Start by marking “Louise's Gamble (Louise Pearlie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Louise's Gamble (Louise Pearlie, #2)

Louise's Gamble (Louise Pearlie #2)

Young widow Louise Pearlie becomes embroiled in a perilous game of mafia bosses, Nazi spies and banished royalty in this wartime novel of suspense - 1942, Washington DC. Young widow Louise Pearlie is now a chief file clerk at the legendary OSS, the precursor to the CIA, and enjoying being an independent, working woman despite wartime privations. But a casual friendship s ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Severn House Publishers

Antoinette
Jul 08, 2012 Antoinette rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first, Louise's War. I have recommended this book to friends who enjoy historical mysteries and strong female characters. The characters continue to develop in a believable way. Love the historical detail and the complexity of the plot. Looking forward to the next volume in the series.
Susan
Jul 12, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Widowed Louise Pearlie is only a file clerk with the OSS, but when an Italian refugee she has befriended claims that she has valuable information, the agency is interested. Then Louise--and everyone else--learn that the poor, ill-clad woman is really a wealthy Countess, who has disguised herself. There's a lot of historical background--did you know that the Mafia cooperated with the US government to fight the Nazis (although their real grudge was against Mussolini, who expelled their group from ...more
Judith
Jun 18, 2012 Judith rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, a good story, such immediacy of the history had me feeling a part of the times. It was such a time of cultural changes of all sorts, but this is the sort of story historians do not tell as well. The story of Betty in jail, teaching Henry how to use the washing machine such a ring of truth. I had read about the Mafia connection before on the Italy side in the Billy Boyle books so it was particularly interesting to see the stateside part. Definitely recommend.
Paulatics
Jan 20, 2013 Paulatics rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have been a reader of Sarah Shaber since her first book. She is an intelligent writer with a keen sense of history.
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Jan 04, 2013 Bebe (Sarah) Brechner rated it really liked it
Enjoyable series set in DC during WWII. Louise is an ordinary file clerk who gets somewhat into the spying game. Very believable with less action and more ordinary, mundane activities than the usual - presenting a refreshing perspective with excellent details on life for a single woman in the 1940's.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, mystery
I love this series. The characters are interesting and likeable, and the mysteries themselves are not too simple or too gritty, but what I really like is the historical setting. This installment involved the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C. and highlighted issues of life in 1942 that I had never heard of before. I'm looking forward to the next Louise Pearlie mystery!
Sharon Larsen randall
Aug 08, 2012 Sharon Larsen randall rated it really liked it
Learned a bit of what it was like to live in Washington DC in 1942 during WWII. Enjoyed the story, the plot, and the ending!
Kathy
May 25, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for all books with a WWII theme. This one features the OSS on the Home Front, and the activities of Washington DC during the war years.
jgyweniverel
Apr 18, 2012 jgyweniverel marked it as to-read
Shelves: wish-list-book
Spies, mafia, what more could you want from this book. Sounds like a seat of your pants read.
Katie
Mar 12, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Another great cozy historical mystery from Sarah Shaber.
karen
Meh -- enjoyed the first "Louise" book enough, but don't believe this will necessarily be my new favorite series. Might read another if I'm feeling empty-headed enough someday.
Peggy
Another good book in the Louise Pearlie historical mystery series. A quick, enjoyable read. The series takes place in Washington D.C. during WWII. Louise is a 30 year old widow who works as a "file clerk" at the OSS which will eventually become the CIA. This episode finds Louise mixed up with an espionage case that involves the Mafia.

