Start by marking “Introduction to Electrodynamics” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Electrodynamics

Introduction to Electrodynamics

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  2,732 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Intended for junior/senior-level electricity and magnetism courses, this book features a treatment of the fundamentals of electromagnetic theory, providing a platform for the exploration of related applications (ac circuits, antennas, transmission lines, plasmas, and optics).
Unknown Binding, 576 pages
Published June 30th 2006 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1981)

DJ
Aug 31, 2008 DJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves physics
Shelves: physics
This book is the paragon of fine textbook writing. Griffith discusses experiment, history, and theory alongside one another. Every great equation is preceded by a discussion of the physics behind it and when you do reach that beautiful equation, you understand every piece. Intuitive pictures and explanations accompany any abstract proof. Doing the exercises is like unwrapping a present; each leading the student to discover some new and interesting facet of the material most recently presented. T ...more
Ivan Idris
Jan 01, 2012 Ivan Idris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an introduction on electricity and magnetism covering:

Electrostatics
Electric Fields
Magnetostatics
Magnetic Fields
Radiation
Relativistic Electrodynamics

The style of the book is very concise. In my opinion the majority of the examples are a bit abstract. Still the explanations are clear and the main points are indicated in such a way that you cannot miss them. For instance, in the story about Faraday’s law, the sentence

“A changing magnetic field induces an electric field.”

is print
Laurel
May 25, 2007 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book should be this book.

I am taking a class involving this book again, and have been reacquainted with how awesome it is. It is in fact almost unnecessary to take a class to learn the material if you have this book and enough motivation.

Some people are somewhat put off by the informal, conversational writing style, the way it forces you to work through problems rather than handing everything to you, and it's somewhat non-standard notation. I must say, if the writing style is more difficul
Mohammad Sherafati
May 31, 2017 Mohammad Sherafati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
نسبت به کتاب های الکترومغناطیس دیگر ، زبان روان تری دارد و بهتر توضیح داده است ، گرچه اشتباه هم در کتاب پیدا میشود
Sean
Nov 17, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to a good mathematical approach to learning Electricity and Magnetism, Griffiths is your man. He treats the subject with just the right level of rigor, where you understand why the equations and principles are the way they are, but not at the point where you are swamped with burdensome grad school math. The order in which he presents the topics is perfect; each new topic builds on the previous topics. My undergraduate physics program had no better textbook than this one, and I recomm ...more
Michael Nielsen
Jan 20, 2017 Michael Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best introductory book about electromagnetism. For more advanced material you'll need Jackson, but Griffiths smooths the way tremendously.
Nevena
Nov 29, 2014 Nevena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so good, I read it twice! (I also walked out of the exam with an A, yay me!)
Mobin Shakeri
Jul 02, 2017 Mobin Shakeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a really great book. I don't think you could find any elementary electrostatic/dynamic book that makes you involve this much.
the problems are fine and standard. and the explanations are magnificent.
and I really enjoy the informal tone in the text.
Langsguyar Arteaga
The best book ever to learn electrodynamics!
Balan
Mar 08, 2017 Balan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Muhammad Mossad
Feb 23, 2017 Muhammad Mossad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If he could have just made the special relativity part higher level and added more exercises for Mikowski-Raum in order it to be -for anyone- easier with 4th-dimensional problems.
Roshan Shrestha
Aug 30, 2011 Roshan Shrestha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction to Electrodynamics is probably the best book I have read on Electrodynamics at the Introductory level, though I have heard great reviews on the Classical Electrodynamics by Jackson which is what I am planning to read very soon. This book presents the subject matter in a very informal way which is what Griffiths is successful on explaining the boring subject at times in an articulate way. The best part about this for me was the chapter on Vector Analysis which most book fails at sinc ...more
Silvio Curtis
Jan 25, 2013 Silvio Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It can be covered comfortably in two semesters," but unfortunately I'm not taking a class on this and don't have two semesters to spend on it, so I had to skip or skim most of the math and read for definitions and basic ideas. That's a shame, because it meant missing the heart of the textbook, even though the author tries to give geometrical and intuitive explanations too where at all possible. The first half teaches you to calculate electric fields created by unmoving charges and magnetic fiel ...more
Jerry Smith
Jan 01, 2015 Jerry Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I own both the 3rd and 4th editions of this book and pretty much the only difference is a few tweaks in the text explanations and some of the problems were changed, though most are exactly the same. Also the 4th edition is a bit thinner and has a way nicer cover.

This is pretty much accepted as the best book out there for learning electrodynamics. Very good explanations, probably the best example problems of any textbook I've had, and very thorough.

It will start you out with just static electri
Michelle
Seriously one of the best stories ever told.

Griffiths connects almost everything you learn in Freshman physics. The story starts with how have we learned simple electric and magnetic fields behave experimentally, and what are equations that model that? Coulomb's law, Biot-Savart law. Electric fields of stationary charges and magnetic fields of steady currents. Then chapter 7 is the climax. Maxwell's equations. E&M distilled to its essence.

My favorite is chapter 9. All the wave/optics equati
Philip
Jul 13, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introductory text to the study of electromagnetics. It gives students a good physical understanding of the subject and provides the tools a student needs to solve EM problems. It gives them a solid foundation for them to build upon for more advanced studies in Electromagnetics.

