Half Past Midnight

Half Past Midnight

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The Doomsday Clock gauges the threat of nuclear war. Currently, the clock is set at six minutes before midnight.

What happens after the hands reach midnight?

Survivalist Leeland Dawcett finds out when he and his family are plunged into the nightmare of their country returned to a third-world state.

No phones. No computers. No television.

At first, Leeland thinks basic survival...more
Published December 10th 2011 by Telemachus Press, LLC (first published December 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Half Past Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Past Midnight

Angela Gambrel
I really wanted to like this book. Really. But...

Flat characters. A survivalist nutjob who has been preparing for EXACTLY this scenario. Weapons...and weapons...and more weapons. And loads of food, supplies, and a vehicle old enough to survive an EMP. And of course he is an expert karateka.

The first hundred pages or so reads like it a survivalist manual. Or a guide for the militia. Or something.

If I had to read one more description of the weapons he had...

And why does the author write such thing...more
Joyce
Nice read. A bit bloody, but post nuclear holocaust you would expect that. Hero vs nemesis story, with a supportive town. Lots of fighting, but also probably not that far off the mark from what might actually happen. Happenings over a three year span. I liked it.
Samantha Blair
Terri
A killer thriller!
1st, let me say I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. When I can, I prefer to listen to my books as narrators do a much better job than I can do at multiple voices & excitement in story along with accents & proper pronunciations. A narrator just makes a story so much more entertaining! This is 1 such story that was much better in audio vs eBook!
This is a edge of your seat thriller about nuclear war. How would we handle it? What could we do?...more
Perry Martin
Jeff Brackett's Half Past Midnight, Narrated by Corey Snow is a great book. It keeped me rivited to my speakers throughout the entire story.

The story is in the same genre as Televisions "Revolution" except this book is much better; sticking to a single storyline and this story is complete.

The story starts quickly, and the characters are established with the depth needed according to the story line and then grow as the story moves forward.

In short, World War III starts and Leeland Dawsett is a su...more
Jon West
surviving in a small town in Texas after nuclear war destroys major cities. Not an original story concept, but well written and entertaining.

Good Reads Rating system
My rating system (*]star)
1* couldn't finish book
2* finished book, but didn't like it
3* a good read
4* a very good read often with a novel concept or unusual plot
5* an exceptionally good read, a prominent example of the genre
Gwen
I liked this enough to finish it, but this was not a good book. It read like Doomsday Preppers fanfiction. Very little character development going on and a very transparent plot.
Al
For years, scientists have argued about the effects of a global nuclear war, the best guesses saying there would be many human survivors, but the impact on the world as we know it would be immense. Electromagnetic pulses from the bombs would render most electronic equipment useless. Fallout would have impacts on the food supply, both animals used as meat and crops.

In "Half Past Midnight," author Jeff Brackett has imagined what it would be like in this post-nuclear-war world and how families like...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Leeland Dawcett is a machinist in his family-owned shop and is working a Saturday with his dad when it happens…Doomsday. Leeland is a survivalist and has done his best to be ready for this occasion. He needs to protect his family, pack up their supplies and get the heck out of Houston before the city gets a big heaping helping of nuclear bombs. So begins the story of a man and his family trying to survive the unthinkable.

