Start by marking “Eleanor Roosevelt's Life of Soul Searching and Self Discovery: From Depression and Betrayal to First Lady of the World” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Transforming the power in Eleanor’s story to your story starts now…Noble cause?Have a dream that needs direction?Whatever the scale of your rendezvous with destiny, the fact remains it is up toyou to live it. Eleanor’s story is a ‘do it yourself’ guide that shows us how to:• Persevere in the face of betrayal, critics and exhaustion• Leverage media tools to educate the publ ...more
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor Roosevelt's Life of Soul Searching and Self Discovery

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Just in time for Eleanor’s birthday on October 11. :)

A childhood of neglect and a feeling of inadequacy is how Eleanor Roosevelt grew up.

Her marriage to her fifth cousin was no better for her self-esteem....Franklin Delanor Roosevelt was a womanizer with a mother who had control over him and also Eleanor. Eleanor was a woman of the era in which she lived, and she live it well and the way a woman was expected to live even at her expense. She was a powerful woman despite the way she had to live,
Y. Correa
Before commencing with my review I'd like to say that I am struggling with what to say about this book. In all truth, I have very few 'nice' things to say. It is difficult to say something truly constructive about a read like this, as all you can think is "Why?!" (PS: The erroneous punctuation is on purpose.)

I'm still flabbergasted!

I guess I'll just have to start by stating the 'good things', I suppose.

PROS:

1) It has some nice pictures.

2) Grammar and punctuation is almost perfect.

3) I learned ON
Queen Spades
Full review can be found on The Review Board. I got this in exchange for an honest review. This is the abbreviated version.

I can't do too much complaining about this work from a visual perspective. There were little to no hiccups in spelling, grammar, or punctuation.

Brownie Points for Documentation--The author demonstrated she knows the proper way to cite references. That, and the bibliography page were definite advantages. Oh, kudos to the pictures, too.

Yet this is where all the pros end for m
Linda
Ann Atkins follows Eleanor Roosevelt’s life from early childhood through her death, depicting how her childhood issues influenced her adult life and how she overcame the tragedies in the following chapters:

A Bitter Beginning
Awakening
Political, Public and Personal Storms
Life After Death

In this first book in the Flash History series, Ann’s statement: “Today’s readers don’t want the drone of academic details,” which certainly applied to me when I was in history class some years back. It bored m
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Eleanor Roosevelt's Life of Soul Search­ing and Self Dis­cov­ery: From Depres­sion and Betrayal to "First Lady of the World" by Ann Atkins is a brief biog­ra­phy of the first lady aimed at the young adults (YA) crowd or adults that just want a 'beach read' style biog­ra­phy — authen­tic but all the aca­d­e­mics. The book is a first in a series called “Flash History”.

The book starts by describ­ing Eleanor’s tribu­la­tions dur­ing her upbring­ing and leads into her courtship with future pres­i­den
Meagan
The life of Eleanor Roosevelt was one like any other, it had its ups and downs. Honestly, until I read this biography, I was completely unaware of everything that she did to aid in efforts for the rights of so many groups of people. To be even more honest, I slept through almost all of my highschool history classes so I didn't know much about her at all. I really liked that parts of her biography were told more in a story format that was easier to read and kept me wanting to know more. I was mov ...more
Erlynn (BooksHugBack)
Eleanor Roosevelt's Life of Soul Searching and Self Discovery: From Depression and Betrayal to "First Lady of the World" by Ann Atkins is actually a brief look at Eleanor Roosevelt's life and how a child from a famous but floundering family can overcome countless obstacles to become a renown world leader.

Atkins' biography, from a infant series entitled "Flash History", has a lot of promise. Although this is the first, the author is planning a second written about the infamous Golda Meir. At firs
Meg - A Bookish Affair
You all know by now that I'm a history fan. Fictional or non-fictional, I love it all! I know a lot of people aren't so much into non-fiction history books. A lot of the typical criticisms are they're too long or too dry. This book seeks to change all that. Atkins does a great job of making history super accessible in this slim book. She hits all the highlights and seeks to put Roosevelt's life in context for those who may not be familiar with her story.

This book would be very well received by y
Taylor
I was curious to learn more about Eleanor Roosevelt so I was excited to read it. I definitely learned a lot about her and her family. I learned things about FDR that I had no clue about which was interesting. So in that regard it was fun to learn about a part of history that I wasn't all that familiar. On the flip side, I was bothered by how the book was laid out. I felt that it jumped around in time so that I wasn't really sure when certain events were really happening. I think it would've been ...more
Ms. Jared
It was interesting but not very well written. It's written in present tense (annoying!) and reminds me a lot of the essays we had to write in my women's history class but longer. There are also these weird questions/thoughts for the reader that the author puts at the end of some sections that are really stupid, like where she compares Eleanor to Rocky and her heartbreak over FDR's infidelity to Rocky's love for Adrian or weird stuff like that. There are other, much better books about Eleanor out ...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a very short biography, not a long and drawn out 500 page thing. It tells the need to know information about Eleanor. By need to know, I mean:

Where she came from: A very dysfunctional family. Her father was a womanizer and a suicidal alcoholic. Her mother felt that she was ugly and did not make a secret of it. Imagine growing up in that environment.

For full review, please click the link below:

Kristen
I didn't have high expectations since it was only $0.99 for my Kindle, but it is a quick read and is a fascinating account of Eleanor's life. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that wants to learn more about this fascinating woman and how the political and social world she lived in shaped who she was.
Elizabeth Severance
While the author is obviously a big fan of Eleanor, I really enjoyed reading about her from childhood to death. This book also makes me want to read more about Eleanor including her autobiography. I do recall a biography I read about Eleanor; it had the subtitle as something like the woman who really ran the country.
Wendy Price
This is a very short biography. Nice and obviously the author is a staunch supporter of Eleanor, but it was just short and I feel that it had to leave out a lot of information. It felt like a Cliff Notes version.
Eilagh
I really enjoyed this book! I knew very little about Eleanor but this book is a great introduction - what a fascinating woman! i intend to read more about her and her life.
Barbara
What a remarkable life!
Katheleen Williams
Katheleen Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Annie Kouba
Annie Kouba is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Edwin Knepshield
Edwin Knepshield marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The creator of the Flash History series, Ann Atkins is a writer and national speaker who shares history's tales of courage and triumph to help enlighten people of today with relevant stories from the past.

Ann says, "Exploring the noble lives in history we recognize the classic themes of our own human struggle." As Ann signs each of her books she writes: "The future is in your hands." Ann's audien
More about Ann Atkins...