Start by marking “Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)” as Want to Read:
Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)

Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  35 reviews
When Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) was first published in 1991, it met with an overwhelming response from readers and reviewers alike. Here was “a wonderful family story,” as The Horn Book Magazine said, “set matter-of-factly in an African-American environment.” Since then, the story of Sarah and Susan’s Sunday afternoon with their great-great-aunt Flossie—and ...more
Published January 22nd 2001 by Clarion Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Flossie's Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Flossie's Hats

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
African American Picture Books
33rd out of 284 books — 82 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack KeatsRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey
Multicultural Children's Lit
57th out of 325 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole Survis
Aunt Flossie's Hat (and Crab Cakes Later) is an endearing story about two young girls named Sarah and Susan who go to visit their Great Aunt Flossie on Sunday afternoons. While at her house they explore her wide variety of hats. The hats take Aunt Flossie back in time to her memories of wearing them and she explores these memories with her nieces. Howard's use of historical information from Baltimore and the girls introduction to their family history through fun afternoon's with their aunt serve ...more
I like this book. It made mentions of moments in history through good story telling. It shows us how objects can bring back memories like it only happen yesterday. A good fun light read that just might get your kids thinking about history.
Haley Dowty
Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard is a classic story about family. Two young girls go over their Great-great-aunt Flossie's house to visit with her every Sunday. Their favorite thing to do is look through her boxes and boxes of hats and hear the stories that go along with each hat. This is a very sweet story that teaches children about the importance of family. The paintings by James Ransome are gorgeous and really enhance the story. They allow the readers ...more
Sierra Hunter
every family has at least one hat lady
Aunt Flossie’s Hats and Crab Cakes Later by Elizabeth Howard, James E. Ransome (Illustrator) is a beautiful, heart-warming story about how two little girls, Sarah and Susan spend quality time with their Aunt Flossie on Sunday afternoons where they’d try on hats from Aunt Flossie’s incredible hat collection while listening to the stories that each hat came with. The illustrations are rich with different colors that show every detail from the characters faces to the each hat that is shown.

This st
Emily Duncan
Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard is a story of two young girls, Susan and Sarah, who love visiting their Great Aunt Flossie house. Aunt Flossie has a giant hat collection that the girls enjoy playing with. Her hat collection not only contains many fun hats to play with but also has lots of stories for Aunt Flossie to tell the girls. The girls love the stories that go along with each hat. Their favorite story is when Aunt Flossie’s best Sunday hat blew off ...more
Phyllis Vaughan Pilewski
Elizabeth Howard was my professor at West Virginia University and was certainly one of my favorites. Years later when my daughter was born, this was the first book that I bought for her. I am in my 42nd year of being a middle school librarian, and I read Dr. Howard's books to my students every year. I have such fond memories of her class and also of visiting in her beautiful home one time after visiting a school in Shadyside with our college class.
This book is a great depiction of the importance of hats within the female African American community. African American women take much pride in their hats. These hats are cherished and shown off at social events as well as Sunday morning church services. In this story two little girls play dress up in their Aunt Flossie’s Hats as she revisits times in her past when the hats were worn. The story revisits important historical events in the Aunt’s life such as a big fire in Baltimore as well as a ...more
This book is about two young girls visiting their older Great Great Aunt Flossie. Flossie has all sorts of hats and has a story for each one of those hats about when she was a young girl. Some of those stories involve historical things like a big fire or the end of the Great War and some involve family. This book had very nice illustrations that were very detailed, the words were kept within the illustrations so the words almost seemed like they were less important than the pictures. The picture ...more
Mary Nixon
Nov 15, 2015 Mary Nixon added it
Shelves: folk
This story is about two little girls who love to play dress up with their aunt's hats. Every time they choose a hat their aunt has a story to go along with it.

This can be used to teach children how to hold things dear to them and always remember that there is a story to be told with everything.
Wonderful book about sharing oral histories and family tradition. Sarah and Susan have a wonderful time when they visit their great-great aunt Flossie. They can always count on tea and cookies, hearing a good story about one of her beautiful hats and eating crab cakes later. Aunt Flossie gets to stroll down memory lane and share with the girls stories about her life and their family history. Lovely illustrations.
Aunt Flossie has lots of hats and lots of stories that go along with them. Sarah loved going to her Aunt Flossies's house on Sunday afternoon, because she knew an adventure awaited her. Sharing her stories verbally with the children celebrated generations of tradition along with laughter. And lets not forget the crabcakes! The pictures that were kept over the years help the stories come alive even more. The author shares the importance of asking questions as well as listening and recording some ...more
This story is about two young girls listening to their great-aunt's stories.

