring Of Steel: Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I
  • A Rifleman Went to War
  • The Burning of the World: A Memoir of 1914
  • 14-18: Understanding the Great War
  • Flowers from No Man's Land: Letters to Mother from the Front Lines, World War I, France
  • The First Eagles: The American Pilots Who Flew With the British, Became Aces, and Won World War I
  • Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914
  • Grant vs. Lee: The Graphic History of the Civil War's Greatest Rivals During the Last Year of the War
  • The Red Baron
  • Some Desperate Glory: The First World War the Poets Knew

“France is to me the heroine in the romance of all the nations of all time. This feeling was born in me years ago when I read how her noble sons had defended America in its cradle. Today I am proud that I am one of the millions who will come to save our heroine from the clutches of the villain from across the Rhine.” 8 likes
“What punishment a free people can mete out to its enemy when aroused by unjust attack! Free America was speaking! Mighty America was speaking! I trembled with pride! My America was speaking!” 4 likes