Start by marking “Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  31,697 Ratings  ·  2,139 Reviews

StarHearts, as fans of Josephine Angelini call themselves, will stay up all night reading Dreamless, the second book in the bestselling Starcrossed series. The saga mixes mythology, romance, action, and intrigue in a completely original way.

Dreamless continues the story of Helen Hamilton, a shy girl living on Nantucket Island whose desire for an ordinary life was thwarted

Published May 29th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dreamless, please sign up.

Brinkley I've only read Starcrossed, and I rated it three stars, but I NEED THIS TV SHOW!
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Best of the YA Greek Mythology Books
12th out of 134 books — 145 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Gatekeeper's Sons by Eva PohlerHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
YA Books With Greek Mythology
24th out of 88 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
The way the first book ended makes me wanna cry. Poor Helen and Lucas. I want them to be together!

I NEED this book! Soon. Like now!! Or yesterday, whichever is best!

may 29
Aug 30, 2012 Demo marked it as paused-at-the-moment  ·  review of another edition
Aug 13, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Simple Mathematics People: Helen is 17 years old…Ajax died 19 years ago…HOW CAN HE BE HER FATHER? They can't even subtract 17 from 19? This better get resolved early in the book.

Oh no…a love triangle. Didn't see that coming -.- Angelini, please do it tastefully!

So this is a link to an email from Angelini that actually does clear up this date discrepancy. Thank you to Angela who emailed the author!

After reading:
I can't. Form. Comple
Annabelle Marie Veronica
****FINAL RATING: 3.60 STARS****

I loved Dreamless so much more than Starcrossed, although I was still disappointed with several aspects of it unfortunately. Still, it was an excellent read and I genuinely enjoyed it. I felt that it was an extremely well-done second installment and I was especially impressed by the character development.

Helen grows a lot in this book. Unfortunately, it's a rather slow growth, and it takes a while to really get into it. She starts out u
Dec 29, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Now that I've read Starcrossed I'm really excited about this. Hopefully Helen and Lucas will be told that they are not cousins(and why has nobody else figured it out? I could have sworn like 3 people told her that Ajax died 19 years ago and there was the picture of Jerry kissing Daphne's pregnant stomach!)
"That's All" Ash
 photo despicableme.gif

Hold on a sec while I pick my jaw up off the floor…

I’m suffering from one GARGANTUAN (love that word) book hangover. Seriously, I’m a mess. You can’t see me right now, but my hair is doing that I’ve-never-heard-of-a-brush thing, and my clothes are direly craving the ironing board (that I never use), and my emotions are off somewhere crying in a corner begging for a shot or bottle of Tequila.

And the buttprint on my very comfy couch is getting larger. I’d like to think that the largeness of
As an unforgettable love triangle emerges...

[image error]

A........ a love triangle?!?!?!?

After spending about three weeks researching for an hour-long presentation about Helen and Paris and knowing how their relationship truly was (which I will be editing on my Starcrossed review very soon), I hate this book even more, and she had to add a love triangle into this already jumbled up, mixed up mess?!

[image error]

Cait • A Page with a View
Ok, I will totally admit I adore these books. It's like the Greek mythology version of Twilight except all of these demigod/scion teens and adults in Nantucket are carrying out a modern version of the events at Troy. The story is so wonderfully clever in parts and is still the best YA Greek mythology retelling I've found! (Ok, Percy Jackson & Co are awesome too, but I read this one first so I'll always love it more).

Basic plot: Helen spends a lot of time descending to Hades in her sleep whe
Khanh (the Grinch)
"'Please,' she sobbed quietly. 'Just kill me now.'"

Oh, Helen, my dear. I would if I could, if only so this book could end sooner and I didn't have to suffer through a month of reading it.

The main thing I can recall about reading this book is that it was so incredibly boring. It took me so long reading it, trudging through it by bits and pieces at a time because it was so completely, utterly unabsorbing. I'm always amazed at how a plot-driven book can be so dull, but this book proves that it can
Google, define "sophomore slump" for me, please.
"A sophomore slump or sophomore jinx refers to an instance in which a second, or sophomore, effort fails to live up to the standards of the first effort."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the antithesis of a sophomore slump. Angelini steps up the action and the passion and the sizzling tension in DREAMLESS; in fact, breathing isn't an option. You'll be holding the air in your lungs and turning pages faster than you can believe.
Helen Hamilton just can't
Sarah Dieng
Jul 28, 2012 Sarah Dieng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am looking forward to reading this one after loving the first one. You find out near the end of the first that Daphne lied about Helen being Ajax's daughter so her and Lucas are not cousins. I just hope they found out soon that they can be together. Can't wait for this one! Great job Josephine!
Sep 17, 2014 Lucia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I liked in first book was not present in this instalment. Moreover, author introduced new character and created love triangle. A big no-no for me!

My Lucas, Helen and Orion:

This book is excellent example of how to ruin series which had plenty of potential. So what would I recommend not to do?

*Change heroine from lovable girl into whinning self-pittying girl.

*Take away banters and interactions between hero and heroine which were the most interesting part of book #1 and which made this s
May 05, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....... Got to say, before, I thought this was gonna be... "Ehh..." Because of the mention of "Love Triangles" But, when I got a hold of that ARC, Wow... IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Josie cleared up a lot of messes we were talking about. such as, the cousins part, and added a very cute new character ;D
I stayed up all night reading it! Definite must read!!!

