Start by marking “The Fox and The Hound” as Want to Read:
The Fox and The Hound

The Fox and The Hound

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Published February 1st 1967 by Pocket Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Fox and The Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fox and The Hound

Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
424th out of 821 books — 4,667 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensBambi by Felix SaltenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith
Books that Disney made into movies
11th out of 80 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Luc
This is the book the disney classic is based on but you got to hand to the House of Mouse, no one mangles a story like they do in the name of family entertainement.

Whereas the film is a story of friendship that survives depite circumstances in a way almost reminiscent of Romeo and Juliette, the book is more about the daily struggles of a fox and a dog (and up to a certain point the Master) in a world that changes around their ears in which they don't quite fit.

I only recall the Dysney movie very
James Steele
The life of a red fox over the years as he survives hunters, trappings, hounds, human encroachment, drought, and the hound who’s hunting him.

The story takes places from two points of view: Tod the fox, and Copper the hound. The hunted and the hunter. The book starts with the hunting dog, Copper, as he and his master are enlisted by the police to find a missing man. Copper doesn’t know this, only that he is to track a scent. At the end is a dead body, and the scent of bear. Shortly afterwards, Co
Amanda Wheet
And we're into the 1980s!! Approaching the Renaissance!! What's that you say...I have to sit through The Black Cauldron before that? Oh.

As a kid, The Fox and the Hound was one of my favorite movies. There are moments in that movie that if you don't cry at, you're probably not human and should get yourself checked. I knew going into the book that at the root of the story we have two similar animals, with different perspectives...but I thought they were supposed to be friends? Tod and Copper, budd
Drew Graham
A skilled hound relentlessly hunts. A clever fox nimbly eludes him. They spend their lives in an endless game of cat-and-mouse, each learning from the other's mistakes. Tod the fox is sly and learns quickly, and having been raised by man knows his tricks. But Copper the hound and his master continually have new tricks up their sleeve, and it's only a matter of time before Tod and his family can no longer outrun a pack of bloodhounds.

Even compared to all my other Disney source material read-throu
Sparky Lurkdragon
Jun 23, 2012 Sparky Lurkdragon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers, xenofiction enthusiats
Shelves: xenofiction
One of my all-time favourite works of xenofiction. No mere talking animals musical is this: the book really explores what it would actually be like to be a beast of smell and sound over the beasts of sight us humans are. Gripping, exciting, beautiful, and sad. Damn shame it's out of print - snap it up if you can.

(Date finished a rough guess; I've read it several times since.)
Stephanie A.
Did you know this was a book? Me neither! It bears very little resemblance to the Disney movie (which is also one of my all-time favorites - it's actually kind of funny seeing how they pieced various parts together out of order/context to create said film). But even so, it is its own kind of incredible animal story, and fully deserving of its award.
Favolaetavola
Written in the point of view of a foxhound. The first book I have ever read in an animal's pov. There are a few pages of a wolf's pov in "Ordinary Wolves" by Seth Kantner. So vivid that even after putting the book down, I tended to see things, notice them, at a dog's height. One of the first books I read in English. Profound.
Skyler Wixom
This book follows the point of view of both the fox, Todd, and the hound, Copper. In a town that is transitioning from a hunting/farming community to a more industrial town, the two, though sworn enemies, each have to adjust their lifestyle continually while playing cat and mouse.

While this is from the perspective of animals, there is no fictional element to the way the animals act; thus, the reader gets a look inside the mind of a hunting dog and a wild fox as they really could think and act. M
Ringman Roth
Having been one of the few people today to have not seen the Disney adaptation, I went in to this with no bias. This book is a difficult one to read. While I really enjoyed getting inside the animal's head, in such a way that only a book can do, it was extremely hard to suffer through the dread, dark, and depressing content of the novel. It is not a happy story, and I have no clue how the Disney version could possibly sell this off as a children's story without changing numerous portions of it. ...more
Faith
I enjoyed the "chase" aspect of this book with the dog hunting the fox and the fox outrunning them all. I also liked the way Copper viewed humans and certain objects in his world, and how Tod viewed them as well. However, I feel a little partial to the Disney version. It was a little sappy, but also had a very strong message. I also thought that in the book, making Chief Copper's enemy didn't really spur Copper to hunt. He hunted because the Master wanted to, and he was fine with that. I just fe ...more
Raymond
A great read. It's been years since I've read it.
Caity
“The Fox and The Hound” by Daniel P. Mannix gets 5 stars and a Roman Emperor style thumbs up.

