Start by marking “Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)

Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,962 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
Pleasure Is On Her Dance Card

Determined to find a husband, Miss Eleanor "Ellie" Bowman attends a ball put on by the Duchess of Greycliffe, fondly referred to as the Duchess of Love. But she roundly dismisses the suitors the matchmaking hostess has invited on her behalf. For it's the duchess' dashing son, Ned, Lord Edward, who long ago captured Ellie's heart—and roused her
Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Bedding Lord Ned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedding Lord Ned

Dinjolina
This was a 5 star book up until the very end. Sadly, the ending was completely flat, and you got the feeling that somebody deleated the last pages of the book by mistake.

A little introduction:
Ned- the widowed hero, and childhood friend of the heroine.
Ellie- the heroine who is hiding her looks ever since the hero married her best friend- the blond and retarded English rose that died in childbirth.
Facts: Ned’s brother Ash is separated from his strong-willed wife. Ned was horrified by this, and by
Kasey
Aug 10, 2012 Kasey rated it did not like it
This book was just not for me. It hit all my dislikes. Some will like it and others may love it, but for me it was like nails on a chalkboard to read. I feel bad for my harsh opinion of this book it did have some things going for it.

Ellie was my worst idea of a leading lady and I tried to like her. She wasn't unlikable as a person, but she seemed like a doormat. She pined after this guy for years. He chose someone else she settles for not marrying assuming they will have a long happy marriage.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 08, 2012 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
Review first posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

Those red drawers were going to be the death of her.

Ellie had made them for herself to go with a beautiful, if slightly scandalous, dress for a ball. Her goal had been to capture Ned’s heart. Unfortunately though, her mother made her change. It turned out that Ned and her best friend are announcing their engagement. Within the year, her best friend dies, and she of course, stands by Ned and offers her friendship. It’s said many times that he w
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Mar 03, 2013 Rachel- Goodbye Borders rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Could Ellie be any more clumsy or so easily startled? I lost count the number of times she tripped or said "Eek!" (or a different equivalent).
Much of the book is spent with Ellie pining for Ned and Ned thinking of Cicely and feeling guilty. It got tiring reading how perfect for Ned Cicely was. I. Get. It. I also thought Ned had moments where he was too controlling (must tell those stupid females what is good for them!). That being said, it was still well written and an engaging story. I am intri
Yolanda
3,5
entretenido, ha habido momentos en los que me reía imaginándome las caras de unos y otros. Me han encantado los hermanos, tirándose tiritos los unos a los otros. Con Ellie me he reído bastante.
Amanda
Sep 11, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
This book made me feel like a crotchety old woman yelling, "Get off my lawn, you little cretins!" Except instead of kids on my lawn, it's old people fornicating in my book.

(Pause a second. I have no issue with old people having sex. Sometimes you have to say things for effect.)

A few scenes -- a few sexy scenes are not of Ned and Ellie, our protagonists. No, they're of the Duke and Duchess of Love. Who already have an established relationship and their own novella.

(Which I read twice. Accidentall
Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Scandalously funny and wickedly entertaining! Make room on your keeper shelf for Sally MacKenzie's Duchess of Love series!
Katie(babs)
Feb 26, 2012 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Sally MacKenzie is one of my all time favorite historical romance authors. Her books are a combination of sweet and funny with so many endearing characters. I was sad to hear she had ended her Naked series, but I'm overjoyed she has a new series called the Duchess of Love series.

Bedding Lord Ned is the first book about Lord Ned Edward, son to Venus, the Duchess of Greycliffe, who is fondly called the Duchess of Love. Venus is still madly in love with her husband Drew, the duke, who she has been
Susan
Dec 29, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Fun book, involving a matchmaking Duchess, a thieving cat, an oblivious hero and a heroine who has all but given up. The Duchess gives a Valentine ball every year at the end of a week long house party. She always invites a variety of people who she thinks will match well with each other. This year she really wants her middle son, Ned, to move on with his life and find a new love. She has the perfect woman in mind, but he is oblivious.

