Start by marking “Sparks: An Urban Fairytale” as Want to Read:
Sparks: An Urban Fairytale

Sparks: An Urban Fairytale

Dislillusioned by the drabness and difficulty of her life, Jo builds "the perfect man" out of old car parts. When this junk-man magically comes to life, it's up to Jo to teach him about the world. Sparks is the story of a girl trying to fit in and, with the help of a man made of junk, find her own identity.
Published September 1st 2002 by SLG Publishing (first published August 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sparks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparks

Jan Philipzig
What It Means to Be Human

This is the story of Jo, a young car mechanic who has experienced nothing but neglect and abuse for as long as she can remember, yet still holds on to her romantic ideals. After a particularly long and sad day at work, she decides to take drastic measures and build herself a "knight in shining armor" from scraps and junk. And since this is a fairy tale, a bolt of lightning magically animates her junk-man, allowing for an unusual relationship to develop - one that ultimat
Melki
Once upon a time in the deep, dark forest drab, filthy city, a princess young woman was held captive by an ogre her father. Our unhappy Cinderella Jo longed to be popular and refined like all the other girls, but she also wanted to follow her own heart, repairing machinery and learning about the heavens.

This is a dark and absorbing fairy tale where not all princesses wear gowns and Prince Charming may not be handsome, or even human. And though the ending is bittersweet rather than happily ever
Seth T.
Aug 20, 2008 Seth T. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Marvit's Sparks received an award from Friends of Lulu in 2000 for, I imagine, its portrayal of a quality female role. And whatever the specifics of the award, I'm sure Sparks merited it.

It never ceases to amaze me how little recognized the book is. The so-called urban faery-tale remains among that elite and fabled coalition of five-star comics—despite the fact that no one's ever heard of it. I've been singing its praises for seven years now and every last person who's read it on my recommendat
Josh
Jan 28, 2013 Josh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a ray of light in the darkness
This is a poignant, often sad fantasy about the life of a girl who considers herself a failure, leading a fairly miserable life even with her skills and a decent job. It truly lives up to its moniker of fairy tale, for it is as all good lore: Gritty, supernatural, with a few morals to impart and a decidedly imperfect ending.

It begins by introducing the characters, the young woman Jo, her drugged-up mother, her domineering cop father, her coworkers at the shop. She is an ace at fixing cars, but d
Zack
Aug 12, 2007 Zack rated it it was amazing
One of the most underrated graphic novels of the last decade, SPARKS is a tremendous and heartbreaking achievement. Marvit's tale of a sad young female mechanic who builds her perfect metal man -- who, in turn comes to life -- is a wonderful exploration of what makes us human, and the struggle that comes with pursuing our dreams. Despite the cartoony art, it's not for kids -- there are some instances of nudity, swearing and violence -- but it's done in a context that is necessary for the story. ...more
Rachel
Nov 14, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Loved this graphic novel! It had an unique story, about a lonely mechanic girl who lives with a very abusive dad who's a cop and a mother who doesn't do anything to stop her abusive husband from terrorizing her or her daughter. Josephine designs a robot called Galahad to be her companion and teaches him about mythology and astronomy, and in doing so she becomes fascinated with the stars. The ending was sad, but fitting.
Rosa
This book was a cross between Pinocchio and Cinderella. True to the original idea behind fairy tales as warnings, Jo's tale is a harsh one involving corrupt cops, abuse and depression. The illustrations are beautiful although some of the back grounds can be a little bit too busy. Definitely a great read.
Wandering Librarians
This was quite a lovely story. Sad, romantic, uplifting, heartwarming. I think everyone should read this because it was wonderful. I thought that the artwork was perfect for the storyline - clean lines, almost child-like faces - fantastic for the overall fairytale theme that ran throughout the story. Awesome. This was really quite perfect.
Cindy
Aug 03, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was one of the earliest graphic novels I'd read, and it is one of the most prized books on my bookshelf because I hardly ever see it anywhere. The story and the characters are so human and so ultimately tragic that I've cried every time I've reread it.
I can't believe how few ratings there are of this book -- I really cannot recommend it enough.
karinajean
Jun 12, 2011 karinajean rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2011
I really enjoyed the book, and especially the main character - but I haven't read any other graphic novels where there's so much detail in the drawings and such a well developed text narrative too - so it was kind of hard to read! more work than I'm accustomed to. but worth it.
Peacegal
Jan 25, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is quite a story--there's quite a bit going on here. It might, in fact, be too busy for its own good. A highly sympathetic and relatable main character, however--I only wish her face was more expressive.
Kay
Sep 19, 2013 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Got this book at the library on a whim and I loved it. I really connect with Jo, myself being 20 years old and still finding where I fit in this world. I think I'll have to read it a second time before I return it.
Scott
Jun 17, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great drawings, fast-paced and romantic storytelling. But the sex and language throw off the enjoyment of everything else.
Bobby
Oct 01, 2007 Bobby rated it liked it
The story is creative and Jo is an excellent character. The majority of the illustrations, however, simply tell the story and do not necessarily enhance the depth of the novel.
Marianna
Apr 13, 2011 Marianna rated it it was ok
Shelves: one-time-read
I didn't love the heroine or the story that much. I just found it hard to like.
Paweena
Paweena rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Yu Ming
Yu Ming rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
R Scott Steele
R Scott Steele rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2010
Amalia Angellinni
Amalia Angellinni rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
C.E. G
C.E. G rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2011
Karoline
Karoline rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2009
Squazzy
Squazzy rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2009
Jaime the Wizzard
Jaime the Wizzard rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2010
Neal D.
Neal D. rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Keith Veilleux
Keith Veilleux rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Katie Garcia
Katie Garcia rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013