Start by marking “Half Past Midnight” as Want to Read:
Half Past Midnight

Half Past Midnight

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  398 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The Doomsday Clock gauges the threat of nuclear war. Currently, the clock is set at six minutes before midnight.

What happens after the hands reach midnight?

Survivalist Leeland Dawcett finds out when he and his family are plunged into the nightmare of their country returned to a third-world state.

No phones. No computers. No television.

At first, Leeland thinks basic survival
Published December 10th 2011 by Telemachus Press, LLC (first published December 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Half Past Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Past Midnight

Angela Gambrel
Oct 05, 2012 Angela Gambrel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. Really. But...

Flat characters. A survivalist nutjob who has been preparing for EXACTLY this scenario. Weapons...and weapons...and more weapons. And loads of food, supplies, and a vehicle old enough to survive an EMP. And of course he is an expert karateka.

The first hundred pages or so reads like it a survivalist manual. Or a guide for the militia. Or something.

If I had to read one more description of the weapons he had...

And why does the author write such thing
Jon West
Aug 24, 2013 Jon West rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
surviving in a small town in Texas after nuclear war destroys major cities. Not an original story concept, but well written and entertaining.

Good Reads Rating system
My rating system (*]star)
1* couldn't finish book
2* finished book, but didn't like it
3* a good read
4* a very good read often with a novel concept or unusual plot
5* an exceptionally good read, a prominent example of the genre
Joyce
Jan 01, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read. A bit bloody, but post nuclear holocaust you would expect that. Hero vs nemesis story, with a supportive town. Lots of fighting, but also probably not that far off the mark from what might actually happen. Happenings over a three year span. I liked it.
Perry Martin
Jun 26, 2014 Perry Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Brackett's Half Past Midnight, Narrated by Corey Snow is a great book. It keeped me rivited to my speakers throughout the entire story.

The story is in the same genre as Televisions "Revolution" except this book is much better; sticking to a single storyline and this story is complete.

The story starts quickly, and the characters are established with the depth needed according to the story line and then grow as the story moves forward.

In short, World War III starts and Leeland Dawsett is a su
Al
Jan 08, 2012 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
For years, scientists have argued about the effects of a global nuclear war, the best guesses saying there would be many human survivors, but the impact on the world as we know it would be immense. Electromagnetic pulses from the bombs would render most electronic equipment useless. Fallout would have impacts on the food supply, both animals used as meat and crops.

In "Half Past Midnight," author Jeff Brackett has imagined what it would be like in this post-nuclear-war world and how families like
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Leeland Dawcett is a machinist in his family-owned shop and is working a Saturday with his dad when it happens…Doomsday. Leeland is a survivalist and has done his best to be ready for this occasion. He needs to protect his family, pack up their supplies and get the heck out of Houston before the city gets a big heaping helping of nuclear bombs. So begins the story of a man and his family trying to survive the unthinkable.

I am one of the most stingy of people to give out a rating of 5. A book rea
Samantha Blair
Jan 13, 2012 Samantha Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Feb 10, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
For his first book this book was a none stop read for me. It is about a man and his family trying to survive after nuclear bombs are set off. It is truly a stunning read.
Ok I was rereading this book and I realized I did it's review no justice. I'm so sorry Mr. Brackett. This is one of the most addicting books that I have read. It is not only a very intense read at times but is also very visually stunning. Mr. Brackett manages to get to totally absorbed into this family's struggle to make it work
Cindy
Nov 22, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apocalyptic thriller, complete with chapter introductions courtesy of Nostradamus. Despite predictable plot (apocalypse brings out the best and worst in people) and flat characters (mostly thoroughly evil or somewhat perfect or a "redshirt" cannon fodder), the pace is relentless. Almost impossible to put down, but when away from the narration it is also difficult to pick back up ("Why am I reading this?").
Patricia Kaniasty
Jun 04, 2016 Patricia Kaniasty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was one of the most believable post-apocalyptic stories that I have ever read. Well, with the exception of one or two little things. Lots of action, suspense, sadness.........kept me on the edge of my seat. A must read for those who like end of the world stories.
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's original Half Past Midnight audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

For a survivalist it is all about what to do right before the and immediately after a crisis – the safe house, the supplies, the family and the survival! Leland Dawcett was prepared but not really – how many people can prepare for nuclear bombs? Hoarding and making a plan is easy, it’s the dealing with death of loved ones and the horrors of what lies “out there.” What Leland had to discover hims
A.F. Grappin
Jan 25, 2015 A.F. Grappin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little thrown off at the beginning of Half Past Midnight, mostly because I had no real foundation of who Leeland was, when or where I was, before the nukes went off. Still, I found I didn't mind. Brackett so grabbed me with the threat of nuclear war that I was more concerned about general survival than who I was dealing with. By the time things settled, that imbalance had been righted by Leeland's plans and abilities, and I found myself safe with him and his family.

It actually startled m
Terri
Jun 19, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A killer thriller!
1st, let me say I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. When I can, I prefer to listen to my books as narrators do a much better job than I can do at multiple voices & excitement in story along with accents & proper pronunciations. A narrator just makes a story so much more entertaining! This is 1 such story that was much better in audio vs eBook!
This is a edge of your seat thriller about nuclear war. How would we handle it? What could we do?
Devon Porter
Feb 17, 2014 Devon Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad take on the nuclear version of the apocalypse, although the characters were a bit flat. It had some great information about how to survive a nuclear apocalypse though, and the part where the town gets involved and the descriptions if a large battle and guerrilla warfare are very good.
Teressa
Apr 24, 2015 Teressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audio version of this book was fantastic! It was very realistic. I will listen to this again. It was very thought-provoking.

