Start by marking “Wilde Reise durch die Nacht ” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Wilde Reise durch die ...

Walter Moers

Wilde Reise durch die Nacht

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,331 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Der junge Gustave möchte unbedingt ein großer Zeichner werden. Aber zuvor muss er in einer einzigen Nacht von der Erde zum Mond und einmal quer durchs Universum reisen, denn er hat eine Wette mit dem Tod abgeschlossen, bei der es um nichts Geringeres als sein Leben und seine Seele geht.

Moers illustrierte Gustaves fantastische Reise anhand von 21 beeindruckenden Bildern aus
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wilde Reise durch die Nacht, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilde Reise durch die Nacht

Miriam
His ship destroyed by a Siamese Twin Tornado and his crew drowned, a boy named Gustave is forced to accept an impossible-sounding set of challenges from Death as his only chance at survival. But the deck is always stacked in Death's favor, isn't it?

Very fun, clever fantastical wild ride through a surreal landscape of personifications and ideas. I enjoyed Moers writing very much and am looking forward to reading something else of his, although I have a slight concern that he may pall at greater l
sj
Wow. Seriously, wow.

I knew I'd enjoy this going in (cos, c'mon, it's Moers), but I was worried because I knew it didn't include HIS illustrations.

It was stupid of me to worry.

Holy crap, this was fantastic.

It reminds me of when my husband and I were first married and he'd come in to our room to find me half asleep with the lights on and my glasses askew on my face. He'd take my glasses off and turn out the light, but I'd invariably wake up and ask him to sit with me and tell me a story until
Kate Sherrod
"I've got no idea what's gone wrong with your dreams of late, but they've definitely been getting wilder."
When your own dear personal psychopomp aka "dream princess" who is also your late great-great-great grandmother tells you this, you know you're in for a weird adventure. Of course, by the time twelve-year-old Gustave Dore meets his ancestress and hears this observation, he's already been on one for a good bit: captaining his own ship and all but losing it to the "Siamese Twin Tornados", meet
Steffi
Ganz großartig wie Moers um 21 (übrigens in sehr guter Qualität reproduzierte) Bilder von Gustav Doré eine Geschichte des 12jährigen Gustave entspinnt, der sich auf einen Deal mit dem Tod einlässt und in der Folge zahlreiche Abenteuer zu bestehen hat. Die Geschichte ist voller Anspielungen und ungemein komisch – angefangen mit der verrückten Schwester des Todes, weinerlichen Monstern bis hin zu den letzten Tieren, die man bei verschiedenen Todesarten zuletzt sieht: Diese sind umso schöner und ex ...more
Adam Floridia
What a nice break from the GRE Lit Test books I have been reading for the last four months. The book itself is a very cool concept; Moers took 21 of Gustave Dore's illustrations and used them to craft his own plot.

While the other books I've read by Moers really could be described as "children's books for grown-ups," this was a children's book for children. I'll enjoy passing this book on to my kid...about ten years from now.
Melissa Jackson
Though the 19th century woodcut illustrations by Gustave Dore are more exquisite than the actual story that Walter Moer formed around them, the book is entertaining and fun to read. I've given up expecting anything from a recent, original YA fairy tale. They just don't make them like they used to anymore.
Lisa
After reading The City Of Dreaming Books, I was eager to read another book by Walter Moers. This was the next one I found. It's a good book but not as captivating as The City Of Dreaming Books. The illustrations are great!
Matthew
The first Walter Moers book I read was The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, which is insane (in the best sense of the word), full of imagination, wandering.

This book was similar in its imagination. What makes this book different is that its fantasy is built upon the actual sketches of mid-19th century artist Gustave Dore. For a while, that little injection of reality caused me to overanalyze all the imagery. But at some point you just gotta accept the plot as it comes. I'm glad Moers did this f
TK421
A magical adventure of the imagination. This book epitomizes why I love to read!
Lisa
Ein Junge, der mit dem Tod um seine Seele wettet und sich somit auf eine Reise begibt, um nackte Jungfrauen zu befreien, sich mit Gespenstern in einem Wald zu betrinken, dem schrecklichsten aller Ungeheuer, der Zeit, einen Zahn zu ziehen und ein Portrait vom Tod zu zeichnen, um schließlich.. Nein, das wäre zu viel der Informationen.
Das klingt alles nach typisch Moers!
Auch wenn es einem als kleines, kindliches Abenteuerbüchlein erscheint, enthält es doch viele unterhaltsame Ansätze über die man s
Li'l Vishnu
‘Nonsense, there’s everything in space. They also claim there’s no sound here. If that were so, how could you hear me?’

Gustave was surprised at how good the acoustics were in space. He could hear the sun crackling as it burned, and even distant stars rustled like tissue paper.

— p. 130
This one’s just a silly old fantasy. No sense analyzing it to death. On the other hand, the department store motif seems to be allegorical... anyone up for an indictment of capitalism??