My review before I read this:
"A... Love.. Triangle... WTF... I now completely DETEST love triangles.. I mean, it is good
Colleen Houck
Lots of action. Another swoon worthy boy. Cool new powers. What's not to love? Very excited to move on to the last book! Can't wait to see what happens next. =)
Jun 24, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Αυτό το βιβλίο το ευχαριστήθηκα. Είναι όσα όλα ζητούσα από ένα βιβλίο στην παρούσα φάση, με την παρούσα διάθεση. Δράση (πολλή), περιπέτεια, αναπάντεχα γεγονότα και έρωτας. Και όλα αυτά σε μια όμορφη αφήγηση. Από το πρώτο βιβλίο με εξέπληξε ευχάριστα. Η αφήγηση έχει μια ποιότητα που σπάνια περιμένω να βρω όταν πιάνω αυτό το είδος.
Δύο αρνητικά έχω να θίξω μόνο. Οι ήρωες είναι λίγο αφελείς, πολλές φορές παίρνουν ανόητες αποφάσεις, έχουν αψυχολόγητες συμπεριφορές κ.λ.π.
Το άλλο είναι το ότι στη σειρ
***NOTE! review is posted on Ja čitam, a ti?

Are you, Jose Angelini, one of the descendants of, um, I don't know... Is there Greek goddess of torturing by cliffhangers? Just to make one thing clear - I wouldn't mind if you leave the love story as it is. Yes, I am that kinky.

Second book in Starcrossed series picks up where first one ended so maybe it would be good idea if you refresh your memory before you start reading. Dreamless is more focused on Helen's role in the new world she found hersel
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
The start of this book was actually OK, for the first 10 pages or so and then it went down hill. So... Let's try something different here...

Hi, my name's Helen. I am the absolutely STUNNING AND PERFECT LOOKING protagonist of this book. In fact, I'm the most freaking beautiful girl in the world. No joke. The face that launched a thousand ships and all that. Doesn't matter that beauty is subject to the eyes of the beholder and different cultures have different definitions of beautiful.

Last book
Eines der besten Bücher, das ich seit langer Zeit gelesen habe.

~ Rezension folgt...
Aug 22, 2012 Quincy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2012
Not another love triangle!!! I truly, truly hate them. They make women look like whores and they're just so......... TRITE. (But, yes, I'm still going to read the book)
This review is going to be short and sweet. Well not so much sweet. Dreamless is like every other sequel out there (ever since Twilight came out). Girl gets in more trouble, can't be with boy she loves (I still hate this whole "we may be cousins" kick YA authors seem to be on), finds another nice boy but feels guilty for maybe having feelings for him. Another love triangle tangled mess. I know I'm being a bit harsh with this review, but it is frustrating for me as an avid YA reader to get hooked ...more
Jan 30, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!!

IM IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES! This book was as good (or even better) than the first one! Ahh I can't even come up with words to describe how amazing it was. The writing is phenomenal and all the dialogue between the characters is so funny and flawless!

If you haven't read this series, start it right now!!
Jun 29, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-on-ipad
*****3.5 stars*******

Okay, so this is a toughie for me. I am a huge Starcrossed fan, it is such a well-executed, thrilling story with characters that I just absolutely fell in love with. The wait for Dreamless was a long one, so I couldn't wait to dive right in the day it was released. Honestly, though, I found myself really struggling to get back into the story, and at about 20% in I had to shelf this one for a few weeks. I finally sat down today and finished it, and I was a little disappointed
Oh my word I did not want this book to end. What can I say the Gods must be doing something right by giving Josephine Angelini a remarkable ability to spin a web of adventure rooted deep in mythology and tragedy. This book was an amazing follow up to Starcrossed, which I adored but had me screaming and yelling at the end in disbelief. We left off with the notion that Lucas and Helen were actually related and that the love they share and have for one another is forbidden. But we know the stinking ...more
Julianna Helms
Apr 30, 2012 Julianna Helms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Greek mythology and literature
Quick Reaction: I should make it clear that there are many different ways to judge a book, and I'm judging Dreamless in relativity to Greek myths. Some pet peeves we see abundantly in today's literature are common and incredibly vital to Greek plots, and I must say that in both that aspect and Angelini's soothing narrative, this book certainly deserves 5 stars.

I thought I would hate Orion, but he actually turned out okay. Though Helen annoyed me a bit at some parts, she never crossed the line th
Howdy YAL
Jan 11, 2013 Howdy YAL rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To see full review click here:

Screw the format I usually follow.

I can't do it today. Not after I read this rainbow turd of a book. That's right, I said rainbow turd. And when I say rainbow turd, you know the book's shitty. If you don't want to read my entire rant about why Dreamless was even more insipid than its shitty predecessor, I'll briefly summarize why I hated it: it was way too long, the character is on the same Mary Sue level as Bethany Church, a
Nov 17, 2012 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lightwood Bookworm
Actual rating: 3.75 stars. Much better than the first book. Hope the third one is even better.
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
Before I Read
How could you do such a terrible thing?!?! Can they not subtract!!!!! I mean Ajax died 19 YEARS AGO!!!! Shes 17!!! I hope, hoPE, HOPE that they end up together! they're meant for each other!!
After I Read
Okay-so i wanted to kill Lucas, kiss Orin (a lot)
THEY STILL DONT KNOW THERE NOT COUSINS!?!? OMFG. Seriously-i am freakin pissed here.
I <3 Orin!!!
Sooo as you can see: mixed emotions :)
May 27, 2013 Irina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-bonfire
Edit - May 27, 2013:

A fucking love triangle ruined almost all the fucking book.
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Edit - December 31, 2011:

A love triangle?!
An unforgettable love triangle?!?!?!
I want to read this book NOW! *cry*
  • Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Underworld (Abandon, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband.
More about Josephine Angelini...

Starcrossed (4 books)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)

“...try to remember that dreams do come true, but they don't come easily.” 170 likes
“You're my invisible sun, aren't you?” 128 likes