I liked this book from the very beginning. I was hooked right away. When Leeland hears what is happening he wastes no time in kicking his survival skills into high gear; giving his whole family a task to do in order to prepare for immediate evacuation from their home. This was clear throughout the whole story where he proves his leadership skills even when he has to let
Brian Hawkins
Feb 07, 2015 Brian Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half Past Midnight follows the path of a single family during and after a full scale nuclear attack on the United States. See how the key players maintain their freedom, their lives, after the entire country drops to its knees.

Good read and I really enjoyed it.
Julie
Oct 06, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great post SHTF novel. This one uses atomic bombs instead of an EMP which is cool. Now you learn snout radiation and some worries that entails like what meat can you eat, safe drinking water, dig a trench, cover with soil, hope you can afford a bulldozer and backhoe at the time.
Seriously the characters are good. The family a bit too MacGyver-like, but not in a horrible way. I enjoyed the story, but when it came time to write the review I realize I probably will quickly forget the book,
Robert
New author for me. Very good apocalypse survival story with great characters. Well written with a fair amount of action, a little humor, and much to do with the survival of a town after an EMP. Truly a good story I think all who appreciate this genre will enjoy.
Drew
Nov 19, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found ‘Half Past Midnight’ to be one of the better self-published PA books that I’ve read. It’s well thought-out, well written and entertaining. The author takes the reader on a journey through this post-apocalyptic world and does a great job of describing what’s going on and how the town is surviving without getting into the weeds. The plot moved and kept my interest throughout. The only downside is that since the author doesn’t get into the weeds some of the battle scenes left me a bit wanti ...more
Angela Autrey
Nov 13, 2014 Angela Autrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Average post-apocalyptic survival story with a ridiculous bad guy named Larry. Lots of martial arts, including big showdown at the end. Above average violence too, I think. Would make for a decent B class sci-fi movie.
Jonathan
Dec 18, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story, the characters...definitely makes one think of the possible scenarios for such a situation.
Tracey Lee
Mar 10, 2015 Tracey Lee rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read

I have never heard of this author before but it sounded like my mind of book . The story and people were full of color and easy to relate to. The topic has been done to death but he put a new twist and gave it life. I would recommend to anyone who likes this kind of read.
Matt Sides
As this started off, I was afraid that it was going to be masturbatory "prepper" wank with a Mary Sue author-insert character who was master of the katana or whatever. However, I was happy to discover I was wrong as the story went on and turned into a sort of post-nuclear mishmash of Jericho, Alas Babylon, Swan Song, and Lucifer's Hammer.
I was actually surprised at how well-written it was for a first novel that was available as a free download from Amazon; no one will mistake it for high literat
Erin Young
It's a good "tossing back some popcorn" thriller. Not the deepest story and characters, but entertaining.
Lorrine Hughes
Jun 20, 2015 Lorrine Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, please give it a try.
Heather
Dec 16, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I finished One Second After by William Fortschen right before starting this book... the plot lines were eerily similar so I found myself constantly comparing the two books. One Second After wins hands-down. Fortschen was able to develop the characters and the plot in a way that made you feel a connection with the story. When a character died in One Second After, I cried. When a characet died in Half Past Midnight, I shrugged and moved onto the next paragraph. The writing was to superficial to re ...more
Jacqueline Walton
I really loved this book. I am a huge fan of the new show Revolution. This book is a lot like the show. The characters trying to survive in a very hostile world. A crazy egomainical villian, and many many more similarities. The author made me care about his characters and what happened to them. I would have gladly paid for this book had I known how good it was!!!!!! I got it through one of the sites offering free ebooks. I hope Mr Brackett comes up with another gem like this, I will be first in ...more
Dave
Aug 27, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across the TV series Jericho and watched the two seasons on Netflix. After that I started looking for other books/films I could read/watch that were like that series. I came across Half Past Midnight and started reading it. It runs along the same plot lines as Jericho. Lots of action in a post atomic bomb USA! It was a page turner for sure.
It follows a family who flees Houston, TX to find "safety" in a small town. What plays out is anything but safe.
I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Pam Shelton-anderson
This wasn't a bad book but I was bothered by several issues. Fallout was only an issue once just once. Thank goodness a neighbor had a backhoe and they could dig a shelter and stock in less than 2 days. Also lucky that the bug or place had a lot of stocked food and supplies. But rather than focusing on the change to the world and how to survive, it was mostly about the power struggle between the main character and a crazy murderer who ended up as the leader of thousands of troops.
Jennifer The Forgetful Fairy Queen
I enjoyed this book. Well not really enjoyed it almost seems mean with the bad stuff that happens in this book. LOL This book helped me indulge my post apocalyptic paranoia. This is how I imagined things would happen. Well not the whole town coming together type stuff but all the other things pretty much sums up most of my fears! The writing was well done and this book was VERY believable.
Apocalypse Whenever: New PA novel in town 14 40 Dec 22, 2011 10:53PM
  • Dark Grid
  • Selection Event
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • The Pulse: A Novel of When America's Grid Goes Black
  • The Black Witch
  • Desperate Times
  • The Zona
  • The Jakarta Pandemic (The Perseid Collapse, #0.5)
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
  • Deep Winter
  • 77 Days in September
  • Perigee
  • The Visitors (299 Days, #5)
  • What Came After
  • Adrian's War (A Distant Eden, #2)
  • Latitude 38
  • World-Mart
  • Holding Their Own: A Story of Survival (Holding Their Own, #1)