Oh, here we go. A really nice
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
How to explain why Mr. Moers is a genius? One must read his books in order to see why I feel so strongly about it, but his genius does not stop there! No, Alas! Walter Moers illustrates his own books, and not only are his words out of this world, his etchings leave nothing to be desired. Each time I encounter one of them, I spend a lengthy time exploring it, drooling a little, for they are a sight to see. As an illustrator myself, I can only hope to learn from him and perhaps come up with a semi ...more
Overlook

In the wake of the phenomenal successes of Walter Moers's City of Dreaming Books, The 13 ½ Lives of Captain Bluebear, and Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures, Overlook is pleased to offer Moers's fourth book, the tumultuous tale of a little boy who needs to defeat Death through a series of six impossible tasks. Moers bases his utterly delightful story twenty-one woodcuts by the inimitable Gustave Dore, the most successful illustrator of the nineteenth century.

In a world between legend and dream
Jessica
12 year old Gustave must complete a series of fantastical tasks or Death will claim his life and his soul. Whew! Oh...did I tell you that he has to slay dragons, battle Siamese Twins Tornado and save a damsel in distress in a single night?! It's quite an adventure, BUT there are pictures!!!!

I picked up this book once I read that Moers wrote the story based upon a series of sketches from a 19th century illustrator, Gustave Dore. It reminded me of the premise for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar
Kevin
Moers is a master at modern mythology. the adventure of a 12-year-old boy is crafted from select images of Gustave Dore. in fact, the boy it supposed to be Dore and is, therefore, a kind of explanation of the provoking and nightmarish images. great fodder for bedtime stories.

Campbell would admire the mythological landscape and hero's journey in any of Moers's books but this one represents a concise vision of a universal human adventure. the boy attempts to complete seemingly impossible tasks set
Ed
I recently realized that I had missed two of Walter Moers's books that had been translated to English; this is the first of the two. And it made me very, very happy. I'm probably going to put off the last of the English ones, just because I don't want to not have one to look forward to.

The novel is a departure from everything else I've read from his catalogue, in that it's more a creative writing exercise than anything else. Essentially, Moers took a series of Gustave Dore woodcuts from various
Patrick
Based around illustrations by Gustave Dore (and they're in the book too!)

This is a creative and capturing story by Moers who has become one of my favorites authors through his ability to write a story full of metaphorical messages while still having a charming and easy to read writing style full of humour. Can say with confidence that this is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite authors.
Would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick and wonderful read
Forest
This is Moers' tribute to the French illustrator Gustave Dore, and while it can't really be separated from that context, it does stand on its own as well. Dore illustrated Don Quixote, Baron Munchausen, Poe, Coleridge, Orlando Furioso, among many others, and bits of those stories find their way into this one as Moers borrows the illustrations from those works to illustrate his own story (which involves the young Gustave Dore and his adventures in a dreamworld) and then changes his own story to f ...more
Chris
A fable with shades of Roald Dahl, Norton Juster, and every mythology book you read as a child. The intriguing and unique side of this one is that the story is inspired by the slightly macabre woodcut illustrations of Gustave Dore, who was renowned in the 1800's for his countless illustrations in works like Don Quixote and The Bible, for heaven's sake. Worth a read, or even two.
4,5 Sterne

"Als es dunkel wurde, stach Gustave in See."
Wilde Reise durch die Nacht hat mir wirklich unheimlich gut gefallen. Der Schreibstil ist wirklich schön und Bilder von Gustave Dorè sind wunderbar atmosphärisch und geben dem Buch noch mal ein ganz besonderes Gefühl. Die Charaktere waren originell, Gustaves Traumreise war fantasievoll und spannend und auf seine ganze eigene Art philosophisch. Ich war von der ersten Seite an gefesselt.
Das einzige was ich mir noch gewünscht hätte wäre, dass di
Juan B. Martínez Parente
Ich bin überrascht dass es nicht so viel ein Kinderbuch ist als ein existenzangsterregendes Buch. Leben, Tod und Dasein sind im Spiel mit. Es wundert mich auch wie Moers eine zwar schöne Geschichte von Dorés vielfältigen Zeichnungen und Holzschnitten geschaft hat.
Bellis
Ich kann mich der allgemeinen Begeisterung nicht ganz anschließen. Nicht dass ich das Buch schlecht fand, es gab schon ein paar wirklich klasse Szenen, schöne Beschreibungen, lustige Stellen. Und Dorés Bilder sind natürlich eh toll. Aber irgendwie wollte der Funke trotzdem nicht so ganz überspringen.

Ich habe zwischendurch auch überlegt, ob mir das Hörbuch in diesem Fall nicht besser gefallen hätte, gerade weil die Bilder da nicht dabei sind. Denn ich hatte zumindest zum Teil Schwierigkeiten, Te
D'face
A wild ride through the night is the only book of Walter Moers I have read and I found it somewhat disjointed. The book is based on a series of old etchings by Gustave Dore which he has woven a story around. A boy drowned at sea makes a deal with Death that if he completes a series of challenges he will be able to live. These fantastic challenges form the story and provide the support for the etchings which are quite beautiful in a gothic sort of way. I almost put this book aside, but I persiste ...more
Nair Núñez
Excellent reading. Structured as a children bedtime story, A Wild Ride Through the Night is a little bit too gruesome for your average overprotected kid, but will do marvels for a refreshing witty story.

