Start by marking “Achingly Alice” as Want to Read:
Achingly Alice

Achingly Alice (Alice #10)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,159 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Alice sets long- and short-term priorities for her life as she experiences the complexities of young love.
Published June 1st 1998 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Achingly Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Achingly Alice

Sara
Recently I read the book "Achingly Alice" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, which is a story about Alice, the main character, and the events that take place as she tries to get her teacher to marry her father who're in love. The cover is what caught my eye as I thought it'd be a sweet romance considering the cover, it was bland though. The best part in this book honestly had to be when Alice was crying realizing she meddled too much in the lives of others. I felt she deserved to feel terrible for her ...more
Ellica
Finished! In love with this book, although I don't think that this is the best book to read after reading "The Grooming Of Alice" (another book in the series) because the plot of this book was all before the plot in "The Grooming Of Alice"however, it's a really great book and I would recommend it to any 12 or teenage girl to read.
Kirsten
I liked this one - and it even had a curve ball or two! My main objection is to the medical advice to douche! Um, no, please don't! - what year was this written again? But Alice's heart-to-heart with Miss Summers at the end was awesome. Each book has another incremental step toward Alice growing up.
Chris
I don't know why everyone has such a tizzy about these books. They are quite wholesome in my opinion. It's nothing that girls on a playground aren't discussing everyday in any town.
Elissa
Alice wants to get her life in order, so she focuses her attention on marrying off her dad, because she believes everything will be easier with a mother figure. Meanwhile, another boy is interested in Alice.

Book takes place: Christmas and early spring of 8th grade.
Alice's life lessons: Happiness is wanting what you already have.
Best Alice moment(s): Alice and Patrick's drum lesson; dancing with Sam at the Valentine's Day dance; Elizabeth's pelvic; Christmas with Sylvia; Sylvia's announcement
Katy
I've been following the Alice Series for several years, and I think they're really good! Alice McKinley is a very relatable character and I think she makes a good role model. She's not slutty, rude, overly-dramatic, or the kind of girl you just wanna slap in the face(well, ok she can be when she does really stupid things, but oh well...). She's just average, and although she makes mistakes sometimes, you always know that she means well and is somehow always able to fix the problem at hand. I lo ...more
Samantha
Alice is really beginning to fret over her dad's love life and takes matters into her own hands to speed things up, but her fib about Mr. Sorringer seeing another woman doesn't help her dad out and makes her feel awful. It takes a walk in Miss Summer's shoes for Alice to understand what it's like to not be able to make up your mind about matters involving the heart as Alice herself has mixed emotions about Patrick and a boy from the Camera Club named Sam.

Meanwhile, a yeast infection sends Eliza
Laura Hughes
Alice goes too far trying to engineer a happy ending for her dad and Miss Summers, but she gains some sympathy for Miss Summers' torn-between-two-lovers drama as she gets to know Sam from Camera Club while still dating Patrick. (Christmas through spring, eighth grade)

Random Observations:

* I'm calling it: this is the book when Alice officially becomes a boring stick-in-the-mud. She complains like a crotchety old woman about watching the ball drop at New Years, yet turns down an unsupervised party
Megan
Typical book from the Alice series. Alice is a good-natured girl dealing with growing up. Naylor deals with everyday issues in a realistic but light-hearted way.

A parent objected to this book in my library because a character experiences her first pelvic exam, the doctor mentions masturbation, and Alice's brother uses the word "ejaculate." All these are dealt with in a way that is acceptable (in my opinion) for middle school readers. In fact, Alice and her family set a great example for teen gir
Andd Becker
The tenth book in the Alice series features eighth-grader Alice not minding her own business.
Heather
As I mentioned in my review of "Alice in April," an earlier book in this series, I love the characters in these books, particularly Alice's family. This story provides good doses of both humor and tough stuff, as do the rest of the Alice books that I've read. I didn't think this one was quite as funny as "Alice in April," though, and it seemed sort of repetitive: Alice still wants Miss Summers and her dad to get together and they still are moving too slowly for her. I would have liked to see mor ...more
Kira Budge
An interesting addition.
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Sara
Este livro é de leitura rápida e nele acompanhamos os amores de Alice e do seu pai. Alice quer que a sua antiga professora de Inglês se case com o seu pai e quando esta se mostra indecisa entre o pai dela e o vice-diretor da sua escola não a compreende. Mas o destino troca-lhe as voltas e ela vê-se numa situação idêntica: não sabe se gosta mais de Sam ou de Patrick.
Valerie
I love the Alice books,and have recommended them to my students....Now they have finally found a following at school. The "updated, fresh new" frilly covers do NOT draw my middle school students to them. They like the versions with the more mature looking covers, but once they've dug inside they're sold, thank goodness!
Morgan B
Alice Alice Alice, i love this books. this one is one of my favorites for sure. i gave this book four stars because it was wonderful. it kept me laughing. i laughed so hard i cried. it was hilarious. you should read this book if you have read and love the alice books. the next book in this series is Alice Alone.
Celine Parker
In this Alice book, Alice learns what it means to stray from the one you love and be confused all together on who that might be. If Alice knows Partick is right for her, why is her heart telling her she should be with someone else? And why is Sylvia interested in another man when she has Alice's father?
Emma
Apr 26, 2012 Emma rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This used to be my favorite of the series, but now I just find it to be a tad boring. Nothing in particular stands out about it. Alice didn't seem to experience really any growth throughout this book. To be completely honest this installment feels like fluff. Take it or leave it.
Lindsey
B
Kricket
book 10. in which miss summers decides to spend a year teaching in england, and alice freaks out. she also begins to feel hot & bothered about patrick, but surprises herself by feeling attracted to another dude.
Brian
Alice wants her dad to get married to her old teacher. But her teacher may have the eyes for another. Her friends have the usual sexual problems. Overall this was a quick but good read.
Libby
Alice works harder than ever on getting Ms. Summers to marry her dad (and FINALLY decides that it's not her job, thank goodness!), and branches out in her friendships at school.
Megan
This book was ok. It wasn't my favorite and it wasn't very interesting. I think at some parts it was good but at others it could have had more work. Over all it wasn't very good.
Caroline
I don't particularly remember this book...it was good, though. And it fit in with the series and was, as usual, realistic!
Slone
I think it comes home to Alice that feelings of love and like (and confusion about them) are not just the province of teens.
Brandee Terry
I love this series and Alice just cracks me up. It's fun to watch her grow through the series.
Angel
i think it was a amazing book.
emily
lol it's a bit perverted.
i wonder what patrick's like in real life.....xD
Alli
I don't even remember it...so it couldn't have been too great.
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • Mates, Dates, and Diamond Destiny (Mates, Dates, #11)
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • King and King
  • The Candy Corn Contest
  • Hold on Tight (Hannah Montana, #5)
  • Amber Brown Is Feeling Blue
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • America
  • Karen's Lucky Penny (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #50)
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
  • Here's to You, Rachel Robinson
  • Jessica's Cookie Disaster (Sweet Valley Twins, #89)
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • The Clique Collection (The Clique, #1-3)
  • Competition's a Witch (Salem Witch, #2)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)

“Happiness is wanting what you have.” 2 likes