Start by marking “Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls” as Want to Read:
Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (Batman Vol. II #1-7)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  23,582 ratings  ·  1,034 reviews
#1 New York Times Bestseller

The reader will experience the story from Batman’s viewpoint on pages 108-117.

Following his ground-breaking, critically acclaimed run on Detective Comics, writer Scott Snyder (American Vampire) alongside artist Greg Capullo (Spawn)begins a new era of The Dark Knight as with the relaunch ofBatman, asa part of DC Comics—The New 52!

After a series
Published May 9th 2012 by DC Comics (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Gbolahan Yes you would, but a little backstory wouldn't hurt. Like just to know who Damian Wayne is...
Batman, Vol. 1 by Scott SnyderWonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian AzzarelloBatgirl, Vol. 1 by Gail SimoneJustice League, Vol. 1 by Geoff JohnsBatwoman, Vol. 1 by J.H. Williams III
The New 52
1st out of 181 books — 263 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
8th out of 336 books — 566 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
A solid beginning of New52's era of Batman

This edition collects issues from #1 to #7 of "Batman"

Writer: Scott Snyder

Illustrator: Greg Capullo

GOTHAM IS... A MYSTERY

Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your heart, they watch you in your bed, speak not a whispered word of them, or they'll send The Talon for your head.

You thought that you knew Batman and his world. You thought that you couldn't be s
Anne
It wasn't so awful that it deserved less than 3 stars, but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Capullo is a talented artist, but I'm not a fan of the chubby Batman. Ok, maybe chubby isn't the right word. Bobble-headish. You know, when they have the impossibly large head and chin? Anyway, not my cuppa. I'm sure others will love it.

Was the story any good? Ehhhhhhh. It wasn't bad, but I had some problems with the way Batman was portrayed.
He doesn't believe the legend about the Court of Ow
Dan Schwent
The Court of Owls, a long rumored secret society from Gotham's past, makes its presence known in the form of a knife wielding assassin called The Talon. Can Batman hope to defeat an enemy even more familiar with Gotham than him?

For my money, Scott Snyder can do no wrong. Batman: The Court of Owls is no exception. At first glance, the tale looks like a combination of Batman: The Black Glove and Batman: Gates of Gotham but it's a better story than either so far.

I really want to gush about this bu
Kemper
As part of the DC’s reboot of the month, the New 52, Bruce Wayne is back as Batman. I won’t be reading any other New 52 stuff because DC is addicted to retconning, and I don’t want to be an enabler. However, this one seems to have kept a big chunk of recent Bat-happenings. I am kind of oddly bummed that Dick Grayson isn’t Batman anymore, but that’s probably partially due to how much I loved Scott Snyder’s Black Mirror story.

Anyhow, Batman goes up against a secret society called the Court of Owls
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
In this thrilling adventure, Scott Snyder breathes new life into the Batman franchise by introducing a terrifying new enemy...The Court of Owls!

While waging his war against crime, Batman has seen many horrible things...
backbreak
deadrobin
awfulmovie

But all this time, an unseen horror has lurked in the shadows of Gotham City. For over a hundred years, rumors have been whispered about a secret society that rules the streets of Gotham, an omnipresent group known as the Court of Owls. Most people assume the tales to be mere camp
StoryTellerShannon

The New 52 reboots Batman as the capable Caped Crusader but this time around he has some blind spots in thinking he knows everything there is to know about Gotham City.

Enter the urban legend of the Court of Owls. Batman doesn't believe they exist (because he couldn't find any indication of them when he was an investigator boy so talk about a blind spot) and ignores the talk until the urban legend begins to reveal itself as it targets Batman.

“Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time
Dirk Grobbelaar
I haven’t read all the New 52 titles (who has the time these days to read everything they’d really like to?), but so far I’ve been fairly impressed. There have been numerous reboots and retcons in the DC Universe, but the New 52 actually does feel like a fresh start and not just another attempt to cash in on the resurging popularity of comic culture.

