Start by marking “Poem Runs: Baseball Poems and Paintings” as Want to Read:
Poem Runs: Baseball Poems and Paintings

Poem Runs: Baseball Poems and Paintings

From the first pitch to the last out and all nine innings between, Douglas Florian’s
collection of baseball poems brings wordplay, wit, and laughter to America’s
springtime tradition. Featuring a mean-armed pitcher, a daisy-picking right fielder,
and a lightning-swift base stealer, Poem Runs combines irresistible language and
Florian’s signature child-friendly, bold illustrati
Published April 3rd 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Poem Runs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poem Runs

Elizabeth Mar
Nov 10, 2016 Elizabeth Mar rated it really liked it
"Poem Runs: Baseball Poems and Paintings" by Douglas Florian is a fun and entertaining poetry book that takes the reader through each of the positions on the field, such as pitcher, second baseman etc. Each position is accompanied with a short poem and nifty illustration, perfect for grades 1st through 3rd. I love how the illustrations emphasize features of the baseball positions and the word play in the poems are clever. In the classroom, the book would a great introduction for a poetry unit. F ...more
Lori
Nov 04, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing
I love Douglas Florian!

In honor of the Cubs winning the World Series, I read baseball poems today at the Boys & Girls Club. The kids enjoyed the poems and wanted me to read them again! :)
I highly recommend this book.
Allison
Great poetry book for those who are interested in baseball. Throughout the book, it has a poem for each base and the players.
Roselyn Roderick
This is fun for both boys and girls who like baseball as an interest-related book!
Rudy Regalado
Oct 09, 2016 Rudy Regalado rated it really liked it
Awards: none

Grade Level: grades 1-4 ages 6-9

Summary: In this book the author writes about all of the different positions in baseball as well as the baseball itself. Every page has a small poem talking about that specific aspect of baseball. By the end of the book the season is over and we've learned a lot about the game!

Review: I really liked this book.. I enjoyed the rhyming poems on every single page as well as how they cleverly explained the details about baseball through each poem. I think
Barbara
Mar 01, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Drawing on his love for baseball, the poet assembles 16 poems, one on the back cover, celebrating the sport. The poems or their titles contain examples of the clever word play for which the author is known; as, for instance, in the case of the title "Poem Run." Florian follows the baseball season from the start of spring when players limber up those winter-chilled muscles in "Warm Up," all the way to the anticipation of another season in the concluding poem "The Season Is Over" with stops along ...more
Charli Greene
Douglas Florian wrote Poem Runs, a very fun book of poems all about the subject of baseball. Each poem is a rhyming poem that presents a very nice rhythmic flow when reading it. When reading each pome I could not help but to tap a pencil to the beat on my desk. The poems in this book revolve around the sport of baseball, but present different viewpoints. For example, there is a poem about the baseball itself and what it is made of and then there are poems about each position that one can play wh ...more
David
Feb 02, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian combines humor, wit, and wordplay to celebrate a favorite American sport in sixteen poems.

Florian's illustrations were done in gouache watercolors, oil pastels, colored pencils, and pine tar on primed paper bags. A few of the poems include shape poetry. My favorite images are cover, slugger, right fielder, and poem run.

Florian creates poems about players, umpires, fans, the ball, and the start and end of the season. I enjoyed his wordplay and use of l
Bethe
Sep 15, 2013 Bethe rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Usual reliable collection of poems from author/illustrator Douglas Florian, a self professed (on the jacket flap) baseball fan. The table of contents reads a bit like the box score or lineup card, with a poem for almost each position on the team and person on the field. Some poems work better than others with their rhyme and rhythm; this isn't his strongest book, but it should appeal to sports fans. I love the look on the Slugger player - she should suit up for the Texas Rangers and get them out ...more
Teacher.
Apr 12, 2012 Teacher. rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian is a set of poems featuring different players on the baseball diamond including the umpire, the baseball, even the warm-up. The poems are creative, fun, and alive. Along with each poem is a beautiful illustration, sometimes integrating shape poetry. While these poems are simple and short, they are precise in their knowledge about baseball, describing the ins and outs of the game. One poem features a second baseman who loves to work the double play, an ...more
Sarah Hannon
Feb 23, 2015 Sarah Hannon rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction - I love the poem shape and style in this book about baseball. I also really love baseball, playing and watching, so I really made a personal connection to these poems. The illustrations are very unique by Douglas Florian as he drew them himself and they look sketched as a young artist would create which allows students to see as fun and interesting.

Purposes:
-Read-aloud for first graders.
-Curriculum:
-Introduction to a poetry unit
--These poems are a great way to demonstrate poem
Brittany Watts
Apr 27, 2014 Brittany Watts rated it liked it
This book was a poetry book. I believe its intended age group is for children ages 6-10. This book has a variety of poems aiming towards baseball. I rated this book with three stars. I did this because firstly it doesn't rhyme so great considering its a poetry book. Secondly, the book had me very confused throughout some of the poems because quite frankly they didn't make any sense. I believe this book is not appealing to children unless the child really likes baseball. The pictures in the book ...more
Brittany Lee
Oct 30, 2013 Brittany Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: fab-40-file, poetry
Genre- Poetry
Awards- None
Grade Level- 3-4

This book is a great example for the students to see different types of poems. Since this book is based on baseball, a good follow up activity for the students would to have them pick a sport of their choice and have them write and illustrate their own poem based on that sport. At the end of class have the students read their poems to the class and see which sport was most favored throughout the classroom. This connects to the poetry unit because each stu
Caryn Caldwell
Jul 18, 2013 Caryn Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An original collection of poems about baseball. Each position earns its own poem and illustration, including the umpire and right-fielder. Various other aspects of the game are covered as well. Sure to appeal to sports lovers, this book would be a nice addition to a library collection. The simple text is easily accessible for kids of different reading levels, and the poems are just playful enough to be used in classroom discussions about various poetic devices. The author is clearly knowledgable ...more
Janet Squires
Just for fun -- here is Florian's take on baseball as seen through the eyes of young players. Fifteen short, energetic verses take on the varied positions from Pitcher -- "I'm the slippery slider/My sinker just plummets/I'm sly as a spider/My riser climbs summits" to Base Stealer -- "My greatest need/Is speed" and convey the emotion and excitement of the game with wit and humor.

