Start by marking “Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls” as Want to Read:
Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (Batman Vol. II #1)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,023 Ratings  ·  1,230 Reviews
#1 New York Times Bestseller

The reader will experience the story from Batman’s viewpoint on pages 108-117.

Following his ground-breaking, critically acclaimed run on Detective Comics, writer Scott Snyder (American Vampire) alongside artist Greg Capullo (Spawn)begins a new era of The Dark Knight as with the relaunch ofBatman, asa part of DC Comics—The New 52!

After a series
Published May 9th 2012 by DC Comics (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Gbolahan Yes you would, but a little backstory wouldn't hurt. Like just to know who Damian Wayne is...
Batman, Vol. 1 by Scott SnyderWonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian AzzarelloBatgirl, Vol. 1 by Gail SimoneBatman, Vol. 2 by Scott SnyderAquaman, Vol. 1 by Geoff Johns
The New 52
1st out of 286 books — 292 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
7th out of 368 books — 676 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark
Apr 10, 2016 Kat Stark rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed

Third Book: Batman, Vol. 3
Fourth Book: Batman, Vol. 4

First time reading something out of order, not a fan of that...I don't think I'll do it anymore.

I have such mixed feelings with Snyder. He creates such a compelling Batman, who really is just a rich dude running around in a Bat suit. He's never overpowered in these comics and we've seen him beaten down more than anything. I find that to be a treat in itself. It's the gore lover in me that loves to see scenes of him as low as he could possibl
Alejandro
A solid beginning of New52's era of Batman

This edition collects issues from #1 to #7 of "Batman"

Writer: Scott Snyder

Illustrator: Greg Capullo

GOTHAM IS... A MYSTERY

Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your heart, they watch you in your bed, speak not a whispered word of them, or they'll send The Talon for your head.

You thought that you knew Batman and his world. You thought that you couldn't be s
Anne
Jan 08, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
It wasn't so awful that it deserved less than 3 stars, but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Capullo is a talented artist, but I'm not a fan of the chubby Batman. Ok, maybe chubby isn't the right word. Bobble-headish. You know, when they have the impossibly large head and chin? Anyway, not my cuppa. I'm sure others will love it.

Was the story any good? Ehhhhhhh. It wasn't bad, but I had some problems with the way Batman was portrayed.
He doesn't believe the legend about the Court of Ow
Dan Schwent
Jul 24, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2012, cool-covers
The Court of Owls, a long rumored secret society from Gotham's past, makes its presence known in the form of a knife wielding assassin called The Talon. Can Batman hope to defeat an enemy even more familiar with Gotham than him?

For my money, Scott Snyder can do no wrong. Batman: The Court of Owls is no exception. At first glance, the tale looks like a combination of Batman: The Black Glove and Batman: Gates of Gotham but it's a better story than either so far.

I really want to gush about this bu
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
In this thrilling adventure, Scott Snyder breathes new life into the Batman franchise by introducing a terrifying new enemy...The Court of Owls!

While waging his war against crime, Batman has seen many horrible things...
backbreak
deadrobin
awfulmovie

But all this time, an unseen horror has lurked in the shadows of Gotham City. For over a hundred years, rumors have been whispered about a secret society that rules the streets of Gotham, an omnipresent group known as the Court of Owls. Most people assume the tales to be mere camp
Kemper
Jul 16, 2012 Kemper rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2012
As part of the DC’s reboot of the month, the New 52, Bruce Wayne is back as Batman. I won’t be reading any other New 52 stuff because DC is addicted to retconning, and I don’t want to be an enabler. However, this one seems to have kept a big chunk of recent Bat-happenings. I am kind of oddly bummed that Dick Grayson isn’t Batman anymore, but that’s probably partially due to how much I loved Scott Snyder’s Black Mirror story.

Anyhow, Batman goes up against a secret society called the Court of Owls
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
I enjoyed this. Batman discovers there is a conspiracy afoot involving a super-secret group that has been around for hundreds of years called The Court of Owls.

They've sent a seemingly unstoppable dude after him called the Talon.

I'm all about creepy secret societies, so this Court of Owls thing worked for me. Of course, Batman goes crazy and is tortured and gets all angsty (nothing really new there, right?).

Nice illustrations. Ends in a bit of a cliffhanger, but most of these things do.

Creepie
StoryTellerShannon

The New 52 reboots Batman as the capable Caped Crusader but this time around he has some blind spots in thinking he knows everything there is to know about Gotham City.

Enter the urban legend of the Court of Owls. Batman doesn't believe they exist (because he couldn't find any indication of them when he was an investigator boy so talk about a blind spot) and ignores the talk until the urban legend begins to reveal itself as it targets Batman.

“Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time
Dirk Grobbelaar
I haven’t read all the New 52 titles (who has the time these days to read everything they’d really like to?), but so far I’ve been fairly impressed. There have been numerous reboots and retcons in the DC Universe, but the New 52 actually does feel like a fresh start and not just another attempt to cash in on the resurging popularity of comic culture.

There are quite a few New 52 Batman titles, and Batman #1 kicks off the Court of Owls arc. It’s a sinister and atmospheric tale about secrets, cons
Eric
Jun 28, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of graphic novels and/or Batman
I was blown away by this graphic novel, which collects the first seven issues of "The New 52" reinterpretation of Batman. The hardcover book and dust jacket are beautiful, the artwork is gorgeous, and the storyline, which introduces The Court of Owls -- a new, worthy nemesis for Batman -- is enthralling. It is easily on par with the beginnings of Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Hush, which are my two favorite Batman arcs. I cannot wait for Volume 2 to see where this is going.
Bookwraiths
Nov 20, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths

I’m not a Batman aficionado. Sure, I’ve followed the Dark Knight a few times in my life, loved his role in the different Justice League books, but he hasn’t ever been my favorite super-hero.

Why? Tough question. Not exactly sure, really. It might be too much Wayne angst. Could be that Bat’s arrogant infallibility wears me out quickly. Or it may be that I seldom feel like he is in real danger. I mean, the Caped Crusader always has something up his sleeve: secret
Jeff
Dec 11, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The New 52 Batman under the authorship of Scott Snyder comes into being fully formed. It opens with a punch out at Arkham Asylum featuring Batman against almost his entire rogue’s gallery. The Joker backs him up!?! Fashion note: Nice touch Riddler sporting a question mark shaped hairdo, but you’re still dull as dishwater.

In this volume, the male sidekicks are all here: Nightwing, Red Robin and Damian, with NIghtwing playing the role of resident Batcave wit. Batman also is able to access his comp
Stephen
May 15, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
description

The book starts with Batman inside Arkham Asylum as we get to see what a superior fighter and strategist Batman is, as he takes down some powerful villians.

We all know that Batman is the protector of Gotham City. He is the guardian that watches it at night, protects the innocent and is considered a legend to every citizen in Gotham or so we thought. Because now there is a legend that dates back to fourhoundered years the founding of Gotham they are called The Court Of Owls and there is little
Brittany
Mar 18, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing

***Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! I was late, but this one was all about the Batman!***

This was my first strictly Batman. I've read so many so far that have appearances from him, Inustice, Batgirl, Wonder Woman. But Reading about him in such a large role is very different. And I really dig the Bats.

My favorite part of this volume was the labyrinth. You see a side of Bruce that's vulnerable, crazy, intelligent, and flawed all at once. Also, the way that a few pages are laid out gives you a
Sesana
Sep 18, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
What did New 52 mean for Batman? Apparently... nothing. It seems like the Bat family books have picked up exactly where they left off. Where this will put them in the grand scheme of things come crossover time, I don't know. But let's forget that for the time being.

The Court of Owls is Gotham's mythical bogeyman association. As far as I know, it's a completely new innovation by Snyder, and it could open up a whole new line of storytelling for Batman. Bring on the paranoid conspiracies! Except t
Aria Stuck in Wonderland

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yep! I wanted more! Stupid, fucking cliffie.

Anyways... First of all, I would like to thank all the people who recommended this to me!

It was... a thrilling read. I'm happy to say that I genuinely enjoyed this!

After r
Chris_P
Jan 21, 2016 Chris_P rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I hadn't actually read any other Batman comic before. However, I can tell how different Snyder's approach is. This is a dark story that follows Batman deep into his battle against The Court of Owls, which is more or less a battle against less profound enemies. I liked how the side stories serve the main one in a way that's not so clear at the beginning but soon becomes essential. The ending leaves the story open as it continues in the second volume.
Kee the Ekairidium
I was happy about DC's decision to release The New 52 line-up particularly on how they were going to re-define Batman (and his other titles like Detective Comics, The Dark Knight and Batman and Robin). I have just gotten back into comics by 2009 because of The Sandman and some other minor Dark Horse titles, so I was excited to get into the superhero genre again, and start with my childhood hero foremost.

I bought this tradeback copy of Snyder-Capullo's The Court of Owls from the Manila Internati
Paul
I loved this first volume of Snyder's The New 52 Batman. The biggest reason I loved it is because I think that Greg Capullo as an artist is fantastic. This is the best comic art I've seen yet. Each and every page uses the entire page to tell the story, everything is contrasted perfectly. The story is detailed and there are a lot of "narration" parts to the story where we get information about Gotham and different things that make the story more in-depth. There is a good amount of tension in this ...more
Hayden
May 12, 2012 Hayden rated it it was amazing
Just finished the seventh issue (last that will be included in this TPB), and I am floored. Scott Snyder has been knocking it out of the park consistently for the past six months, scraping away at what might be one of the greatest Batman epics of all time. Considering he just amazed everyone last year with his Black Mirror storyline, it's easy to see why Snyder is easily considered one of the best (and my favorite) writers in the industry right now.

