Start by marking “Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,934 ratings  ·  224 reviews
Sh#@ Your Phone Says

"Damn You, Autocorrect!"

If you own an iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, or any smartphone, there's a good chance you've screamed that phrase out at least once. In Damn You, Autocorrect!, pop-culture blogger Jillian Madison shows you are not alone.

Filled with submissions from readers of her popular website, this laugh-out-loud funny book features cringe-worthy
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Damn You, Autocorrect!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn You, Autocorrect!

Loederkoningin
Now everyone who has ever used autocorrect (though autocorrect would much rather refer to itself as autoerect) must have experienced some of the mortifying situations described in this book..

Person 1: Sup, I'm at my place getting anal
Person 2: Dude naw
Person 1: Snack
Shit it autocorrects to anal inmeant snack. Dude that was the worst autocorrect mistake ever.

Person 1: I am soooo thirsty. Can you buy me a huge bottle of water on your way home?
Person 2: Yea. Of course. Why are you so thirsty?
Perso
Nikki
I think everyone gets to the stage where sometimes they just need to read something silly to clear out their brain, right? I was in that state when I was in Italy a few months ago, and ended up on damnyouautocorrect.com... So when I saw the book, I couldn't help but want to pick it up. Some of them I was familiar with already, and it is fairly mindless fun, but it is funny. From Freudian slips to surrealism, there's a whole world of badly autocorrected texts in here.

Proooobably not really worth
Kayla Cagan
Sometimes I need a quick mind cleanser between reading novels. I don't usually pick up books that are crafted out of websites or technology flaws, and though I read humor essays and memoirs, I don't usually pick up joke books. But this little gem kept me cracking up, literally LOLing with tears falling down my face, for the last couple of weeks. I don't always laugh when I think something is funny - sometimes it's just a nod or a smirk or a mental note to myself that, "hey, that was funny," but ...more
Deborah Markus
Dear Authors Of High-Concept Nonfiction:

People buy your books because the title tells them exactly what they need to know.

In this case, I knew before I even opened it that I was holding a collection of inadvertently hilarious text messages -- messages sent by people who innocently assumed their phones would *not* change family-friendly words like "pen" to "penis," thereby drastically changing the entire drift of messages like "I needed a pen and he wouldn't let me borrow one" or "I broke my pen
Jen Carstairs
Motherducker!!! Autocockblock sucks!

I recommend this to everyone except for children under the age of 15 (because of the foul words; never occurred to me that smart phones are also perv phones!) and people with heart diseases (they might accidentally have a heart attack because of too much laughing!) because all of us need a hearty laugh once in a while!

I think what made this book funny is the fact that it happened and is still happening to people with perv smart phones!

I don't have a smart phon
David
Sep 13, 2014 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
V živote som sa pri žiadnej knihe toľko nenasmial. Fakt super.
Eva Leger
I'll keep this short and sweet ~ most of the texts shown in this book are worthy of a chuckle or two. Maybe about, say, 65%. Give or take. About 20% are so damn funny I cried - numerous times - while reading them. As in, read a hilarious one and cry, stop, read another one, cray again, stop, here we go again, stop. Yeah. I'm for real. Then the other 15% or so didn't even belong.
IMO the hilarious ones, that 20% or so make the book worth getting and reading alone. I have to be honest though - I se
Stefanie
Can't say I've ever had bad autocorrects like in this book but as I was reading this I kept laughing so hard. Great book to read for a laugh if you're having a bad day or just need some stress relief. And I'll keep on hoping that my autocorrects never turn out like these because I don't know how well I'd be able to save myself if it did.
This is one of those books that it is perfect to dip in and out of when you don't have much time but you want something to make you giggle. My friend has a stack of this kind of book in her bathroom for people to flick through.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever used a phone with autocorrect will know the perils of sending a text without reading it first but hopefully most of us will never send messages quite as embarrassing as the ones in this book!

I snorted with laughter several times while read
Rebecca
This and Cake Wrecks both get the prize for making me laugh until I literally cry. I can't go to this web site at work any more, because I turn into a hysterically guffawing mess. That said, having the book around to dip into is a guaranteed pick-me-up for anyone who loves typos (especially from a software that seems to have a dirty mind) and the wit it takes to overcome them.

My personal favorites (safe for work):

Do ducks have jackets? http://damnyouautocorrect.com/2625/wh...

Relationship advice
Keith
Everyone who confronts technology on even the most occasional basis has experienced the strange phenomenon of autocorrect. In many instances it's a time saver when drafting a document or sending an email; however, autocorrect in the fast paced texting world can be embarrassing, hilarious and often both. Email and documents can be scanned for mistakes but a text is immediate and once sent it's gone The authors of Damn You Autocorrect have compiled hundreds of texts gone horribly wrong. This is o ...more
Bookish♥Sarah

This book claims these autocorrect disasters are from real people, but I don't buy that. Too many of them seem to be the same person. Same witty comebacks, same grammar, same weird capitalization of the word "phone." I do not deny that some of it was pretty funny... but for the most part it was just repetitious.

The most I can say is that it at least occupied me while my car was being serviced.
Ashley
I like funny autocorrects as much as the next gal, but I don't know, the book just seems like overkill. I can read most (if not all) of these - and more! - for free online, and though I did laugh a few times, there are funnier autocorrects out there.

