Angel Voices

Angel Voices

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  23 reviews
On a frigid winter night, college freshman Will stumbles into the shelter of a church during choir practice. His father has just discovered that Will is gay, and has beaten him and thrown him out of the house. But right now Will’s interested only in getting warm.

Will’s college roommate Quinn is a soloist in the choir, which is practicing for a Christmas program. He discov...more
Published December 18th 2011 by Amber Quill Press/Amber Allure (first published December 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Voices

Deeze
Not what I was expecting at all. 1.5

The blurb had me believing I was in for a short but angsty read with a HEA. But sadly all I really seemed to get was a quick get together and the usual sex despite serious injuries.

Quinn and Will went from roommates that barely spoke to each other to instant lovers. Ignoring the fact that Will had serious injuries the two boys hopped straight into bed.

Will's brother goes from a bully in the making, according to Will he was becoming more like their father ev...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5-4*
Despite the storyline, its a sweet, light read!
Nothing new or groundbreaking, but a cute Christmas story!
Mammarella
A boy goes home for Christmas. His father cracks boy's head on the asphalt, a few ribs with his fist and kicks him out the house for evah and evah and evah for being gay.

The boy is hurt and cold and miserable. His gay (who wudda've thunk?) friend/roommate picks him up, cleans him up and adopts him in more ways than one, along with friend's big, loving, warm and loud and altogether amazing family.

(view spoiler)...more
Lena Grey
Often the things we worry about the most never happen. This is part of the message of 'Angel Voices' by Rowan Speedwell. It's a short, poignant story, aptly named since Quinn is a guardian angel of sorts, helping his shy roommate Will after he's beaten and thrown out on Christmas Eve for being gay. Will comes back to school thinking that even though it's a temporary fix, he has nowhere else to go. Quinn takes Will under his wing and shows him that his life is not over, that there are alternative...more
Ami
Will is an 18-year-old college student. When his father finds that he is gay, he beats Will black and blue and throws him out of the house. Hurt and alone with no money at all, Will walks from his house and stops at a church when he hears a choir. Unbeknownst to him that his college roommate Quinn is singing at the moment ...

This short novella (coming at 60 pages, 15000 words) is a beautiful story about love and hope after suffering a horrible experience. Quinn is such a colorful character. Get...more
Diane
I reslly liked this story, I thought the characters were relatable and one of the best parts was the bit of a twist at the end with the families. You think you know how this plays out, but you're not quite right! To say too much more would give too much away, overall, I would definitely recommend this book!
Janna
Dec 24, 2012 Janna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Originally posted at Rarely Dusty Books

Genre & Keywords:
M/M Romance, Contemporary, Christmas, Coming Out and Kicked Out, Abusive Father, Roommates, Young Lovers, Family

~~~~~
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Heat level: 2 out of 3 flames
~~~~~

A Christmas story from last year, this was still on my to read list and it perfectly fitted my current mood of wanting to read sweet and Christmassy m/m stories. Angel Voices is great for a quick romantic fix. This short story offers the tale of young lovers...more
Joyfully Reviewed

On a night when college students are arriving home for the holiday break Will finds himself right back on campus at a nearby church. Will is battered, beaten, and almost broken. His father flipped out when Will arrived home, accusing him of being gay. Because Will was raised to tell the truth he was assaulted by his own father as his mother stood by and watched.

In shock and pain Will listens to the choir of fellow students practicing as he wonders what he’ll do next since his father swore he’d r...more
Plainbrownwrapper
This is a nice story about a college kid who gets beaten up and thrown out by his father after being accidentally outed just as the Christmas break begins. Although he lives on campus in the dorms his family home is in the same town, so after the beating he walks 10 miles back to campus in the freezing cold and collapses in the campus church, where his roommate is rehearsing for a Christmas concert as a member of the church choir.

