Start by marking “Sullivan's War: Prologue - Sergeant Riley's Account” as Want to Read:
Sullivan's War: Prologue - Sergeant Riley's Account

Sullivan's War: Prologue - Sergeant Riley's Account

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the jungles of the planet Edaline, a mysterious species known as the Squamata has long avoided the planet's human colonizers. But as the only survivor of an apparent attack by the Squamata, Sergeant Leonard Riley knows that the government's official version of events is untrue. Now he must make a choice between protecting the government he once proudly served and exposi ...more
Published December 12th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Sullivan's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sullivan's War

Dale
Mr. Rose knocks another one out of the galaxy with the prologue of Sullivan's War: Sergeant Riley's Account.

The planet of Edaline is home to a rare species called 'The Squamata'. Sergeant Riley and a group of other scientists and military personnel fall victim to an apparent Squamata attack in which Riley is the sole survivor. Riley's recollection of the event differs from that of is superiors and soon Sergeant Riley is forced to make a decision: Protect the government or reveal their true color
Benjamin Wretlind
Sergeant Riley's Account is a gem of a novella. Tight, well-written, masterfully formed, this thrill-a-minute ride will keep you glued to your seat until the very end. As the Afterword explains, this novella was not conceived as a prologue to Michael K. Rose's Sullivan's War, but it serves so well as an introduction to the his universe that I want to run out and read everything else immediately.

The dialogue, the rising action, the ultimate climax at the end--everything presented is stitched toge
Robert Zimmermann
I’ve been wanting to read Michael K. Rose’s Sullivan’s War books for months now and haven’t gotten to that part of my to-be-read pile just yet. But tonight I have a little down time for a short read, and decided to at least start with the Sullivan’s War Prologue, Sergeant Riley’s Account.

This is just the short story I needed to sit down with. It’s a fast ready, yet it has a lot going on inside it where it’s memorable. As the description states, this is a stand-alone story, yet at the same time i
Charlie Kravetz
Dec 09, 2012 Charlie Kravetz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction readers
An exciting story by itself, but also a great prologue to the trilogy Sullivan's War, as described in a first hand account from the person that knew best.

This is the account of how the military started a war on Edaline. It is the story told by a lone survivor of an attack on the Squamata, the natives of Edaline.

I was able to relate easily to the main character of this story. The confusion Sergeant Riley felt, and the military pressure he was given brought the story to life for me. Although writ
Tara Wood
Three words come to mind after reading this. Intriguing. Entertaining. More.

What Rose does in a few pages is establish a world and a defining set of scenarios that puts into motion a need for the reader to know more.

Sgt. Riley is a pawn in a government plot designed to further its own ambitions. He is, in a sense, the everyman in this tale, railing against the political and military forces of the planet Edaline.

The writing is crisp and vivid; there is nothing extraneous. If you are a science or
Isaac Macfarlane
short

This story could have been a bit longer. Too many details were left unanswered. But since this is part of a series perhaps the answers are in other stories.
J.D. Currie
In this science fiction thriller, Sgt. Riley is faced with a difficult choice- to tell the truth in direct conflict with the government or remain quiet about what he knows of the massacre of the mysterious Squamata. The difficulty and heart-pounding consequences of Sgt. Riley's choice are conveyed masterfully in this "edge of your seat" short story. This is wonderful prologue to Michael Rose's writing and his series, Sullivan's War.
Alexia Purdy
I read this as part of Michael's new collection of Short Stories, it was awesome. I appreciate the mystery and sci-fi elements thrown into this story. It was intense and I felt that I was along in the decisions and outcome with Sgt. Riley. He's put into a difficult situation, but ends up deciding that he needed to do what was right in the end. Great writing!
Teri Heyer
Jul 07, 2012 Teri Heyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Sci-Fi
Recommended to Teri by: On Twitter
Sergeant Riley's Account is an excellent read. It can certainly be read as a stand alone short story, but it's an enticing prologue for Sullivan's War. It was so good that I promptly started reading Sullivan's War. Hurry and read this book.
Stefano
I liked this short story. It's well written and left me the curiosity to read more about this universe.I'll surely buy the other volumes.
Angus
Short but definitely in the vein of Phillip K. Dick. Awesome.
Deanka
Deanka marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
glitrbug
glitrbug marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Laura Sullivan
Laura Sullivan marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ankt
Ankt marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Clive Johnson
Clive Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ron
Ron added it
Apr 03, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Sullivan's War Begins 1 2 Dec 13, 2011 12:16PM
Michael K. Rose is a part-time writer and a full-time idler.
More about Michael K. Rose...
Sleep All Good Men Serve the Devil (Sullivan's War, #1) Sullivan's War: The Omnibus Edition Chrysopteron The Tunnel