Where The River Runs

Where The River Runs

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Meridy Dresden was once a free-spirited, fun-loving girl. All that changed when the boy she loved was killed in a tragic fire. Since then, she alone has carried the burden of a terrible secret. Now, years later, married to a wonderful man and mother of a teenage son, she is shocked to learn that a childhood friend is being blamed for that long-ago fire. Fearful but determi...more
Hardcover, Large Print
Published November 1st 2005 by Center Point (first published May 3rd 2005)

Chana
Southern and insipid, weepy and feel-good, pulling on the heart-strings, bordering on stupid, it is a light-weight novel that I read in a few hours. It didn't appeal to me but I can see that it may be a popular read, something they might sell at Wal-Mart.
Christie
A while back I read Henry’s novel Losing the Moon and although I had misgivings when I started the novel, it won me over in the end. Sadly, I can’t say the same about Where the River Runs. I wanted to like it, I really did…but I just had so many problems with it.

Where the River Runs is the story of Meridy Dresden, lawyer’s wife and mother to a teenage son, BJ. She has a strained relationship with her mother and sister and a big secret that she’s kept since the summer she graduated from high scho...more
bookczuk
Henry writes about the lowcountry, but somehow I never managed to see or feel it through her words. Maybe it was my mood, but when I read a book about the lowcountry, I want to feel the pluff mud squish between my toes, smell the salt-kissed air and hear an egret's cry. I think I prefer Shakespeare's words as a plot summary: "The course of true love never did run smooth." I liked the gullah proverbs that started each chapter, and wished that promise had played out a bit more. I guess instead of...more
Leann Luckett
Jun 02, 2010 Leann Luckett rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wanted to have a beach read
Where the River Runs--Patti Callahan Henry
I recently had the opportunity to meet Patti Callahan Henry when she came and spoke at the technical college I work at and for the program that we started called Southern Authors in Residence. My history with Henry's books is, I was never a huge fiction reader and I moved from a small Southern GA town to the big city of Atlanta, GA and found that I could not sleep and I needed a way to relax. The first book that started me on this way of relaxation was...more
Shonna Froebel
Apparently I gave this book to my mother a while back (although I have no memory of that) and while I am visiting she suggested I read it. It is set mostly in South Carolina Lowcountry, and the main character, Meridy Dresden, grew up in this area. A tragedy happened at a graduation party the summer after Meridy's senior year and her parents sent her away to her grandparents for the summer. She went on to university as planned, and met a wonderful man, got married and had a son. She now lives in...more
Debbie Blohm
The plot is interesting, I wish the writer had developed the characters a bit more. I would like to know more about the woman her husband might be having an affair with and why Meridy thinks this. Give me more scenarios or red flags you suspect! I want to know more about her relationship with her mother. We are teased from time to time but come on give me more memories of the friction between you growing up. I need more details on your relationships with your sister Sissy and your BFF Tim. Give...more
Linda Day
I liked this book, but wasn't wild about it. Overheard a couple of ladies in the check-out line talking about it, so, being the bookoholic that I am, I checked it out and it was ok, but not check-out line worthy, if you know what I mean ... ;o)

The story of a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend (Meridy) who returns to her home in SC to write a curriculum on the Gullah community for her son's private school. I know ... I never heard of the Gullah community, either, but learning about these desc...more
Nancy Wiltgen
A friend gave me this book, telling me it was one of the best books she's read, so my expectations were high. Not one of the best books I have ever read, but good. Stayed up late to finish it, because I wanted to know how it ends. I liked the characters and the setting - the author drew me in to their lives.
Elaine
Meridy returns to her childhood home after twenty some odd years where she faces some difficult truths about herself and her friends Timmy and Danny, and her family. Her mother, always one to keep up appearances, still came out smelling like roses even after the fire that destroyed the Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage among other things.

Meridy doesn't get along well with neither her mother or her sister, Sissy. She's wondering if her husband Beau has his sights set on the law firm's junior partner, e...more
Susan O'Bryant
Where the River Runs is a story of a "perfect" woman from a "perfect" family who, after building a model life in Atlanta, returns to her hometown of Seaboro, South Carolina to come to grips with her history and rekindle the spirit of the lively girl she used to be.