She tells three stories relating to an event that happened when she was wearing each of three hats. Predictably, the "best" story is the one with no historical significance, but the one that involves the two young girls :) Children are like that, it's very realistic.

Afterwards they have crab cakes, and it's clear that this is the normal weekly end to their visit.

This is a very simple story, very loving, and I suspect it'
I chose this book as my authentic example of multicultural literature. What I liked so much about it is the story. It is just a great story that flows with a strong family and great characters at the middle of it. Every Sunday two sisters go and visit their Great-great Aunt Flossie. While there they eat wonderful crab cakes. Their favorite part though are Aunt Flossie's hats. All her hats have a smell and story. Aunt Flossie tells the girls what was happening when she was wearing that hat. You c ...more
I think that this book would be worthwhile to have in a classroom as part of a multicultural classroom library. It projects a commonality between different ethnic groups and portrays the characters in a non-stereotypical way. I found the language of this story to be very poetic and rhythmic. It flowed well and was successful in including different voices in the telling of the story. The illustrations were very vivid, colorful, and cheerful, and enhanced the happy memories of the narrative.
I love this book, and I love that you can use it as a multicultural/diversity book. It is so important to show kids a wide variety of styles and characters so that they can learn to appreciate each other as individuals and other perspectives. The pictures in this book are so strong and warm, and full of character. I love that there is a different story for each hat, some happy and some a little sad. Again it is good to expose kids to a variety of things.
Robyn Simmons
This is a touching story about two young girls that reminisce about visiting their Aunt Flossie's house. During each visit, it was routine for the girls to sit and enjoy tea, cookies, and crab cakes later. After feasting, the girls would play dress up with their aunts hats. This story is a great read aloud as well as an enhancement for the classroom library. Students would love to read this story during DEAR or SSR time.
Jan 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about family and memories. We really enjoyed reading along with this book as we listened to it on audiocasette. The historical events that occurred were woven seamlessly into the reminiscences of the hats worn on different occasions. We loved that the family came together for a terrific meal at the end of the story. And the oil paintings are terrific, too.
Jul 06, 2012 Malissa added it
Shelves: mentors
I really enjoyed this book. It seems to be very relatable for young students. We always ask students to think about artifacts they have to write about. This would be a great text to illustrate that idea. I also like her use of repetition in a few places that could be a mentor to students.
This book is a colorful, multicultural book. It deals with children visiting an older relative and through her collection of hats they revisit her memories. The children are not only entertained but learn some family history. Many extended activities can be developed. Ages: 2nd grade
My three year old really enjoyed this book. Also it is based in Baltimore which for us makes it a local story. The illustrations show rowhouse which are common in this area. One pitfall is that you cannot predict the ending at all unless you pre-read by looking at all the pictures.
So many hats, so many stories of a life lived. This book is an historical fit ion book that shows us our common bonds human beings. Great to read and have children ponder what hat they would wear during different periods in history.
Zinnada Hodges
I loved this story. Especially since it mentions my hometown, Baltimore. The relationship that the girls have with their great aunt is adorable. It encourages young girls (and older women) to take the time to spend with them.
A story of nieces visiting their great aunt and learning the story behind each of her hats, one being the most special. The paintings were colorful and realistic and the story one of family.
Amazing book of my own childhood. The illustrations are lovely and you'll feel as if you were in the pages trying on Aunt Flossie's hats and listening to her stories.
Melanie Johnson
This is one ook that you would to read and it has a little of Baltimore's history in it and what os one thing that Maryland is good for- crabs and their crab cakes.
Emerson School  Library
A sweet story about two girls visiting their elderly aunt, who has a story to go with each of her remarkable hats. A nice example of Calkins's "small moments."
Mia Obiwo
I love this story. It reminds me of the summers at my grandmothers house. Two young girls dig through their aunt's closet and use their imaginations to explore.
Tierra Garr
This is one of my favorite books to read! It reminds me so much of my grandmother. I love how there is a story that goes along with each hat.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Read for my Writing from History Workshop. Really cute picture book that uses a great aunt's hats to go back in time and discuss historic events.
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • The Honest-to-Goodness Truth
  • Bigmama's
  • The Patchwork Quilt
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • Chess Rumble
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
  • In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose
  • The Buried Bones Mystery (Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs, #1)
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • Bird
  • Let It Shine: Stories of Black Women Freedom Fighters
  • Annie and the Old One
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World: The Day My Brother Martin Changed The World