Start by marking “Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)

Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  120 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Where are you in the motherhood journey?

Are you a new mom struggling to redefine the boundaries of your life among a sea of diapers, feedings, and sleepless nights? Have you been a mom so long that you’ve lost yourself along the way? Are you trying to decide if you want to have children?

Erin Davis was a young Christian wife who had made the decision to not have children. S
Published April 1st 2012 by Moody Publishers (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Bath Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Bath Time

My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonEtiquette & Espionage by Gail CarrigerMy Lady Jane by Cynthia HandBittersweet by Tyffani Clark KempHypnotizing Chickens by Julia Watts
Books You Wish Your Library Had that They Don't
353rd out of 370 books — 27 voters
Rules by Cynthia LordWhat You Wish For by Kerry ReichsPeace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren MyracleThe Bright Side Of Disaster by Katherine CenterThe Baby Trail by Sinéad Moriarty
Rubber Ducky
19th out of 20 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Starr Light
NOTE: This is not a review on the book itself, but on the content and culture surrounding the publication of the book. Hence, I will NOT rate the book, just provide some of my thoughts in response to the ideas and concepts.

Several of my friends are mothers, and they love it. They adore their girls and boys, and post loving pictures about the cute things they are into. I love being around these tikes, to play with them and to hold them when they let me.

But when the moms and dads tell me stories o
Sarah Poling
Jun 23, 2012 Sarah Poling rated it it was amazing
I read almost every book on mothering and parenting from a Christian perspective, so I was excited to get my hands on this book to compare it. I am a mom to three blessings, ages 6 & 10 boys, and a 2 year old girl. We prayed and waited anxiously for each of our children as we felt very called to parenting.

Beyond Bathtime is a book written to CHEER and encourage Moms in the ministry and profession of motherhood. I found it expecially suited for new moms and moms of preschoolers. It is biblica
Sherri Huntley
May 11, 2012 Sherri Huntley marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Very excited to have won this book from Goodreads!
Angelyn Vaughan
Jun 08, 2014 Angelyn Vaughan rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-2014
I loved the parts on praying with/encouraging other moms and relying on God to multiply the significance of our efforts in the small things.
Otherwise, I felt like I've read all of this before and from authors I like a little better. I wish there has been less space devoted to talking about how important mothering is and more teaching of ways to be most effective in mothering. While she states that there's no formula to doing things right, my favorite part of the book was a list of some of Susann
Sylvie
Aug 20, 2012 Sylvie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway*

I thought this would be an interesting book to read because A) Motherhood fascinates me (way more than it should a single twenty-year-old girl) and B) I'm an Atheist. Before the outrage begins, I wish I could believe in God. It's a beautiful concept. I like learning about different religions, but I just don't see myself as a religious person.

Anyway, enough about me. This is a very cute and informative book. Erin Davis does a great job
Michele Minor
Apr 11, 2012 Michele Minor rated it liked it
This book gives a biblical view of motherhood. She is honest with her readers by thinking that she was childfree for a while until she decided that it was her Christian duty as a married woman to have children. She did not tell the reader who might be childfree and married who is reconsidering her decision not to have children that her husband might leave her if she changed her mind about having children since he didn’t want to have children. She also does not acknowledge that not every woman is ...more
Jolene
Jan 13, 2013 Jolene rated it it was amazing
In Beyond Bath Time, Erin Davis reveals the lies regarding motherhood that are perpetuated by both American culture and many churches. She then guides the reader on a journey of introspection that asks hard questions about surrendering our plans to God and examining if our actions are truly selfless. By clearing out previous perceptions and motives, Davis then builds on a clean foundation as she uses Scriptural examples to create a Biblical view of motherhood as a sacred role. Beyond Bath Time ...more
Gabrielle W.
Aug 15, 2014 Gabrielle W. rated it really liked it
My way of thinking is different than most girls my age.
I look at being a future wife and mother as a career, it's what I dream of doing someday; I love every aspect of what's involved in being a wife and mother. I spend my free time reading how to better myself so I can (one day) be a better wife a mom.
Not being a mom, my view might be different than others ("that's easy for her to say, she doesn't have any children."), I know that being a mom isn't all rainbows and butterflies. Being a mom is
Heather Morgan
Feb 17, 2015 Heather Morgan rated it did not like it
This book actually might do more harm than good. It is intended to encourage, and I love that impulse. What it actually does, in many places, is replace the Gospel of Christ with a gospel of 20th century antifeminist propaganda. In moments, the arguments are lucid and helpful: motherhood is tough, and it is beautiful, and it should not need any explanation for itself, yet sometimes it does. However, the idea that women of the privileged middle class feel "under attack" for staying at home full ...more
Mercedes Cordero
Excellent, amazing and life altering. Some will say it's radical; others will say it's extremely traditional. I'll guarantee this: you will certainly have an opinion about it. Here is this book, completely unassuming, with a little rubber duckie in the cover, and you think "Aw, how cute!", and then it hits you, and hits you hard. This book will challenge your views about motherhood, about your priorities and about your mission in life. But you have to read it with an open mind and an open heart ...more
Amber
Oct 16, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
The back cover reads: MOTHERHOOD IS TOUGH. The understatement of the millenium. Having been a mom for twenty years now, one would think that I had my act together, knew what I was doing and such. The thing is that motherhood is one of those adventures that begins the moment that you read the results and doesn't stop stretching you mind, body, and soul until you die. Its not for the weak of heart. It can and will push you to your utter limits.

