Start by marking “Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)

Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,386 ratings  ·  176 reviews
Pleasure Is On Her Dance Card

Determined to find a husband, Miss Eleanor "Ellie" Bowman attends a ball put on by the Duchess of Greycliffe, fondly referred to as the Duchess of Love. But she roundly dismisses the suitors the matchmaking hostess has invited on her behalf. For it's the duchess' dashing son, Ned, Lord Edward, who long ago captured Ellie's heart—and roused her
Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Zebra (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bedding Lord Ned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedding Lord Ned

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
30th out of 262 books — 641 voters
Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
100th out of 413 books — 950 voters

More lists with this book...

Dinjolina
This was a 5 star book up until the very end. Sadly, the ending was completely flat, and you got the feeling that somebody deleated the last pages of the book by mistake.

A little introduction:
Ned- the widowed hero, and childhood friend of the heroine.
Ellie- the heroine who is hiding her looks ever since the hero married her best friend- the blond and retarded English rose that died in childbirth.
Facts: Ned’s brother Ash is separated from his strong-willed wife. Ned was horrified by this, and by
SOS Aloha
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. - Hippolyte Taine

Sally MacKenzie is one of the reasons I read romance in general and Regency romance in particular. I discovered her debut book, THE NAKED DUKE, at the Stars and Stripes Book Store … and laughed my way home through the Netherlands farmlands. I’ve laughed my way through nine NAKED aristocrats.

Last year, MacKenzie introduced us to the DUCHESS OF LOVE. Venus Collingswood fell in love with And
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review first posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

Those red drawers were going to be the death of her.

Ellie had made them for herself to go with a beautiful, if slightly scandalous, dress for a ball. Her goal had been to capture Ned’s heart. Unfortunately though, her mother made her change. It turned out that Ned and her best friend are announcing their engagement. Within the year, her best friend dies, and she of course, stands by Ned and offers her friendship. It’s said many times that he w
Kasey
This book was just not for me. It hit all my dislikes. Some will like it and others may love it, but for me it was like nails on a chalkboard to read. I feel bad for my harsh opinion of this book it did have some things going for it.

Ellie was my worst idea of a leading lady and I tried to like her. She wasn't unlikable as a person, but she seemed like a doormat. She pined after this guy for years. He chose someone else she settles for not marrying assuming they will have a long happy marriage.
Amanda
This book made me feel like a crotchety old woman yelling, "Get off my lawn, you little cretins!" Except instead of kids on my lawn, it's old people fornicating in my book.

(Pause a second. I have no issue with old people having sex. Sometimes you have to say things for effect.)

A few scenes -- a few sexy scenes are not of Ned and Ellie, our protagonists. No, they're of the Duke and Duchess of Love. Who already have an established relationship and their own novella.

(Which I read twice. Accidentall
Elizabeth
Scandalously funny and wickedly entertaining! Make room on your keeper shelf for Sally MacKenzie's Duchess of Love series!
Susan
Fun book, involving a matchmaking Duchess, a thieving cat, an oblivious hero and a heroine who has all but given up. The Duchess gives a Valentine ball every year at the end of a week long house party. She always invites a variety of people who she thinks will match well with each other. This year she really wants her middle son, Ned, to move on with his life and find a new love. She has the perfect woman in mind, but he is oblivious.

Ned had been very much in love with Cicely. He feels responsib
Hilcia
Trope: The secret crush
Setting: A triple birthday party at a country estate
Male Protagonist: Clueless
Female Protagonist: Helplessly in love
Helping Along: A thieving cat, a misplaced pair of red silk drawers, two brothers, and matchmaker extraordinaire, the Duchess of Love

Nell's secret crush on Ned has lasted a lifetime, literally, but Ned chose to marry her best friend instead. He has been a widower for three years and Nell has been turning away all suitors in hopes that someday Ned will turn to
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
It all started with a silky pair or red knickers. Ellie knows they are scandalous and no one expects that from the very proper spinsterish Miss Ellie Bowman, but she has them anyway. Unfortunately a very mischevious cat keeps finding them and bringing them to his master, the man Ellie has been in love with since she was a child, Lord Edward, Ned. Seeing Ellie's scandalous bloomers has had an odd effect on Ned, he can't help imagining her in them...and nothing else. But he tries to push these tho ...more
Katie(babs)
Sally MacKenzie is one of my all time favorite historical romance authors. Her books are a combination of sweet and funny with so many endearing characters. I was sad to hear she had ended her Naked series, but I'm overjoyed she has a new series called the Duchess of Love series.

