Start by marking “An Abundance of Katherines” as Want to Read:
An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  292,784 Ratings  ·  18,319 Reviews
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washedup child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-lovin ...more
Published October 16th 2008 by Speak (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about An Abundance of Katherines, please sign up.

Raleigh Rand Colin was annoying but started to become endearing. I loved it when Hassan told him how selfish he was then later decided that he (Hassan) was the…moreColin was annoying but started to become endearing. I loved it when Hassan told him how selfish he was then later decided that he (Hassan) was the selfish one. He was right on both accounts. Colin really wants to be normal. Not really a genius or a prodigy. He just wants to be normal. We know this because he follows Hassan's cues as to what to how to act normal. Hassan tells him this is the way to act and no, never say that. So Colin is happy to follow the guidelines. He wants guidelines, as opposed to what his father wants and that is for Colin to be more than he ever was, and to be a genius. Colin is trying hard to live up to his father's expectations. The roadtrip ends up being wonderful for him because he finally finds himself. Away from his hovering, over-expectant parents. (less)
Paakhi I actually found his whining justifiable, given the circumstances he was in. I mean he had been dumped by eighteen Katherines, he wasn't prodigy and…moreI actually found his whining justifiable, given the circumstances he was in. I mean he had been dumped by eighteen Katherines, he wasn't prodigy and he thought he's never be a genius and he also had the chronic disease of wanting to matter to the world. I feel the every protagonist John writes about wants to matter, but anyway, I think Collin's whining isn't bad.
After thinking about it, he doesn't really whine that much. And Hassan always makes everything funny anyway, so. (less)

Dawn
Jan 26, 2009 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Things that I was sick of by the end of this book:

1. Anagrams and tangents
2. Use of the words jewfro, fug, fugger, fugging, kafir
3. Colin's whining--actually, Colin in general
4. Katherines
Megs ♥

This was by far the worst experience I've ever had reading a John Green book. I really always enjoy his writing and humor, but this one just didn't do anything for me.

I don't think the book was horrible, but it couldn't hold my attention too long so I was happy it was very short. If it was any longer I probably wouldn't have finished it. I couldn't stand Colin. He was annoying and whiny and just because he acknowledges that fact himself doesn't mean it makes it any less annoying to read about. H
Kim
Oct 30, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Colin Singleton is not a vampire or a werewolf or a sorcerer or a punning Austin zombie. He doesn’t live in a dystopian society, he hasn’t slept with his teacher. He doesn’t do drugs, his parents aren’t divorced, and he’s suffered no traumas unless you count being dumped by a slew (okay, nineteen) of girls named Katherine.

So, why am I reading this? I have been programmed to only care about supernatural cute boys. I call this my mid life crisis. If I give in and self analyze, I would say that I’
Etnik
description

____________________________________________

____________________________________________

description

2 DISAPPOINTING STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

You don't know what expectations I had about this book.I have read other John Green's book like Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars and really liked them especially the first

Maggie Stiefvater
As a YA author, I'd heard the name "John Green" whispered in the YA wind for months, but I'd never picked up one of his books until I read a synopsis for AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES online. My husband, a pretty reluctant reader, snitched it from me and devoured it, so I was expecting great things.

I wasn't disappointed. This story of a boy struggling to come up with a theory that describes the arc of his 19 relationships with girls named Katherine was, in many places, laugh out loud funny. Even wi
Emma
Sep 08, 2007 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a fun read
Picture this: You used to be a childhood prodigy. Member of an academic game team. You excelled in school. You were special. You met a girl named Katherine and the two of you started dating.

Then she dumps you.

Then eighteen more girls named Katherine dump you.

Suddenly, you're a teenager with no claim to fame except for your former status as a prodigy. No new ideas. No girl. No plans for the summer excepting wasting away in your room and moping.

This is not your life. But it is Colin Singleton's li
Josu
Sep 05, 2015 Josu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-septiembre
Un libro sin nada que contar, nada original y que carece de trama. Empecemos por el protagonista, Colin, siendo un clon del resto de personajes de John Green. No eres un personaje interesante para nada. Pero eso no es lo gracioso, lo gracioso es saber que es feo, raro, antisocial... ¿y me tengo que creer que ha tenido 19 novias? D-I-E-C-I-N-U-E-V-E. Sí, es todo muy realista. Él es un fucker, y encima casi todas sus novias han sido guapas e incluso ha estado con alguna popular. ME MEO ENCIMA.

Tene
Simcsa
I tried. I really did, believe me! But I can't do it, it's boring, it has no plot whatsoever and I don't like any of the characters. I'm not going to torture myself..
Anna
Apr 18, 2008 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not really sure who
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I was not terribly impressed with Katherines. I read Green's Looking For Alaska and thought it was one of the best young adult novels I have ever read SO I was expecting this book to measure up to a higher standard. Unfortunately, it did not even come close.

