Poem Runs: Baseball Poems

Poem Runs: Baseball Poems

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  39 reviews
From the first pitch to the last out and all nine innings between, Douglas Florian’s
collection of baseball poems brings wordplay, wit, and laughter to America’s
springtime tradition. Featuring a mean-armed pitcher, a daisy-picking right fielder,
and a lightning-swift base stealer, Poem Runs combines irresistible language and
Florian’s signature child-friendly, bold illustrati...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Brittany Watts
This book was a poetry book. I believe its intended age group is for children ages 6-10. This book has a variety of poems aiming towards baseball. I rated this book with three stars. I did this because firstly it doesn't rhyme so great considering its a poetry book. Secondly, the book had me very confused throughout some of the poems because quite frankly they didn't make any sense. I believe this book is not appealing to children unless the child really likes baseball. The pictures in the book...more
David
Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian combines humor, wit, and wordplay to celebrate a favorite American sport in sixteen poems.

Florian's illustrations were done in gouache watercolors, oil pastels, colored pencils, and pine tar on primed paper bags. A few of the poems include shape poetry. My favorite images are cover, slugger, right fielder, and poem run.

Florian creates poems about players, umpires, fans, the ball, and the start and end of the season. I enjoyed his wordplay and use of l...more
Barbara
Drawing on his love for baseball, the poet assembles 16 poems, one on the back cover, celebrating the sport. The poems or their titles contain examples of the clever word play for which the author is known; as, for instance, in the case of the title "Poem Run." Florian follows the baseball season from the start of spring when players limber up those winter-chilled muscles in "Warm Up," all the way to the anticipation of another season in the concluding poem "The Season Is Over" with stops along...more
Teacher.
Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian is a set of poems featuring different players on the baseball diamond including the umpire, the baseball, even the warm-up. The poems are creative, fun, and alive. Along with each poem is a beautiful illustration, sometimes integrating shape poetry. While these poems are simple and short, they are precise in their knowledge about baseball, describing the ins and outs of the game. One poem features a second baseman who loves to work the double play, an...more
Bethe
Usual reliable collection of poems from author/illustrator Douglas Florian, a self professed (on the jacket flap) baseball fan. The table of contents reads a bit like the box score or lineup card, with a poem for almost each position on the team and person on the field. Some poems work better than others with their rhyme and rhythm; this isn't his strongest book, but it should appeal to sports fans. I love the look on the Slugger player - she should suit up for the Texas Rangers and get them out...more
Brittany Lee
Genre- Poetry
Awards- None
Grade Level- 3-4

This book is a great example for the students to see different types of poems. Since this book is based on baseball, a good follow up activity for the students would to have them pick a sport of their choice and have them write and illustrate their own poem based on that sport. At the end of class have the students read their poems to the class and see which sport was most favored throughout the classroom. This connects to the poetry unit because each stu...more
Courtney
Poem Runs is a collection of poetry about baseball. Each position has it's own poem. This book would be great for baseball lovers.
Caryn Caldwell
An original collection of poems about baseball. Each position earns its own poem and illustration, including the umpire and right-fielder. Various other aspects of the game are covered as well. Sure to appeal to sports lovers, this book would be a nice addition to a library collection. The simple text is easily accessible for kids of different reading levels, and the poems are just playful enough to be used in classroom discussions about various poetic devices. The author is clearly knowledgable...more
Kim
Fun poems and silly artwork. Very cute.
Kristina Bulluck
This poetry book would be awesome for someone that really enjoys baseball. The illustrations were nice and looked as though children created them. I also liked how they included girls in the poems as well because we all know that baseball is not just a sport for boys.

