Start by marking “Titanic: an Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
Titanic: an Illustrated History

Titanic: an Illustrated History

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,219 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A popular gift volume featuring dozens of meticulously accurate, full-color paintings--including a fold-out illustration of the whole Titanic--offers a wealth of information about the "unsinkable" cruise ship and its fatal voyage. Reprint.
Published October 1st 1995 by Hyperion (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Titanic

Roxanne
If you are a Titanic fan, this book will excite you.

Donald Lynch has the greatest job I could ever wish for. He has spent years researching and interviewing Titanic survivors and family of survivors.

This book's acutal photos of individuals are spooky to me. Even those who survived. The eyes seem to look right through me.

I am particularly curious about one of the facts mentioned on Page 194 of the book.

"More speculative still are the stories of a large gold shipment on board. One perpetuator of t...more
Meaghan Clark
The most beautiful, perfect and by far the best book about the history of the Titanic, her sinking and her wreck that exists today. Told by the best Titanic historian there is, Don Lynch, and filled with illustrations by none other than Ken Marschall, this is an absolute MUST HAVE for all those with a passion for the Titanic. I first came across this book in my aunt's house some time in 1997, and I devoured it for as long as I could before I had to go back home with my mom. I talked about this b...more
Kara
Aug 12, 2013 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time travelers, history writers
Shelves: nautical, titanic

This was James Cameron’s main source for his film Titanic, and it shows, both in his imagery and writing, often not just sourced but out right copied form here – pictures of the ship as it went down and lines such as “the sheets had never been slept in”.

The book is AMAZING. The writing style is this perfect type of up-to-the-second on the ground present-past tense that makes you feel as though you are right there, full off suspense of who will survive, and very well researched, chock-a-block ful...more
Sara
This is a rather sad review for me to write. My grandmother who was born the day the Titanic sunk (or hit the iceberg) was always fascinated by the Titanic. It meant something to her. I saw this book in a catalog and I ordered it for her for Christmas one year and sent it to her.

Unfortunately, she was ill and the book was too heavy for her. I heard that she looked at the cover and said it looked good, she'd read it someday.

She didn't survive much longer and she never got to read the book.

I ende...more
Erin B.
Probably one of, if not, my favorite Titanic book. Don Lynch did a fantastic job of bringing all the elements of why Titanic is so fascinating! The construction, the people on board, the stories told, the disaster, and the aftermath. The pictures are also excellent!

If you're a Titanic nut, this is the book for you!
Thomas Rewi
I decided to read this book because we were in the library and I needed a book to read so I read this.

It completes the "a book with themes related to those we've studied in term 3". I enjoyed this bingo board slot because we are watching the movie in class so it gives me a deeper knowledge of the disaster. This means I may be able to benefit from this in future tests and assessments. I found this slot interesting because the opinion from the book is well illustrated in the movie.

My favorite quot...more
Lyndsay
I've never seen the movie, but have been fascinated with the story of Titanic since I was a young girl (I think it stems from the anniversary of the disaster always being near my birthday). This book was so great to read because it had so many illustrations and pictures. It was just what I was looking for. Lots of details and facts, not too much fluff. While reading it I remember thinking that someone should make a movie so we could see in true detail all the amazing features, then remembered oh...more
David
I bought this book mainly for the truly gorgeous artwork by Ken Marschall. As it turns out, the book also comes with a comprehensive account of the facts that led to the construction of the TITANIC as well as what happened after the sinking.
I can only recommend this wonderful book.

Also, this was the book James Cameron used to sell his film to Warner. You'll be surprised to see how much stuff from the film was taken from this book, and even the images of the ship in the film resemble a lot the pa...more
Bismo Anugrah
maybe that's book is very many experience for someone which passed away since accident the ship hit an iceberg
Jordan
Titanic: an Illustrated History by Donald Lynch is an amazing book that you should read! It is a non-fiction book about the Titanic with wonderful pictures and lots of information. I have read other books about the Titanic but none are as good as this one! In the book it talks about people who were on the Titanic and there stories, the crew members, what rooms were in it and what was in the rooms, it even talks about her sister ships-the Olympic and the Britannic, and much more! If you are inter...more
Hanna
3.5 Stars. Good, but a bit on the boring side.
Lisa
As soon as I saw this book in the bookstore, I put it on layaway ( a little expensive but well worth the price). Don Lynch did a thorough job with his research and telling the tragic story. This was my first of many Titanic books purchased over the years and the best - for the detailed information, photos and illustrations. A must for every Titanic history buff.
Luke Shortland
(1) This book fits under the "Graphic Novel" category.