I am one of the most stingy of people to give out a rating of 5. A book rea...more
Michelle
Feb 10, 2013 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
For his first book this book was a none stop read for me. It is about a man and his family trying to survive after nuclear bombs are set off. It is truly a stunning read.
Ok I was rereading this book and I realized I did it's review no justice. I'm so sorry Mr. Brackett. This is one of the most addicting books that I have read. It is not only a very intense read at times but is also very visually stunning. Mr. Brackett manages to get to totally absorbed into this family's struggle to make it work...more
R. Porter
This wasn't a bad take on the nuclear version of the apocalypse, although the characters were a bit flat. It had some great information about how to survive a nuclear apocalypse though, and the part where the town gets involved and the descriptions if a large battle and guerrilla warfare are very good.
Julie
Another great post SHTF novel. This one uses atomic bombs instead of an EMP which is cool. Now you learn snout radiation and some worries that entails like what meat can you eat, safe drinking water, dig a trench, cover with soil, hope you can afford a bulldozer and backhoe at the time.
Seriously the characters are good. The family a bit too MacGyver-like, but not in a horrible way. I enjoyed the story, but when it came time to write the review I realize I probably will quickly forget the book,...more
Robert
New author for me. Very good apocalypse survival story with great characters. Well written with a fair amount of action, a little humor, and much to do with the survival of a town after an EMP. Truly a good story I think all who appreciate this genre will enjoy.
Matt Sides
As this started off, I was afraid that it was going to be masturbatory "prepper" wank with a Mary Sue author-insert character who was master of the katana or whatever. However, I was happy to discover I was wrong as the story went on and turned into a sort of post-nuclear mishmash of Jericho, Alas Babylon, Swan Song, and Lucifer's Hammer.
I was actually surprised at how well-written it was for a first novel that was available as a free download from Amazon; no one will mistake it for high literat...more
Heather
I finished One Second After by William Fortschen right before starting this book... the plot lines were eerily similar so I found myself constantly comparing the two books. One Second After wins hands-down. Fortschen was able to develop the characters and the plot in a way that made you feel a connection with the story. When a character died in One Second After, I cried. When a characet died in Half Past Midnight, I shrugged and moved onto the next paragraph. The writing was to superficial to re...more
Jacqueline Walton
I really loved this book. I am a huge fan of the new show Revolution. This book is a lot like the show. The characters trying to survive in a very hostile world. A crazy egomainical villian, and many many more similarities. The author made me care about his characters and what happened to them. I would have gladly paid for this book had I known how good it was!!!!!! I got it through one of the sites offering free ebooks. I hope Mr Brackett comes up with another gem like this, I will be first in...more
Dave
I stumbled across the TV series Jericho and watched the two seasons on Netflix. After that I started looking for other books/films I could read/watch that were like that series. I came across Half Past Midnight and started reading it. It runs along the same plot lines as Jericho. Lots of action in a post atomic bomb USA! It was a page turner for sure.
It follows a family who flees Houston, TX to find "safety" in a small town. What plays out is anything but safe.
I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Jennifer The Forgetful Fairy Queen
I enjoyed this book. Well not really enjoyed it almost seems mean with the bad stuff that happens in this book. LOL This book helped me indulge my post apocalyptic paranoia. This is how I imagined things would happen. Well not the whole town coming together type stuff but all the other things pretty much sums up most of my fears! The writing was well done and this book was VERY believable.
Steve
This is not a bad book. this is the authors first book so character development was a little thin and the story was a little transparent. I liked how they dealt with the nuclear fallout but wished the author went into a little more detail with some of the survival techniques. I liked the book overall and expect the authors following books to only get better with experience.
Skip Coryell
I usually don't enjoy novels in first person, but I enjoyed this one very much. Lots of action, a few new twists, and the characters were good. If you're into post-apocalyptic reading, you'll enjoy this one. Half Past Midnight by Jeff Brackett
Jenn
Another one I picked up free or cheap for my Kindle when I first got it. I was surprised by this one. Most of the free or cheap ones are VERY fluffy (and bad) romance or really bad general fiction. This was neither. I quite liked this one. I read it at the gym and it took me a while, but I'd definitely recommend it.
Virginia Lawson
Enjoyed the book. It follows a family surviving life after a massive nuclear attack . This story takes place over a couple years , so characters & daily life are not fleshed out as they would be if dealing with shorter time period. A good first book by author.
August
The book starts off strong and goes to about half way keeping your interest. Then it stalls out and drags out slowly. The ending is good. Ends pretty quickly considering. So from about 50% to 95% it's just determination that you've made it this far to finish.
Ginger Rose
I dont know why I like this style of book, but I do. I guess because I like to know that no matter how things are it could always be worse. It caught my attention as soon as I read the first chapter. If you like disaster stories you will like this book.
Emma Williams
This is a good solid entertaining read. What was particularly interesting was how they dealt with nuclear fall out. Not sure how realistic this book is but it is enjoyable with a villan who is evil and relentless. A good solid enjoyable story.
Brittany
A good book but I definitely expected the plot to go a different direction. I expected one thing from the book but it certainly went a different direction. I'm not sure how much I liked it once things went crazy with Larry.
Brad T.
reminded me a lot of One Second After. a good read, exceeded my expectations.
Christina
First half, 4 stars. Second half, 1 star. Overall very meh and disappointing, thanks to the ridiculous contortions the book goes through to try and make the big twist make any kind of sense.
Paula
Typical of it genre. I enjoyed it, but the protagonist needed to be a little stronger. He's kind of 'every guy' -- not the real leader sort I like to see in these books.
Ron
Good old fashioned post-apocalyptic survival stuff; pretty well written stuff - and the best part is that the story takes place in TEXAS!
Apocalypse Whenever: New PA novel in town 14 39 Dec 22, 2011 10:53PM
  • Latitude 38
  • Joshua
  • Breakdown
  • The Island of Ted
The Road to Rejas Streets of Payne Streets of Payne Explorers: Beyond the Horizon Explorers: Beyond The Horizon