There are quite a few New 52 Batman titles, and Batman #1 kicks off the Court of Owls arc. It’s a sinister and atmospheric tale about secrets, cons
Eric
Jun 28, 2012 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of graphic novels and/or Batman
I was blown away by this graphic novel, which collects the first seven issues of "The New 52" reinterpretation of Batman. The hardcover book and dust jacket are beautiful, the artwork is gorgeous, and the storyline, which introduces The Court of Owls -- a new, worthy nemesis for Batman -- is enthralling. It is easily on par with the beginnings of Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Hush, which are my two favorite Batman arcs. I cannot wait for Volume 2 to see where this is going.
Brittany

***Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! I was late, but this one was all about the Batman!***

This was my first strictly Batman. I've read so many so far that have appearances from him, Inustice, Batgirl, Wonder Woman. But Reading about him in such a large role is very different. And I really dig the Bats.

My favorite part of this volume was the labyrinth. You see a side of Bruce that's vulnerable, crazy, intelligent, and flawed all at once. Also, the way that a few pages are laid out gives you a
Jeff
The New 52 Batman under the authorship of Scott Snyder comes into being fully formed. It opens with a punch out at Arkham Asylum featuring Batman against almost his entire rogue’s gallery. The Joker backs him up!?! Fashion note: Nice touch Riddler sporting a question mark shaped hairdo, but you’re still dull as dishwater.

In this volume, the male sidekicks are all here: Nightwing, Red Robin and Damian, with NIghtwing playing the role of resident Batcave wit. Batman also is able to access his comp
Sesana
What did New 52 mean for Batman? Apparently... nothing. It seems like the Bat family books have picked up exactly where they left off. Where this will put them in the grand scheme of things come crossover time, I don't know. But let's forget that for the time being.

The Court of Owls is Gotham's mythical bogeyman association. As far as I know, it's a completely new innovation by Snyder, and it could open up a whole new line of storytelling for Batman. Bring on the paranoid conspiracies! Except t
Bookwraiths
There are always things I don't love in a story, even a good narrative, and this comic collection is not an exception. But it didn't matter, because the plot held my attention until the end. Can't wait to read the next book!
Hayden
Just finished the seventh issue (last that will be included in this TPB), and I am floored. Scott Snyder has been knocking it out of the park consistently for the past six months, scraping away at what might be one of the greatest Batman epics of all time. Considering he just amazed everyone last year with his Black Mirror storyline, it's easy to see why Snyder is easily considered one of the best (and my favorite) writers in the industry right now.

I feel the need to mention issue 5 of this in p
Kee the Ekairidium
I was happy about DC's decision to release The New 52 line-up particularly on how they were going to re-define Batman (and his other titles like Detective Comics, The Dark Knight and Batman and Robin). I have just gotten back into comics by 2009 because of The Sandman and some other minor Dark Horse titles, so I was excited to get into the superhero genre again, and start with my childhood hero foremost.

I bought this tradeback copy of Snyder-Capullo's The Court of Owls from the Manila Internati
Stephen
description

The book starts with Batman inside Arkham Asylum as we get to see what a superior fighter and strategist Batman is, as he takes down some powerful villians.

We all know that Batman is the protector of Gotham City. He is the guardian that watches it at night, protects the innocent and is considered a legend to every citizen in Gotham or so we thought. Because now there is a legend that dates back to fourhoundered years the founding of Gotham they are called The Court Of Owls and there is little
Brad
Batman #1 --
What an opening sequence! Batman is in Arkham Asyloum putting down an escape of most of his Rogues Gallery, thinking about the answers to the question: "What is Gotham?" A sequence that highlights Snyder's greatest strength -- the embracing of symbolism in thought squares.

The battle rages until Batman's nemesis joins the fray, then the story is all about his allies. Three of the Robins, Commissioner Gordon, Barbara and others. The art is simply drawn (and faces seem too closely rela
Mirayda
Çok çabuk bitti yaa biri bana 2.cildi alsın :'(
Alistair
This with volume 2 in mind is hands down the best Batman comic I've ever read!

J.M.
I've been anticipating reading BATMAN from DC's "The New 52" launch, and I had to keep myself more than once from buying the individual issues as I wanted to "digest" several issues in the collected format. From what I'd heard from other readers (who were reading the issues as they hit the stores month-to-month), and also from following the writer and artist on Facebook, it appeared Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo were really kicking butt with the re-launch of Batman. I have to say the hardcover m ...more
Sam Quixote
The book starts with the inmates of Arkham Asylum being set loose and I groaned, thinking Scott Snyder had fallen into using the template Batman story of the Dark Knight playing roundup with the villains but thankfully Snyder disposes of this tired trope quickly, almost as if he were winking “just kidding” before starting on something better. Bruce Wayne is threatened by an assassin called the Talon, a seemingly indestructible villain, used as hired muscle by a shadowy organisation called the Co ...more
Caitlin
Can't believe it took me this long to read this! It's not perfect but I LOVED it anyway.

