Start by marking “Secret New York - An Unusual Guide: Local Guides by Local People” as Want to Read:
Secret New York - An Unusual Guide: Local Guides by Local People

Secret New York - An Unusual Guide: Local Guides by Local People

Discover Secret Gardens, decipher ancient riddles on tombstones, visit a disturbed Indian burial ground, observe the stars and planets through a university telescope, frown at a bronze statue of Lenin, harvest mastodon food in Central Park, enjoy the aroma of a roomful of dirt, find a Venetian palazzo above a former stable, spot the forbidden island that was once declared ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Jonglez Publishing (first published June 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Secret New York - An Unusual Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret New York - An Unusual Guide

svm
Jan 27, 2013 svm rated it it was amazing
best xmas present ever. really wonderful details the overlooked sites of the city. highly recommended for any fans of culture/history/trivia, etc. and nyc. part of a series of which i am eager to read more volumes: london, florence, etc.
frogfairie
May 28, 2013 frogfairie rated it really liked it
So, I didn't actually read every word of this book but did skim through multiple times & used it on my latest trip to New York. I plan on buying a copy to work my way through visiting all the places in the book. Much fun! =)
Betsy
Nov 05, 2016 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wander
Superb. This is the kind of travel book that any true adventurer really wants and needs. It is a guide to the special nooks and crannies that you might overlook even if you were a resident.
Andrew
May 29, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
The subtitle is "an unusual guide". It is: but "a bizarre guide" might be more appropriate. On the other hand, it is worth perusing the Jonglez Publishing guides for treasures that may pique your interest. For example, the New York guide shows where you can find Cole Porter's Steinway (in the mezzanine of the Waldorf Astoria); or the Historic Aviation Restoration Project at Brooklyn's former airport, Floyd Bennett Field; or the Steinway Piano Factory, which does tours in the Bronx.

Jonglez is bas
Karlie
May 28, 2015 Karlie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guidebooks
I found this awesome, unique guide to New York at Idlewild, a NYC bookstore devoted to travel books. It's just a shame that I found it so close to the end of my trip. There are so many interesting spots in this book, some that are tucked inside or near touristy spots, and some that are destinations of their own. I managed to see a couple and am looking forward to using it again, more in depth, next time I visit the city.
Alice
Mar 02, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing
Although I was born a New Yorker, I love to read this sort of guide for the history I learn. Some of these places are more unusual than others. It may be a better guide for New Yorkers than out-of-towners who might have limited time and be more interested in seeing more "can't miss" sights.
Jen Pierce
Jul 24, 2016 Jen Pierce rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reference
I really liked this guide. While in NY, it's very easy to find stuff to do - that everyone else is doing. This guide allowed us to pick an off-the-path destination, see other interesting stuff on the way, and get a real feel for the city as travelers, without the lines and touristy crap.
Marissa
Jul 08, 2014 Marissa rated it really liked it
Loved it! Very dense with information. Lots of quirky, fun stuff to look into next time you're in Manhattan, or if you live there and like going treasure-hunting for nifty places.
Michele Salgado
Michele Salgado rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Kurt Gardner
Kurt Gardner rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Suzy
Suzy rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Joy Yagid
Joy Yagid rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Suzannah
Suzannah rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Jason Medina
Jason Medina rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Natalie P
Natalie P rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Peter Harrison
Peter Harrison rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Katrina Josephine
Katrina Josephine rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Gary L. Kieffer
Gary L. Kieffer rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Dorothy Schwartz
Dorothy Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Geoffrey Reid
Geoffrey Reid rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Laure
Laure rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Lizolina
Lizolina rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Bugzmanov
Bugzmanov rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015