Start by marking “Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now” as Want to Read:
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now

Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  6,749 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
Maya Angelou, one of the best-loved authors of our time, shares the wisdom of a remarkable life in this best-selling spiritual classic. This is Maya Angelou talking from the heart, down to earth and real, but also inspiring. This is a book to treasured, a book about being in all ways a woman, about living well, about the power of the word, and about the power do ...more
Published May 12th 1997 by Bantam (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now

Animal Farm by George OrwellThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Quick Reads
231st out of 683 books — 570 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Best Novels in Female Perspective
410th out of 524 books — 384 voters

More lists with this book...

Mohsin Maqbool
Sep 15, 2016 Mohsin Maqbool rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Maya Angelou, author of the best-selling books I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Gather Together in My Name, and the Heart of a Woman, has also written several collections of poetry, including Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water ’fore I Diiie. She read her poem On the Pulse of Morning at the inauguration of President William Jefferson Clinton on January 20, 1993. She also wrote 10 one-hour programmes for the television series called ‘Blacks, Blues, Blacks’, which highlight Africanisms still ...more
Anna Todd
Jun 08, 2011 Anna Todd rated it really liked it
Ms. Angelou shares a lot of wisdom in this book...I love it where she states, "We need to have the courage to say that obesity is not funny, vulgarity is not amusing, insolent children and submissive parents are not the characters we want to admire and emulate. Flippancy and sarcasm are not the only ways in which conversation can be conducted."
Arlene
May 23, 2012 Arlene rated it really liked it
I started reading this during a short train ride. Chapter one: In All Ways A Woman. I drank it up, and then I thought and thought and thought. and then I went to my writing group, and started to talk. And I haven't stopped talking about it. Granted, every chapter is short. Every theme, random. But each makes me think. Use it for your morning meditations or read one chapter per train ride.
Cheryl
Aside from a scene at the bar, when the narrator has a breakdown after realizing that despite her stardom she is alone and without a date, I didn't go on an experience in this book--like I do with Maya Angelou's books.
Yossie
Nov 24, 2014 Yossie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what I expected. The pieces in here are like journal, note-to-self entries for the writer's records, only that some of the thoughts will inspire whosoever picks it up. Otherwise, pretty "meh."
Amy Bocage
Jan 26, 2008 Amy Bocage rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel good to be a woman. The life lessons are wonderful. The chapters are short, but each one pertains to life and our journey through it.
Rachel
Nov 12, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of Maya Angelou's meditations on a broad range of subjects, from health to manners to memories. I picked it up expecting a quick read, but was unprepared for how quick it really is: there's really very little content, and her meditations are generally only a few paragraphs long. And there wasn't much of a unifying theme, either -- she picks up just about any topic, it seems, offers a few thoughts on the matter, then drops it just as quickly.

She seems not to be quite as
Lennie
Aug 27, 2011 Lennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou discusses life and some of the lessons she’s learned along the way. Faith, racism, grieving, and respect are just a few of the topics included in this book.

While most of the lessons this author speaks about were inspiring, there was one in particular which I liked the most. It has to do with moving in new directions. Sometimes you come to a point in which you are not satisfied with the way your life is headed or with the choices you have in front of you. When that happens, Angelou s
Nomy
Nov 29, 2007 Nomy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grandmas or people who wouldnt read a whole memoir
after reading "i know why the caged bird sings" and "singin and swingin and gettin merry..." this fall, i was excited to read the final paperback that came in this box set that i borrowed from my mom. i read the whole thing while sitting at the free ear acupuncture clinic on monday. i was kinda disappointed. the book is dedicated to oprah and it feels clear that it is targeted towards her audience - little "pearls of wisdom" rather than whole stories. of course it's still maya angelou so there ...more
Jan Marquart
Apr 27, 2011 Jan Marquart rated it it was amazing
For anyone who hasn't read Maya Angelou I'd run to the closest bookstore. I've read all her books, as I do when I like any author, and I have to say Maya Angelou is beautiful and gracious in all of her books as well as in person. I saw her once in Santa Cruz, Ca. and once in New Mexico and I often think about the regal presence she gave in her presentations. Both a poet and memoir writer, her books speak about life and love and hardship and they don't mess around. In Wouldn't Take Nothing for my ...more
Patti
Apr 10, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
This is fabulous. I was given this as a gift nearly 20 years ago when I was still in my teens, and just re-read it recently. Full of essays and prose about womanhood, bravery, kindness and confidence. This was my introduction to Maya Angelou, and reading it the second time was as wonderful of an experience as reading it the first time. You can hear her voice - wise and soothing - as you read it, which is an added treat. This is an excellent gift for a woman of any age, especially for a young ...more
Wendy
Sep 20, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
I really like the book. She is a great woman who had a lot of wise things to share. One of my favorite quotes from the book is “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.”

I think this book would make a great gift for a young person just starting out their journey in life.
Anna
Apr 11, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Liked this book by Maya Angelou. It was filled with short essays about her experiences and about women. The snippets she provided about her own life picqued my interest to the point that I might see if she has a bio or autobio out there. Update: she has 6 autobiographies. Guess I'll start with 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'.
Ayla (I'm not here)
Jan 05, 2014 Ayla (I'm not here) rated it really liked it
loved this book, a quick wonderful read.
the book is a bout life, and Maya Angelou tells it by short stories, situations and poems

Therese
Oct 19, 2011 Therese rated it really liked it
(Read 6/2009) "Wouldn't Take Nothing for my Journey Now" and "Even the Stars Look Lonesome" by Maya Angelou. These two works are not part of the autobiographical series (six books) that begins with "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." The two books I am discussing here are more like a collection of small vignettes which discuss various topics.