I like Rowan Speedwell's writing. She has a graceful way of gettin...more
Katie
I don't really have any strong feelings about this book, it was kind of meh. I liked the bebe's and the Creole deal. Sexy ;) Quinn was nice and Will was adorable. Um, the brother ended up being ok, the mom and dad not so much. I liked Quinn's family especially the grandmother, who was really the most fleshed out among them, and that't not very. I thought how much I'd like to hear Quinn sing. This novel could be a quick read. It's not really in depth and it seems rather rushed. When the ending ca...more
Betryal
The title alone at first caught my attention in wanting this book and I gasped when I noticed Rowan didn't have it added yet so I could mark it as a must buy. So Rowan, thanks so much for adding this book to GR on my behalf. It was really appreciated.

Having said that, I had to read this book asap and the same day that I was able to pick it up and boy oh boy I was not disappointed. A spectacular Christmas story well worth the read for this holiday season.

More stories like this one I could handle...more
Raevyn
This was a sweet story about Will, who gets beaten by his father for being gay, and Quinn who is his dorm roommate. The story pulls you in, wondering what will happen to Will and how the relationship with Quinn proceeds. Quinn's family was great and I enjoyed reading about them, but I wish there was more about them. My biggest complaint is that as soon as you really get into it and start falling for the MCs, it ends. The story was too short and the storyline could have easily been at least a nov...more
Phaney
Ah, I needed that. This was an excellent story, albeit a short one, about a young guy beaten and kicked out by his father at Christmas for being gay. It did not aspire to be a romance as such, but there was sweet making out and a tentative sort of relationship. Heh. So young, these boys.

Anyway, the subject matter was handled beautifully and touched me deeply. This was just plain good all around.
Tamela
A rude awakening for Will. His father had always been cold and stern, but to be thrown out of his home was more painful than the beating his father gave him before tossing him out the door.

His college roommate, Quinn, is there to help and support him and Quinn's family quickly takes him in and shows him what a truly loving family is really like.

Good read, you'll enjoy!!
Britney
certainly not as good as her other books, but kinda cute. I gave it three stars because I liked the premise, but it was really only okay in my eyes. It did not pull me into the book, nor did I find the way the characters reacted very life like. So not something I will recommend to anybody, but I still recommend the author's other books, namely Finding Zach and Hopes and Fears.
Veronica / Miss V
This was a really nice story, even though, I wish for another kind of ending.
This is one of those times that I thought my kindle delete pages and the ending was missing.
Unfortunately that wasn't the case, for me it felt incompletely, still a very sweet story.
Cheryl
I liked Will and Quinn together. Hated Will's dad, hes a religious homophobic bigot. He beat Will and threw him out of the house. Personally I can't see how family can do that to one another.
MARTI
A light read but totally dissapointing after Finding Zach by Rowan Speedwell Sorry, Miss Speedwell.
Marsha Spence
Reread 9/30/2013:
Just a lovely read. Will and Quinn are so cute and sweet together and how Quinn and his family take care of Will is so sweet.
Meggie
This short story was dramatic and sad, but somehow we got an HEA ending out of it. In general it was a good story.
Chris Beatty
I really liked this novella. Just wish it was longer, I'm a glutton for Rowan Speedwell.
Lily
Nice story with a bit of angst.
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Hadley
Hadley marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • A Trouble Halved
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • Personal Shopper
  • First Christmas
  • Healer (The Institute, #1)
  • Christmas Homecoming
  • Home and Heart
  • The Boy Behind the Red Door
  • Possibilities
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Home for the Holidays (Details, #1.5)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
  • A Ring and a Promise
An unrepentant biblioholic, Rowan Speedwell spends half her time pretending to be a law librarian, half her time pretending to be a database manager, half her time pretending to be a fifteenth-century Aragonese noblewoman, half her time… wait a minute… hmm. Well, one thing she doesn't pretend to be is good at math. She is good at pretending, though.

In her copious spare time (hah) she does needlewo...more
More about Rowan Speedwell...
Finding Zach Kindred Hearts Love, Like Water Illumination Hopes and Fears