My fave, though:
I'm wearing lettuce under my sweatpants so I'm warmer...
Ruchita Mahimkar
Nov 15, 2012 Ruchita Mahimkar rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruchita by: Internet!
Everyone who owns a smartphone surely must have said these words-DYAC!. Its a hilarious collection of some great autocorrect mistakes. Must read for everyone.. Its Fantastic!
Karen
An entertaining read for anybody who has ever sent or received a text.
Camille Breckenridge
Hilarious! Light, easy, quick, read a few a day for a good laugh! LOL
Rebecca Scaglione
Never would I thought that “Damn You, Autocorrect” by Jillian Madison (based on the website) would be so amazingly hilarious! I was downstairs with a friend, looking at books in our apartment complex’s book sharing library, and thought I’d open the book and see if some of the autocorrections in texts were funny.

They weren’t. They were RIDICULOUSLY HILARIOUS! Like laughing so hard I was literally crying.

For instance (from the back cover):

Person 1: Don’t worry, seriously. He’s crazy about you and
Sarai
Very fast, funny read! If you've enjoyed the website, you've gotta check out the book!

Book Description
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Sh#@ Your Phone Says

"Damn You, Autocorrect!"

If you own an iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, or any smartphone, there's a good chance you've screamed that phrase out at least once. In Damn You, Autocorrect!, Pop-culture blogger Jillian Madison shows you are not alone.

Rachel
This book was hilarious. I hope they never ever get rid of autocorrect because it creates some incredibly funny moments! The texts are separated into chapters and as an example of each chapter, I will include the first text from each:

1. Parents Just Don't Understand (Awkward Texts with Mom & Dad)

>>>Your mom and I are going to divorce next month
<<>>>I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.

2. Love Gone Wrong (When Couples Text)

>>>Don't
Leanne Bell
Ever sent a wrongly worded text? Made a complete fool of yourself sending an SMS? Well your not alone, read this book, it's hilarious.
Containing a collection of the funniest and most ridiculous ill-sent texts in the history of that wonderful spelling correcter known as auto-correct, this will have you snorting your drink out of your nose (so please stay away from anything fizzy!)
From the rude to the pure hilarious, this book contains them all, from weird exchanges with friends to cringe-worthy c
Silver
Jul 30, 2013 Silver rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Damn you, Autocorrect is a collection of texts gone awry funny because of the smartphone autocorrect feature. This book was just plain hilarious. Although I can't help wondering if this feature is really such a perv. Many autocorrect situations are believable. But, some are a little too much I'm left doubting whether a phone could be this devilish. Hmm, guess I can't find that out since I don't have a smartphone. Maybe other reviewers can clear that up.

Okay, true or made-up, it really was crazy
Alex Telander
In this incredible and wonderful period of Smartphones, it is all very likely that humanity will look back on this time as the remarkable invention of the iPhone and the power and ability that was unleashed with this invention. And with this marvelous invention there was texting; and with this fantastic ability to text, there was . . . autocorrect. For those who aren’t in possession of an iPhone, or may not be familiar with it, one “perk” of the texting application is the autocorrect feature tha ...more
Wee Shubba (Totally Bookalicious)

We have all been there right? Sent that text without re-reading what it said and then end up in a very embarrassing situation? Yip of course anyone with a smartphone has due to that pesky Autocorrect feature (Sweep Texting in the UK).

Damn You Autocorrect is a website that I am sure everyone has been. The text fails are simply hilarious and if you have been on it Where have you been hiding? Check it out trust me it totally worth it. www.damnyouautocorrect.c
Kirsti
I had to read this book at home rather than on the train because it made me crack up so many times. The website is DYAC.

I'm so amused that many autocorrect systems change "Hahaha" to "Shabaka" (a pharaoh in ancient Egypt). Also "soonish" becomes "Zionism," and "Netflix" becomes "Negroid."

Particularly embarrassing are the work texts. These come with heartfelt apologies.
Yesiska Putri
My stomach hurt so bad. I laughed and cried at the same time. DYAC is fantastic. I know that things in this book are collections from people who's submitting about their text that have been auto-corrected and turns out to be funny.

We've been there when we sent a text to our friends or relatives and after press that send button we just realized the message have been auto-corrected and you can't help it but laugh.
Mr Tyler
I read a book named Damn you autocorrect and this made me realize what it is like to text because I have never texted before. People in this book type something then the autocorrect changes it to something crazy but hilarious. People don’t realize they did it until after they send the text because they are typing so fast that they don’t even know what happened. I personally don’t think that there is anything wrong with autocorrect because you’re phone is just trying to make life easier for you ...more
jerica
Jun 29, 2012 jerica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: iPhone users
This was a hilarious short read. I actually got tears in my eyes from laughing so much. There are awkward embarrassing texts to and from parents, mortifying autocorrects from co-workers, good natured ribbing from friends, and who knew cooking and food texts could be so funny?

Since this book is a compilation of messages from different sources, I also enjoyed the differences in humor and relationships in each message. There are texts where you can see that the relationship between the two people h
Damien Field
Painfully thin depth to this "book". The most this book gives you is an idiots guide to what Autocorrect is, as if you'd be picking it up otherwise. If youve had Facebook in the past x amount of years chances are youve already read this book in the form of "funny" posts online. Expected much more.
Tamara
Full of can't-help-but-laugh awkward toilet humor intermixed with accidental wordplay.

My biggest criticism: I wanted it to have glossy, full-color pages. Silly, but true. The B&W paperback edition made everything seem dull and lifeless.

Favorite Quotes:

I'm really sorry...I just totally Dorothy.
*forgot...Goddamn spell correct.
Yeah I just totally Cowardly Lion so I know what you mean.

We have a baby!!!!
Yay!!! How big??
7lbs 3GS
Oops
3 oz
3 GS haha
He is web ready

Minor brachiosaurus and an ea
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood
  • Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts
  • F My Life
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Dog Shaming
Dear Asshole: 101 Tear-Out Letters to the Morons Who Muck Up Your Life Damn You, Autocorrect!