Utopia or Oblivion: The Prospects for Humanity

Utopia or Oblivion: The Prospects for Humanity

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Utopia or Oblivion is a provocative blueprint for the future. This comprehensive volume is composed of essays derived from the lectures he gave all over the world during the 1960's. Fuller's thesis is that humanity - for the first time in its history - has the opportunity to create a world where the needs of 100% of humanity are met. This is Fuller in his prime, relaying h...more
Hardcover
Published February 7th 1973 by Overlook Press (first published June 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Utopia or Oblivion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utopia or Oblivion

Lee
You have to digest Fuller's writing style in bits of less than 10 pages... but wow was this guy aware of where science was going and what humans were adding to it all. One of my all time favorite books.
Jonnythrombosis
i am almost at the end of the epilogue & this book has been both inspiring in many respect but quite disturbing in so far as it raises a big question for me - i think bucky has it right about ephemeralization & the fact that with using less to do more we can support a massively larger population than most people are aware - i think he has refuted malthus & also darwin - however my thinking is that he is wrong about the great pirates extinction - it seems they have dug their heels wel...more
Amberae
Got me through hours on a hippie bus to the national rainbow family gathering. Many a hippie picked it up, but could not make sense of it. Kept me from going insane, and made me realize what a wonderful man Fuller was. It now rots in my boyfriends car, he says it's "too heady."
Malbadeen
May 06, 2008 Malbadeen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people that like to be hypnotized by covers
Recommended to Malbadeen by: It called out to me from the shelf
Check out this cover (seriously people, click on the cover to enlarge it and take in the beuty as the rainbowed man). 5 f***ing stars for that cover!!!
It's soooooo much better in real life, if your nice to me I'll grace you with a viewing.
Online-University of-the-Left
Full of terrific insights, especially his theory of wealth. But you'll have to get used to Bucky's weird style of long sentences with strings of adjectives of his own invention. It's worth it.
Luke
A collection of essays, addresses, and statements by Fuller in 1964-65, making the argument that a) we now know there are enough resources in the world to sustain all of humanity b) because since the development of naval and aerospace technology (for a few hundred years, but not generally recognized) we have begun doing more-with-less but c) we're currently only getting the secondary benefits of this ephemeralization because it is directly developed for weapon- and war-making so d) accomplishing...more
Hock Tjoa
Bucky has faith in humanity even though his approach is akin to that of the engineer: nationalities will fade into one humanity, scarcity--the cause of all wars--will end as "ephemeralization"--doing more with less--works its magic,, the "universe is the aggregate of all human experience, consciously apprehended and communicated--it includes metaphysics" and so forth. There is some repetition and this vision is tied to the information available ca 1970. One wishes he were right.
Nick Black
Ramble ramble ramble. There's a good reason this has fallen out of print.
Arnold Hoogerwerf
Some comprehensive thinking in there!
Ottoleo
diggity dig
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Linda Meyer
Linda Meyer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jonny Bottomley
Jonny Bottomley marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Quark
Quark marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Vladimir Aronov
Vladimir Aronov marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Marcus Ahlers
Marcus Ahlers marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Chris Ahlers
Chris Ahlers marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
loofychan
loofychan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Cecilia Vinkel
Cecilia Vinkel marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ralph Zoontjens
Ralph Zoontjens marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Byron Siler
Byron Siler marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Will Holcomb
Will Holcomb marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Devon Krukiewicz
Devon Krukiewicz marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Maelle J
Maelle J marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Uli Vogel
Uli Vogel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Miguel Amaral
Miguel Amaral marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Design-Science Commission for Bucky 1 2 Nov 01, 2012 07:29PM
Critical Path Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth I Seem To Be A Verb Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking Grunch of Giants