Start by marking “Trains Go” as Want to Read:
Trains Go

Trains Go

"The big steam train goes, CHUGGA chugga chugga CHUGGA chugga chugga CHOO CHOOOOOOO!" The diesel train goes, "zooosh zooosh ZOOOOOOOOSH ding ding ding!" The American goes, "clang clang clang TOOT TOOT!" All aboard! Take a trip on eight noisy trains as they huff, puff, and toot-toot their way through this lively board book! Perfect for the young train enthusiast.
Board book, 16 pages
Published January 25th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trains Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trains Go

Julie
Jan 02, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing
The kids loved this book. Owen kept saying "ding ding ding." :)
Jim Erekson
Feb 24, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
So 'trains and trucks' should probably be its own genre of preschool book. I was wondering how this one could possibly be any different from David Crews' whole series. Not much. The impressionistic style is similar in many ways. But I did enjoy the presentation of lots of different kinds of trains. The double-entendre of 'go' for both motion and the noise something makes was fun. Unfortunately, the caboose page is obsolete. You'd have to go to an old-time train museum or ride a historical train ...more
Asho
Aug 28, 2014 Asho rated it really liked it
This is another book I picked up off the shelf at the library based on the appealing illustration on the cover. I like the child-like quality of the paintings, the bold colors, and the fact that the book has a long horizontal layout so that each train can "go" across two pages. It was fun to read, too. My toddler liked all of the train noises. I think it will be even more fun when he's old enough to participate in the noise-making.

Updated August 2014: We checked this out of the library again, th
Melanie
May 13, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Love this book. We have it on loan from the library. My son wants it read every day and night. Each page is a different type of train and the noise it makes. Love the words the author chooses, as well as the illustrator's designs and font choice. I enjoy reading as much my son likes having it read. Well, maybe he likes it a bit more. Definitely a must-read if you have a little reader who enjoys trains.
Mama Bibliosoph
Jan 15, 2017 Mama Bibliosoph rated it it was amazing
Steve Light has a whole series of books about different kinds of vehicles, but Trains Go is my favorite.

This beautiful book introduces you to 8 kinds of trains and their special sounds. The sounds are given with an artistic dash of onomatopoeia; Steve Light uses color, font choice, letter size, spelling, and other typograhical effects to create words on the page that somehow look like their sounds. I think those visual elements enhanced the interactive potential of the book for my son Luke, who
Melody Harmon
Jan 03, 2017 Melody Harmon rated it it was amazing
Great beginning reader for a child that loves trains!

I went to read the book to my son, and he ended up reading it to me. I was shocked! When I asked him how he memorized the book when I hadn't read it to him, and he told me he kept looking at the pages until he figured out how all the words sounded.

Great book.
William Luke
Nov 25, 2016 William Luke rated it really liked it
l
Richie Partington
Mar 10, 2012 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: TRAINS GO (board book) by Steve Light, Chronicle, January 2012, 16p., ISBN: 978-0-8118-7942-2

“Down by the station, early in the morning
Listen to the hissing of the big old gal.
See the diamond stoker warming up the smoker
Chug, chug, toot, toot
Clear the track!
--from a very old version found on Youtube by Ray Noble and his Orchestra

“I agree with you that they should have kept the train in, because children love to make the "choo-choo" noise.”
--one of my library school students writi
Tasha
Jan 06, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This board book celebrates the various sounds that trains make as they travel the rails. There is the
“Squeak Clang Ting Bing Bing Bing!” of the freight train. The streamliner makes a long “wooo wooo” sound in contrast. Mountain train noises are full of “trip trap” and “fuff puff.” The noises include toots, whistles, dings and of course a few choo choos too! This is a great pick for the smallest train enthusiasts.

Light’s illustrations are done in deep colors with plenty of strong black lines to
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: The illustrations and text - both in watercolor - are appealing not just to the eyes, but your ears, too. I really liked the mountain train going uphill and the real feel of elevation. The wide pages really lend themselves to a description of trains.

Adult Reader Reaction: This is so fun to read. It isn't just the kids / young listeners who get into the sound. The oblong size (wider than it is tall) really adds to the experience. It lets kids get the sense of an oversize bo
Lara
I found this book kind of...busy? I mean, it's a very simple concept, and it's a book that will almost definitely appeal to kids who already like trains, but I think it's unlikely to become a real favorite for most. I can't quite put my finger on what detracted from it for me, other than maybe the font or the color scheme. But something about it felt like too much, while at the same time feeling like too little, if that makes any sense at all. Eh, it probably doesn't.
Vivian
Nov 30, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We read through this board book once with our story time pre-school crowd and then invited them all to stand up, as we read through it again, adding actions this time.

