Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  60,962 ratings  ·  8,269 reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or...more
Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel and Friends

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
9th out of 1,497 books — 10,197 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
11th out of 2,472 books — 12,490 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenn
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ...more
Steph Sinclair

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up...more
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli...more
Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and...more
Sarah Maas
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Hayden Casey
2013.

Giselle
*Spoiler free for the series!*

Not everyone can pull off retellings, or even stories inspired by classic fairy tales. They more often than not have a certain missing element that stops them for shining. Rarely do they stand out among the masses like Cinder does. Marissa Meyer is one of those authors who can take an overly used concept and turn it into something completely unique, while leaving in the charm and delight of our beloved classic. Cinderella meets Red Riding Hood in this second install...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I read Scarlet, I nearly lost my mind.

Cinder had been one of my favorite reads from the previous year, and I had waited the entire twelve months for the next installment to come out. When it showed up at my house (after being pre-ordered for months), I probably hugged it tightly to my chest and SQUEE-d. Then (after petting the lovely cover) I ran to my comfy chair, settled in, and began to read.

And the perspective I was reading. Was. Not. Cinder’s.

If I wa...more
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
This book will feature Cinder and Little Red Riding Hood and will take place in France.

Holy....cheese.

UPDATE: COVER REVEAL!!

description

So much nicer than Cinder!

After Finishing

As the second book in the Lunar Chronicles, this one follows Cinder after her arrest and escape from prison with the help of a hormonal 'Captain' named Carswell Thorne.
The story also follows Scarlet Benoit, a farm girl living in a small town in France. Scarlet's grandmother has been missing for over two weeks and she's desperate...more
Emily Anne
Oh, why on Earth (and Luna) do I have to wait so long for the next book? Cress, the third book, comes out in 2014! I am going to die!

I loved Scarlet even more than Cinder. The characters are amazing, the plot thickens, and you receive the same witty dialogue you had in the first book. Marissa Meyer is a genius! This book leaves nothing to be desired (except for a third book in your hands, ready to read.)

The book starts off with Scarlet meeting Wolf, and learning from her father that her grandme...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★☆/★★★★★

my reaction when i saw the book was out:

my reaction when i read the book:

Anyway. Scarlet was so much better than Cinder. Probably because there were more characters, it was written in third person view( just like in Cinder) but with much more POVs. Like Kai, Scarlet, Thorne, Cinder and Wolf(♥). Anyway, the story was pretty good, even though it was retelling of Red Riding Hood, but it was freakier, just like Cinder.

The book starts just where Cinder ended, and it's b...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Me after reading this book:

When I finished it, all I could do was sit there making whale noises and flail around.

I mean ... DAMN. I loved this book. Maybe it was because I read a few rather disappointing books before I read it, but it just felt like a giant ray of sunshine in my life.

I read Cinder about a year ago and it was a very pleasant surprise for me. I was like, "Cyborg Cinderella? Pffft … dumb." But then I heard it was actually good so I was like, "What the heck. I'll read it for the lu...more
Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown
description

I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. .................

OH WHO AM I KIDDING?????

COME FASTER!!!!!!!!
Dj
What? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 2013?! That is completly unnecessary. There's also 4 books which IS NOT a good sign.

OKAY so I saw on a website: book two IS about red-riding hood but it's ALSO focuses on Cinder as she tries to escape Levana and learn her history. But it also introduces a new character named Scarlet who lives in south France whose grandmother has disapeared. - which is good because I would have cried if the book hadn't continued with Cinder.

OKAY OKAY: I see that the four books will focus...more
Elena
description

This is one of my favorite series EVER.

description

How can I wait a year for the third? HOW?

Recensione:

Lei non sapeva che il lupo
era un animale cattivo
e non ne aveva paura.

La fine del primo libro ha segnato il rintocco della mezzanotte, il momento in cui Cenerentola è tornata a casa scordandosi una delle sue scarpette di cristallo per saltare sulla carrozza prima che si trasformasse in una zucca su quattro ruote. Cinder invece è rimasta al gran ballo, intrappolata tra la realtà e l'uomo che ama, Kai. Lo sg...more
Kira
Jul 15, 2012 Kira marked it as to-read
AH! Oh my goodness, I was hoping so hard that this series would be a bunch of different fairytales, and it is! Yay! I love Little Red, too, when it's all badass and hardcore.

I'm going to put a sock in it, I swear. Especially considering I just started reading Cinder.
Liz
Okay, I feel finally ready to write a proper review...I thought the first book was magnificent but this one...wow...it is even better.

