Start by marking “Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)” as Want to Read:
Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)

Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)

When Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) was first published in 1991, it met with an overwhelming response from readers and reviewers alike. Here was “a wonderful family story,” as The Horn Book Magazine said, “set matter-of-factly in an African-American environment.” Since then, the story of Sarah and Susan’s Sunday afternoon with their great-great-aunt Flossie—and ...more
Published January 22nd 2001 by Clarion Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Flossie's Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Flossie's Hats

Tamera Fleming
Dec 04, 2016 Tamera Fleming rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: The book is about two little girls go visit their aunt every Sunday afternoon. They love their aunt house because it is crowded with memories and stuff. Aunt Flossie loves hats and each one of her hats represents one her memories. Every Sunday, the girls eat cookies and finish their day eating crab cakes with their aunt.

2) Grade level, interest level, lexile: PreK-3rd, ages 4-7, 400L

3) Appropriate classroom use (subject area) : Reading block

4) Individual students who might bene
Jana
This is an awesome picture book with beautifully painted illustrations that takes the children in the story on a walk down memory lane by way of their aunt's collection of hats. Susan and her sister, Sarah, visit their great great aunt on Sundays. After tea and cookies, the girls look forward to looking at her hats. Each hat that comes out of its box has a special memory attached and Aunt Flossie tells the story. I think this would be a good mentor text to use with my students. I love how an ite ...more
ke-sha
Jul 06, 2012 ke-sha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It made mentions of moments in history through good story telling. It shows us how objects can bring back memories like it only happen yesterday. A good fun light read that just might get your kids thinking about history.
Sierra Hunter
Nov 23, 2014 Sierra Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every family has at least one hat lady
Nicole Survis
Jun 10, 2015 Nicole Survis rated it really liked it
Aunt Flossie's Hat (and Crab Cakes Later) is an endearing story about two young girls named Sarah and Susan who go to visit their Great Aunt Flossie on Sunday afternoons. While at her house they explore her wide variety of hats. The hats take Aunt Flossie back in time to her memories of wearing them and she explores these memories with her nieces. Howard's use of historical information from Baltimore and the girls introduction to their family history through fun afternoon's with their aunt serve ...more
Genee121
Jun 10, 2014 Genee121 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Flossie’s Hats and Crab Cakes Later by Elizabeth Howard, James E. Ransome (Illustrator) is a beautiful, heart-warming story about how two little girls, Sarah and Susan spend quality time with their Aunt Flossie on Sunday afternoons where they’d try on hats from Aunt Flossie’s incredible hat collection while listening to the stories that each hat came with. The illustrations are rich with different colors that show every detail from the characters faces to the each hat that is shown.

This st
Emily Duncan
Oct 24, 2012 Emily Duncan rated it liked it
Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard is a story of two young girls, Susan and Sarah, who love visiting their Great Aunt Flossie house. Aunt Flossie has a giant hat collection that the girls enjoy playing with. Her hat collection not only contains many fun hats to play with but also has lots of stories for Aunt Flossie to tell the girls. The girls love the stories that go along with each hat. Their favorite story is when Aunt Flossie’s best Sunday hat blew off ...more
Jelisa
This book is a great depiction of the importance of hats within the female African American community. African American women take much pride in their hats. These hats are cherished and shown off at social events as well as Sunday morning church services. In this story two little girls play dress up in their Aunt Flossie’s Hats as she revisits times in her past when the hats were worn. The story revisits important historical events in the Aunt’s life such as a big fire in Baltimore as well as a ...more
Kaycee
May 29, 2013 Kaycee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two young girls visiting their older Great Great Aunt Flossie. Flossie has all sorts of hats and has a story for each one of those hats about when she was a young girl. Some of those stories involve historical things like a big fire or the end of the Great War and some involve family. This book had very nice illustrations that were very detailed, the words were kept within the illustrations so the words almost seemed like they were less important than the pictures. The picture ...more
Haley Dowty
Sep 23, 2014 Haley Dowty rated it liked it
Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard is a classic story about family. Two young girls go over their Great-great-aunt Flossie's house to visit with her every Sunday. Their favorite thing to do is look through her boxes and boxes of hats and hear the stories that go along with each hat. This is a very sweet story that teaches children about the importance of family. The paintings by James Ransome are gorgeous and really enhance the story. They allow the readers ...more
Lastrong
May 14, 2012 Lastrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Flossie has lots of hats and lots of stories that go along with them. Sarah loved going to her Aunt Flossies's house on Sunday afternoon, because she knew an adventure awaited her. Sharing her stories verbally with the children celebrated generations of tradition along with laughter. And lets not forget the crabcakes! The pictures that were kept over the years help the stories come alive even more. The author shares the importance of asking questions as well as listening and recording some ...more
Connie
Jul 20, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about two young girls listening to their great-aunt's stories.

She tells three stories relating to an event that happened when she was wearing each of three hats. Predictably, the "best" story is the one with no historical significance, but the one that involves the two young girls :) Children are like that, it's very realistic.

Afterwards they have crab cakes, and it's clear that this is the normal weekly end to their visit.

