Start by marking “Unleashed: Poems by Writers' Dogs” as Want to Read:
Unleashed: Poems by Writers' Dogs

Unleashed: Poems by Writers' Dogs

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Now in paperback, an irresistible gift for dog lovers: poems from the dogs' point of view, written by the well known writers and poets who love them.

List of contributors:
Edward Albee,Jennifer Allen,Danny Anderson,Lynda Barry,Rick Bass,Charles Baxter,Robert Benson,Roy Blount, Jr., Ron Carlson,Jill Ciment,Bernard Cooper,Stephen Dobyns, Mark Doty, Stephen Dunn, Anderson Ferre
Published May 23rd 1995 by Crown Publications

To ask other readers questions about Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unleashed

Kristy
I knew some of the dogs who wrote these--
Corey
Jun 24, 2014 Corey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Miller and John Irving write dog poetry? How have I not hear about this until now?
Beth
I was really looking forward to reading this book, but it really fell flat for me in the expressiveness and emotional impact department. For someone who loves dogs as much as I do, that shows you how flat this book is, if I couldn't personally be moved by the poems. There were only three poems in the whole collection that made me smile or sigh with contentment just a little bit.

The idea behind this book was brilliant, but the execution of it, not so brilliant.
A. Gamble
Jan 27, 2009 A. Gamble rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A. Gamble by: Russ at Bienville Books
Shelves: animals
A great read! I laughed, I cried, and I looked at my dog just a little bit differently after reading this book. A few of the poems are especially good; "The Odyssey" and "Shelter" are two of these, as is the "story" about a dog that eats a bowl of dough and goes to sit in the sun. Also, dogs are Buddhists, and I'm glad the authors in the "theology" (perhaps it should be called dogma?) section realized this fact.
Molly
Apparently, many writers' dogs like to write in patterns, particularly with rhyme and in villanelle form. There were more opportunities, I believe, that weren't quite taken--the funny was not strong (funny is hard), a little too unspecific but still familiar. Perhaps this book was more charming in concept, in the introduction, than in actuality.

Favorites were the poems by Alicia Munoz and (of course) Maxine Kumin.
Amanda
Does for poetry what "Marley and Me" did for memoir. Endearing, heart warming and poignant, I laughed until I cried and cried until I cried some more. I'd recommend it to any dog lover. Have a tissue box handy for the last section!
Laura Leaney
So insightful! Sample poem by Karen Shepard (owner of Labrador Retriever named Birch):

I'll eat that.
Jen
What can I say? I like poems about dogs. Or by dogs. Beaglesongs.
Luke
I mainly wanted to read this for Amy Hempel's poem (also Denis Johnson), and even though hers was the shortest poem in the entire collection the picture of her sharing an ice cream cone with her dog was worth it alone. My 3 standouts were Drunk Dog by Erin McGraw, A War Poem by Jennifer Allen, and my personal favorite The Odyssey by Rick Bass. I can honestly say this is the best collection of dog poetry I've ever read.
Abby
Charming collection of poems from the perspective of writers' beloved dogs. Particularly happy to see some of my favorites (Maxine Kumin, Mark Doty) included in this book.
Kellie
An interesting book of poetry, "written" by the writer's dogs. I liked a few, disliked quite a few, skipped one, and the rest just weren't that memorable.

My favorites were Homer's Odyssey and this one by Karen Shepard, because my dog could have written it!

I'll eat that.
Carrie
a wonderful collection of poems/stories written by dogs (dog owners). my favorite is about a large poodle named bob barker who ate a brownie of his owners. woops, brownie was made with lsd and his story will have you laughing as he trips blissed out talking about food food food and how much he loves his master.
Koeeoaddi
Wuff! I really wanted to love this book. I did smile a few times, but didn't find the stand out poems I expected and many of the poems just fell flat. Worse still, the Dunn poem that I pinned my hopes on was down right depressing. Not bad -- I don't think he could write a bad poem -- but bleak. Oh well...
Maya
A mixed bag, as all anthologies are, but with some so wonderful & true that they broke my heart or had me laughing so hard I cried. Great for poetry nights.
Ruth
I was disappointed in this book, after the glowing reviews I'd read. It's been long enough now that I don't remember why it didn't resonate with me.

R
Maureen
"Life is never meaningless/Because there's always food. Consider kibble,/its taste, its smell, its mood."
Christopher
Wonderful collection of poems "written" by poets' dogs. Funny, moving and inspiring!
Christina Borgoyn
a wonderful collection of poems from a dog's perspective
Patricia Geller
Hysterical book of poems written by author's "dogs".
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Norm Jenson
Norm Jenson is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
hythm alrys
hythm alrys marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • The Haiku Anthology
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
  • Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation
  • Say Uncle
Amy Hempel is an American short story writer, journalist, and university professor at Brooklyn College. Hempel was a former student of Gordon Lish, who eventually helped her publish her first collection of short stories. Hempel has been published in Harper's, Vanity Fair, GQ, and Bomb. She is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, as well as the Ambassador Book Award in 2007, the Rea Award for ...more
More about Amy Hempel...
The Collected Stories Reasons to Live Tumble Home: A Novella and Short Stories The Dog of the Marriage: Stories At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom: Stories