Start by marking “Trains Go” as Want to Read:
Trains Go

Trains Go

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"The big steam train goes, CHUGGA chugga chugga CHUGGA chugga chugga CHOO CHOOOOOOO!" The diesel train goes, "zooosh zooosh ZOOOOOOOOSH ding ding ding!" The American goes, "clang clang clang TOOT TOOT!" All aboard! Take a trip on eight noisy trains as they huff, puff, and toot-toot their way through this lively board book! Perfect for the young train enthusiast.
Board Book, 16 pages
Published January 25th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trains Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trains Go

Asho
This is another book I picked up off the shelf at the library based on the appealing illustration on the cover. I like the child-like quality of the paintings, the bold colors, and the fact that the book has a long horizontal layout so that each train can "go" across two pages. It was fun to read, too. My toddler liked all of the train noises. I think it will be even more fun when he's old enough to participate in the noise-making.

Updated August 2014: We checked this out of the library again, th
Jim Erekson
So 'trains and trucks' should probably be its own genre of preschool book. I was wondering how this one could possibly be any different from David Crews' whole series. Not much. The impressionistic style is similar in many ways. But I did enjoy the presentation of lots of different kinds of trains. The double-entendre of 'go' for both motion and the noise something makes was fun. Unfortunately, the caboose page is obsolete. You'd have to go to an old-time train museum or ride a historical train ...more
Melanie
Love this book. We have it on loan from the library. My son wants it read every day and night. Each page is a different type of train and the noise it makes. Love the words the author chooses, as well as the illustrator's designs and font choice. I enjoy reading as much my son likes having it read. Well, maybe he likes it a bit more. Definitely a must-read if you have a little reader who enjoys trains.
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: TRAINS GO (board book) by Steve Light, Chronicle, January 2012, 16p., ISBN: 978-0-8118-7942-2

“Down by the station, early in the morning
Listen to the hissing of the big old gal.
See the diamond stoker warming up the smoker
Chug, chug, toot, toot
Clear the track!
--from a very old version found on Youtube by Ray Noble and his Orchestra

“I agree with you that they should have kept the train in, because children love to make the "choo-choo" noise.”
--one of my library school students writi
Tasha
This board book celebrates the various sounds that trains make as they travel the rails. There is the
“Squeak Clang Ting Bing Bing Bing!” of the freight train. The streamliner makes a long “wooo wooo” sound in contrast. Mountain train noises are full of “trip trap” and “fuff puff.” The noises include toots, whistles, dings and of course a few choo choos too! This is a great pick for the smallest train enthusiasts.

Light’s illustrations are done in deep colors with plenty of strong black lines to
Kelsey
Age: Baby-Toddler

Steve Light's series of board books are perfect in all the right ways. Their abnormal, rectangular size catch kids' eyes and allow for a long page spread of movement for each vehicle. Light captures sound effects that encourage fun and play when reading the story. And the pictures are not too busy, but will allow for multiple reads for older infants.
Alicia Scully
This book lists several different types of trains and then gives the sound that they make. I could see this book being cute in a younger storytime when you want to emphasize making sounds, but I don't know how much fun this will be for older kids. The illustrations and the content are perfect for that younger age group however.
Traci
This book is part of my young toddler's current rotation. He loves the train noises we make when we read the book to him. I personally prefer that my husband read the book to him, but I love the illustrations and see a budding train enthusiast in my son because of this book.
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: The illustrations and text - both in watercolor - are appealing not just to the eyes, but your ears, too. I really liked the mountain train going uphill and the real feel of elevation. The wide pages really lend themselves to a description of trains.

