The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,239 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In 1846 a small book entitled Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell appeared on the British literary scene. The three pseudonymous poets, the Bronte sisters, went on to unprecedented success with such novels as Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, and Jane Eyre, all published in the following year. As children, these English sisters had begun writing poems and stories about an...more
Published January 4th 1996 by Columbia University Press (first published 1923)

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
196th out of 1,313 books — 1,474 voters
The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonSonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningBest Poems of the Brontë Sisters by Emily BrontëAurora Leigh and Other Poems by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningGoblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti
19th Century Women Poets
6th out of 44 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Come, Walk With Me

Come, walk with me,
There's only thee
To bless my spirit now -
We used to love on winter nights
To wander through the snow;
Can we not woo back old delights?
The clouds rush dark and wild
They fleck with shade our mountain heights
The same as long ago
And on the horizon rest at last
In looming masses piled;
While moonbeams flash and fly so fast
We scarce can say they smiled -

Come walk with me, come walk with me;
We were not once so few
But Death has stolen our company
As sunshine stea...more
Helen Graham
I've never been a fan of "Wuthering Heights", but I love Emily's poetry. She's one of my most favourite poets. I was so inspired by her poems that I wrote the verses of my own, and I find them... well, promising.

Of long ago there is the world
That always speak to me -
The prose of Anne and verse of Emily.
Like see-breeze fresh, like gull's scream bold

Two novels. One thunder-blast, the earth of pain,
Wild winter rose in bloom,
Another is a sun-ray, shining through the gloom.
And poems - like a strea

Jason Gignac
A few months ago, I got a meme in Facebook, asking me to talk about my favorite books. The experience was a very dark, painful afternoon of thinking about books. Books are too much like friends for my relationships to be terribly healthy with - God knows I mistreat my friends. But in that meme, I wrote about Emily Dickinson, about how it was difficult to seperate the woman from the poetry. I have this sort of purist mind that tells me that's asign of weakness, that I'm conflating good writing wi...more
Sandy Lender
I will begin by saying Anne was the truest poet of the three "Bell" sisters, but Emily did a fine and haunting job of setting a scene with her verse. I enjoyed this book immensely. I recommend it to anyone sitting down to a chilly, grey afternoon with a cup of hot cocoa.

It's fabulous!

She YEARNED for home when she wasn't there...and begged it to hold her when she was. Emily Bronte was amazing.

We have to put our best guess for a date that we first read these books. I received it as a Christmas pre...more
Eileen
Oct 06, 2007 Eileen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Carrie Riley
"No coward soul is mine, no trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere..."
I will tell the truth, I am not the world’s greatest fan of poetry. While I appreciate a good poem, and especially loved learning about them in school, I don’t make a habit of picking up books of poetry to read. I enjoyed reading Emily’s poems, but I am unable to offer a great critical review of them myself.

While the poems were enjoyable and beautiful to read, the most fascinating part of the book to me was the Introduction by C.W. Hatfield. In this introduction, Hatfield discusses his process o...more
Carol
One of my favorites --

No coward soul of mine
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere;
I see Heaven glories shine
And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear.

O God within my breast,
Almighty ever-present Deity;
Life, that in me hast rest
As I -- Undying Life -- have power in Thee.

Vain are the thousand creeds
That move men's hearts -- unutterably vain,
Worthless as withered weeds
Or idlest froth amid the boundless main --

To waken doubt in one
Holding so fast by thy infinity
So surely anchored on
The s...more
Meridith Whitt
I really love poetry especially old time english poets. In this book it has so many different poems I love it. I really like how the poems are deep and have very unique ryhm to them. I would recommend this book to be taught in highschool classes and have the kids write what they got to interrpert in the poems.
Brendan
Some of these were beauties. Quite dark. I'm sure I've read stuff which said that the Bronte sisters kept to themselves their whole lives and never got any. Reading these Emily comes across as a person with life experience as much as the rest of us.
Joseph
Emily Brontë's poetry was very enjoyable to read. Some poems are joyful, others deep, and still more melancholy. They all seem to have a little music to them, which is quite clever. As a fan of Wuthering Heights, I especially liked this.
Melinda Jane Harrison
Emily Bronte is such a mystery. How could she write such fierce fiction. There is power and deep longing in her poetry especially her Gondal poems which she used for Wuthering Heights. I want to write a story about that! Love her.
Valerie
I have a reference copy of this, because I'm often searching for a quote. It could be better indexed, but it's a creditable collection, especially given the difficulties of collating scattered manuscripts.
Allison
She is one of my favorite poets. She was young when she died, and sheltered in life, but what an imagination and talent she had!
Truly moving, filled with youth, life and imaginings. Emily's morose and talented art is unique and striking.
Laurel
Emily is a poet
Charlotte understands art but is to dominant
Emily is a painter
Anne is not forgotten
Yasmeen
I like her poems, they are great and also her Novel of "Wuthering Heights" is Fantastic
Carol
Her poems deal with death and wanting to die. Not very uplifting.
Maggie
Emily's poems, not Charlotte. Stupid Amazon is dumb.
Alicia
Jun 30, 2008 Alicia added it
the world does not begin and end with Heathcliff
London Nance
The Shelf: Accepted until further notice.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Phil Syphe
Phil Syphe is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Elodie
Elodie marked it as to-read
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Omkar Jadhav
Omkar Jadhav marked it as to-read
Maria
  • Tales of Angria
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life
  • The Temple: The Poetry of George Herbert
  • The Complete Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Brontë Myth
  • Poems and Songs
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • The Brontës: A Life in Letters
  • The Best Poems of the English Language: From Chaucer Through Frost
  • The Life of Charlotte Brontë
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë...more
More about Emily Brontë...
Wuthering Heights Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre Wuthering Heights, Agnès Grey & Villette Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters Poems of Solitude

“Love is like the wild rose-briar; Friendship like the holly-tree. The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms, but which will bloom most constantly?” 70 likes
“The old church tower and garden wall
Are black with autumn rain
And dreary winds foreboding call
The darkness down again”