Here's my beef with the book:

1) The characters. I had a really hard time getting into Katherines because the characters were not too likable. Green gave the characters personalities, but he missed something in the character development categ
Darth J
Apr 15, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was my first John Green book. I get his appeal in that he can create characters that, although very different from us, can somehow resonate with our emotions and experiences.

I ordered this book used on Amazon, and as luck would have it before when I got an autographed Rainbow Rowell book, I somehow was fortunate enough to score a first edition of this one:

Apparently, a first edition of one of his early books is a big deal, or so I’m told...

On to the story: we have a prodigy who has just
Priscilla
Mar 11, 2011 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
There's so much John Green-ness in this book, I love it :)

1. Love the footnotes
2. Love Hassan
3. Love dialogue
4. Love the story

Fuggin right.

Check out my video review!
Erin
Dec 08, 2013 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Had I been reading this on paper instead of my computer, it probably would have gone into the fireplace here: "She was incredibly hot--in that popular-girl-with-bleached-teeth-and-anorexia kind of way, which was Colin's least favorite way of being hot." And if somehow it had survived that initial immolation, I definitely would have shredded it for birdcage fodder (and I don't even own a bird!) here: "She looked prettier than she ever had before--Colin always preferred girls without makeup."

This
Scarlet
2.5

Here are some things I’ve realized after reading AAoK:

1. John Green is a talented, clever writer with a great sense of humor.

2. Contrary to what I’d like to think, I’m still math-phobic.

3. I’ll never, ever date a has-been child prodigy. Or a washed-up genius. Or a whiny guy who speaks 11 languages. Or whatever it is that Colin’s supposed to be.

An Abundance of Katherines is a hilarious book but it did not make me laugh. Okay, maybe a little but that was more like snorting-in-mild-amusement tha
Cory
Dec 04, 2013 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book sitting on my desk for two months. I'm a huge John Green fan, so you can see why this is problematic.

The Albuquerque library system is pretty bad. Out of all the libraries systems I've ever used, this has to be the worst. Not only does it not stock any of Justine Larbalestier's books, but it also doesn't have a decent collection of John Green's books.

It took me three months to get a copy of An Abundance of Katherines. It took me two months to finish it. Actually, that's a lie
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I may be one thousand years old, but I still love John Green books.

Commercial Photography

I read An Abundance of Katherines before I even knew who John Green was. Remember - I’m 1,000, so cut me some slack people! Over the past several years it has come to my attention that almost everyone else considers this to be the lesser of all of the Green works, which had me questioning my mental state (or whether or not I was intoxicated) the first time I read this
Natalie Monroe
A reenactment of the moment An Abundance of Katherines was conceived:

John Green sat at his desk, quietly contemplating the ghettoization of scrambled eggs as a breakfast food and brainstorming ideas for his new book.

His last novel, Looking for Alaska, had done moderately well, but he wanted to do something different this time. Something to show his critics that he wasn't a one-trick pony yet out-of-there enough to show his nerdfighters that he was one of them. An outsider, a man of the people.

H
Andi
Feb 07, 2016 Andi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Yup. I'm still not a John Green fan.

One thing I have noticed about the characters John Green creates in his novels: they're too quirky, they're smart (this one in particular has an overly smart character) and they talk in quips. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE. At least not all the time. I think this is John's way of incorporating himself into his books.

Most YA readers see John Green as the best author ever, but his books are not that unique and his characters are the same with a few minor
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Check out this audiobook!

I received a hard-disc copy of this audiobook for free in exchange for my honest opinion. Full review to come.

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. I think listening to this book as an audiobook really enhanced my experience while indulging in the story. Because of that, I would really like to thank Brilliance Audio for sending me a copy of the audiobook, it made me enjoy the book so much more than I would've if I had physically the book. My favori
Tatiana
Oct 11, 2009 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Green fans and those who love math and anagrams
Shelves: 2009, ya, ala-ya-2007, printz
If you are familiar with John Green, you probably already know his winning formula: a nerdy nice guy with a funny side-kick best friend, meets and falls in love with a mysterious popular but ultimately unhappy girl, then some kind of road trip ensues during which a life altering realization is achieved.

"An Abundance of Katherines" is no exception. Only this time the nerdy guy (Colin) is not that endearing (unlike Miles in "Looking For Alaska" or Quentin in "Paper Town"), the funny side-kick (Ha
Jun 27, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This was definitely my least favourite book by John Green.

For starters, Colin was absolutely unbearable. I disliked him so much and I hated listening to his inner monologue. He was so pretentious, arrogant, self-centred and he was just plain horrible. I didn't like the constant anagrams, maths, graphs or his theorem rants. This book didn't really have much of a plot apart from focusing on Colin and so I just didn't like it. His constant ramblings about Katherine drove me up the wall. He compare
Krissa
Jan 31, 2008 Krissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I already said this in a review but I might just need a break from young adult fiction, because everyone I know who reads YA raved about this novel and I read it from cover to cover without once really engaging, and with far too many inward groans and eye-rolls.

