I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts: Drive-by Essays on American Dread, American Dreams

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From the cultural critic Wired called “provocative and cuttingly humorous” comes a viciously funny, joltingly insightful collection of drive-by critiques of contemporary America where chaos is the new normal. Exploring the darkest corners of the national psyche and the nethermost regions of the self—the gothic, the grotesque, and the carnivalesque—Mark Dery makes sense of...more
Published April 6th 2012 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts

Alexander
Remember when Gozer the Gozerian tells Venkman and the boys that the form of "the Destructor" will be determined by the first meme that pops into their noodle?

"So empty your heads! Don't think of anything!" Dr. Venkman exhorts.

In perhaps my favorite comic-philosophical scene from the '80s, the would-be Gozer-slayers attempt an on-the-fly Buddhist purge of the ego, fumigating their Cartesian theaters. I still remember the prickly chill in my 8 year-old gut at the thought of Peter, Ray, Egon, and...more
Supervert
I find it impossible to discuss Mark Dery's I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts in anything other than the first person. The book speaks so eloquently of its time that, uncannily, I can't help but feel it speaks of me. So many of my own interests and obsessions rise from its pages -- death, deviance, intellect. I recognize my iTunes library in Dery's tours de force on David Bowie and Lady Gaga. I recognize my bookshelf in Dery's essay on Amok Books, whose productions were once textbooks in the éducati...more
Kate Walker
"Voluptuously lustrous and uncannily lifelike," the antique mannequin on the cover of Mark Dery's latest essay collection, I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts, "glows, if not with life, with a robust undeath." Her skin is so perfect you could eat off the surface of it. Her eye, unbowed, is cracked and bruised, maybe from an injury sustained in the dumpster where they found her before bringing her back to present glory. Reading the book over the last week, she's had a special place on my pillow, an int...more
Mark Mikula
While browsing in Garrison Keillor's book store (Common Good Books in St. Paul), I came across this volume of contemporary essays and instantly knew I had found a riveting read. It's possible that other writers are producing this sort of material, but because I haven't plumbed the depths of metafilter or BoingBoing or neatorama or a hundred other cool websites out there, I'm not finding them. I was so glad to find these essays anthologized in a hard cover. Most had been published elsewhere, prim...more
Jason Pettus

To be clear, I rather liked a lot this newest book of essays by subversive Gladwellesque philosopher/columnist Mark Dery, which is actually the first work of his I've ever read, because of seeing a plethora of fantastic things about it online from places like Boing Boing and people like Warren Ellis; and s...more
Jack Goodstein
Transgressive cultural critic opines on everything from Lady Gaga to Santa Claus and necrophylia.
Virginia Bryant
A book the politics of which "stand foursquare against the faux-populist demagogues, brownshirt pundit...........And against the Stalinist though police of the left at its most inquisitional" this is a snappy and entertaining read by a well rounded intelligence, familiar with art, history and current events seen with an open though squinted eye. Fun.

About Madonna, fashion and Versace, "the boundary pushing edginess of couture" linked to "sexual perversions" and fashion as "the ultimate commodity...more
Ted
Ludovico D’Amore

The Ludovico Technique is a form of compulsory deprogramming featured in both the book and film A Clockwork Orange. It consists of forcing a patient to watch horribly graphic murders, rapes, and other severe brutality while under the influence of an addictive, nausea-causing drug. The therapy’s intent is to train the patient to reflexively respond to violent impulses, acts—even thoughts—by undergoing debilitating nausea, thereby discouraging antisocial behavior.

In the title seque...more
John
I loved this book. At one point, while reading the book’s second essay – “Gun Play: An American Tragedy in Three Acts” – I laughed so long and hard that I was sure my neighbor would call the cops. It was the laughter of a bitter cynic, you must understand. This is what they mean by “cuttingly humorous:” it’s only funny if you have the ability to laugh at the worst stupidity of your fellow man.

The first section opens with a pondering of zombies and what they mean to us now in post-econ-meltdown d...more
Frank Hestvik

This book is, much like its description, a carnival ride through a whole bunch of (relatively) topical subjects: on blogging, the nauseating[1] popularity of zombies in recent popular culture, the dark underbelly of the concept of IQ, "Holocaust" as a multi-billion industry, the disputed history of Santa, the (also nauseating[2]) 2012 eschatology fad, America's gun-obsession, American masculinity, and so on.

