Chickenhawk Back in the World: 2life After Vietnam

Chickenhawk Back in the World: 2life After Vietnam

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the author of the bestselling autobiography Chickenhawk--selling over 540,000 copies--comes a triumphant sequel that reveals the Vietnam War's shattering legacy in the heart of a returning vet. A moving and no-holds-barred account of the downward spiral of events in one vet's life. Photos.
Published March 1st 1993 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Chickenhawk Back in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickenhawk Back in the World

Raegan Butcher
Apr 25, 2008 Raegan Butcher rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent continuation of Chickenhawk. I was very impressed with the author's descriptions of the prison camp where he did his time; it was almost exactly the same kind of prison as one of the places I was incarcerated and Mason does a superb job of capturing the look and feel of it. He nails every facet of that existence, with humor and humanity. First rate, all the way.
jimtown
It was 10:10 when I finally dropped this book on the floor beside my bed and turned out the light with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. A minute later, I switched the light back on and got up to look for some paper. I had to write down my thoughts lest I foget them in the night.

Two or three more nights reading, I had told Rick when he asked how I was coming on the book and I'd checked to see how much I had left to read, and yet I finished it all.

I started reading Chickenhawk: Back in th...more
Bernie Weisz
Apr 24, 2011 Bernie Weisz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bernie by: vietnam Bibliography
Title of my Review: "From Seasoned War Vet to a Prison Cell!" Written By Bernie Weisz Vietnam War Historian contact: Bernwei1@aol.com

"Chickenhawk:Back in the World's" picks up exactly where Mason's first book left off. Briefly, Mason starts off relating that upon his return from his 1 year tour of Vietnam as a chopper pilot (Sept. 1965 to Aug. 1966) he became a helicopter instructor pilot. This ends quickly after Mason is tormented by severe P.T.S.D symptoms, hallucinations, panic attacks, depre...more
Jim Bee
I had to re-read Chickenhawk before I started this book having tracked it down on ebay. Chickenhawk left me, 10 years earlier, on a cliff hanger wondering what happened to Robert Mason after coming home from Vietnam and this book didn't disappoint. Whilst this book lacks the pace of Chickhawk, Mason describes the raw emotion and difficulties faced by returning Vets trying to handle the reality of peace. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the fact that it comes right up to 1990 highlights the imp...more
Rebecca
Definately not as good as the first. A bit of wollowing in self pity, BUT still a reminder of what happened to those that fought in the "unpopular" war.
Seth
Almost as good as his Vietnam memoir, but not as harrowing and mind bending.
Jeremey
Excellent book. Feels like you're right there with the author.
Randy
Post-Vietnam and busted! Check it out.
Ben Gee
Ben Gee marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Alckmech
Alckmech marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Shawn Neupauer
Shawn Neupauer marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Koenig
Koenig marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Dean Hamilton
Dean Hamilton marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Aunt Tiff Tiff
Aunt Tiff Tiff marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Todd Sheridan
Todd Sheridan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Simon Nicol
Simon Nicol marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Suzanne Lander
Suzanne Lander marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Adam Gibson
Adam Gibson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chickenhawk Weapon Solo Chickenhawk: Back in the World: Life After Vietnam Richard Nixon and the Quest for a New Majority