Ned had been very much in love with Cicely. He feels responsib
Hilcia
Trope: The secret crush
Setting: A triple birthday party at a country estate
Male Protagonist: Clueless
Female Protagonist: Helplessly in love
Helping Along: A thieving cat, a misplaced pair of red silk drawers, two brothers, and matchmaker extraordinaire, the Duchess of Love

Nell's secret crush on Ned has lasted a lifetime, literally, but Ned chose to marry her best friend instead. He has been a widower for three years and Nell has been turning away all suitors in hopes that someday Ned will turn to
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
It all started with a silky pair or red knickers. Ellie knows they are scandalous and no one expects that from the very proper spinsterish Miss Ellie Bowman, but she has them anyway. Unfortunately a very mischevious cat keeps finding them and bringing them to his master, the man Ellie has been in love with since she was a child, Lord Edward, Ned. Seeing Ellie's scandalous bloomers has had an odd effect on Ned, he can't help imagining her in them...and nothing else. But he tries to push these tho ...more
Cheesecake
Ned and Ellie. I don't know what possessed me to get this one. It was amazingly unromantic. In fact, Ned wouldn't know romance if it sat on his face. Actually, that's pretty much happened and even then, she had to practically strong arm into bed. I also don't understand why Ned was so heartbroken when Cicely died. WHY??? Their marriage sounded luke warm at best. Ned was just this awful stuffy prig and Ellie was just a pathetic doormat. If ever a book could have used an epilogue it was this one!! ...more
Jaye
Apr 02, 2013 Jaye rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I was really disappointed with this book. The writing style was great and had a smooth flow. However, I didn't like the characters or the story that much.

I could sense the romantic attachment Ellie possessed toward Ned. However, I never felt his toward her. Ellie was too submissive and Ned too domineering for my tastes. In addition, their personalities were too staid. They didn't click as a couple. I kept waiting for a spark between the two that never ignited. Even their solitary sex scene was a
Eva
This was a horrible horrible book. Usually I'm too lazy to review a book, no matter how much I might like it. But for this book I moved myself to review it because of how much I hated it.

1. I thought drawers in the regency era were ugly pant crotchless things like chaps. They were not lacy tiny underwear things that the author was insinuating....

2. MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE - THE AUTHOR TOLD US INSTEAD OF SHOWING US. The idea of Ned loving Ellie popped out randomly when Jack mentioned it. The autho
Anamaria
Aug 15, 2015 Anamaria rated it really liked it
Lord Ned is a very unusual hero in a sense that I have yet to read about a... dumber, more confused or conservative (??) one.
Tarra
Oct 15, 2016 Tarra rated it liked it
Er. Um. Huh. Oh. Ha. Ooh. Ah. Zeus!

That consisted of a lot of the dialogue spoken between the characters of Ned and Ellie. It got annoying real fast.

Here's the thing. This book was a surprisingly enjoyable enough read despite the things I found fault in. I liked a lot of the secondary characters, which in reality, it seemed these secondary characters were the focus of this book. Ellie was a doormat and Ned was kinda boring. His brother Jack was dynamic and fun, even his parents were interesting.
Melinda
Feb 08, 2017 Melinda rated it liked it
A typical historical romance.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Miss Eleanor Bowman has been in love with Lord Edward for quite some time but when he married her best friend, she knew it was not meant to be. Shortly after though, his wife dies in childbirth, it leaves Ned devastated and he lives in sort of a fog. When his mother, aptly nicknamed the Duchess of Love, has her annual house party, he attends and decides he must remarry and start a family. Thankfully his mother has invited some potential suitors for him and for Ellie, who has been like a daughter ...more
Grace Fonseca
May 09, 2012 Grace Fonseca rated it really liked it
Utterly charming and hilarious. The humor made this book a lot more charming. I really found that this book made me smile and laugh. The two main characters are so different that you don’t think they are going to work, but they do in a very surprising way.

I think part of the charm of Ellie or “Nell” as she is called is that even though everyone claims she wears hideous frocks, there is a side of her that is very adventurous, especially once her red drawers are found. It is a very interesting tu
Jessi
Eleanor "Ellie" Bowman has been in love with Lord Edward Valentine, "Ned," since they were children. He ended up marrying her best friend, Cicely, who died in childbirth. Five years ago. Ellie held out some brief hope that Ned might look her way but after such a long break, she's ready to give up. Ned's mother, known to all as the Duchess of Love, is a meddling matchmaker (the cute novella "The Duchess of Love" at the end of the paperback version shows how she got her start.) She's set her sight ...more
ARomanceLover
Jul 19, 2012 ARomanceLover rated it really liked it
Ellie has been in love with Ned forever, even before he married her best friend. Ned is finally ready to remarry after his wife died in childbirth but though he feels protective of Ellie it takes him some time to figure out how he feels about her.

