Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970

Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,031 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Published on the twentieth anniversary of his death, this candid book reveals new information on the breakup of the Beatles, fellow musicians such as Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones, Lennon’s attitudes towards revolution and drugs, and his relationship with Yoko Ono. Featuring new introductions by Ono and Wenner, and containing substantial material never before seen in pr...more
Published October 17th 2000 by Verso (first published 1971)

Please Kill Me by Legs McNeilChronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob DylanLove is a Mix Tape by Rob SheffieldOur Band Could Be Your Life by Michael AzerradPsychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs
Best Non Fiction About Music
93rd out of 746 books — 571 voters
Hitchcock/Truffaut by François TruffautOrson Welles by Mark W. EstrinBuster Keaton by Kevin W. SweeneyThe Rolling Stone Interviews by Peter HerbstSteven Spielberg by Steven Spielberg
Best Interview Books
23rd out of 140 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Todd Nemet
I finished a book early last night and wasn't sleepy, so I read this book again -- probably my 10th time reading it.

It's a mass paperback edition of the 1970 Jann Wenner Rolling Stone interviews with John and Yoko. It's John Lennon in full post-Beatles, de-mythologization mode. The first line in the interview: "If I could be a fuckin' fisherman, I would, you know."

In the interview John is alternately funny, self-pitying, angry, bitter, coy, self-contradictory, interesting, and forgetful. Just li...more
Whitney
"Lennon Remembers is classic Lennon. It's not a sit-back-and-put-your-feet-up read... It's a jolt on your nerves like bad, bad espresso. People with weak stomachs should close the window before reading. You might just feel like jumping out."
~ Yoko Ono, from the Foreword

I hardly ever read forewords, I want to get to the meat of the story and feel those numeral numbered pages get in the way. But, before starting Lennon Remembers, the 1970 Rolling Stone Interview conducted by Jann Wenner, I did. Yo...more
Kris Larson
DON'T read this if you love the cheeky, Hard Day's Night vision of the Beatles. It's an interesting snapshot of Lennon's mind on the day(s) he was being interviewed, and because he's so adamant in everything he says, you might come away feeling he really always hated the other Beatles and so on. But I think he was just a really young guy who didn't yet know how to handle a breakup very well, any kind of breakup. It's an interesting read, but don't get into it if you want your fuzzy Beatles feeli...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of:
Lennon Remembers - Rolling Stone Interview
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 6, 2008

After decades of not much caring about The Beatles & John Lennon & whatnot, I recently made a movie called "Backwards Masking In Rocks" that references The Beatles & Lennon & Ono, etc.. & I discovered that I really DO like The Beatles. In my movie, Lennon et al are The Crystals & backwards masking allegations are made against ROCKS in general (rather than rock music). Now...more
Peacegal
Yeowch! Caustic and biting, this is certainly not the Beatles America embraced in 1964. Reading Lennon’s harsh opinions of Paul McCartney can be wince inducing. Lots of self-aggrandizing as well, from both Yoko and John.

Even so, I’ll take this bad-mouthing, ego-tripping Lennon interview over the middle aged-soft and squishy one present in All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. At least this one had his wry sense of humor intact, and had me laughing out loud on...more
James
Lennon has been essentially sainted since he got shot. This book is great because it demonstrates what an arrogant asshole he could be. He talks all kinds of shit about Jagger, McCartney, and every other 60s British rock star. Worth a read for Beatles fans and Beatles haters.
Ray
I admit that I have not looked at this book since 1971. I was 15 and ready for the journey that any of the Beatles were ready to take their fans on. And I definitely wised up in the process- realizing I wasted hard earned money on albums like "Unfinished Music No.2" "The Wedding Album" and "Electronic Sound". But hey, I was the first of my peer group to then understand performance art.
During the time these interviews happened and for subsequent years, John made NYC his home. They often appeared...more
Aaron Dome
Would you take it all back?

"If I could be a fuckin' fisherman - I would"

Thus begins this frank chronicle of the life and times of the founding member of the world's most famous (and arguably best) rock group. A cursing and often abrasive Lennon gives his first-hand account of the Beatles from their formation until 1970, complete with his raps on art, philosophy, and the brutal business of rock 'n' roll.

The original book - an heavily edited transcript of 1970 interviews with Rolling Stone's Jann...more
Frederick
Jul 15, 2007 Frederick rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Beatles fans, people interested in sixties politics
Shelves: interviews, lennon
I read an edition published in the early seventies. I don't know how the current edition differs from that one, but I gather the current one is complete and that the one I read was a little more complete than editions published between then and the time of the current publication.
These are interviews John Lennon and Yoko Ono gave together to Jann Wenner, the founder of ROLLING STONE, shortly after the Beatles broke up in 1970.
It is valuable as a record of John Lennon's state of mind in 1970. Yo...more
Ramin
A bunch of interviews with John Lennon, usually with Yoko Ono, in 1970. It was right after John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (and before Imagine). And it was right after the Beatles breakup, so there was much discussion of that. In John's view, they broke up because he and Paul were egomaniacs going in different directions, not because of Yoko. (And apparently everybody were assholes to Yoko, except for Ringo and his wife.)

John talked about the musical influences on them, including Chuck Berry and Bo...more
Paolo
E’ l’intervista integrale del 1970 per Rolling Stone fatta da Jann S. Wanner a John Lennon, con la presenza di Yoko Ono.

