Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling

Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Shooters recounts the stories of athletes like Brock Lesnar and Gene LeBell, men who have lived their lives on the border between “works” and “shoots,” between the routines of the professional wrestling circuit and the legitimate confrontations that made their reputations. From catch wrestling masters Strangler Lewis and Billy Robinson to pro-wrestling icons like Frank Got...more
Published May 8th 2012 by ECW Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shooters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooters

Andrew Garvey
I really wanted to like this book but despite finding it a generally good summary of the subject there were just so many problems that I found it difficult to finish.

Things started badly with a ludicrous opening sentence assertion that it takes a second's thought to dismiss but the biggest issues were the poor editing, shoddy fact-checking and Snowden's sneering style.

Throw in regular baffling statements (Steve Williams' career "plagued" by drugs and AJPW having "extreme stunts and ultraviolen...more
Matthew Lippart
First of all, talk about bang for your buck- this book is frikkin huge!

I am a huge fan of the "old days" of professional wrestling, and this book is a must have for anyone who wants to know the origins of the sport. While I was familiar, at least on the surface, with many of the stories and people written about here, this book goes WAY deeper into things. I found myself learning a lot about the people who were there in the beginnings, the trailblazers who brought things to new heights, and the c...more
Scott
First off I'll give a quick disclaimer, I don't care for professional wrestling at all. I watched it in the late 80's early 90's but since then it hasn't held any interest for me. I got a copy of this book based on a review I saw on it on MMATorch.

This book gives a great look at the history of wrestling back in the days when some contests were real and there were a lot of promoters running their own smaller shows. Starting with the first big name pro wrestlers in the late 1800's the book takes a...more
Kris
Received Advanced Copy for free through Goodreads First Reads

I grew up watching wrestling. I even watched it as a newborn :) My grandfather would watch it and I always sat and watched it with him. Growing up in the 1980's I would spend most of the day on Saturday sitting with Grandpa watching wrestling.

This book is really interesting and really good. I learned things that I didn't know. It is interesting to read about wrestling in the 1800's.

I enjoyed reading about Ken Shamrock. I had not known...more
Ikeh
Exhaustively researched work about the history of professional wrestling and how that history relates to the birth mixed martial arts.

The structure of the book is easy to follow and coherent. Mr. Snowden covers the main staples of the subject matter (guys like "Strangler" Lewis and Lou Thesz) but also some of the more niche characters and toipics that educated laypeople that are merely proficient in the topic might not have been familiar with—"Bad News" Brown, WWF Brawl For All etc.)

And this is...more
Bennett
If you're one of those idiots who thinks MMA has nothing in common with professional wrestling, this book will set you straight.

"Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling" is basically the history of professional wrestling AS IT PERTAINS TO MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. As such, it's an invaluable resource both for pro wrestling history but even more so for MMA history.

So, yes, read this if you're a pro wrestling fan but ESPECIALLY if you're an MMA fan.
Oliver Bateman
A fabulously good treatment of the divergence of MMA from pro wrestling in the 1920s and its convergence in the late 1990s. As good a history of "hardmen in wrasslin'" as we'll ever likely see.
Albert
I very interesting read that covers wrestlers throught the history of pro wrestling. Recomended for anyone interested in wrestling or UFC/MMA.

First Reads giveaway receipient.
Mark Day
Mark Day marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tamaya
Tamaya marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Steven LaSalvia
Steven LaSalvia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Nate Gearhart
Nate Gearhart marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Bahart
Bahart marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jason Flanders
Jason Flanders is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2014
James McDaniel
James McDaniel marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Feb 01, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Bowie V.
Bowie V. marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Matt Suttle
Matt Suttle is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2013
James Miller
James Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Patrick Kay
Patrick Kay marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Michael Mcparland
Michael Mcparland marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jonathan Snowden quit his job as a lawyer after September 11, 2001, to join the United States Army. He trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu and the Army Combatives Program and fell in love with the UFC. He is a former radio DJ and television producer who worked for the White House Communications Agency in Washington, D.C. He currently works for the Department of Defense and is a Contributing Editor for...more
More about Jonathan Snowden...
Total MMA: Inside Ultimate Fighting The MMA Encyclopedia Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling Shooters The Mma Encyclopedia