Our Slugger

Our slugger is strong,
Our slugger is mean,
With arms very long
And eyesight quite keen.
Our slugger can zing
Each pitch you may hurl.
And one other thing:
Our slugger is a girl.
A_Jenny
How many times have we searched high and low for poetry and books for our boys? Well look no further! Get your catcher's mitt ready because Douglas Florian is ready to pitch! This a book filled with poetry about baseball which he skillfully painted from the eyes of a child's point of view as well. Descriptions of each player's position and skills were interestingly detailed for you. I am so happy to have found this colorful poetry book.
Cathy Blackler
A clever book of poems about baseball. Florian's artwork and poetry would pair nicely with Arnold Adoff's book The Basket Counts, poems about basketball. The artwork conjures up possible classroom activities such as watching the video "How It's Made" about how baseballs are made. Modeling a few of these books could serve as inspiration for a class to collaborate on a book of poetry around a central theme or idea.
Liz
I love Florian's play with words and paintings that accompany his themed poetry books. As a baseball lover, I was excited with his latest topic! I found several favorites, including "A Baseball," "Base Stealer," "Umpire," and "Poem Run." Don't forget to check out the copyright page with information in the shape of a baseball, and the inclusion of "pine tar on primed paper bags" as part of the art description.
Cj Lee
This poem collection about baseball was great. Even though it is a poem, it was very easy to follow and understand. The author uses the poem to teach about what each position do in baseball. The poems are very witty with wonderful vocabularies. The illustration is also appropriate with the text of the book. Overall, I was satisfied with this collection and I would recommend to all you baseball lovers.
Margaret
Great poems, not a fan of the painting illustrations though. I would really suggest this book with kiddos reluctant to get into poetry. It is a fun and great example that shows you can turn anything successfully into a poem.

Thanks to HMH.
Typed on Kindle Fire.

scheduled: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Debbie
This book did not really meet my expectations of a Douglas Florian book. His wit is not as present in this book as it has been in so many of his previous collections. I was also disappointed with the illustrations. I am still a fan of Doug Florian, but this book was not a great representation of his best work.
Amanda
This collection of poems are all about baseball and it's players/positions. My favorite poem is the last one "The Season is Over" that says "We're counting the days Until it's spring training" The back cover even features a poem about baseball fans. Great book when teaching a poetry unit in elementary school.
Tony Keefer
I am a sucker for baseball poetry and I am a fan of Douglas Florian's work. I loved the art in this book, but was a little disappointed with some of the poems. Overall though I think many kids will appreciate this book. It could be a good first step in exploring poems that are based on the same concept.
Great Books
Baseball enthusiats will celebrate the sport with a collection of poems by Florian. Poems are short, lively and humorous. Share the sentiment of baseball season ending as we expectantly await spring training. A winning collection of poems about an all-American sport. Reviewer 17
Donalyn
16 poems-- including one on the back cover-- celebrate every aspect of baseball. My favorite poem is "Pitcher", which showcases Florian's trademark wordplay-- "I'm the curve-ball creator/ The man on the mound/ The great devastator,/ Where fastballs are found.
Kifflie
The poems really do catch the essence of baseball. The illustrations are pretty crude, though -- and more than a bit distracting, I found. Just my personal impression. But this is a cute book for young baseball lovers.
Jasmine Crocker

but no one's complaining
We're counting the days
Until its spring training
Paul  Hankins
A new collection of baseball-themed poems with Douglas Florian's delightfully-quirky paintings (I love how the umpire's arm extends across and over the two-page spread to call the "out").

Sandy Brehl
The poems and paintings in this collection are a perfect pairing- appeal, exaggeration, humor, movement, and punch.
You don't have to be a fan of baseball to cheer for this one.
Rachel
A wide variety of baseball poems, some better than others, the illustrations are very "child-like" and remind me of what young people would draw about their favorite game.
Holly
I'm a big Douglas Florian fan, and I think kids will love this poetry book. Great word play and fun pictures. I also like how Florian includes girls as great athletes!
Sam
I liked the poems because it was about a sport and how he described the positions with a poem. It was short and hilarious.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Surprised I didn't see this one earlier. Love the combination of baseball and poetry with this one.
Kris
Use "Base Stealer" and "A Baseball" as read-alouds to entice those who love sports but not poetry (yet).
Yoo Kyung Sung
Great concept book on baseball that is a poetry book! Child like illustration works great!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings Insectlopedia UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings Poetrees