Più che un'intervista ragionata, studiata nei modi e nei tempi, sembra una discussione appassionata, pungente, irriverente. Solo dopo poche pagine sembra di stare lì, allo stesso tavolo con il giornalista, con Yoko Ono, un po' defilata, e John Lennon, che si agita, ride, sentenzia, canticchia. I Beatles si sono sciolti da poco e molte sono le domande sul gruppo, sui caratteri,...more
Michael
Fascinating for the time, eventually proved to be somewhat less reliable than you'd think...Also, Lennon did it only after extracting a promise from Wenner that he wouldn't publish it as a book.

Oh well. :-)
Marianne
I was only 10 years old during the Summer of Love in 1968, so I can't say I was ever one of the screaming girl fans of the Beatles. Nevertheless, I'd grown up with a fondness for the "Lovely Lads From Liverpool" and their music. Having said that, these collected interviews were quite shocking to me when I read them in 1976. Here is a frank and poignant look at what life was really like on the magical mystery tour. That they managed to maintain a fairly squeaky clean image is remarkable given the...more
Misha
აუცილებლად წასაკითხი ლენონისტებისთვის. ლენონი თავის ამპლუაში, გულღია, პირდაპირი და ხანდახან მწარე ლენონი, რომელიც ბევრ რამეს იხსენებს ბითლზის და საკუთარი ცხოვრებიდან. ბითლზის დაშლა, იოკოსთან შეხვედრა. უთანხმოებები პოლთან ჯორჯთან, მაჰარაში და ინდოეთი, ჯონის დამოკიდებულება ბობ დილანთან, მიკ ჯაგერთან, ბითლზთან, პოლიტიკოსებთან და ა.შ. მოკლედ ბევრი რამეა, ლენონის, როკ ენ როლის და 60-იანი წლების მოყვარულებს მოგეწონებათ.
Apolla
For a pacifist, John Lennon sure was angry... brilliant and acerbic, sharp and intelligent, these are not interviews which make particularly easy or pleasurable reading, but they are interesting and shed a certain light on the character of Lennon in the days immediately after the band broke up.

But Rolling Stone still sucks.
Carlos Hugo Winckler Godinho
Que pessoa confusa que era o Lennon, não? Me parece que ele estava constantemente tentando chamar a atenção. Talvez tenha sido uma fase, como o livro da irmã dele dá a entender (cito porque li ao mesmo tempo), mas a imagem que se tem dele nessa entrevista não é das melhores.
I found this in a discount bin. Awesome book for anyone who has a thing for Lennon. Easy to read, simple and profound. Interview style really let's you just listen to Lennon like he's in the room. I definitely recommend this one for any one even mildly interested in John.
JT
Feb 22, 2010 JT rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: music, own
Sure, John could be a jerk at times, but I still love him. I didn't like how Yoko would butt in and try to correct what John said. I am more of a fan of the cheeky, A Hard Day's Night and HELP! John, but it's a great read nonetheless.
Peter
One of the great interviews with any composer/performer. THis is where the ''genius' and 'Japanese fisherman' quotes come from... spends a great deal of time on the breakup/business dealing of the Beatles.

A must for any Beatles fan.
Elyssa
These interviews offer an interesting perspective from John Lennon in 1970, still fresh from the break-up of The Beatles, in love with Yoko, immersed in political issues, etc. It's still worth checking out, even so many years later.
Frank
This is one angry man--at least at this point. Pretty fascinating.

Fave (approximated) quote, when asked about the recently released "All Things Must Pass" album from George Harrison: "It's better than Paul's." Zzzzzing!
Susanne
Well, I don't know, I forget... fuck!

Lennon sounds like a spoilt child. I really do like his music, but closed this book with a feeling of disppointment. I had expected a bit more substance to what he had to say.
Morris
If you're a Beatles fan and especially a Lennon fan, you'll want to read this one. It's like having John sitting with you and talking about his life and the Beatles. Yoko's there too. A great read.
Lynn
A marvelous insight into John's state of mind in 1970--bitter, passionate, intense. Lennon spilled his guts, doing his best to demythologize the Beatles and himself. In the process, he created a new mythos.
Mark
I read this in the original tabloid interviews, and was happy when it finally came out in paperback.
It made great fun reading while listening to the Plastic Ono Band album!
Mihir B
John Lennon was a creative writer, Lennon revealed a rebellious nature and acerbic wit in his music, writing, drawings, on film, and in interviews.

Excellent book to read!!!
Stuart
An arrogant and caustic Lennon comes across in these interviews, and causes you to rethink your view of him.
Eric Huettenmueller
Spoiler Alert: Lennon's hate for the Beatles and especially Sir Paul.
Chris Peterson
Awesome interview. It's why John Lennon's my hero.
minnie
Dec 13, 2007 minnie marked it as rock-biographies-and-music  ·  review of another edition
Have this a while havn't got round to it yet though.
Goodreads Authors...: Blog Interviews 6 48 Feb 09, 2013 03:41PM
  • Lennon
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • The Beatles
  • Postcards from the Boys
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • Many Years from Now
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • In His Own Write
  • Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation
  • The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup
  • Revolution In The Head: The Beatles Records and the Sixties
Jann Simon Wenner is the co-founder and publisher of the music and politics bi-weekly Rolling Stone, as well as the owner of Men's Journal and Us Weekly magazines.
Wenner grew up in a secular Jewish family. His parents divorced in 1958, and he and his sisters, Kate and Merlyn, were sent to boarding schools to live. He graduated from high school at Chadwick School in 1963 and went on to attend the U...more
More about Jann S. Wenner...
Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson The Rolling Stone Interviews 20 Years of Rolling Stone: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been George Harrison The Beatles: the Ultimate Album-by-Album Guide