I feel the need to mention issue 5 of this in p
Krishna *needs a pink katana*

In keeping with our buddyread theme, I'd say this one is like pancakes...the first two are really great, but by the fifth one you're just wondering what you saw in it...

You know, for a long time, I never understood why Bats was called the greatest detective, because I've never actually seen him...detecting.
Never fear, Snyder is here to fix that problem!

If you were secretly hankering for a CSI crossover with psychedelic elements, you're in luck. If you weren't, well...there's a few badass actio
Sam Quixote
May 28, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
The book starts with the inmates of Arkham Asylum being set loose and I groaned, thinking Scott Snyder had fallen into using the template Batman story of the Dark Knight playing roundup with the villains but thankfully Snyder disposes of this tired trope quickly, almost as if he were winking “just kidding” before starting on something better. Bruce Wayne is threatened by an assassin called the Talon, a seemingly indestructible villain, used as hired muscle by a shadowy organisation called the Co ...more
Brad
Batman #1 --
What an opening sequence! Batman is in Arkham Asyloum putting down an escape of most of his Rogues Gallery, thinking about the answers to the question: "What is Gotham?" A sequence that highlights Snyder's greatest strength -- the embracing of symbolism in thought squares.

The battle rages until Batman's nemesis joins the fray, then the story is all about his allies. Three of the Robins, Commissioner Gordon, Barbara and others. The art is simply drawn (and faces seem too closely rela
Nicolo Yu
Mar 13, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
Back in 2011, DC relaunched their superhero line with the New 52 initiative; 52 new titles with new number one issues and continuity. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo got Batman and it has since become the linchpin of the entire line.

Snyder didn't set out to reinvent Batman as much as redefine the character. Snyder's Batman is just like previous incarnations: supremely confident in his abilities and reliant on his science and gadgets. A tad over-reliant sometimes, especially on empirical data.

From
David Schaafsma
Dec 05, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman
I wrote this is October 2013 when I first read it:

Snyder seems to be particularly good with Batman stories. This is better than most. The art work, story, dialogue, all work.

I re-read it so I can move through the series and liked it even more. Snyder adds gravitas and style to the Batman story and Capullo's art is great. They know this stuff and create a nee (New 52) challenge for the Batman, that a Court of Owls has always been underneath all the Bad stuff in Gotham. The is basically a set up v
Alistair
Jun 07, 2015 Alistair rated it it was amazing
This with volume 2 in mind is hands down the best Batman comic I've ever read!

Mirayda
Oct 23, 2015 Mirayda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5
Çok çabuk bitti yaa biri bana 2.cildi alsın :'(
Caitlin
Can't believe it took me this long to read this! It's not perfect but I LOVED it anyway.

After reading American Vampire and Black Mirror, I was already a rabid Scott Snyder fan. But now...let's just say Black Mirror finally has some competition for my favorite Batman story. I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see it start with the standard "everybody's breaking out of Arkham!" concept, but I love how that got turned on its head pretty damn fast. The basic premise here is Batman's dis
Emily
May 17, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
I really liked this! The story is interesting and it feels like there's actually potential for Batman to fail at several points (always a problem for superhero comics). The major themes here are great: Gotham's history and the Wayne legacy, Batman's relationships with his several Robins, and Batman as the only legend Gotham needs. Also, the Talon costume is awesome. I would wear it. Casually, to Chipotle.

I have two minor complaints. One is the art, which is very dark and is not my favorite style
Chris
Apr 19, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Scott Snyder has defined himself as a renowned Batman writer in a relatively short timespan. His four big storylines to date have all garnered huge critical acclaim and have been mostly well-received by fans, too. In the New 52 reboot it all started off with The Court Of Owls and after my first reading I jumped straight onto the Snyder bandwagon. I ordered City Of Owls, The Black Mirror (which shamefully I still haven't read) and got all kinds of excited for Joker's return in Death Of The Family ...more
  • Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill
  • Animal Man, Vol. 1: The Hunt
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Iron
  • Gotham Central, Book One: In the Line of Duty
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.
More about Scott Snyder...

Batman Vol. II (10 books)
  • Batman, Vol. 2: The City of Owls
  • Batman, Vol. 7: Endgame
  • Batman, Vol. 8: Superheavy
  • Batman, Vol. 9: Bloom
  • Batman, Vol. 10: Love Never Dies

“Beware The Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your hearth, they watch you in your bed speak not a whispered word of them or they'll send the Talon for your head.” 5 likes