This is the book that the Disney film of the same name was based on. However; the similarities just about end at there being a fox called Tod, a dog called Copper, and a hunter trying to kill the fox.

In the Disney film, Tod and Copper are best friends but eventually realise they come from different worlds and go their separate ways. In the book, there is no such friendship. It is a story of a hunter and
Forrest Marchinton
I read it in grade school, and it stuck with me. The book is written from the perspective of both the fox and the hound, and was pretty well-done. In the latter part of the book, the world around them was changed by "Progress", again described through the animals' senses. I could relate to this story; I've foxhunted many years ago, and have since watched the foxhunters become old men and few, and seen the fields and woods sprout houses and stores full of city folk with no sense of the land they ...more
Kristy

This book was well written. It was dark, violent and full of imagery. I loved that this was from the pov of the fox and the hound. Almost no dialogue in the story which was unique. I liked how the animals were written as animals and not personified as mini humans.
Keith
"The Fox and The Hound" is a book I read in the late 1960's. The story does a good job at depicting an animal point of view. It takes you from when they are young and the reader sees them age.
Lucy Lyon
Ignore the Disney story of friendship, this is about killing a fox, and yes, the fox is skinned and hung on a wall. This book is brutal and fascinating in its portrayal of hunting and environmental changes.
Michelle E.
Mar 31, 2014 Michelle E. marked it as maybe
I've wanted to read this book a long time, ever since I discovered the Disney movie was based on a real book, because, as you may or may not know, I love books about animals (animal POV). I read the synopsis on Wikipedia, and now I know this book is not easy reading; Wikipedia's summary alone nearly ripped my heart out. A book I can only read when I'm ready for heartbreak. That's Disney for you (which I still love, BTW).
Very different from the movie. There was some good parts but not enough to outweigh the bad. The author was too descriptive of fox's mating patterns and other things. I thought it might be similar to the story of Bambi and I really enjoyed that novel but this had very little in common, too much dying for me. And the gist of it was just a dog chasing a fox.
Tasha Riojas
Absolutely amazing! Colored one's heart to see from a different perspective. Compassionate and realistic. As a human who loves all creatures, this book was tear-jerking at times and "tickling the funny bone" at others. I rate this book above "Black Beauty" and right in line with "Watership Down", both tales told from a first-"person" perspective!
Kfhoz
As others have said, this is no Disney story.

The knowledge that the author has, and passes along, about the ways of foxes and hunting hounds makes you feel that you are out in the woods on a winter day with them. This takes you to a real nature, where there are many joys, and many difficulties.

I could not put the book down.
Bookfinder
I don't care for the typical graphic novel, but this is such a cute book and the artwork is beautiful (Disney). I don't recall if I ever watched the whole movie, but this little book conveys so much personality for each of the characters that it is just a pleasure to page through, even as an adult.
Ashley Grant
This was an interesting take on seeing the world from an animalistic perspective. Written a while ago, during a time when animals were believed to be completely colorblind, it was fascinating to read. Definitely a lot more 'natural' than the Disney film with so many, many deaths.
What's Dat
Such an unbelievably great and sad book. Moving in many ways. I braced myself for a sad ending but I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did. Very well written. Also, if you own this book, hang on to it because it is rare and worth a lot of money.
Ali
Yeah, pretty good... NOTHING like the movie... you know, basically the only thing that the book and the movie had in common were the names of the characters.
Mar
A page-turner. Out of print. Check your library system. Some large, old libraries have it.
Turnerpike
This is really good I enjoyed it all the way through
Sherry
Read this to my daughters.
Sam I
Sam I marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Белый Бим Черное ухо
  • Haunt Fox
  • The Fox and the Hound [24 Page Read-Along Book and Record]
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Dog with Golden Eyes
  • Child of the Wolves
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Wishbone Classics, #8)
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • The Brave Little Toaster
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • How Do You Say Goodbye
  • Bambi's Children
  • Willard
  • Finding Jack
  • The Trouble with Tuck
Daniel Pratt Mannix IV was best known as an American author and journalist. His life was remarkably different from other writers of his generation. His career included times as a side show performer, magician, trainer of eagles and film maker.

The Grest Zadma was a stage name Mannix used as a magician. He also entertained as a sword swallower and fire eater in a traveling carnival sideshow. Magazi
More about Daniel P. Mannix...
Freaks The History of Torture (History Classics) The Hell Fire Club The Way of the Gladiator Memoirs of a Sword Swallower