Adult Reader Reaction: This is so fun to read. It isn't just the kids / young listeners who get into the sound. The oblong size (wider than it is tall) really adds to the experience. It lets kids get the sense of an oversize bo
Liesl
A treat to read aloud! The simple, colorful pictures easily catch the eye, and the word choices to create the distinctive sounds of different types of train cars are creative and fun. Not a complicated or long book, which makes it perfect for a toddler.
Kristin
Really cute book for train-loving boys.
Lara
I found this book kind of...busy? I mean, it's a very simple concept, and it's a book that will almost definitely appeal to kids who already like trains, but I think it's unlikely to become a real favorite for most. I can't quite put my finger on what detracted from it for me, other than maybe the font or the color scheme. But something about it felt like too much, while at the same time feeling like too little, if that makes any sense at all. Eh, it probably doesn't.
Vivian
We read through this board book once with our story time pre-school crowd and then invited them all to stand up, as we read through it again, adding actions this time.

We marched and clapped and jumped up and down and spun around and bent left and right as we turned the pages, repeated the sounds, and added whatever action came to mind. Then we all sat back down, wiggles gone, and ready for the next story.
Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee
TRAINS GO is a fun board book for young train fans. The artwork is abstract and colorful, and the text features fun sounds that kids will be eager to 'help you read': Clang, ting, bing, bing, bing!

What I liked is that the pages are really thick and sturdy, the sort that tend to hold up well to 'the abuse' of little hands. Being slick, the pages are also drool resistant :]

Pam T~
mom/#kidlit reader
Robin
My niece Payton loves this book! Picked it up from the library. I had no idea how much she would love it, and enjoy making the sounds as I read it.

We returned it to the library this last Monday, but I definitely think it may be a book I need to buy for her...or at the very least get at the library again!
Katie
I love the motion that comes across Steve Light's colorful illustrations. Equally fun is the range of noises you make for each train as you read, and how the lettering encourages changes in tone and volume. My son (like many babies, I'm sure), loves noise effects and this book was a big hit with both of us.
Meredith
Great transition from an animal sounds lesson the previous week to a "color train" lesson, read alongside Donald Crews' "Freight Train" and these two videos:

Sara
We l-o-v-e love this book. I'm not exacttly sure what the draw is - the bright pictures on a white background, the big size of the book (short and wide), or the funny noises mommy and daddy make when reading the book... or all three. But this book is definitely a favorite.
Samantha
I LOVE books that let you get loud. Every type of train has its own unique sound and readers are encouraged to make those sounds as they travel down the tracks. Great read aloud. Recommended for toddler and preschoolers.
Monica
Would've been my son's favorite book if published a few years earlier. While the words and illustrations are dizzying to me, it brilliantly gives a fast motion illusion.
Lu Benke
Fun, colorful, full of action and bound to be a hit with the board book crowd. I'm glad this title made it to the Mock Caldecott lists. Board books deserve to be noticed!
Maryjane
My 2 year old loves this book! We borrowed it from the library and it has been all he wants to read! My 6 and 8 year old daughters love reading it to him as well!
Angela
Great illustrations. Reading it out loud would drive me crazy, but it's sure to delight little train lovers. Mostly onomatopoeic words of train sounds.
Carrie Gelson
Oh this would have been such a hit when my now ten year old was teeny tiny. Lots of colour, great sounds and looong in format.
I liked the different trains that were shown and the different sounds each of them made. It was a creative little book.
jacky
Great for train lovers. Most of the text is train sounds, so you have to be ready to be a bit silly.
The Children
I cannot even tell you how many times I read this book to my three and one year old boys. THEY LOVE IT.
Alexandra Chauran
No story line, just silly sounds. This book is a bit of an awkward size for babies.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This board book is going to be popular with some young train fans. Fun illustrations.
Elizabeth S
If you enjoy making various train noises, this is the book for you!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Found
  • Ah Ha!
  • My Bus
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
Steve Light has written and illustrated numerous books for children. He is also a storyteller and preschool art teacher. He lives in New York City.
More about Steve Light...
Have You Seen My Dragon? Zephyr Takes Flight The Christmas Giant Trucks Go Diggers Go