Start by marking “Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling” as Want to Read:
Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling

Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Shooters recounts the stories of athletes like Brock Lesnar and Gene LeBell, men who have lived their lives on the border between “works” and “shoots,” between the routines of the professional wrestling circuit and the legitimate confrontations that made their reputations. From catch wrestling masters Strangler Lewis and Billy Robinson to pro-wrestling icons like Frank Got ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Shooters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooters

Andrew Garvey
Sep 24, 2014 Andrew Garvey rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I really wanted to like this book but despite finding it a generally good summary of the subject there were just so many problems that I found it difficult to finish.

Things started badly with a ludicrous opening sentence assertion that it takes a second's thought to dismiss but the biggest issues were the poor editing, shoddy fact-checking and Snowden's sneering style.

Throw in regular baffling statements (Steve Williams' career "plagued" by drugs and AJPW having "extreme stunts and ultraviolen
jersey9000
Jun 05, 2013 jersey9000 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wrestling
First of all, talk about bang for your buck- this book is frikkin huge!

I am a huge fan of the "old days" of professional wrestling, and this book is a must have for anyone who wants to know the origins of the sport. While I was familiar, at least on the surface, with many of the stories and people written about here, this book goes WAY deeper into things. I found myself learning a lot about the people who were there in the beginnings, the trailblazers who brought things to new heights, and the c
Bennett
Jan 16, 2014 Bennett rated it it was amazing
If you're one of those idiots who thinks MMA has nothing in common with professional wrestling, this book will set you straight.

"Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling" is basically the history of professional wrestling AS IT PERTAINS TO MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. As such, it's an invaluable resource both for pro wrestling history but even more so for MMA history.

So, yes, read this if you're a pro wrestling fan but ESPECIALLY if you're an MMA fan.
Oliver Bateman
Mar 09, 2014 Oliver Bateman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fabulously good treatment of the divergence of MMA from pro wrestling in the 1920s and its convergence in the late 1990s. As good a history of "hardmen in wrasslin'" as we'll ever likely see.
Brian Hemminger
Apr 04, 2016 Brian Hemminger rated it it was amazing
What is a shooter?

By definition, a “shoot” in professional wrestling is any unplanned, unscripted or real-life occurrence within a wrestling event. Basically, it’s when professional wrestling stops being fake and things start getting real. The shooters were men who were so tough that they could back up their scripted wrestling matches by beating the tar out of anyone who didn’t want to play along.

That’s what Jonathan Snowden’s book Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling is all abou
Artiom Karsiuk
Like anything Jonathan Snowden writes, this was an educational read, not a recreational one. And that is not meant as a sign of disrespect, but that's just how he writes: his books are "reports" devoid of analysis and offering little to no insider information. So the target readership is hardcore fans of professional wrestling and/or MMA - not your casual John Cena or Ronda Rousey fan.
Still, the book covers a very interesting topic and offers a lot of [dry and flavorless] information on the peop
Scott
Jul 07, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
First off I'll give a quick disclaimer, I don't care for professional wrestling at all. I watched it in the late 80's early 90's but since then it hasn't held any interest for me. I got a copy of this book based on a review I saw on it on MMATorch.

This book gives a great look at the history of wrestling back in the days when some contests were real and there were a lot of promoters running their own smaller shows. Starting with the first big name pro wrestlers in the late 1800's the book takes a
Kris
May 28, 2012 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received Advanced Copy for free through Goodreads First Reads

I grew up watching wrestling. I even watched it as a newborn :) My grandfather would watch it and I always sat and watched it with him. Growing up in the 1980's I would spend most of the day on Saturday sitting with Grandpa watching wrestling.

This book is really interesting and really good. I learned things that I didn't know. It is interesting to read about wrestling in the 1800's.

I enjoyed reading about Ken Shamrock. I had not known
Ikeh
Apr 18, 2013 Ikeh rated it it was amazing
Exhaustively researched work about the history of professional wrestling and how that history relates to the birth mixed martial arts.

The structure of the book is easy to follow and coherent. Mr. Snowden covers the main staples of the subject matter (guys like "Strangler" Lewis and Lou Thesz) but also some of the more niche characters and toipics that educated laypeople that are merely proficient in the topic might not have been familiar with—"Bad News" Brown, WWF Brawl For All etc.)

And this is
Shawn Winfield Smith
Mar 08, 2016 Shawn Winfield Smith rated it really liked it
Fantastic look at the toughest men in professional wrestling history. A beautiful insight into how modern professional wrestling came to be what it is. Must-read for any wrestling or combat sports fan.
Albert
I very interesting read that covers wrestlers throught the history of pro wrestling. Recomended for anyone interested in wrestling or UFC/MMA.

First Reads giveaway receipient.
Bunty
Bunty rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
Miles
Miles rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Howard Lubinger
Howard Lubinger is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Springboard
Springboard marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Mr Michael Lewis
Mr Michael Lewis rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Gabratta
Gabratta marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Taufiq Safdar
Taufiq Safdar marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Richard He
Richard He marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Djmacula
Djmacula rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Ed Garcia
Ed Garcia rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2015
John Szamosi
John Szamosi rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Andy Ryan
Andy Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
James Mason
James Mason rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
S T Chapman
S T Chapman rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Wes Andrews
Wes Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jonathan Snowden quit his job as a lawyer after September 11, 2001, to join the United States Army. He trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu and the Army Combatives Program and fell in love with the UFC. He is a former radio DJ and television producer who worked for the White House Communications Agency in Washington, D.C. He currently works for the Department of Defense and is a Contributing Editor for ...more
More about Jonathan Snowden...