The crazy thing is that its also the single most rewar
Cherisa Masters
May 16, 2016 Cherisa Masters rated it it was ok
Even though it is a religious book the amount of anti-feminism talk in the first couple chapters was off putting. Comparing the techniques of feminism to a communist dictator...ouch.

Now I'm not anti or pro feminism. I'm both. Some things, like pushing towards equal rights have been a huge blessing. BUT feminism has also caused a rift between women themselves...anyways that's another point....back to the book.

The first two chapters feel like an introduction. She jumps around a lot without reall
IrenesBookReviews
Apr 30, 2012 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
Having trouble finding your purpose as a mother? Do you feel discouraged and overwhelmed with all that needs to be done everyday? Not sure whether you should work or be a stay at home mom? This book is a great resource full of helpful advice as you work through the daily grind of being a Mom.

The biggest lesson of this book is learning to accept your job of being a mother as a ministry. The author stresses that yes it will be hard and may not seem to be bearing any fruit but the job of being a Mo
Charissa Wilkinson
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads Program for the purpose of a fair review.

Overview: This one is pretty straight forward. Mrs. Davis wants to show the new mother how to use her job as a mother to show God’s love, and raise her children right.

Likes: It’s always good to see children being considered as God sees them. They can be, and usually are, the greatest treasure in the world. It’s no wonder that Jesus said “such is the Kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 19:14.

Dislikes: Mrs.
Tima
Oct 09, 2014 Tima rated it really liked it
Being a mom is a tough job. It goes way beyond tough some days. So how do mother's rise about the daily chores and routine to grasp the true meaning of motherhood? How do we find our calling as mothers without getting lost in the battle for clean clothes, baths, and semi-nutritious food? The author has taken a Biblical approach to show mothers their sacred role in raising their children for Christ while finding the joys of parenting.

The author focused a lot on how being a mom is a ministry that
Angela
Mar 06, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, devos-christian
This book starts with a look at the feminist movement. Some people might think that doesn't make sense but the feminist movement began the conversation of whether motherhood is worth it. Davis continues from there to talk about where we can really find happiness: our identity in Christ. Just like having the ultimate job won't satisfy, being a mom won't satisfy either if it's centered on us. I liked the different approach she took from other books in that she talked about why motherhood is ...more
Melinda
Jun 18, 2012 Melinda rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I liked this book. It had a lot of interesting thoughts/ideas on motherhood. Even without the religious associations, the author provides items that provoke good reflection/conversation. My favorite was the idea that perhaps as parents, we don't always teacher our children rules and discipline, maybe our children are here to teach us. Teach us how to be better people, more caring, patient and understanding. I found that a very intriguing twist on parenting. Received book free from GoodReads.com.
Amy
Jun 24, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
I wanted to read this book after hearing the author interviewed on the radio. From the interview I was expecting a book about why not to choose childlessness and while it touched on it, this book was more for already mothers.
It was an easy read about the world views of parenting, a biblical world view, the mission field motherhood is and encouragement for mums in their world changing roles.
Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend.
Anna
Aug 07, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
I've finally finished this book! It's taken me an age considering the small number of pages. Some good bits in it but I found it a drag to get through honestly. Some of the "familiar, I'm cool" language was unnecessary and I hate books that have quotes that you've just read in big on the next page.

