Start by marking “Photography and Play” as Want to Read:
Photography and Play

Photography and Play

Photography and leisure go hand in hand. Cameras are part of our everyday lives, but we are never more likely to take a picture or to be photographed than when we are at play. As recreation and entertainment flourished in the nineteenth century, so too did the new medium of photography. Cameras became increasingly accessible to amateurs and were quickly deemed an indispens ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by J. Paul Getty Museum

To ask other readers questions about Photography and Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photography and Play

lethe
I loved this book. I don't agree with another reviewer that the selection of photographs is too random. It is necessarily limited, since they are all taken from the collection of the Getty Museum, but there are some very interesting and well-thought-out juxtapositions.

This must be my favourite of the bunch:

It is by David Octavius Hill (who also features in the image, on the right) and Robert Adamson and dates from the 1840s.

It never ceases to amaze me how modern and creative many of those photo
Zoe
Mar 04, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I'd hoped this would be a winner with the elderly people I work with, but I think the selection is too random, even muddled, to make sense: although the overall theme is "play," it isn't totally apparent by just looking through it. Still, I enjoyed discovering the glorious photo "A Pastoral" dated 1905 by Louis Fleckenstein, and one of my clients told me she enjoyed the whole book thoroughly.
Elizabeth Garcia
Elizabeth Garcia rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2014
Mariya
Mariya rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Carol Johnson
Carol Johnson rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Lysha
Lysha rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Amy Sherman
Amy Sherman marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2012
Jonathan Spendlove
Jonathan Spendlove marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2012
Joshlynn
Joshlynn marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014