Bedding Lord Ned is the first book about Lord Ned Edward, son to Venus, the Duchess of Greycliffe, who is fondly called the Duchess of Love. Venus is still madly in love with her husband Drew, the duke, who she has been
Grace Fonseca
Utterly charming and hilarious. The humor made this book a lot more charming. I really found that this book made me smile and laugh. The two main characters are so different that you don’t think they are going to work, but they do in a very surprising way.

I think part of the charm of Ellie or “Nell” as she is called is that even though everyone claims she wears hideous frocks, there is a side of her that is very adventurous, especially once her red drawers are found. It is a very interesting tu
Jessi
Eleanor "Ellie" Bowman has been in love with Lord Edward Valentine, "Ned," since they were children. He ended up marrying her best friend, Cicely, who died in childbirth. Five years ago. Ellie held out some brief hope that Ned might look her way but after such a long break, she's ready to give up. Ned's mother, known to all as the Duchess of Love, is a meddling matchmaker (the cute novella "The Duchess of Love" at the end of the paperback version shows how she got her start.) She's set her sight ...more
J. Lynne
I was really disappointed with this book. The writing style was great and had a smooth flow. However, I didn't like the characters or the story that much.

I could sense the romantic attachment Ellie possessed toward Ned. However, I never felt his toward her. Ellie was too submissive and Ned too domineering for my tastes. In addition, their personalities were too staid. They didn't click as a couple. I kept waiting for a spark between the two that never ignited. Even their solitary sex scene was a
Lisa
Miss Eleanor Bowman has been in love with Lord Edward for quite some time but when he married her best friend, she knew it was not meant to be. Shortly after though, his wife dies in childbirth, it leaves Ned devastated and he lives in sort of a fog. When his mother, aptly nicknamed the Duchess of Love, has her annual house party, he attends and decides he must remarry and start a family. Thankfully his mother has invited some potential suitors for him and for Ellie, who has been like a daughter ...more
ARomanceLover
Ellie has been in love with Ned forever, even before he married her best friend. Ned is finally ready to remarry after his wife died in childbirth but though he feels protective of Ellie it takes him some time to figure out how he feels about her.

I listened to the audio book and the narrator was superb. I love the sound effects she used and the voices were perfect. I am also in love with Reginald the mischievous cat who steals ladies scandalous underthings and worships Ned. It was delightful to
Mary
This book was just too slow for me. The two main characters, Ellie and Ned, don't have any "romantic" interaction until the last chapter. Not even a kiss!

I would have enjoyed the book more if they had gotten together earlier..and then we could watch them struggle with their relationship. There were so many times in the first 80% of the book.. when I thought they'd at least kiss..in fact so did Ellie! While I realize that Ned was supposed to be a bit dense as far as how Ellie felt about him, and
May Mostly Romance
เรื่องนี้เป็นเล่มแรกในชุด The Duchess of Love ซึ่งเป็นชื่อเรียกวีนัส วาเลนไทน์ ดัชเชสแห่งเกรย์คริฟ ผู้ซึ่งเป็นนักจับคู่ฝีมือฉกาจ ปัญหาก็คือวีนัสไม่อาจจับคู่ให้กับลูกชายทั้งสามคนของเธอได้สำเร็จราบรื่นเลยสักคน

แต่ในปีนี้วีนัสกำลังวางแผนสำคัญ ลอร์ดเอ็ดเวิร์ด วาเลนไทน์ บุตรชายคนรองซึ่งเป็นหม้าย หลังจากภรรยาเสียชีวิตในการคลอดบุตรพร้อมแล้วที่จะหาภรรยา แม้ว่าเน็ดจะบอกตัวเองและทุกคน (ที่ฟัง) ว่า ครั้งนี้เขาไม่ได้ต้องการมองหาความรัก เพราะเขายังเจ็บปวดไม่หายหลังจากภรรยาที่รักเสียชีวิตก่อนวัยอันควร เขาไม่
Cheryl
Okies, it's about 3.5 stars, but I'll round up. It was a light and fluffy regency, without the sharp barbs of Connie Brockway or the quick wit of Eloisa James, but more readable than much of the fare. I'd probably shelve it beside Jennifer McQuiston.