This is a very simple story, very loving, and I suspect it'
Holly
Jun 01, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it
I think that this book would be worthwhile to have in a classroom as part of a multicultural classroom library. It projects a commonality between different ethnic groups and portrays the characters in a non-stereotypical way. I found the language of this story to be very poetic and rhythmic. It flowed well and was successful in including different voices in the telling of the story. The illustrations were very vivid, colorful, and cheerful, and enhanced the happy memories of the narrative.
Becky
I chose this book as my authentic example of multicultural literature. What I liked so much about it is the story. It is just a great story that flows with a strong family and great characters at the middle of it. Every Sunday two sisters go and visit their Great-great Aunt Flossie. While there they eat wonderful crab cakes. Their favorite part though are Aunt Flossie's hats. All her hats have a smell and story. Aunt Flossie tells the girls what was happening when she was wearing that hat. You c ...more
Alex.ferg
Sep 18, 2012 Alex.ferg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book, and I love that you can use it as a multicultural/diversity book. It is so important to show kids a wide variety of styles and characters so that they can learn to appreciate each other as individuals and other perspectives. The pictures in this book are so strong and warm, and full of character. I love that there is a different story for each hat, some happy and some a little sad. Again it is good to expose kids to a variety of things.
Lisa
Mar 28, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Wonderful book about sharing oral histories and family tradition. Sarah and Susan have a wonderful time when they visit their great-great aunt Flossie. They can always count on tea and cookies, hearing a good story about one of her beautiful hats and eating crab cakes later. Aunt Flossie gets to stroll down memory lane and share with the girls stories about her life and their family history. Lovely illustrations.
Robyn Simmons
Nov 04, 2008 Robyn Simmons rated it liked it
This is a touching story about two young girls that reminisce about visiting their Aunt Flossie's house. During each visit, it was routine for the girls to sit and enjoy tea, cookies, and crab cakes later. After feasting, the girls would play dress up with their aunts hats. This story is a great read aloud as well as an enhancement for the classroom library. Students would love to read this story during DEAR or SSR time.
Phyllis Vaughan Pilewski
Sep 01, 2014 Phyllis Vaughan Pilewski rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Howard was my professor at West Virginia University and was certainly one of my favorites. Years later when my daughter was born, this was the first book that I bought for her. I am in my 42nd year of being a middle school librarian, and I read Dr. Howard's books to my students every year. I have such fond memories of her class and also of visiting in her beautiful home one time after visiting a school in Shadyside with our college class.
Dolly
Jan 15, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about family and memories. We really enjoyed reading along with this book as we listened to it on audiocasette. The historical events that occurred were woven seamlessly into the reminiscences of the hats worn on different occasions. We loved that the family came together for a terrific meal at the end of the story. And the oil paintings are terrific, too.
Cya
So many hats, so many stories of a life lived. This book is an historical fit ion book that shows us our common bonds human beings. Great to read and have children ponder what hat they would wear during different periods in history.
LeShea Green
In this story two little girls love to try on their Aunt Flossie's hats from her collection. As the girls try on different hats, each hat holds a story,a memory that close and dear to auntie Flossie's heart. The two little girls listen to Aunt Flossie's stories as she reminiscent about her past.
Zinnada Hodges
I loved this story. Especially since it mentions my hometown, Baltimore. The relationship that the girls have with their great aunt is adorable. It encourages young girls (and older women) to take the time to spend with them.
Malissa
Jul 06, 2012 Malissa added it
Shelves: mentors
I really enjoyed this book. It seems to be very relatable for young students. We always ask students to think about artifacts they have to write about. This would be a great text to illustrate that idea. I also like her use of repetition in a few places that could be a mentor to students.
Denise
Sep 23, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
Very good! Aunt Flossie's hats are unique and original as are the stories that each hat has; they educate and entertain her two young listeners and afterwards they all eat and enjoy the crab cakes that are part of the stories as well!
Wilma
Oct 02, 2008 Wilma rated it really liked it
This book is a colorful, multicultural book. It deals with children visiting an older relative and through her collection of hats they revisit her memories. The children are not only entertained but learn some family history. Many extended activities can be developed. Ages: 2nd grade
Beverly
Oct 18, 2010 Beverly rated it it was amazing
My three year old really enjoyed this book. Also it is based in Baltimore which for us makes it a local story. The illustrations show rowhouse which are common in this area. One pitfall is that you cannot predict the ending at all unless you pre-read by looking at all the pictures.
Anthony Pate
The girls like to hear the stories inspired by the memories help in Aunt Flossie's hats. This is a good book for children who like to visit their elderly relatives and to hear story about the family history.
Tierra Garr
Apr 24, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books to read! It reminds me so much of my grandmother. I love how there is a story that goes along with each hat.
Melanie Johnson
Sep 16, 2011 Melanie Johnson rated it it was amazing
This is one ook that you would to read and it has a little of Baltimore's history in it and what os one thing that Maryland is good for- crabs and their crab cakes.
Emerson School  Library
A sweet story about two girls visiting their elderly aunt, who has a story to go with each of her remarkable hats. A nice example of Calkins's "small moments."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • Bigmama's
  • The Honest-to-Goodness Truth
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
  • Oscar's Half Birthday
  • The Patchwork Quilt
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose
  • In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers
  • Chess Rumble
  • The Buried Bones Mystery (Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs, #1)
  • Let It Shine: Stories of Black Women Freedom Fighters