Meridy McFadden Dresden had tamped down memories of her first love until her mother calls with news that makes her remember. Guilt compels her to go home and try to make things right. With family dynamics galore, dear friends, and a wo...more
Cindy
I enjoyed this book more than the other one I just read by this author, "Between the Tides". I think it was because there was a little 'Gullah' thrown in! But the theme of feeling guilty your whole life for something that happened when you were young was just a little overdone for me once again. You never thought of the event, you made a new life, you never went back...is that realistic? Maybe it is, but I found it a bit unbelievable. All in all, a quick read but not one I will remember or read...more
Susan
I just saw Patti Callahan Henry has a new Book out..."Where The River Runs " was my first one by this very inspiring Author...Then read Losing the Moon and now The Art of Keeping Secrets by Patti Callahan Henry Her New Book...
Alesha
I want to clarify that I'm technically giving this book a 3.5. I thought it was better than her first book I read, but not quite deserving of a 4. I think I'm picking up on a theme in her books, but I'll comment more on that topic once I've read the next one. I will say that I liked that she mentioned a character from her first book even though they have nothing to do with each other. I just like those connections.
This book is decent, but not great. The writing is average with a few sentences that stand out and grab the reader. The audience is limited in that in order to truly appreciate the book, one needs to be a woman in her 40s because the themes revolve around shifting identities of women in that age bracket. While they were likeable, I wanted a bit more from the characters.
Moey17
Loved this, heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time! I think everyone has felt like Meridy at times in their life, like they lost part of themselves and need to find it again, her journey was inspiringly sweet. Loved the pace, the surprising moments of humor, and the feel of the lowcountry the author put in with each word, just a really charming read!
Mary L
Patti Callahan Henry is my favorite author. I find myself, if just a bit, in each and every character she crafts with her writing. I am invariably drawn in immediately to her writing, and stay to the very end, always wanting more. This book is no exception. I have learned so much about myself from reading Meridy's story. It is one you should not miss.
Carolyn
Wonderful southern story. You can go home again, and you can change the course your life has taken.
Lauren
It wasn't my favorite of Henry's books, but it wasn't bad. I just wasn't able to relate to a middle-aged woman dealing with empty-nesty issues. As always, I enjoyed the representation of the Low Country, an area I know very well, so that made the reading not so bad. Just seemed a little slow going when you didn't relate to the characters.
Mary
This was a fast read on a day off school. This story is set in the lowcountry of So. Carolina, with some history and cultural insight of the Gullah, told by an old housekeeper. The story is about a woman who goes back to her childhood home to rediscover who she really is and where people in her life fit. I liked Henry's writing.
Barbara White
This is only my second Patti Callahan Henry, and I am thrilled to discover her work. I consumed this novel in two days. I loved the characters, I loved the plot, but most of all I loved the wonderful writing. Her descriptions are mouthwateringly good. I could hear, see, feel the water. Can't wait to read everything else she's written!
Patti
This book was an enjoyable read....but not as captivating as the other two that I have recently read by this author. I wasn't drawn to the characters as much as I was with those in A Perfect Love Song and When Light Breaks. Having said this, though, I plan on reading more of Ms. Henry's work.
Amy
A friend of mine marked this as to read so I thought it might be worth checking out. I really like books set in the South for some reason, and this fits the bill. The story is captivating and interesting. I will definitely check out other books by this author.
Vivian
Ms. Henry is one of my favorite authors. This is a beautifully written story - lyrical with wonderful imagery. The mood, the setting, the characters wrapped themselves around me and I felt transported to the Lowcountry. A very satisfying read.
Jeannie Scheirman
I love the way this author uses the South Carolina as her setting. In this novel, she explains alot about the Gullah culture through the main character, Meridy's, search to learn about her life. I can't wait to read her next book!
Agnes
This book was very well written. It brought forth different aspects of culture and different levels of society. I had a hard time putting the book down. It defintely made me think about my own life and how I approach it.
Angelica
Appropriate beach reading. It's light, easy reading. Henry is a local author and has written several books. She has a wonderful touch with creating believable characters and I'm always a sucker for Lowcountry settings.
Marla Sommer
A book of a wife loosing it as she enters her fifties. I gave it 2 stars versus 0 stars: 1~for staying with her husband and not having an affair and 2~The setting is in South Carolina's "low country".
Mary Schirm
I enjoyed this one and like the relationships the author develops. I also enjoy Henry's writing style and intend to try her again. I think she also writes a series and want to make sure I find the first one.
Erin
Jul 25, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
I loved it. It is a fast read, and the author really makes you feel what the characters are feeling. The ending was not what I thought it would be but I loved it anyway. Makes you beleive love always wins.
Janie
Typical and, frankly, just not that interesting to me. I thought I'd like this because I really enjoyed Driftwood Summer. This didn't scratch my itch even at the beach this week.
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Sweetgrass
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Plantation (Lowcountry Tales #2)
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)
  • Bound South
  • Islands
  • The Ladies of Garrison Gardens
207337
Patti Callahan Henry is the National Bestselling author of six novels with Penguin/NAL (Losing the Moon, Where the River Runs, When Light Breaks, Betweeen the Tides, The Art of Keeping Secrets, and Driftwood Summer).

Patti is hailed as a fresh new voice in southern fiction. She has been short-listed for the Townsend Prize for Fiction and has been nominated for the Southeastern Independent Booksell...more
More about Patti Callahan Henry...
Driftwood Summer Between The Tides Coming Up for Air And Then I Found You The Art of Keeping Secrets

“You need to take care of the root in order to heal the tree. - Gullah Proverb” 5 likes
“Maybe I'd ignored longing so many times through the years until eventually I'd just stopped feeling it.” 4 likes