It is not a perfect book tho... The narrative is a little bit too fragmented and the introductions to each tale are not as smooth as one would like normally, but then again, this is based on 12 lithographic pieces by Gustave Doré which are, in its own, illustrations of some other narrative.

Amber
It makes me happy that someone like Walter Moers is out there doing what he does. He's so witty and creative and talented, and I'm really glad that his books are getting published in English. This one was a little different because he created around the woodcuts of Gustave Dore, a prolific illustrator from the 1800s. I, too, have made up my own story using various illustrations that I've come across, so seeing someone like Moers make it into a book is awesome. His humor makes it a wild ride inde ...more
Justin
Moers continues his trend of writing children's books for adults, this time inspired by the illustrations of 19th Century artist Gustave Dore--whcih happens to be the 12-year old's namesake.

The pictures plucked from Dore's many works become the fodder for Moer's imaginary tale of death and dreaming--two of Moer's most relied upon subjects.

Unlike previous Moers books, which are overflowing with hundred upon hundreds of pages, A Wild Ride Through the Night is a very quick read (easily finished in
Sofia
I read this again. It has been few years since I read this the first time and I have to say; even better than what I remembered!

Don't be fooled by the fact that most book stores misshelve this to children's books. It is a rather bloody story, one which I would not consider to be bedtime material for young children.

The artwork is absolutely amazing and the story that Moers has written around that art is slightly absurd but very charming. This is definitely a fairy tale, just not a fairy tale su
mairywo
Eine tolle Idee. Fantastische Zeichnungen von Gustave Doré illustrieren eine Fantasygeschichte von Moers. Oder andersrum, Moers erzählt eine Geschichte rund um die Zeichnungen von Doré.[return]So oder so, es ist ein Märchen, das eher für Erwachsene als für Kinder ist. Durch die ganze Geschichte hindurch werden wir vom Tod verfolgt und rennen mit Gustave dem Leben hinterher.[return]Es handelt sich um ein kurzes aber intensives Buch, dessen Philosophie leichtfüssig daher kommt.
Aaron
Interesting book. The author takes the works of a 19th century illustrator as a jumping off point for inventing a story about said illustrator's inspiration for the illustrations (I could not have made that more complicated). A quick read (I started and finished it today), it's an enjoyable read, with a lot of subtle humor and musings on life. Also, I loved the fantastical illustrations (the illustrations that served as inspiration for the story).
Ines
Feb 05, 2008 Ines rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves fairy-tales
Shelves: fairy-tales, deutsch
Meine erste Begegnung mit Walter Moers als Märchenerzähler. (Käpt'n Blaubär und Konsorten hab ich erst später gelesen.) Mich hat begeistert, wie Walter Moers es geschafft hat, traditionelle Märchensprache und modernes Erzählen so zu verbinden, dass es nicht merkwürdig klingt. Die Zeichnungen von Doré sind wunderschön, und es macht Spaß, die Geschichte in den Bildern zu suchen. Ein Stern Abzug, weil ich das Ende zu banal fand.
  • Die Träume des Jonathan Jabbok (Neschan-Trilogie, #1)
  • The Night of Wishes
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Die Albenmark (Elfenritter, #2)
  • Lilith (Uralte Metropole, #2)
  • Die Känguru-Chroniken: Ansichten eines vorlauten Beuteltiers
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Das Labyrinth der Wörter
  • Das oblatendünne Eis des halben Zweidrittelwissens
  • Kassandra
  • Old Man and Mr. Smith: A Fable
  • Neue Vahr Süd
  • Das Muschelessen
  • Katzenwinter
  • Biedermann und die Brandstifter
  • Bodyguard Of Lightning (Orcs: First Blood, #1)
Walter Moers was born in 1957 and is a writer, cartoonist, painter and sculptor. He has refused to be photographed ever since his comic strips The Little Asshole and Adolf were published, the latter leading him to be declared persona non grata by the political right in Germany. Walter Moers lives in Hamburg.
More about Walter Moers...
The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1) The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4) Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3) Der Schrecksenmeister (Zamonien, #5) Ensel und Krete. Ein Märchen aus Zamonien (Zamonien, #2)

“Zweifel?" rief das Ungeheuer. "Wir reden hier nicht von gesunder Skepsis, mein junger Freund! Nein, ich zweifelte nicht - ich sorgte mich, und das ist ein Unterschied wie... wie zwischen denken und träumen. Ich fing an, mir um alles Gedanken zu machen - um restlos alles! Ich kann mir Sorgen um die Gesundheit machen, um die Zukunft, um die Gegenwart - sogar um die Vergangenheit, was eine besonders sinnlose Variante ist.” 0 likes
“Das Leben, mein Junge, ist nicht nur eine wilde, schöne Reise. Leben, das heißt auch: dem Tod bei der Arbeit zuzusehen. Das ist das Härteste überhaupt! Das muss man aushalten können. Bist du bereit, das auszuhalten, mein Junge?” 0 likes