(2) I read it because I wanted to read more books so I just randomly picked it up and read it.

(3) I liked the pictures in the book. The fitted the story.

(4) I didn't like how everything happened so fast in the book.

(5) I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Titanic.
Sanna
I'm very interested in the whole Titanic thing; the history of the ship and all, but mostly the people that were onboard. To read about they way their lives ended and their dreams were crushed, is very interesting, but at the same time very heart breakening. This is an excellent book for anyone who's interested in Titanic.
Lauren
I got into a HUGE Titanic phase when the movie came out and everything I got for Christmas that year revlved around Titanic in some way. This is one of the books I received and I loved all of the pictures. This book brought out my imagination of what happened and got me really into the vastness of the Titanic experience.
Jessica
This book is really, really cool. Lots of interesting pictures, including more lifeboat pictures after the sinking, which is, of course, something that has plagued me since I was a wee lass. This is an excellent resource for Titanic studies... it could be almost a textbook. Truly a wonderful book.
Alex
An absolutely amazing and beautifully illustrated book. This included tons of details even I didn't know about the Titanic - mostly passenger's accounts and stories. I loved the intricate details and the multitude of photos and illustrations. One of the best Titanic books I've ever read.
Melinda
This is the best version I've read yet. It has full accounts and amazing pictures. I kept wanting the ship to be rescued even though I knew the history. It's just amazing that this even happened. There were some real heroes and some real jerks that resulted from the disaster.
Patrick
The definitive introduction to the history on the RMS Titanic. Filled with gorgeous imagery, Lynch has done an excellent job breaking the events of April 14-15, 1912 into easy to follow, yet still thorough storytelling. This is an excellent book to start one's research with.
Emily
Amazing. This is the best book about the Titanic I have ever read... And I've read a great deal. The information was amazing the stories heart breaking and amazing. The illistrations and photographs were very unique and i hadn't seen many of them before. All on all I LOVE IT!!!
Janette
The paintings by Ken Marshall are incredible! The text is well written, so much information presented in a very reader friendly format, the photos and illustrations are placed just right. This is a GREAT book for any Titanic enthusiast.
Marissa
This is a good book about the Titanic. It gives lots of information about what really happened. When the titanic, a crouse ship, was sailing it hit an ice burge, which made the huge ship sink! It was very sad, many people lost their lives.
Kelly
I'll admit it -- I'm a Titanic buff. When I was a little girl my mom had a datebook that listed famous events for dates -- Titanic hit the iceberg on my birthday, so I've always been interested. This is just a lovely, thorough book.
Sven
I got this many years ago, but read it again in detail for the 100th anniversary of the launch and sinking of the great ship.

Fascinating book, with many details, photos, diagrams. Good background for seeing the movie too!
Harle
The edition we've got is hardcover with a darkish blue cloth covering and gold text on the front. (pokes the 'reprint' note in the book's description.) It must be the pre-reprint version. Anyone else have one like that?
Job Favela
I am a total fan of this ship and this book gave me everything I wanted and needed -well I also wanted a 3d scale model but you can't have everything- pictures, drawings, tales from survivors, the whole thing. I love it!
Emily
Feb 18, 2012 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Titanic fans
This book has many eye-opening pictures and facts about the Titanic that most people don't know. I recommend Titanic fans to get this book. This book is a must for a Titanic collection. You will learn many new facts.
Kent
Oct 01, 2007 Kent rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
The Illustrations are great. In my opinion, if it weren't for Ken Marshall, the death throws of the ship in the movie would not have been so successful, as he did in 2 dimensions what the film later did in 3.
Alison
I often become interested in a subject after seeing a movie about it and that's what happened with Titanic. I became mildly obsessed with the story and this book has lots of great pictures.
Dick
Good book showing photos of the Titanic prior to sailing and how it looks today at the bottom of the ocean. Plenty of text on notable folks connected with the Titanic or who sailed on it.
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • The Night Lives On
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Titanic
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • Titanic: A Survivor's Story
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Titanic Survivor
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
Ghosts Of The Abyss: A Journey Into The Heart Of The Titanic Riverdale Park (Images of America: Maryland) Sanctuaries: Readings For College Writers