The double-page illustrations are colorful and exaggerated to create a child-like exuberance. Words stretch and leap ac
Kristina Bulluck
Nov 13, 2013 Kristina Bulluck rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, sports
This poetry book would be awesome for someone that really enjoys baseball. The illustrations were nice and looked as though children created them. I also liked how they included girls in the poems as well because we all know that baseball is not just a sport for boys.

Our Slugger

Our slugger is strong,
Our slugger is mean,
With arms very long
And eyesight quite keen.
Our slugger can zing
Each pitch you may hurl.
And one other thing:
Our slugger is a girl.
A_Jenny
Jun 10, 2012 A_Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
How many times have we searched high and low for poetry and books for our boys? Well look no further! Get your catcher's mitt ready because Douglas Florian is ready to pitch! This a book filled with poetry about baseball which he skillfully painted from the eyes of a child's point of view as well. Descriptions of each player's position and skills were interestingly detailed for you. I am so happy to have found this colorful poetry book.
Cathy Blackler
Jun 26, 2012 Cathy Blackler rated it really liked it
A clever book of poems about baseball. Florian's artwork and poetry would pair nicely with Arnold Adoff's book The Basket Counts, poems about basketball. The artwork conjures up possible classroom activities such as watching the video "How It's Made" about how baseballs are made. Modeling a few of these books could serve as inspiration for a class to collaborate on a book of poetry around a central theme or idea.
Cj Lee
Nov 13, 2013 Cj Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This poem collection about baseball was great. Even though it is a poem, it was very easy to follow and understand. The author uses the poem to teach about what each position do in baseball. The poems are very witty with wonderful vocabularies. The illustration is also appropriate with the text of the book. Overall, I was satisfied with this collection and I would recommend to all you baseball lovers.
Liz B
Jan 17, 2015 Liz B rated it it was ok
I think you should be limited to rhyming "poem" with "home" only once.

This was fine. The poems weren't bad, but they weren't great either. They didn't do much that was clever with language or meaning, and while there were a couple of cute moments, overall, this was pretty forgettable. I think, though, if you have a young kid who is super into baseball or softball, that it might be a great readaloud choice.
Liz
Apr 21, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
I love Florian's play with words and paintings that accompany his themed poetry books. As a baseball lover, I was excited with his latest topic! I found several favorites, including "A Baseball," "Base Stealer," "Umpire," and "Poem Run." Don't forget to check out the copyright page with information in the shape of a baseball, and the inclusion of "pine tar on primed paper bags" as part of the art description.
Debbie
Apr 12, 2012 Debbie rated it it was ok
This book did not really meet my expectations of a Douglas Florian book. His wit is not as present in this book as it has been in so many of his previous collections. I was also disappointed with the illustrations. I am still a fan of Doug Florian, but this book was not a great representation of his best work.
Margaret Chind
Great poems, not a fan of the painting illustrations though. I would really suggest this book with kiddos reluctant to get into poetry. It is a fun and great example that shows you can turn anything successfully into a poem.

Thanks to HMH.
Typed on Kindle Fire.

scheduled: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Poem Runs by Douglas Florian is an excellent spring time book. With a selection of poems about baseball this book will appeal to baseball fans everywhere. It can also be used as a way to interest children in poetry. The illustrations are appealing as well and perfectly complement each poem.
Verdict: This is a good book to borrow from the library.
Tony Keefer
I am a sucker for baseball poetry and I am a fan of Douglas Florian's work. I loved the art in this book, but was a little disappointed with some of the poems. Overall though I think many kids will appreciate this book. It could be a good first step in exploring poems that are based on the same concept.
Amanda
Jun 04, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This collection of poems are all about baseball and it's players/positions. My favorite poem is the last one "The Season is Over" that says "We're counting the days Until it's spring training" The back cover even features a poem about baseball fans. Great book when teaching a poetry unit in elementary school.
Kifflie
Aug 21, 2012 Kifflie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
The poems really do catch the essence of baseball. The illustrations are pretty crude, though -- and more than a bit distracting, I found. Just my personal impression. But this is a cute book for young baseball lovers.
Donalyn
16 poems-- including one on the back cover-- celebrate every aspect of baseball. My favorite poem is "Pitcher", which showcases Florian's trademark wordplay-- "I'm the curve-ball creator/ The man on the mound/ The great devastator,/ Where fastballs are found.
Great Books
Mar 28, 2012 Great Books rated it liked it
Shelves: family
Baseball enthusiats will celebrate the sport with a collection of poems by Florian. Poems are short, lively and humorous. Share the sentiment of baseball season ending as we expectantly await spring training. A winning collection of poems about an all-American sport. Reviewer 17
Jasmine Crocker