It's not a totally smooth ride, of course. I found most of the essays extremely informati...more
Esteban Brena
Mark Dery takes you on a walk through the weird side of North America. If you, like me, enjoy reading very articulate and highly intelligent pieces on Star Trek erotic fan fiction, Holocaust Museums, Decapitation fetichism, Jack Chick and his crazy religious tracts, the end of the world, the invisible literature of medical books, and the suicide note as a literary genre, then this is for you.
Adam
The "drive-by" description is apt. Dery doesn't get bogged down in deep analysis but instead serves as a sharp-tongued tour guide for some memorable curiosities and bizarre themes: hungry tourists stuffing their faces in an Auschwitz cafeteria, the subconscious reasons we're scared of teeth, the relationship between Santa and Satan, fan fiction, various fetishes, Facebook weirdness and lots more. He could stand to add a few new reference points - seriously, sir, step away from the Bowie albums a...more
Aretha
A really great read for anyone who wants to think about American cultures, subcultures, fringe cultures etc., in interesting (and sometimes bizarre!) ways. I love it when writers make explicit the politics of all cultural manifestations and expose the constructedness of our everyday realities and society at large.
Spencer
its a little bit jumbled and jivey. maybe its supposed to be like a poem, where the author just sort of throws out stuff and you sort of make "connections" between "ideas" in your "head". ? Its heady, and its crass, and hes just calling it like he sees it. . . or its just a bunch of pretentious garbage that looks like intellectual honesty because the subject matter and approach seem so "keepin it real". Reminds me of Jim Goad stuff, I guess I just dont have the intellectual stamina for it, (or i...more
Jason
I had hoped for deeper insight into the American psyche.
Bradley Somer
Because....
- Mark Dery is obviously having fun with the language and content and it is contagious.
- I agree with most of his assertions, which makes us both right.
- The span of topics is insightful, off-kilter and amusing... Hal the computer may be gay... A literary critique of suicide notes... and on and on.
- Even at his most self-masterbatory (playing the unapologetic vocabularian in the final essay), you can tell he's getting his kicks and it's funny.
- Bold, argumentative, confrontational and...more
Eric
Some good essays, some bad essays, some middling.

Overall they're largely fairly good but rather than getting the sense that the author is indeed exploring brave new territory heretofore uncharted is somewhat dulled by the whole "pop music was better in my day" essay which seems to be a prerequisite amongst every writer on Earth. Had Tolstoy a shelf of shellac recordings of his youth, I'm certain we'd get essays on Glinka is better than Klannikov.
Melinda
"Exploring the darkest corners of the national psyche and the nethermost regions of the self"? If the scariest stuff found within these cultural forbidden zones is a "is he or isn't he?" expose' of 2001's HAL, an anti-Lady Gaga rant, and a meditation on the lost souls on Facebook, I'd say the most unsettling thing about our national psyche is not its darkness or depth, but rather how painfully well-lit it is.
Stuart
Like any book of pop culture essays, some are bound to be more compelling than others according to the interests of the reader. In my case I was particularly drawn to the pieces on Twain and Bowie, and the wonderful "Jocko Homo," a brilliant piece on why American sports culture sucks balls. At his best, Dery is that rarest of two-legged unicorns, an American intellectual with a sense of humor.
Jaime
In this second decade of the 21st Century, I MUST NOT THINK BAD THOUGHTS is the book for me. A veritable cluster munition of commentary and erudite ranting. A series of illumination rounds lighting up disparate blasted patches of America's cultural landscape. War reporting from the front lines and back alleys of modernity.
Wolverina
Not as insightful or clever as I was hoping. The subtitle is somewhat misleading IMO.

Though individually as a series of news column style articles, quite fun? I was just hoping for a little more substance and engagement with the title.
Megan
Jul 07, 2012 Megan marked it as half-read-or-hibernating
Very occasionally picking this up and reading an essay or two. His style doesn't seem to be one I want to immerse myself in for very long, though all the pieces are interesting, and the essay on Lady Gaga is hilarious.
Jack
Dery is best when he is playing critic and most boring when he is guiding the reader through a sidestep history lesson. Only downside to his essays in anthology form is the occasional repeat reference.
Lulu
Highly recommended. Weirdness & perversity under a microscope.
Annie Kneemp
Annie Kneemp marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
I MUST NOT DISCUSS _BAD THOUGHTS_ 1 7 Mar 29, 2012 05:59PM
  • American Gangbang: A Love Story
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • A User's Guide to the Millennium: Essays and Reviews
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • The Big Rewind: A Memoir Brought to You by Pop Culture
  • Broken Piano for President
From http://www.markdery.com/author.html#s...

Mark Dery is a cultural critic. Bruce Sterling wrote, "He may be the best cultural critic alive." Roseanne Barr once told him, when he guested on her radio show, "I like your sense of humor. You're *dark*. We should have a dark-off."

Mark writes about media, the visual landscape, fringe trends, and unpopular culture. He is the author of The Pyrotechnic I...more
More about Mark Dery...
The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink England My England: Anglophilia Explained Escape Velocity: Cyberculture at the End of the Century All the Young Dudes: Why Glam Rock Matters Flame Wars: The Discourse of Cyberculture