What I liked most: The author seems to have done extensive research into what it must have been like to live in Washington D.C. during WWII. Louise is a very likeab
Maricel Edwards
Jun 27, 2016 Maricel Edwards rated it it was ok
I think I'm only reading this series at this point because I'm a completist. And I borrowed them all from the library. And they're short (finished this one in two hours). Otherwise, it's really written rather simplistically and repetitively. I mean, how many times must Louise talk about her fish farm and not wanting to go back home to her dead-end family? Honestly! Not only does this make her seem infantile (she's thirty, for god's sake!) but it also actually makes her seem petulant and unsympat ...more
Sheila
Dec 16, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it
Louise Pearlie, a young widow, is working as a Chief filing clerk in D.C during WWII. She befriends Alessia, a young female refugee from Italy at a weekly knitting group. When her friend tells Louise she has valuable information the govt may be interested in, Louise's bosses are interested. Louise is sent on a crash course on spying. She is excited to be introduced into that role. However, when events change, Louise is left on her own to fend for herself. An interesting book, the second in this ...more
Karen
Jun 22, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Another nice entry into the WWII home front mystery series by Sarah R. Shaber. I've been a WWII history buff for many years but know very little about the home front miseries and rationing that went on. Along with learning more about this background, the behind-the-scenes dealings of almost everyone in Washington, D.C., during those days could be suspect. I'm enjoying reading about how this North Carolina girl left the fish farm and moved to the big city, getting into dangerous situations and ge ...more
Val Sanford
The series is picking up with this second book about the file clerk and sometimes spy Louise. The small detail, like the sugar bowl made available to the cop but not the other restaurant patrons, and the knitting circles working in the cold basements of a church or building in their great coats to save on fuel and electricity, bring home the sacrifices of those left behind in America to do their part for the war effort. The mystery is a little sad and not very compelling but the characters and t ...more
Sara
Apr 25, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This was such a fun read. In this one, Louise gets a bit of real spy training, has her own contact and potential asset, and gets a bit wrapped up with the Mafia. I REALLY did not like the ending, but it is fair and true to its time. I'm so thankful to be a woman in 2016 instead of 1942. There was no more mention of Louise's BFF and kids in Malta, which seemed strange since they were the focal point of the previous story, and Louise's landlady has a new last name. Poor editing, maybe. It didn't r ...more
Nancy
I have really enjoyed Sarah Shaber's Simon Shaw series. The Louise Pearlie series, with the backdrop of WWII have a lot of promise but both of the ones I read were somehow not quite as satisfying. That said, this book has all the elements that make a mystery worth liking--red herrings, some romantic tensions, and the backdrop of wartime with shifting alliances and characters with secret agendas.
Megan
Aug 13, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
I felt like this book was rushed? It had so much potential at the beginning (30 year old woman working in DC during WWII at a "secret" agency, befriends an Italian woman..., vague love interest, gets very involved as an agent, mafia involvement, spies, death, shopping, etc. ), and then the mystery was solved. It was a very quick read with only 192 pages! I wish it was a little bit longer. It left you hanging at the end. I can only assume there will be another book soon.
Dawna
Jun 23, 2015 Dawna rated it liked it
Because I was in the mood for a quick read, this was satisfying. Having previously read the first in this series, I was prepared for it to be a bit predictable & not exceptionally well written, but I like the main character & setting. It was fun to read about her next escapade as a novice spy in WWII era Washington D C.
Melissa Ennis
Some irritating anacronisms, such as Patsy Cline and Hank Williams on the radio during WW2. Click-y modern vocabulary creeps in.

BUT swell little vignettes, like shopping in Woodies. Or (another) consequence of VD for women. I'm going back in for the first volume, since Louise herself is a charmer.
Patricia Gulley
Feb 17, 2014 Patricia Gulley rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading, I so enjoy the adventures of Louise. A small town girl, who doesn't care for that small town, living with her parents and following the norms of the day heads off to be a government girl during WW2. This time Louise is a go-between. Great series. Fortunately there is another book on the horizon.
Alice
Dec 17, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Character is reasonably developed-- mystery is solved quickly and she doesn't hesitate in taking action.

Interesting and blunt information about the sexual attitudes and behavior of "loose" women and treatment of those who might have sexually transmitted diseases. to the time.
Calista
Jan 21, 2013 Calista rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I was put off a few times by words and phrases that were used incorrectly but the truth is I really don't care about any of the characters. No one was engaging and the mystery was thin, the ending rushed. I don't think I'll visit here again.
Laima
Apr 28, 2012 Laima marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads as a First Reads giveaway. Many thanks to author Sarah Shaber for sending me a signed copy. Review upon completion.
Joanna
Aug 21, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
I liked the first book in this series better than this one but will definitely read the next one and any others to come.
Sharon
Feb 20, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
I will continue this reading this series for a few reasons. The presence of a strong, female central character, the sense of the historical times, and a quick engaging read are some examples.
Cathy
Mar 19, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
Reminded me of a 1940 movie starring Bette Davis, BARBARA stanwick or Katherine Hepburn as the leading lady, u choose.
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
mari.patterson
mari.patterson rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cold Feet (Stella Lavender Mystery, #1)
  • The Conjurer
  • Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)
  • Cake Mixes Cookbook (Gooseberry Patch)
  • The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War, #9)
  • The Buzzard Table (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #18)
  • Soup and Bread Cookbook: Building Community One Pot at a Time
  • Blown Away
  • A Terrible Beauty (Lady Emily, #11)
  • The Heirloom Murders (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
Sarah Shaber is an award-winning mystery author from North Carolina. Her WWII historical mystery series begins with LOUISE'S WAR. It features young widow Louise Pearlie, a government girl who works for the Office of Strategic Services, the United States’ first spy agency.

Shaber is also the author of the Professor Simon Shaw mysteries, BLOOD TEST, and editor of TAR HEEL DEAD. Her first book, SIMON
More about Sarah R. Shaber...

Louise Pearlie (6 books)
  • Louise's War (Louise Pearlie, #1)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • Louise's Blunder (Louise Pearlie, #4)
  • Louise's Chance (Louise Pearlie #5)
  • Louise's Lies (Louise Pearlie, #6)