Start by marking “Book: A Futurist's Manifesto: A Collection of Essays from the Bleeding Edge of Publishing” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The ground beneath the book publishing industry dramatically shifted in 2007, the year the Kindle and the iPhone debuted. Widespread consumer demand for these and other devices has brought the pace of digital change in book publishing from "it might happen sometime" to "it’s happening right now"—and it is happening faster than anyone predicted.

Yet this is only a transition
Published August 17th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published October 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book

Koen Verbrugge
A great read, from Brian O'Leary's great opening article 'Context, Not containers' untill the 'readers bill of rights' by Kassia Krosser.
To be honest, only 6 articles really caught my attention, which is not a problem since you can skim through the other parts without missing out. To me the other 12 parts felt like a bonus.
The articles that did matter gave me great insight in some publishing startups, the consequences of DRM and the interdependencies between publishers and e-reader software.
The
David Sky
I first heard about this book on the CBC podcast/radio-show Spark (episode 190: Rituals, Reality, Reading) and started reading it for free, online at http://book.pressbooks.com/
Cheryl
Jan 14, 2014 Cheryl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Saw on Liz's list
Shelves: ddc-000
McGuire's the founder of LibriVox!
Awesome - Looking forward to reading more of this and all the subsequent updates.
R.Scot Johns
Part 1: The Setup

Mixed bag of essays aimed for the most part at medium to large scale publishing houses whose outmoded production model is in flux. While much of the content is of little use to indie authors and other content creators, the overall discussion of the changing landscape of publishing is informative and enlightening (if often pedantic and heavy-handed).

Of most value and interest for myself (as an author and independent publisher) were Liza Daly's essay on "What We Can Do with Books"
Nathan
This is, as the subtitle promises, a book of essays. Consequently there’s no central theme: essayists explore the future of the book from the vantage point of their own piece of the publishing industry. I found the most value in the overall rather than the specific essays.

“It is time to see publishing as a whole—newspapers, magazines, and books—as part of a disrupted continuum. Digital makes convergence not only possible—it has made convergence inevitable. Marketers have become publishers, publi
Ami Iida
Jun 02, 2015 Ami Iida rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: interested in e-books
Shelves: ict
Books and e-books are different
What is the difference?
paper books have been continued to read more than 2000 years .
It has been released current e-books.

Many avid readers hate e-books.
There are several functions of e-book reader that paper books cannot be.
E-books have the future of every books.
I expect them.
Ellen
I enjoyed reading this book, and many of the chapters still hold up well over the time which has passed since publication. This is a rapidly changing area. Some of the chapters were worth fives stars, but some others changed this view. The diverse chapters provide an over view of possible futures for books, based on current information. It is not a book of scenarios, but of extrapolations from current behaviour.
John
Great survey of some threads currently unraveling in the publishing world. The book is a few years old at this point but many of the articles are still relevant and the issues they address are in the same place they were years ago.
Librarians! Read this! Please.
Or at least this essay by Craig Mod, mind-blowing: http://book.pressbooks.com/chapter/bo...
Masaru SHIMIZU
I am good in various ways
Simon Lee
Simon Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Shrini Vasan
Shrini Vasan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Patrick Arminio
Patrick Arminio marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Allison
Allison is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Steve Fiver
Steve Fiver marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Smaran Kapoor
Smaran Kapoor marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
rhodeswarrior
rhodeswarrior marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
72 marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
MacKenzie Abernethy
MacKenzie Abernethy marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Merchants of Culture: The Publishing Business in the Twenty-First Century
  • Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life
  • The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption
  • Crazy Is a Compliment: Taking Smart Risks in the Pursuit of Big Dreams
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • The Big Shift: The Seismic Change in Canadian Politics, Business, and Culture and What It Means for Our Future
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • Under This Beautiful Dome: A Senator, A Journalist, and the Politics of Gay Love in America
  • The Nextgen Librarian's Survival Guide
  • Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back
  • Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
  • On Beauty and Being Just
  • Gladstone: A Biography
  • The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World
  • Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
  • Broken Markets: How High Frequency Trading and Predatory Practices on Wall Street Are Destroying Investor Confidence and Your Portfolio
Book: A Futurist's Manifesto: A Collection of Essays from the Bleeding Edge of Publishing Blind Spot The Emerging Writer: an Insider's Guide to Your Writing Journey Frankenstein Five Children and It (Five Children, #1)

“When content scarcity was the norm, we could live with a minimum of context. In a limited market, our editors became skilled in making decisions about what would be published. Now, in an era of abundance, editors have inherited a new and fundamentally different role: figuring out how “what is published” will be discovered.” 2 likes