The story: Ellie Bowman has been friends with Ned, Lord Edward, son of the Duchess of Love, her whole life. And has been in love with him almost as long. She was in love with him when he married her best friend and she was in love with him when his w
PepsiGirl
The audio book version is masterfully done I always love the British narrators. The story even though was hopeful, lacked mostly because of the leading man. Ned was just too wimpy for me and the fact that he hem hemhawed around the whole concept of Ellie as a possible wife was just maddening. Ellie was hopelessly in love with Ned but he never even considered her at all. That is until someone planted the idea in his mind, it seemed that after he was told that she loved him and that he loved her h ...more
Jenny
I'm just going to say that nobody says "Eek!" in real life, much less several times in a span of few days.
Diana
A little slower than I would have expected from Ms. MacKenzie. Ellie and Ned both are a bit insipid and annoying. They clearly deserve each other, the getting together part is just plain dull.

I'm much more interested in why Ash & Jess split up and what will happen to Jack.....but I suppose as the start of a new series, that is the goal of this one -- to hook us all.

Not as fast-moving or fun as the Naked series, nor for that matter the prequel novella, The Duchess of Love.
Tina Denson
Sally....What happened?!?!?!? I have read and actually reread a few of your Naked sries and they are funny, orginal, and sexy. This is a dud. Boring storyline, boring hero, boring miss, ugh just boring, and WTF is up with the cat? SIGH oh well I won't be tuning in for the rest of the series there just wasn't enough here to tempt me to care about the rest of the cast.
Maura
This was kind of a washout for me. It started out promising, but then the characters started getting on my nerves. The Duchess most especially. I don't remember her being so irritating in the [Book: Duchess of Love]. And Ned was uncomfortably high strung - it's a wonder the stick up his ass didn't break when he sat down. I understand that he's fearful because his wife and child died so long ago, but he's too stuck up and controlling for my tastes. He's not a bad guy, just too OCD.

And then there
Leslie
Frivolous fun-- I just can't believe that all three Valentine brothers (not triplets) as well as their mother Venus were all born on Valentine's day.

Surprised to learn that Ned is a nickname for Edward. Does this mean that Ned Nickerson is really Edward Nickerson? Game changer...
Mery
it was okay...

awalnya sih seru... kisah cinta Ellie dan Ned yang dari kecil udah temenan.
Tapi Ned nikah sama sahabat Ellie, dan kemudian menduda karena istrinya meninggal saat melahirkan.

Ellie masih memendam perasaan, sedangkan Ned ga sadar kalau dia juga cinta Ellie.

Tapi ke belakang2 jadi maksa. Apalagi pas hari H pesta ultah si duchess. Ellie jadi berubah total. Dari cewek baik-baik yang nyimpen perasaan, tiba2 gahar. graaaw *krik krik*

Aku mengharapkan akhir yang romantis, lamarannya romantis,
Rie_dominique
Direkomendasikan buat orang-orang yang insomnia atau lagi ngumpulin bacaan dibulan puasa!

bingung siapa yang jadi tokoh utama di buku ini. apakah Duchess of love yang berusaha menjodohkan Ned dan Ellie, ataukah Ned dan Ellie yang dijodohkan oleh Duchess of Love???
Andrea
Meh. Based on the title, I was very hopeful for a fun regency romp. Sadly, the hero and heroine were ridiculous. The constant inner, angsty monologues were tiresome.
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker   (Oh My Shelves)
Mar 23, 2014 Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker (Oh My Shelves) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker by: Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Very disappointing.
Eleanor "Ellie" Bowen has been in love with Lord Edward "Ned" Greycliffe forever. But he chose her best friend, and married her. 4 years later, the best friend died in childbirth, and now Ned is searching for a wife.
His mother, The Duchess Venus Greycliffe throws a ball where she hopes to play match maker and Ellie goes hoping that Ned will finally return her affections.
Ellie also decides that even if Ned doesn't want her, she will make a match with someone because she is rea
SidneyKay
Cover has a cute dog- is it in the book? 2 4 Jun 24, 2014 07:24PM
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal
  • The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine (Sydney Dovedale, #1)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • Loving Lady Marcia (House of Brady, #1)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3) (Windham, #3)
  • The Princess and the Peer (The Princess Brides, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1)
Sally MacKenzie decided to become a writer in grade school when she read one of her stories to the class. Her classmates laughed and she was hooked. She sat down immediately to pen her first novel.

Well, not exactly.

The hooked part is right--cursed might be a better description--but the sitting down and writing part came later. Much later.

Sally eventually went on to college, majoring in English, a
More about Sally MacKenzie...
The Naked Duke (Naked Nobility, #1) The Duchess of Love (Duchess of Love, #0.5) The Naked Marquis (Naked Nobility, #3) The Naked Earl (Naked Nobility, #4) The Naked Baron (Naked Nobility, #2)

“A man's pride needs careful handling.” 0 likes