Start by marking “The Wright Sister” as Want to Read:
The Wright Sister

The Wright Sister

Published in time for the 100th anniversary of the first flight, here is the first complete biography of the Wright Brothers' sister. Beloved sibling, confidant, and caregiver, Katharine managed many of her brothers' affairs. Based on a thorough study of her personal papers and the Wright archives, The Wright Sister tells a touching personal story, and casts a uniquely int
Published March 24th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wright Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wright Sister

Mahrya
Nov 08, 2008 Mahrya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 9-14
Shelves: juvenilia
Maurer, Richard. The Wright Sister: Katharine Wright and her Famous Brothers, Roaring Brook Press, 127 pages. Non-fiction biography.

Description: This biographical book tells the story of Orville and Wilber Wright's sister, Katharine, from her childhood through her time at Oberlin College to her years of assisting her brothers with their flying machines.

Review: The Wright Sister offers a new perspective on the Wright Brothers and goes far beyond the famous story of the first flight at Kitty Hawk
Alyssa Peters
Alyssa Peters
Biography
This book is about Kathering Wright. She was the sister of the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, who were the men who had the first successful airplane flight in 1903. Katehrine was actually a teacher in Dayton, Ohio. Katehrine actually wtraveled with her brothers to help promote their invention of the airplane. She gave up her teaching career. She married a man later in life that she had actually meant when she was in college. Wilbur died and Orville was left to depend
Whitney Summers
Oct 15, 2014 Whitney Summers rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-356-9-16
I read this book because reading an informational text was required. However the title of this text interested me. This book is about the Wright brothers sister and her life. Including her contribution to the Wright brothers business and evolutionary invention. It was interesting for the first couple chapters or sections, but after a while it seemed like over kill. Because it was an informational text it had the same sense and feel of a textbook, which are completely boring to read. Overall grea ...more
Mandy Eastwood
Jul 14, 2013 Mandy Eastwood rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. I feel as though Katherine and I would be good friends. It was well written, interesting, informative and engaging.I felt like I got a much greater appreciation and understanding for the Wright brothers and their magnificent creation. Their sister Katherine was an incredible and inspiring woman who worked hard to keep her family happy. She was fun loving and a good friend and though she would never admit it, she deserves as much credit as her brothers for helping to ...more
Aubrey
Jun 08, 2013 Aubrey rated it liked it
Shelves: english-356
This is my biography book that I decided to read. I didn't know anything about the Wright brothers to begin with, let alone their sister, expect for they invented the airplane. So this was a very informative book to me, teaching me something that is a major part of our history. The format just went through her life from beginning to end, and included a lot of pictures, that were really interesting.

Katherine Wright is a very strong, amiable character. Throughout the book, you read about her humor
Cory Hernandez
Jul 01, 2012 Cory Hernandez rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-lit-eng-356
In my opinion, The Wright Sister was just an "ok" book. The pictures were nice and it was interesting to see another point of view on the very famous brothers. However, I feel that the book still talked about her two brothers more than it talked about her life. As I said, I enjoyed the pictures because it was something that I had never seen before. They captured the real life of the Wright family and it was nice to experience. I thought the book was very professionally done. Richard Maurer wrote ...more
Sheng Yang
Oct 19, 2014 Sheng Yang rated it liked it
Shelves: eng356
I chose this book, because I'm actually interested in learning about the Wright Sister. The book was great, it is a informational book so there are a lot of text. I feel like if I were to do a research on the Wright Sister, I would use this book. It is filled with lots of information. I liked how the book is written from beginning to ending. The accomplishments and pictures are also mentioned and seen in the book. I would recommend this book to anyone, who is interested in the Wright Sisters or ...more
Diane
Dec 30, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history lovers
I was looking for a biography of the Wright Brothers for use in class, but all the books about the Wright boys were too technical and detailed in terms of flight. This book contains the requisite explanations of the Wright's flight innovations, but it's more relational and gives a look at the whole family -- brothers, father, and mother as well as Katherine's life long friends. Everyone makes sacrifices for the family and they were close in a way families rarely are today. The contrast of the hi ...more
Marianne
May 28, 2010 Marianne rated it really liked it
Wonderful book about Katharine Wright, sister of Wilbur and Orville. She displays strong moral character throughout her life which makes this book a particularly good read for young women. In a time before women had the right to vote, Katharine did not shun her "traditional" female role in her family but rather excelled in many things while serving them. She was the only Wright to actually graduate from college with a degree! Additionally, though she wanted to be a teacher she took on the role o ...more
Brittiny
Nov 09, 2014 Brittiny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 356-9-16
This book was very interesting. I loved learning about Katherine and her role that she played in history. It was a whole new perspective on the story of the Wright brothers creating flight. It is always good to know that women even in those days, had an important role to play -even if they do not always get acknowledged till much later on. It was a quick read, and the pictures were fascinating to examine. I recommend this to 14 year olds, especially girls.