Field and Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng is the other introductory electromagnetics book I recommend. It gives a good physical understanding of the matter, but not to the same extent as Griffiths.
Chaitanya
Mar 16, 2014 Chaitanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for introduction to ElectrMagnetics
Shelves: electromagnetics
Nice textbook.
Gets to the concepts & hits the right nerve. Really makes me love EM even more.

This book is written with main target on people preferring self study & I rarely have seen this. Very often it feels like author is talking to over a cup of coffee & spilling his wisdom into you. Worth a read for solid introduction, although I admit that with this book you ain't going anywhere near exams because material is too fundamental from exam point. Other text for specified topic is m
Gilang
Jun 24, 2009 Gilang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku teks untuk mata kuliah yang berhubungan dengan Elektromagnetik Klasik. Contoh soalnya banyak dan ada kunci jawabannya, cukup runut dengan basis matematika yang diterangkan di awal-awal bab, khususnya kalkulus vektor, sehingga teori dan persamaan matematis bab berikutnya menjadi lebih mudah untuk dipahami. Bab yang diterangkan terdiri dari Elektrostatik sampai Gejala Gelombang Elektromagnetik, ditambah satu bab tentang pengenalan gejala elektromagnet relativistik.

Sangat membantu untuk anda y
William
Dec 20, 2009 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than getting used to full vector notation in calculus, there is really no reason to teach from any other electrodynamics book at the undergraduate level. Freshman and sophomore level books are often so interested in problems due to the large lectures containing many engineers and med students that the explanations are poor at best. This book on the other hand is very clear. While students need to be quite comfortable with calculus to deal with the notation, the explanations are elementary ...more
Mgt.Sarandia
Nov 28, 2014 Mgt.Sarandia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book for my Intro to E&M class as a physics major in college. The book is well-organized and written in semi-conversational language which greatly relieved the effort I spent on trying to comprehend the material. Equations and theorems are documented in such a way that they can be referenced effortlessly. Practice problems have several levels of difficulty and therefore satisfy the needs of a wide range of learners. Overall, I would recommend this book even if it's not chose ...more
Kaitlyn
Mar 07, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best textbook I've ever had the pleasure (and it really was a pleasure) of reading. Very clear, concise, and, believe it or not, funny. Griffiths' writes in a down-to-earth, simple fashion, so you don't get caught up in jargon and verbosity. He writes to the student, saying how "you" need to do this, and sometimes how "I" prefer to do that. It really feels like he's sitting there teaching you E&M, and it's a great experience.
Gaurav
Mar 03, 2015 Gaurav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David J. Griffiths is a magician. The way he writes his books is wonderfully unique- as if he were delivering a public lecture, with all the tiny little jokes, while at the same time not missing out the (much required) mathematics. For an example, one of the later chapters in the book gives a brief introduction to the theory of special relativity. The chapter beautifully explains the concept in a way and that other books centered on STR cannot.
Ashiqul Dip
Jan 21, 2013 Ashiqul Dip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Undergraduate Physics Student
There is no doubt that Griffiths is the best book on electrodynamics. It can be more useful if used with "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor. Some people prefer the book of Jackson, but I should say that this is peerless for undergrads majoring physics. Jackson is a graduate text and may be a stress for undergrads.
Peyton
Apr 20, 2012 Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Griffiths is a great textbook writer. Often, it seems as though he gives just enough examples for you to be able to do some of the problems without trying; others, with some difficulty; and some problems are quite difficult. In short, there's a good balance with the level of difficulty of the problem sets here - which to me is important for learning.
Dave
Sep 08, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a staple of any serious Physics library. Griffiths strikes a really accessible balance between explaining concepts thoroughly and keeping the subject matter moving. Much of the math is overly-shortcutted for my tastes, but that is why the book is so thin. I just personally believe that review of fundamental principles can never hurt.
Charudatta Manwatkar
Not just one of the best textbooks on Electrodynamics, but it's one of the best textbooks I've ever read! His lucid language and clear explanation and sometimes quirky humor makes the subject a cakewalk. It happens very rarely that a textbook combines mathematical rigor and physical intuition so effortlessly the way this one does. A masterpiece indeed!
AJ
Nov 03, 2007 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite reference books. It covers vector analysis and electrodynamics very comprehensively. Although I've never had a class that has required this textbook, I frequently found myself using it as a reference in courses I took in optics and fields and waves, and even for brushing up my vector math skills.
Jun 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you know calculus (he does give you a vector calculus primer in the first chapter, but I think that would've been pretty tough if it was my first exposure to 3-D calc), this textbook is excellent! Griffiths is obviously an amazing teacher, and his writing style is wonderfully informal but not at the expense of rigor.
Rich Bergmann
Dec 29, 2011 Rich Bergmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Griffiths has a goofy shorthand notation for the difference vector (^r-^r'), but getting past that this is the most approachable undergraduate text on the subject.

So far we have covered the first six chapters in the first semester course and we will be covering the remaining chapters when classes start next month.
Murali Behara
Apr 03, 2013 Murali Behara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why can't everyone else write a book* like David J. Griffiths does? Good for reading many times and to study and apply the subject matter. *Primarily the bed-rock Physics courses, Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics & Materials Science. 15yrs later, i'm planning to read Griffiths.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Book Cover 2 11 Jan 28, 2016 02:30PM
  • Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics
  • Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Modern Physics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics
  • Spacetime Physics
  • A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“As long as we are engaged in this orgy of unnecessary terminology and notation…” 0 likes