We marched and clapped and jumped up and down and spun around and bent left and right as we turned the pages, repeated the sounds, and added whatever action came to mind. Then we all sat back down, wiggles gone, and ready for the next story.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
TRAINS GO is a fun board book for young train fans. The artwork is abstract and colorful, and the text features fun sounds that kids will be eager to 'help you read': Clang, ting, bing, bing, bing!

What I liked is that the pages are really thick and sturdy, the sort that tend to hold up well to 'the abuse' of little hands. Being slick, the pages are also drool resistant :]

Pam T~
mom/#kidlit reader
Kelsey
Aug 26, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Age: Baby-Toddler

Steve Light's series of board books are perfect in all the right ways. Their abnormal, rectangular size catch kids' eyes and allow for a long page spread of movement for each vehicle. Light captures sound effects that encourage fun and play when reading the story. And the pictures are not too busy, but will allow for multiple reads for older infants.
Robin
Sep 10, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My niece Payton loves this book! Picked it up from the library. I had no idea how much she would love it, and enjoy making the sounds as I read it.

We returned it to the library this last Monday, but I definitely think it may be a book I need to buy for her...or at the very least get at the library again!
Christine Turner
The big steam train goes, CHUGGA chugga chugga CHUGGA chugga chugga CHOO CHOOOOOOO! The diesel train goes, "zooosh zooosh ZOOOOOOOOSH ding ding ding!" The American goes, "clang clang clang TOOT TOOT!" All aboard! Take a trip on eight noisy trains as they huff, puff, and toot-toot their way through this lively board book! Perfect for the young train enthusiast.
Katie
I love the motion that comes across Steve Light's colorful illustrations. Equally fun is the range of noises you make for each train as you read, and how the lettering encourages changes in tone and volume. My son (like many babies, I'm sure), loves noise effects and this book was a big hit with both of us.
Alicia Scully
Jun 12, 2014 Alicia Scully rated it really liked it
This book lists several different types of trains and then gives the sound that they make. I could see this book being cute in a younger storytime when you want to emphasize making sounds, but I don't know how much fun this will be for older kids. The illustrations and the content are perfect for that younger age group however.
Samantha
May 01, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
I LOVE books that let you get loud. Every type of train has its own unique sound and readers are encouraged to make those sounds as they travel down the tracks. Great read aloud. Recommended for toddler and preschoolers.
Sara
Apr 12, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: natalies-books
We l-o-v-e love this book. I'm not exacttly sure what the draw is - the bright pictures on a white background, the big size of the book (short and wide), or the funny noises mommy and daddy make when reading the book... or all three. But this book is definitely a favorite.
Liesl
Jul 25, 2014 Liesl rated it really liked it
A treat to read aloud! The simple, colorful pictures easily catch the eye, and the word choices to create the distinctive sounds of different types of train cars are creative and fun. Not a complicated or long book, which makes it perfect for a toddler.
Traci
Aug 13, 2014 Traci rated it really liked it
This book is part of my young toddler's current rotation. He loves the train noises we make when we read the book to him. I personally prefer that my husband read the book to him, but I love the illustrations and see a budding train enthusiast in my son because of this book.
The Book Box
Jun 09, 2015 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me while I ate breakfast this morning. I loved all the noises she made when she read it aloud; I stopped eating to listen! We're going to loan this one to my 2.5-year-old cousin who LOVES trains.
Meredith
Dec 22, 2013 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Great transition from an animal sounds lesson the previous week to a "color train" lesson, read alongside Donald Crews' "Freight Train" and these two videos:

Karen
Jun 27, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
I am loving Steve Light's work. His illustrations are weird, intricate, and beautiful. And the text to this book is a delight for toddlers and preschoolers.
Stacie Herbert
Mar 09, 2016 Stacie Herbert rated it liked it
This book was great, it has a unique size and give the real feeling of looking at long trains. My two year old son loved the nosies and the colors.
Angela
Jan 13, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great illustrations. Reading it out loud would drive me crazy, but it's sure to delight little train lovers. Mostly onomatopoeic words of train sounds.
Lu Benke
Fun, colorful, full of action and bound to be a hit with the board book crowd. I'm glad this title made it to the Mock Caldecott lists. Board books deserve to be noticed!
jacky
Aug 17, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
Great for train lovers. Most of the text is train sounds, so you have to be ready to be a bit silly.
Dawn
Aug 31, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-books
Simple board book about trains. Distinctive feature is that it is extra long (esp. for a board book) which is perfect for a book about trains! Its length makes it a pain to fit on the shelf though.
  • This Little Chick
  • Tubby (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • And the Train Goes...
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • I Love Trains!
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since p ...more
More about Steve Light...