Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)

Gilfeather (Isles of Glory #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The unassuming Sky Plains healer Gilfeather is drawn into the adventure of a lifetime, as he joins a warrior and a sorceress on a quest to overcome a ruthless dunmagicker whose lust for dark power places the entirety of the Glory Isles in danger.
Published October 25th 2005 by Ace (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gilfeather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilfeather

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyProgeny of Innocence by Patti RobertsThe Angels Are Here by Patti Roberts
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
107th out of 198 books — 114 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayBurn Bright by Marianne de PierresTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenWhisky Charlie Foxtrot by Annabel Smith
Aussie Authors
156th out of 158 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Carlotta
I admired Ms. Larke's ability to craft a good fantasy novel is her pervious book The Aware.Yet this addition to the series, chronicling the further adventures of Blaze Halfbreed, did not match my expectations despite my wanting to enjoy it.

The skill with which to first book was written was what drew me in initially. Many fantasy novels spend too much time detailing “this is how this land works and why” rather than telling readers “these things matter, because it causes this character to…”. Ms. L...more
Mark
The second book in the Isles of Glory Trilogy continues Blaze Halfbreed and Flame Windrider's dangerous quest to rid the Isles of the evil dunmaster Morthred.

Picking up where we left off in The Aware, Larke introduces us to a new character, Kelwyn Gilfeather, whose remarkable gifts in sensing both Sylv and Dun magic make him as impervious to both as one of the Aware folk.

In this book, Larke reveals more of the Isles unique and treacherous beauty, while the sharp prose and witty dialogue creates...more
Betule Sairafi
Jul 24, 2014 Betule Sairafi marked it as gave-up-on
I've been wanting to read this for 5 years, and when I finally got it - ew. It opens up with so much heavy-handed religious anti-preaching, I can't even. It's written in a way that I can just TELL that the good guys will be liberal and fun and happy and the pious are pinheaded freaks. I don't usually care what religious undertone a good story has, but ermagod this isn't a light aroma, this is sticking my head in a paint can. Go away, book. I need to open a window.

... Restrictions placed on a Fe
Terri
I found Gilfeather much harder to get into than The Aware. Larke’s trilogy isn’t about Blaze, although she’s present for all of it so far, but rather about the Isles of Glory and their seemingly t00-fantastic-too-be-real past, so I understand why she used different narrators for each installment (Ruarth in the next book). Still, I found Gilfeather himself rather dull. He doesn’t believe in magic and Blaze and Flame don’t spend too much time trying to wear him down about this, since they know the...more
Jaya
Finally, a woman with some guts, instead of namby pamby twits, that fiction and television are full of. Our Morning television (Australia) is full of stupid women that give the sex a bad name... same with the radio breakfast shows. Blaze is someone that you could at least hold a conversation with, and has some common sense. Finally a character that does things that I would probably do in the given situations. I love all of this series, I read them, and read them again immediately afterward. I en...more
Durakan
A solid sequel to the first book. I didn't feel it quite lived up to the same standard, but that could easily emanate from the usual problem when reading an author's second book - you don't benefit from the nascency of the style and the setting.

More specifically, some of the things I liked in the first book were not so greatly emphasised in this one (i.e. the politics), and the narration of Kelwyn - though he was a likeable character and his story is interesting - created a sense of detachment f...more
Lian Tanner
I am enjoying this series so much! Great characters and a gripping, highly original story. Glenda Larke has just joined my list of favourite authors.
Joni
The middle book of the Isles of Glory trilogy is quite compelling. Larke does a nice job of illuminating Kelwyn Gilfeather, a new character who is the nephew of a physician we met in the first book. Gilfeather grew up in an isolated part of the world (and the culture has some Scottish trappings, which amused me) in a tight knit community that has its own strengths and idiosyncrasies.

Larke tells a good story and this is no exception.
Kari
Wow! Did not see all that coming. :) Can't wait to see how it ends!
I am still enjoying the narrative of story telling, though it gives away who doesn't die in the end. This is a tiny bit disappointing for the excitement of the story, but nice since you become connected to the characters . I guess it is to be expected being written as an ethnography! Onward to book 3!
Iain Kaslar
fantastic book. so glad I stumbled upon this author at the supernova.
Lindsay
The second book in the Isles of Glory trilogy this continues the battle between good sylv magic and bad dun magic. But is any of it really good? An interesting read.
Melanie
3.5 was a little slow to start, but sure did finish in a flourish :)
Patrick
I would give it a five but I have to leave somewhere to go :)
The Jokester

Gave up! When would it end?
Jo Wake
Again, unusual. Enjoyed it.
Pranesh Sreekantan
Pranesh Sreekantan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Maaz
Maaz marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Natalie
Natalie is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Emma Engelhard
Emma Engelhard marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • The Firebird's Vengeance (Isavalta, #3)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • A Dance of Shadows (Shadowdance, #4)
  • A Blight of Mages (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #0.5)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
  • Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3)
Glenda was born in Western Australia, the daughter of a farmer. She was educated at government state schools and the University of Western Australia, where she obtained a degree in history and a diploma in education. Married to a Malaysian scientist, she has grown-up children, and now lives in Malaysia, where she is actively involved in rainforest conservation.
Author of The Isles of Glory trilogy...more
More about Glenda Larke...
The Last Stormlord (Watergivers, #1) Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2) Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3) The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1) Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)