I've read three or four of these short, tiny chapters mum books and this was the least good of the bunch, though similar.
April
Aug 21, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a door prize drawing at my MOPS group. I started it over a year ago and set it down. I've finally picked it up and finished it and it is so worth the read. I definitely struggle with seeing my mothering as a mission field rather than a burden. Very thought provoking and informative.
Katrina
Jun 24, 2012 Katrina rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
First Read win: Even though I don't have a child yet, I still love reading books like this. I loved the different ideas and thoughts about motherhood that I read throughout this book. Some of the points the author talks about I never really thought about them. From it all I would say it is a very good read.
Heather {JoshuasGirl.com}
Jul 08, 2015 Heather {JoshuasGirl.com} rated it it was amazing
Erin Davis tackles a tough issue that our culture has embraced--that motherhood is somehow a crutch or inconvience. Instead, she gracefully reminds us that motherhood is an important, and God given role that we should embrace heartily. I love that she uses Biblical examples, and scripture to back up her thoughts. Simple, easy to read, and perfect for mothers from all walks of life.
Tracy
Jun 20, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
This was a goodreads win for me. While I am not an overly religious person, I think this book had a lot of great information and presented a lot of good points to think about. Being a mom is the best job in the world, and it helps to know that others out there go through the same struggles everyday that I do. Overall--a good read:)
Annette
Aug 10, 2013 Annette rated it it was amazing
awesome inspiring book! brought me to tears many times. helped give me a clearer view of my role and is a huge encouragement! not just a book for moms with babies, but a book for all moms a little discouraged and overwhelmed.... highly recommend!!!
Christy
Jul 02, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: won-own
Good book that goes beyond how not only to survive motherhood, but how to also look at it as a religious calling. Book is partial bible study guiding you to the Bible for answers on motherhood. Won on goodreads.
Natasha
Sep 02, 2015 Natasha rated it it was amazing
This book was such a blessing to me as a mom of littles. Erins voice is refreshing and openly honest, which in the midst of the mommy war zone, is a breath of fresh air. My go to "I'm hiding in the bathroom while the babies reach under the door and I need to remember why I do this" book.
mRose
Feb 05, 2014 mRose rated it it was amazing
No other book on motherhood is so candid, so in your face, face the facts mr. kind of dialog. Even though in the book discussion on Revive Our Hearts the author says motherhood doesn't sanctify you - this whole book is about how it does! Love this book, it is definitely a read this again book.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
I won this book as a First Reads Giveaway. It's a quick, thought-provoking look at motherhood from a spiritual perspective. It's all too easy to get caught up in the craziness of being a mom and this book encourages you to take a step back and realize that motherhood is a gift from God.
Kenzie Swanson
Jun 27, 2016 Kenzie Swanson rated it liked it
The book was OK, but it felt like an introduction to something more. I certainly wanted their to be more--there wasn't nearly enough depth here for me.
Holly Kisly
May 19, 2012 Holly Kisly rated it it was amazing
Motherhood is under attack, I so appreciate the auther's willingness to tackle this culturally tough subject. A quick but compelling book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Real Moms...Real Jesus: Meet the Friend Who Understands
  • Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places
  • The Dude's Guide to Manhood: Finding True Manliness in a World of Counterfeits
  • The Gospel According to Breaking Bad
  • Twelve Clean Pages
  • Creative Counterpart: Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You've Longed to Be
  • The Faithful Parent: A Biblical Guide to Raising a Family
  • The Beauty of Broken: My Story and Likely Yours Too
  • Together: Growing Appetites for God (True Woman)
  • For a Glory and a Covering: A Practical Theology of Marriage
  • Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe
  • The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
  • Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom
  • The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home & in the World
  • Praise Her in the Gates
  • Sabbath in the Suburbs: A Family's Experiment with Holy Time
  • King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father

Erin Davis is a popular speaker, author, and blogger, Erin is passionately committed to sharing God's truth with others. She is the author of several books including Graffiti: Learning to See the Art in Ourselves, True Princess: Embracing Humility in an All About Me World, Beyond Bath Time, and the One Girl Seri
More about Erin Davis...

“It’s easy to assume that because what we are doing is familiar, we are the least valuable part of the church. But God doesn’t see it that way. And we need to remember the sacredness of what we are doing as we mother.” 2 likes