I listened to the audio book and the narrator was superb. I love the sound effects she used and the voices were perfect. I am also in love with Reginald the mischievous cat who steals ladies scandalous underthings and worships Ned. It was delightful to
Mary
Jun 20, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
This book was just too slow for me. The two main characters, Ellie and Ned, don't have any "romantic" interaction until the last chapter. Not even a kiss!

I would have enjoyed the book more if they had gotten together earlier..and then we could watch them struggle with their relationship. There were so many times in the first 80% of the book.. when I thought they'd at least kiss..in fact so did Ellie! While I realize that Ned was supposed to be a bit dense as far as how Ellie felt about him, and
Diana
Jun 10, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
A little slower than I would have expected from Ms. MacKenzie. Ellie and Ned both are a bit insipid and annoying. They clearly deserve each other, the getting together part is just plain dull.

I'm much more interested in why Ash & Jess split up and what will happen to Jack.....but I suppose as the start of a new series, that is the goal of this one -- to hook us all.

Not as fast-moving or fun as the Naked series, nor for that matter the prequel novella, The Duchess of Love.
Ggaspar Gegargas
Feb 08, 2016 Ggaspar Gegargas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lo primero de todo tengo que aclarar que no lo terminé de leer, lo dejé casi en la mitad. Para mi gusto es un libro muyyy lento, tanto que llega a aburrir. Odio los libros en el que todos los personajes se dan cuenta de algo excepto los protagonistas. Me encantan los libros de esta temática pero este me defraudó.
Tina Denson
Jul 03, 2012 Tina Denson rated it did not like it
Sally....What happened?!?!?!? I have read and actually reread a few of your Naked sries and they are funny, orginal, and sexy. This is a dud. Boring storyline, boring hero, boring miss, ugh just boring, and WTF is up with the cat? SIGH oh well I won't be tuning in for the rest of the series there just wasn't enough here to tempt me to care about the rest of the cast.
Leslie
May 03, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok
Frivolous fun-- I just can't believe that all three Valentine brothers (not triplets) as well as their mother Venus were all born on Valentine's day.

Surprised to learn that Ned is a nickname for Edward. Does this mean that Ned Nickerson is really Edward Nickerson? Game changer...
Rie_dominique
Direkomendasikan buat orang-orang yang insomnia atau lagi ngumpulin bacaan dibulan puasa!

bingung siapa yang jadi tokoh utama di buku ini. apakah Duchess of love yang berusaha menjodohkan Ned dan Ellie, ataukah Ned dan Ellie yang dijodohkan oleh Duchess of Love???
Jenny
Jan 31, 2014 Jenny rated it it was ok
I'm just going to say that nobody says "Eek!" in real life, much less several times in a span of few days.
Andrea
Jul 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
Meh. Based on the title, I was very hopeful for a fun regency romp. Sadly, the hero and heroine were ridiculous. The constant inner, angsty monologues were tiresome.
Krissy
Aug 31, 2012 Krissy rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It was also very humorous. I was laughing out loud during a lot of it. The cat was hilarious. A very strong 4 stars :D
Madison Mega-Mara...: Duchess of Love (1 & 2) by Sally MacKenzie 1 2 Jul 28, 2014 02:07PM
Cover has a cute dog- is it in the book? 2 6 Jun 24, 2014 07:24PM
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • An Invitation to Sin
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • Loving Lady Marcia (House of Brady, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal
  • The Wild Marquis (The Burgundy Club, #1)
  • Only By Chance
  • Be My Prince (The Royal Trilogy, #1)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
Sally MacKenzie decided to become a writer in grade school when she read one of her stories to the class. Her classmates laughed and she was hooked. She sat down immediately to pen her first novel.

Well, not exactly.

The hooked part is right--cursed might be a better description--but the sitting down and writing part came later. Much later.

Sally eventually went on to college, majoring in English, a
More about Sally MacKenzie...

Duchess of Love (3 books)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love, #3)

“A man's pride needs careful handling.” 0 likes