Scarlet's grandmother disappears, no, excuse me, she is kidnapped and Scarlet desperately tries to find and free her. Her grandmother is the only family Scarlet has.
The fighter Wolf knows who has kidnapped Scarlet's grandmother and he is willed to help her, although he never reveals his true motives.
Together they go through hell to get to Paris and Scarlet who is...more
Natalie Garside
I was lucky enough to score an ARC of this fab second book in the Lunar Chronicles Quartet and thoroughly enjoyed reading it from beginning to end to page 240 for re-reading...and re-reading....

I shall do my best to write-up a spoiler free review (and mark it before any spoilers) but if you're at all concerned with getting even a HINT of what treasure lies in these pages, probably best to stop now---or just skim to the gifs ;-)

Cinder is back and on the run in this second installment along with S...more
Keertana
Rating: 3.75 Stars

Scarlet is easily one of the most anticipated novels of 2013, but it never made its way even to my to-read shelf. In fact, while the rest of the blogosphere was going crazy over the release of Meyer's sophomore novel, I was marveling at the fact that I had one less book to read this month than everyone else. Well, needless to say, Scarlet won me over, just as Cinder won over hundreds of readers when it was first released last year. While Cinder proved to be a frustrating read f...more
Joshua Lawrence Perez
This is killing me! 2013?! 20-freaking-13?!
The end-of-the-world could have by then!!

I have to wait a full year before I get to read the second book?! Ugh.

Fine. I can't do anything about it anyway.
But Scarlet should be worth the wait! I demand it! (just joking)

:D
____________________

I don't know if it's my OCD kicking in, but I didn't enjoy the way it was written.
But I still can't wait to read the next installment.

[no review for now, exams are coming]
Sasha Alsberg
SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
Brad
First read: June 18, 2012 - June 21, 2012

First, I want to say a big, big, BIG thank you to Marissa Meyer for hosting the giveaway for this book back in June 2012! Thanks Marissa!

SCARLET is one of those rare occasions where the author writes an even better novel than the already great predecessor. Marissa Meyer has officially put herself onto my favorite-authors list!

What I love most about SCARLET was how we were introduced to Scarlet Benoit, a very awesome and fierce character who I absolutely...more
Wendy Darling
A damaged werewolf and a charmer who flirts with spaceships! I have no idea why I waited so long to read this.
Wendy Higgins
Ahhh!!!! Another epic book for me! This book has everything that I love and need in a book - the stuff that helps me fully escape - amazing storyline/plot, vivid characters, spectacular setting and storyworld building. This is one of my new favorite series, and I can't wait to read the next!
Monica :)
Must read. 2013? Ugh! It's always the Meyers who torture us. :)
Angie
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

All right. I've officially waited as long as I could. The thing is--you need to know about this book. This sequel. Because it's coming in less than two months and I want you to be ready and not sitting around, twiddling your thumbs, wondering whether or not it'll be worth your time. Hint: it is so beyond worth your time. For those of you wondering, SCARLET is the sequel to Cinder, the first book in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles. Each installment is also it...more
H.D. Tolson
Dec 30, 2011 H.D. Tolson marked it as to-read
2013?

description

How do you expect me to wait that long?
Alex
Second BR with Lil' Amy

Hosted by imgur.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hosted by imgur.com

(view spoiler)

Italo Calvino once said "A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say."

Fairy tales are classics. One can never finish learning from them.

The adventure continues in this second installment of The Lunar Chronicles. The author has done an amazing job with this series. Beautiful writing, great characters and brilliant story.

At this point, I still don'...more
Summer {is puntastic}
I know I’ve read a spectacular book when I find myself pacing my room, unable to find anything to read and gravitating towards the book I have just completed. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer is one of those books. I ignored everything, because I was completely immersed in this novel.

I have finals next week? IGNORED.

I am behind on 6 reviews? IGNORED.

I have a ton of book copies for review? IGNORED.

I have to write a speech and read two novels for school? You’re kidding, right? IGNORED.

See, only a truly gr...more
Joel
OMG THIS WAS RIDICULOUSNESSSSSS THE LAST 100 PAGES ESPECIALLY WERE JUST AGHHHHH. I'M NOT EVEN SURE WHAT I JUST READ I'M IN SHOCK. Can i have Cress now please?
Who's better? Prince Kai or Wolf? 102 583 5 hours, 38 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer - Restarting September 19th 2014 420 232 23 hours, 21 min ago
Read-along: Scarlet 4 7 Sep 15, 2014 06:36AM
We ♥ YA Books! : * DISCUSS: September BOTM: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 5 13 Sep 14, 2014 03:48PM
The books with looks: Scarlet 4 4 Sep 13, 2014 06:42PM
Young Adult Book ...: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles Book 2) 24 74 Aug 30, 2014 09:18PM
Character Heights: What do you think? 9 131 Aug 09, 2014 09:49PM
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Altered (Crewel World, #2)
  • Splintered (Splintered, #1)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials, #2)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5) The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5) The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)

11 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 356 likes
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
314 likes