I mean, for starters, the quirky teenaged characters were, um, very quirky. Very reliably quirky. Everyone had their schtick and everyone talked like they were in a Joss Wheden show. And hey, I LOVE Joss Whedon but it's a differen
Erica
I fully understand that disliking a John Green book is tantamount to asking to be shot in the head, tarred-n-feathered, and thrown in a flaming box over a cliff into a gorge of molten lava. I know that, I get that, I apologize to all whose lives I've destroyed with my hatredy.
But, man, I did NOT like this book.

I'm going to start by saying that from the outset of Colin's theory of dumpativity, I understood - and thought he would, too...like, immediately - that these things only work in reverse. I
Madeline
Mar 12, 2010 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my roommates is a huge John Green fan, and after first introducing me to the series of videos he does with his brother (search "vlogbrothers" on Youtube or just watch this one), she told me that I should probably read some of his books. She suggested An Abundance of Katherines to start with, maintaining that it's better than Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. (incidentally, can anyone verify/disprove this claim? Just wondering)

So I read it, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. And since
ily
This book is ABSURD. The main character is some quirky prodigy kid who gets dumped by girls named Katherines. He goes on about some non-sense theory who might help him predict future relationships. He is smart, loves anagrams, and uses words no other teenager has ever heard of. You know what?

Kate
May 30, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Math geeks and misunderstood nerds of all ages
Damn, what a great book! An Abundance of Katherines represents the best kind of young adult fiction - the kind that even my regular, non-YA-fic-geeky grown-up friends might like to read, because it's just a fantastic, universal, well-crafted story.

The characters in this book are uniformly likeable, but not in a bland way; in particular, the friendship between protagonist Colin, a washed-up child prodigy, and his buddy Hassan, a wise-cracking Muslim, is dead-on about the way guys communicate wit
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I've read so far five books written by John Green including this one. Sad to say, this book is at the bottom of my list.

I never thought I'd say this of John Green's books but this one bored me quite a bit and I had to slightly struggle to finish it.

What I like about it though is mainly the main character's skill in anagramming. I like that he's so smart, a child prodigy as he puts it. I guess that's the main advantage of reading John Green's books. You never really go empty handed after every
Isamlq
Mar 05, 2011 Isamlq rated it really liked it
Read Count 2:

Funny. Painfully funny. If you have never read a John Green novel, I suppose getting started with Katherines would not be a bad idea. Yes, Collin is a whiny self centered washed up prodigy... but at least he admits it. And if he does get to you, and he did get to me at times... the other characters tend to make up for his lack. I loved, loved, loved reading this story again... perfect road trip material... i had to bite my cheek several times to keep from laughing out loud... then
Kaella
Mar 12, 2008 Kaella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I really, REALLY, REALLY wanted to love this book. I really did. As a nerdfighter, I was ecstatic when I started reading it. But right from the beginning, I knew it was going to be a big disappointment. And I was right.

It's definitely not as good as Looking for Alaska. Colin (not TOC) is just plain annoying. He's always got something matter-of-fact to say and it makes you roll your eyes after the third time. He was hard to like. Also, the footnotes drove me CRAZY. Despite them being a secret app
Drew Cernava
“That’s who you really like. The people you can think out loud in front of.”

I really should have read this sooner, because John Green didn't fail to deliver another excellent depiction of the carefree and incredibly complex life of teenagers.

This time the quirky and hilarious narrative follows Colin, who has just been dumped for the nineteenth time. Colin can't seem to help falling in love with girls named Katherine, but it always ends the same way for him: with his heart broken.

I loved Colin
RandomAnthony
Nov 10, 2010 RandomAnthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Before you read this review you should read Kim’s excellent review of the same book. No, seriously, you should. Here’s a link:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... )

Dear Kim,

Thank you for recommending An Abundance of Katherines. I read the novel late last week and over the weekend, finishing off with a one hundred page marathon Sunday afternoon while I let my kids play video games and watch television unsupervised so I could reach the end. You know that magic “holy FUCK, I just read a great
  • Suite Scarlett (Scarlett, #1)
  • Going Bovine
  • Tales of the Madman Underground
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Totally Joe (The Misfits, #2)
  • The Gospel According to Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #1)
  • Fat Kid Rules the World
  • A Wreath for Emmett Till
  • The Kingdom on the Waves (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #2)
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
  • A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
  • Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, #1)
  • Mexican WhiteBoy
  • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily, #1)
  • Spanking Shakespeare
  • The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl (The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, #1)
  • Many Stones
  • A Step from Heaven

John Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New
More about John Green...

“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.” 15852 likes
“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” 10516 likes