Start by marking “Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  155,999 Ratings  ·  17,465 Reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or t
Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.

Estela Pabalan Yes this book is waaayyyyy better then Cinder!! Read it you won't regret
Avaminn F'nett Probably. There's a few sexual references (all from Thorne) but they'd go over a 10 year-old's head.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
9th out of 1,520 books — 10,833 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
11th out of 2,462 books — 12,431 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Feb 14, 2016 Emily May rated it really liked it
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to a
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
Lola  Reviewer
This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
Jenn
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
Sarah Maas
Jul 03, 2012 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Steph Sinclair

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
Kassidy
Dec 09, 2015 Kassidy rated it it was amazing
*4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
Katerina
Jan 22, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time,there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales.Her favorite was Red Riding Hood,and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning.A warning that she'd never shup up).The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across a horrible,ho
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
Finally,
Riley
Mar 24, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
4.5
I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
-Scarlet/Wolf <3
-Cinder and Thorne's friendship
-Iko being a ship
-Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
Bangadybangz
Dec 30, 2015 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it
I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
April
Apr 14, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread, 2014, 2015
*4.5 STARS*
First read - 15th February 2014
Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
   Maggie
May 01, 2016 Maggie rated it it was amazing
she did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him

Rating: 5/5

I remember saying I would try and consider writing actual reviews, explaining the story, the plot, what I did and didn't like (unless spoiler free), explaining what happened with a detailed description, saying why I rated it whatever rate I gave it, so that's what I'm going to try and do from now on.
Also, I always add the book's actual description in italics font and they I decide to add a 'Wha
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 10, 2015 Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I put off reading this for like two years because I really didn't like Cinder, but holy crap. I liked this 382827282x more than I liked Cinder. Wow. Wowwwwww.
Darth J
May 27, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it
Shelves: series

While it’s a little on the snout to both name the Little Red Ridinghood-inspired character “Scarlet” and give her red hair, I tended to like this book. The world built in Cinder is expanded upon and I actually liked imagining the French countryside in this story. Not to mention that this one is heavy with the food descriptions.

figure 1: Ina Garten enjoying Nicki Minaj’s truffle butter

We are introduced to Wolf, who is a lupine/Lunar hybrid and—in the tradition of YA love interests—is
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
Dec 08, 2015 Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
She did not know the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her
Sasha Alsberg
May 14, 2014 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Nov 07, 2015 Jillian (bookishandnerdy) rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

I really, really loved this to be honest. There is just something about this book...or SOMEONE aka CAPTAIN CARSWELL THORNE. My only gripe was maybe the story dragged a bit in the beginning. I totally ship Wolf and Scarlet, some would say INSTALOVE, but IDC, I SHIP IT. ALSO, Thorne and Cinder's friendship. I found myself laughing out loud so so much during their interactions and coversations. I feel like CRESS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING (and I know it probably will be since EVERYONE loves
Daiane
Jan 06, 2016 Daiane rated it it was amazing
-- Adjusting reviews vibe - As I got to Winter --

When I got to read this book (just after the first one), a lot of the reviews said that this one was better. As I read the first chapter, I started to disagree with them. After Cinder's ending, I was dying to know what happened next and the beginning with Scarlet isn't exactly what I expected. Scarlet was boring. All she could think about was her grandma.
She had to eat. Grandma. She had to get out of the car (whatever that future transportation c
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
The characters in this series are amazing! I think I preferred the first book a bit more, only because Cinder is my favorite character so far. She's a cyborg and that's just so cool. I pretty much lived for the scenes with Cinder and Thorne while reading this, their friendship is everything.
Macarena
Feb 20, 2016 Macarena rated it it was amazing
Marissa se supera con cada libro, ya sea en sus personajes o en la trama. Como todo va uniéndose y armando un gran entramado de problemas es genial, está tan bien construido que con cada libro se llena otra pieza del rompecabezas de este libro.
Scarlet y Wolf mi nueva otp
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Jemma (MyLittleBookishCorner)
Meyer does it yet again - After falling in love with her writing style in Cinder, I was not disappointed when I got to Scarlet . I soon found myself getting closer and closer to the end without realising that I was doing it.

I love that each installment in this series is going to follow a different fairytale character, but is also going to include the characters from the previous books. I love meeting the new characters, and seeing them interact with the old characters {even if it isn't until th
Laz
Oct 08, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing
Phewww, I hadn't read a book in almost two months. I had neglected reading a tad bit but now I'm planning on getting back on track with it. I still have 50 books or so to read before 2015 is over. Let me say that I couldn't have kicked it off with a better book.

What a sequel. It certainly lived up to my expectations. Having loved the first book for its unique retelling of a classic fairytale, the author managed to do quite the same for the story of Red-Riding Hood but keeping it fresh too, at t
Wendy Darling
A damaged werewolf and a charmer who flirts with spaceships! I have no idea why I waited so long to read this.
Aria

For the second time, Marissa Meyer wowed me! This series only get better and better. Smiley I don't think I have been this invested in a series since The Grisha trilogy.

And like I said, this series only gets more thrilling and more exciting with every new book. I am definitely getting Cress soon, because I can't wait to see what all the fuss was about Cress. Everyone keeps saying it's the best out of all the th
Alia
Apr 03, 2016 Alia rated it really liked it
Why do many people dislike this book?
I liked this way more than the first one.
Cinder's character really grew on me and I got more attached to her. Plus Wolf and Scarlet's story was amazing.
This book even took less time to read! I'm really excited for "Cress" as it's many people's favourite.
Nanna
ahhh! this series. I adore it so much.

I had completely forgotten how Thorne & Cinder met hahah but I sure do love their friendship!

and scarlet and wolf! <3 I think I love them a bit more now!

on to the next one!
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・
description

Wait, did I read something? I think I did...

Blurb:
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter a
Bookworm Bitches : June 2015: Scarlet 29 103 Apr 26, 2016 09:38AM
Cinder and Thorne or Cinder and kai? 22 158 Apr 24, 2016 10:15PM
Wolf's timeline... what happened??? 3 63 Apr 22, 2016 11:20AM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: Scarlet 8 71 Apr 06, 2016 06:35PM
Who's better? Prince Kai or Wolf? 129 833 Mar 29, 2016 05:10AM
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

20 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 800 likes
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
768 likes