After reading American Vampire and Black Mirror, I was already a rabid Scott Snyder fan. But now...let's just say Black Mirror finally has some competition for my favorite Batman story. I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see it start with the standard "everybody's breaking out of Arkham!" concept, but I love how that got turned on its head pretty damn fast. The basic premise here is Batman's dis
Joseph Rice
This review is chock full of SPOILERS!!!!

When I first read this collection as monthlies, I was still under the spell of Scott Snyder. Not long after his Black Mirror collection for Detective Comics, I really thought that Snyder was going to be “the” writer of Batman of the current age of comics. I devoured the monthly title, but there seemed to be something off. I shrugged it away, but soon dropped the book around issue 12 or so.

I always get the impression that Snyder is going for the shock, the
Chris
Scott Snyder has defined himself as a renowned Batman writer in a relatively short timespan. His four big storylines to date have all garnered huge critical acclaim and have been mostly well-received by fans, too. In the New 52 reboot it all started off with The Court Of Owls and after my first reading I jumped straight onto the Snyder bandwagon. I ordered City Of Owls, The Black Mirror (which shamefully I still haven't read) and got all kinds of excited for Joker's return in Death Of The Family ...more
Kurt
Jan 21, 2013 Kurt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
Ugh. This is a mainstream DC superhero comic, part of the New 52 relaunch, with very little clarity on what the backstory is supposed to be in the new version of the DCU.. and I loved it despite my best efforts. I mean, I felt nice and superior when the collection started out with a silly group fight in Arkham Asylum, with Batman taking on almost everyone in his rogues' gallery, with no information for a new reader to understand how the characters fit into the new world.. but the important chara ...more
Jonathan

I often seem to do some things in the roundabout fashion. Like watching the second season of a televison series before the first or reading the second book in an ongoing story before the first. Fortunately, the new rebooted Batman stories have enough quality to them to stand alone as strong graphic novels even when read in the wrong order.

It is clearly one of the finest Batman stories written in the past few years, with all the creepiness, darkness and predatory aspects that make a good Batman s
Leo
3.5/4

Man, am I sick of owls...

I kind of expected more from this. I mean, you only hear wonders from everyone, you expect something great. It was just ok. Batman is not really my cup of tea, he is always so dark and intense and everything is so dramatic that I think he could do with a bit of humor. Being as this is a reboot, I think it works fairly ok to show new readers who is who. I don't know much about the backstory of Grayson but I don't really need to know more right now. Plus, this a Batma
Debbie
Wow my first venture into Batman and that was pretty intense. Great artwork. Great story.
Jesse A
Now this is a Batman I can get behind. Great art and great twisting story. In my mind this is (almost) exactly how Batman should be done!
Timothy Stone
In DC Comics, there are many alternate realities (together called the “multiverse), one of which has the heroes of the main DC universe as the villains, and the villains as the heroes. In this universe (Earth-2, I believe), the Batman type of villain is called “Owlman”, because he is Batman's polar opposite, and it's a fun play on the idea that in nature owls hunt bats.

In the rebooted DC Universe of the “new 52”, the writers of Batman took the central idea of the owls hunting bats concept to a
Mike
Decent writing, but more than a few implausible plot details makes it hard to take this seriously and really immerse myself. Dick gets implicated in a cliffhanger, then has a convenient-yet-convoluted alibi - at which point Batman simply drops it? Red herring - boring. Bruce falls to his death, only to survive a 30-storey fall in some totally-improbable and poorly-drawn dust-up with his would-be killer? Lazy writing, and bad art.

The middle sequence/climax is pretty attention-grabbing: Batman has
  • Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Batman: Hush
  • Batman: Noël
  • Batwing, Vol. 1: The Lost Kingdom
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.
More about Scott Snyder...

Batman Vol. II (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Batman #1
  • Batman #6
  • Batman #7
  • Batman #8
  • Batman #9
  • Batman #10 (New 52 Batman, #10)
American Vampire, Vol. 1 Batman: The Black Mirror Batman, Vol. 2: The City of Owls American Vampire, Vol. 2 American Vampire, Vol. 3

“Beware The Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your hearth, they watch you in your bed speak not a whispered word of them or they'll send the Talon for your head.” 2 likes