Start by marking “Star Wars: the Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: the Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded

Star Wars: the Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Revised and expanded!

"Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide," newly revised and expanded, reveals the story of the amazing Star Wars saga in full detail. 40 new pages help to explain every detail about "Star Wars" from the millennia-spanning history of George Lucas's long ago, far away galaxy to the "Star Wars" movies and ever-expanding range of books, novels, comics, and m
Published April 30th 2012 by DK Children (first published September 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This book is a visual guide to all the six Star Wars film, in chronological order. This book doesn't cover the basic stuff like characters (in depth anyway), weapons, etc which are already covered in Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary. Instead, this book goes into the galaxy conflicts and background stories of things you see on screen, for example, Jabba's palace, Luke's training with Yoda, etc.

It's filled with lots of imagery, comic frames, film stills a
Aaron
I am the FURTHEST person from the title "Star Wars fan," but this visual encyclopedia, that Dayson picked up from the library, was THOROUGHLY enjoyable! (I can't believe I'm writing this!) It tells the whole SW story from a historical perspective (using movies, novels, cartoons, comic books, etc.), starting well before the movies and ending well after the movies. Man, Mr. Lucas created quite a universe! For a short moment, my inner Jedi came out! :)
Aioki Reika
“This is so HARD-CORE VISUAL GUIDE!”

From the Star Wars SAGA, Comics, TV-Series, Collectibles and Games…this is so ULTIMATE! I got overwhelmed by the book cause it’s a hard bound and a high-quality colored pages that makes you say “WOW!”. It’s really nice to see them all in just one book.
I love it and I suggest this to those Star Wars Fans to have one. Definitely worth it.
Darren Vincent
I am a long time fan that is still reading (some of) the Expanded Universe books, so it is not easy to provide me with content that I am not familiar with, or in a way that makes it seem fresh. This book managed to do just that.

Being a visual guide more than an encyclopedic guide, this book is wonderful. There are lots of great artwork and still from the movies and TV shows to view. Past and present are all represented, along with the stories as they appear throughout different media. I do wish
Douglas Koehne
I really enjoyed reading this book. DK Publishing does their usual complete and thorough job in detailing the fictional history of the Star Wars universe in text and pictures. Spanning all the movies, the TV appearances, comics, and even books, the amount of background history for Star Wars is incredible. I find it very interesting that the weakest link in all this incredible outpouring of creativity are the movies themselves. After reading this I'm even more disappointed in the second trilogy. ...more
Andrew
Ok I will admit I am biased towards Star Wars - how can I not be since it was the first film I ever saw - yep at the tender and impressionable age.
Anyway - This book as the blub says is updated and revised and thats exactly what it is - I originally read the first edition some time ago - then I discovered that it had been updated - it now includes a lot of new material, from the Clone wars to the the old republic to mention but two of the many new additions and updates.
The book as always is la
Alex Brown
This is actually the best star wars book you can get for people who want to learn more about star wars, but for people that already know a lot about star wars its not that good. The book is generally really good, plenty of information and pictures with most of it. The book covers pretty much every thing in the star wars universe (generally) and has info on anything from the wars, to the videogames, and even merchandise, and technology. Like i said its got a little bit of everything from star war ...more
PWRL
Mar 05, 2015 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: zzz2015-mar-new
SM
Michael Alexander Henke
For someone as steeped in Star Wars as myself, this book doesn't really offer anything. It's stuffed with art, images, and info, but the majority of it is things I've seen and read before. Towards the end there are some pretty cool sections on merchandise and behind the scenes of the movies. This isn't to say the book is bad however, just as I can get entertainment from the watching the movies multiple times, I can get entertainment out of book like this.
Prasidh Ramson
My first Visual Guide...Impressive, most impressive! Whether you are new to the galaxy far, far away from a time long ago or a dedicated Fanboy/girl this guide has something for everyone. Includes events before and after Episodes I-VI, Expanded Universe, Clone Wars, Collectibles, Video games and more. Definitely worth a read for the newbie or a great reference book for fans.
Cyn
Quite detailed book on the Star Wars universe. This was the older version of the book (which I bought several years ago and finally got around to reading with my son just recently), so it doesn't have the most up-to-date information as I would like. Not sure if it's worth purchasing the newer edition though. Recommended for any Star Wars fan.
Amethesttub7
Ive had this book since 2005 and loved it, still love it, it gives you everything you need to know about star wars, and in depth too
Kimberly
Aug 06, 2012 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star War Fans
A great book that gives tons of details and amazing photos and art work about the Star Wars movies. Whether you are a huge fan of Star Wars or you just enjoy the movies this is a great book to read or just skim through. And if you've just seen the six movies then you'll learn some new stuff from this book too.
Rll52013_andrea
So, this would constitue informational and sci/fi! It's checked out quite a bit at my school! No wonder--great pictures (in a variety of formats: photographic, realistically depicted art, comic book graphics, diagramesque) and very chocked-full of informative details for all levels of fans!
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
Stay tuned to an extra special Twitter / blog tour of Star Wars by DK Canada !!

Nick will give his insights on this book, which just by looking at it quickly is awesome !!

Josue Manriquez
This book is what it is! I would give it 5 stars, but why would I? It's just a survey book about Star Wars, which indeed is probably as good as it can be.
Brandon Rooney
Fairly good content but it is more concise, and laden with imagery, than I was hoping for. Still, a great addition to any collector's library!
Natasha
This book is the WHOLE SHABAMNG of the Visual Dictionaries, what every Star Wars fan needs for their collection to be complete!
Josh
Purely amazing!! An in depth, beautifully structured visual guide. An absolute must for any Star Wars Fan.
Logan
Excellent! If you like Star Wars check it out especially if you've got a kid to read it with.
Vijai Jayaram
Oscillates between interesting n downright boring...makes me want to see the movies again
Meghan
This is so good that I think I need to invest in the anniversary ed. with 20 extra pages.
Julie
Yes, I am a star wars fangirl... I'm not going to apologise for that. Nope.
Abraham Ray
nice book for fans of the movie series & of science fiction in general!
Suvi
Interesting, concise information on everything Star Wars. Cool photos too! :)
The Night Hawk (Erin)
Excellent encyclopedia for the stories. Great companion book
Billy Maise
A optical smorgasbord.
Perfect for your everyday Star Wars fan.
Theresa
great pictures and more information then you need
Sara
Mar 18, 2013 Sara added it
I learn't more about Star Wars and the Characters
Theresa
great pictures and moveable art work
  • Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
  • The Star Wars Vault: Thirty Years of Treasures from the Lucasfilm Archives, With Removable Memorabilia and Two Audio CDs
  • Star Wars: The Essential Atlas
  • Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia
  • Star Wars Art: Visions (Star Wars Art, #1)
  • Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
  • The Making of Star Wars (Star Wars:  The Making of, #1)
  • Obsessed with Star Wars
  • The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels
  • Star Wars: The Magic of Myth
  • Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Ryder Windham is an American sci-fi author who has written over sixty Star Wars books, including novels, comics, reference books, and so on. He has also written junior novelizations for Indiana Jones movies. Since 1993, he has been working on Star Wars projects either by himself or with other authors. His reference book Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide had been on the New York Times Best Selle ...more
More about Ryder Windham...
The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars) The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars) Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force The Wrath of Darth Maul (Star Wars) A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)