The wonderful thing about these two works and the later book of the same style, "Letter to my Daughter," is that they are chock full of sage advice and that
Bryce Holt
Mar 27, 2015 Bryce Holt rated it it was ok
What an inane little chapbook this is. If you pulled out all the blank pages, wasted space and chapter titles, I bet this wouldn't end up being 45 pages. It's not to say that the ideas in here aren't good, but they do make this beautiful brain that is Maya Angelou look simple, disjointed and un-put-together (and I've read "Caged Bird" so I know better). Knowing that it couldn't be further from the truth, that is an absolute tragedy.

You want to know the worst part? It looks like she did this for
Nicole
Mar 22, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing

It's hard to find words to describe how much I loved this book but I'll do my best.
Reading this was like talking deeply with a favorite aunt, a wise grandmother, a best friend, and a sister all rolled into one. The wisdom in these words emanates from the woman, that if I'm very lucky, I'll grow to be one day.
There are books that just feel good to read, that bring us back to ourselves and remind us about the existence of our soul. Maya angelo reminds us that everything we do, every seed we sew,
Kelly Stalions
Apr 06, 2016 Kelly Stalions rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to read on a lazy vacation in Maryland. I picked it up from a bookshelf in the guest room at the Martin's home. I began reading as I ate a fresh, warm bagel for breakfast. I finished an hour later.

Some of my favorite parts...
- the story of Miss Annie Johnson who blazed her own trail
- Momma's (Maya's grandmother) comments about complainers
- the chapter about "Getups" ie. fashion

Quotes:
"We are more alike, my friends,
Than we are unalike."

"Life is pure adventure, and the sooner
April
Aug 28, 2016 April rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was short and sweet, a collection of essays/tidbits of wisdom that Ms. Angelou collected throughout her life. Some of the tidbits were a little cliche, but others really hit home for me.

This is a very short book - I finished it in about 30 minutes - but it's one I will reread. Love Maya Angelou. :)
Sabrina
Aug 11, 2009 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sheryl George, and Roz Templin
Recommended to Sabrina by: Librarian
I love reading this book. It is so heart-warming. My favorite chapters are In the Spirit, Jealousy, and A Day Away. All three of these chapters really touched me. I wish that everyone could read this simply antedotes on living well. It would be a better place.
Natalee
Dec 29, 2014 Natalee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this little book 5 out of 5. I really enjoyed it and now wish to own a copy of my own. It was quick and easy to read and made me think a lot. I'd struggle to find a favourite part as I enjoyed it all. A must read for me.
Michelle
Sep 23, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
While I love Maya Angelou, this books seemed a little scattered and piecemeal. I would prefer to see her choose a few of the topics she writes about in the book and delve into them further. It was an okay read, but not my favorite of her works.
Shannon
Feb 07, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to (almost) anyone. It's incredibly uplifting, full of generosity that we sometimes lack in our day to day lives. I think everyone can learn something from her stories.
Lori Frank
Jun 12, 2016 Lori Frank rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by how concisely written but yet how much wisdom filled the pages that I was forced to take time at the end of each chapter to reflect on the magnitude of her statements.
Carol
Jul 25, 2008 Carol rated it liked it
Short chapters containing her thoughts on being a woman, spirituality and society today. I took several quotes from it. A book that can be put down but worth reading.
Nicole
Jun 28, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was a short book but so many good things. As always, I learned something about myself. I cannot describe how the narrative touch me as I think it will be different for everyone.
Sherri
Feb 03, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Perfection!
Linda Spyhalski
Nov 12, 2016 Linda Spyhalski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2016
This is an older book that I picked off my shelves. Interesting it was very pertinent to the present time. It consisted of small essays written as only Maya can. One essay called Our Boys contained the following: "The Plague of racism as smoothly and quietly and invisible as floating airborne microbes enter into our bodies to find lifelong purchase in our bloodstreams." Sadly as I write this racism is hardly quiet!
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Nov 10, 2016 Laura Hoffman Brauman rated it it was amazing
Just the right book at just the right time. Almost every essay in here touched on worries and concerns from the last few days and provided comfort, perspective, and hope. Angelou just moved to the top of my list of authors to turn to when I need help processing and proceeding.
Kevin
Nov 07, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing
A short, easy, and very quick read. It is filled to bursting with the important knowledge and wisdom that only Maya could provide. It will go into my list of books that have changed the way I think about life.
Book Review 1 4 Dec 06, 2015 07:25PM
  • Den of Lions: A Startling Memoir of Survival and Triumph
  • Living Faith
  • The Cancer Journals
  • Homemade Love
  • Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts
  • Writing a Woman's Life
  • Acolytes
  • Let Nobody Turn Us Around: Voices on Resistance, Reform, and Renewal an African American Anthology
  • Finding Fish
  • Homegirls and Handgrenades
  • Marilyn
  • Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting: Real Talk for When There's Nowhere to Go But Up
  • Written by Herself: Autobiographies of American Women: An Anthology
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was ...more
More about Maya Angelou...

“What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain.” 14007 likes
“Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.” 473 likes