Start by marking “Chickenhawk Back in the World: 2life After Vietnam” as Want to Read:
Chickenhawk Back in the World: 2life After Vietnam

Chickenhawk Back in the World: 2life After Vietnam

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the author of the bestselling autobiography Chickenhawk--selling over 540,000 copies--comes a triumphant sequel that reveals the Vietnam War's shattering legacy in the heart of a returning vet. A moving and no-holds-barred account of the downward spiral of events in one vet's life. Photos.
Published March 1st 1993 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Chickenhawk Back in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickenhawk Back in the World

Raegan Butcher
Apr 25, 2008 Raegan Butcher rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent continuation of Chickenhawk. I was very impressed with the author's descriptions of the prison camp where he did his time; it was almost exactly the same kind of prison as one of the places I was incarcerated and Mason does a superb job of capturing the look and feel of it. He nails every facet of that existence, with humor and humanity. First rate, all the way.
jimtown
It was 10:10 when I finally dropped this book on the floor beside my bed and turned out the light with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. A minute later, I switched the light back on and got up to look for some paper. I had to write down my thoughts lest I foget them in the night.

Two or three more nights reading, I had told Rick when he asked how I was coming on the book and I'd checked to see how much I had left to read, and yet I finished it all.

I started reading Chickenhawk: Back in th
Bernie Weisz
Apr 24, 2011 Bernie Weisz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bernie by: vietnam Bibliography
Title of my Review: "From Seasoned War Vet to a Prison Cell!" Written By Bernie Weisz Vietnam War Historian contact: Bernwei1@aol.com

"Chickenhawk:Back in the World's" picks up exactly where Mason's first book left off. Briefly, Mason starts off relating that upon his return from his 1 year tour of Vietnam as a chopper pilot (Sept. 1965 to Aug. 1966) he became a helicopter instructor pilot. This ends quickly after Mason is tormented by severe P.T.S.D symptoms, hallucinations, panic attacks, depre
Jim Bee
I had to re-read Chickenhawk before I started this book having tracked it down on ebay. Chickenhawk left me, 10 years earlier, on a cliff hanger wondering what happened to Robert Mason after coming home from Vietnam and this book didn't disappoint. Whilst this book lacks the pace of Chickhawk, Mason describes the raw emotion and difficulties faced by returning Vets trying to handle the reality of peace. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the fact that it comes right up to 1990 highlights the imp ...more
Keatley
Amazing portrait of Mason's life with PTSD. Excellent for anyone who wants insight into the inner war soldiers fight when they return home or who just wants to read a great story.
Rebecca
Definately not as good as the first. A bit of wollowing in self pity, BUT still a reminder of what happened to those that fought in the "unpopular" war.
Seth
Almost as good as his Vietnam memoir, but not as harrowing and mind bending.
Jeremey
Excellent book. Feels like you're right there with the author.
Randy
Post-Vietnam and busted! Check it out.
Glen Stansfield
Glen Stansfield marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Joe Phillips
Joe Phillips marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Anthony D Jacobs
Anthony D Jacobs marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Rhodri
Rhodri marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Saqib
Saqib added it
Feb 22, 2015
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Ben Hom
Ben Hom marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
  • Stonehenge Decoded
  • The Knight in History
  • Merlin
  • The Complete Poems and Translations
  • Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • Robin Hood
  • Home Before Morning
  • Hell in a Very Small Place: The Siege of Dien Bien Phu
  • 722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York
  • Chasing the Rose: An Adventure in the Venetian Countryside
  • A History of Hand Knitting
Chickenhawk Weapon Solo Richard Nixon and the Quest for a New Majority Powiedz, że się boisz