Warnings: death, going against society,
Michelle
Apr 05, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
If two wrongs don't make a right, what do two (w)rights make? ....Give up? A Airplane! Hahaha.
This book was one that really got me into it pretty quick. You learn about Katherine, the younger sister of the Wright Brothers and their invention of the airplane. It takes you on the journey following her as you learn about what it was like to be their younger sister and the process of them creating what they did. I learned so much. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures that are included because i
Bekah
Aug 22, 2009 Bekah rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun to read! It brought to life Katharine and her much more well-know brothers, Orville and Wilbur Wright. She played an integral part throughout their flying trials, errors, successes and was a very lively person to read about as well. As you read it is obvious that Richard Maurer is a fan of Katharine, but I felt like he did a great job on showing all facets of her life as well as her brothers and father too. There a lot of great pictures too, I especially like the one of Kath ...more
Bjipson
Jul 21, 2015 Bjipson rated it liked it
Having enjoyed McCullough's book, I was interested in this author's take on the family dynamic, and it was slightly different than that of the first one I read on them. This is aimed at young people and, while I enjoyed it, would not seem to me to be a top recommendation. Slightly tangential to the amazing work of the brothers, and I'm not sure that it added much to my understanding of how they accomplished what they did.
Carrie Jenkins
Jan 22, 2009 Carrie Jenkins rated it liked it
I am doing a Project on Katherine Wright and this book is very informational. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the wright brothers and their sister.
I am currently on page 40. The beggining of the book mostly talks about Katherine's life. And her brothers. It don't talk much about contributions to history or obsticals faced. I think that it will talk more about that near the end. I'm excited to see what happened to her during her life.
Val
Jul 15, 2016 Val rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I believe that this book was used as source material for "The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough. Much of this was very familiar to me. It's a much shorter book. There isn't as much original source material to work with. Katharine Wright was an important person at Oberlin College as well as in her brothers' lives. She married late in life, to a man she had known since college. I enjoyed reading about the woman behind the Wright brothers.
David Schultz
May 22, 2012 David Schultz rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-lit
An interesting Biography that follows the story of Katharine Wright, sister to the Wright Brothers. It chronicles her commitment to her brothers and the things she did to help them. but, it also follows her personal life and tells us of the things that occured throughout it.

violence-3
Several accidents occur and there is some death mentioned.

sex-1
people are said to get married and have children

swearing- 0

no real swear words.
Catelynn Hodges
Oct 28, 2014 Catelynn Hodges rated it it was amazing
This book was funny, entertaining, and a joy to read. Growing up, I never knew about that the Wright brothers even had a sister! This was extremely enlightening to me. I enjoyed the little stories about Katherine and her relationship with her father. I am a HUGE daddy's girl and this really touched me. I would recommend this book for 7th grade and up.

**WARNINGS**

(1★-none, 5★-extreme content)
Sue
Mar 12, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sue by: Leslie
Fascinating bio of the little-known, but accomplished, sister of the Wright brothers. She graduated from college at a time when women rarely did that, had a career as a high school Latin teacher, served as secretary to the brothers when they became famous, was a trustee of Oberlin College, and had an interesting life. Well-written bio for young people and good glimpse at the beginnings of aviation.
Kaye
Apr 03, 2016 Kaye rated it liked it
Tells the story of the sister of Orval and Wilbur Wright. She didn't work with them on their flying machine but lived with them and traveled with them to Europe and air shows. Read as kind of a companion to the Wright Brothers after finishing it. She was a teacher and eventually a trustee at a college. Recommended for 4-6th grades.
Brittany
Jul 18, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult-lit
I thought that this book was interesting, I did not even know that the Wright brothers had a sister! It is not a short read at all and can get boring at some points, but it was good. The pictures are interesting to look at it and I enjoyed reading it.

Ages 12+
Sex: None
Violence: None
Language: None
Alcohol: None
Suzette Kunz
Jul 10, 2011 Suzette Kunz rated it really liked it
This young adult nonfiction book tells the story of Katherine Wright, sister to the famous Wilbur and Orville. This is so well written and researched and avoids the heavy-handedness I see in some YA nonfiction. I learned a lot about the brothers in the process, but from Katherine's perspective. Really enjoyed it.
Amaree Wright
Feb 03, 2011 Amaree Wright rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-lit
This was a little slow, but it was a different look at the life of the the Wright brothers through the lens of their sister Katherine. Some of the information I found interesting but some of it I just wanted to get through really fast.
Lori Shook
A good resource for teachers. This book is a bit verbose for elementary students. However, it is still good to have on hand since many people do not know the Wright Brothers had a sister and that she made many sacrifices for her brothers.
Shelly
Mar 22, 2013 Shelly rated it liked it
An interesting book. I didn't know that the Wright Brothers even had a Sister. It was interesting to see the role she played in their success. I also got to know more about the Wright Brothers as well since I have only had the general education of their lives and achievements.
Amy
Oct 28, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning about this sister of the famous Wright brothers, along with some of their families story. I am so glad this book was written and published. I appreciated seeing how much good she did in her seemingly small sphere of influence.
Maria
I've been fascinated with her since I visited the Air and Space Museum in DC a few years ago. While the narrative drug out at times - and there were stretches when the focus was way more on her brothers - I found this an interesting peek into the life of the almost unknown Wright.
Perizada
Aug 28, 2016 Perizada rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!! Chock full of photos and insights into the Wright family. Slightly weak ending but over-all fascinatingly worthy of 5 stars!
Apryl Mason
Apr 09, 2013 Apryl Mason rated it really liked it
This was fascinating! A biography of Katherine Wright, sister to the Wright brothers. Perfect for older kids. I loved it.
Ruth Ellen
Jan 05, 2015 Ruth Ellen rated it it was amazing
a very insightful look into the life of Katherine Wright. the sister to the Wright Brothers. I really enjoyed reading about her work.
Terry
Dec 17, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
wonderful, wonderful. I found this gem while shelving biography books at the elementary school. Well written and Orv and Will's sister deserved a book, indeed!!!
« previous 1 3 next »