Start by marking “Chickenhawk Back in the World: Life After Vietnam” as Want to Read:
Chickenhawk Back in the World: Life After Vietnam

Chickenhawk Back in the World: Life After Vietnam

From the author of the bestselling autobiography Chickenhawk--selling over 540,000 copies--comes a triumphant sequel that reveals the Vietnam War's shattering legacy in the heart of a returning vet. A moving and no-holds-barred account of the downward spiral of events in one vet's life. Photos.
Published March 1st 1993 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Chickenhawk Back in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickenhawk Back in the World

Gerry
Jun 18, 2015 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is more of a memoir following the tour of duty that Mr. Mason served in Vietnam from 1965 to 1966. After having read "Chickenhawk" I was rather compelled to follow the life of Mr. Mason; I am glad that I did.

Mr. Mason makes no apologies with the exception of effects that some of his choices he made which impacted that of his wife Patience and son Jack during the period of October 1966 to August 1992 in this memoir. Within his personal disclosure of PTSD and physical effects we see simp
Bernie Weisz
May 09, 2010 Bernie Weisz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bernie by: vietnam Bibliography
Title of my Review: "From Seasoned War Vet to a Prison Cell!" Written By Bernie Weisz Vietnam War Historian contact: Bernwei1@aol.com

"Chickenhawk:Back in the World's" picks up exactly where Mason's first book left off. Briefly, Mason starts off relating that upon his return from his 1 year tour of Vietnam as a chopper pilot (Sept. 1965 to Aug. 1966) he became a helicopter instructor pilot. This ends quickly after Mason is tormented by severe P.T.S.D symptoms, hallucinations, panic attacks, depre
Raegan Butcher
Apr 25, 2008 Raegan Butcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent continuation of Chickenhawk. I was very impressed with the author's descriptions of the prison camp where he did his time; it was almost exactly the same kind of prison as one of the places I was incarcerated and Mason does a superb job of capturing the look and feel of it. He nails every facet of that existence, with humor and humanity. First rate, all the way.
jimtown
Mar 05, 2012 jimtown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was 10:10 when I finally dropped this book on the floor beside my bed and turned out the light with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. A minute later, I switched the light back on and got up to look for some paper. I had to write down my thoughts lest I foget them in the night.

Two or three more nights reading, I had told Rick when he asked how I was coming on the book and I'd checked to see how much I had left to read, and yet I finished it all.

I started reading Chickenhawk: Back in th
Jon
Mar 01, 2017 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Mason has lead an exciting life and this book tackles the story of his life after his time in Viet Nam as a Huey pilot. He is a talented writer and does a very good job of describing his travels, ventures, struggles and victories. His wife stood by him even in all sorts turmoil. I read his first book (Chickenhawk) about 30 years ago. I liked both books. When I finished reading this one I felt like a kid drinking a soda through a straw as they slurp and slurp trying to get the very last dr ...more
Jim Bee
Apr 17, 2013 Jim Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to re-read Chickenhawk before I started this book having tracked it down on ebay. Chickenhawk left me, 10 years earlier, on a cliff hanger wondering what happened to Robert Mason after coming home from Vietnam and this book didn't disappoint. Whilst this book lacks the pace of Chickhawk, Mason describes the raw emotion and difficulties faced by returning Vets trying to handle the reality of peace. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the fact that it comes right up to 1990 highlights the imp ...more
Ford
Mar 06, 2016 Ford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered Chickenhawk, but got this book instead. It was very interesting. Learned about smuggling, the stupid the U.S. Justice system and some of the problems of Post Traumatic Stress. I hope the VA and the medical system treats the current combat vets much better.
Randy
Post-Vietnam and busted! Check it out.
Rebecca
Definately not as good as the first. A bit of wollowing in self pity, BUT still a reminder of what happened to those that fought in the "unpopular" war.
Seth
Jan 13, 2008 Seth rated it really liked it
Shelves: vietnam, memoir
Almost as good as his Vietnam memoir, but not as harrowing and mind bending.
Jeremey
Mar 04, 2013 Jeremey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Feels like you're right there with the author.
Keatley
Aug 18, 2014 Keatley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing portrait of Mason's life with PTSD. Excellent for anyone who wants insight into the inner war soldiers fight when they return home or who just wants to read a great story.
Lizistanton
This was the beginning of a long journey through my war.
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Jaap
Jaap rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Ryan Peters
Ryan Peters rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Jinjifore
Jinjifore rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was ok
May 26, 2009
Bertus
Bertus rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
William Paul
William Paul rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Slotyak
Slotyak rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Nick Applin
Nick Applin rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
George Hellinger
George Hellinger rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Mulliwulli
Mulliwulli rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Andrew Ackroyd
Andrew Ackroyd rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Jeff Parry
Jeff Parry rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015