Start by marking “The Show I'll Never Forget: 50 Writers Relive Their Most Memorable Concertgoing Experience” as Want to Read:

In The Show I’ll Never Forget, writer Sean Manning has gathered an amazing array of unforgettable concert memories from a veritable A-list of acclaimed novelists, poets, biographers, cultural critics, and songwriters. Their candid, first-person recollections reveal as much about the writers’ lives at the time as they do about the venues where the shows occurred or the arti ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published December 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Show I'll Never Forget, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Show I'll Never Forget

Erika Flachskam
Mar 26, 2014 Erika Flachskam rated it did not like it
"To be perfectly honest, I remember almost nothing about the concert itself." Seriously? Then what was this particular essay doing in this book? It wasn't about the band at all. Glad I wasted the 5 minutes it took to read that one.

And here's another thought: Why not get someone who LIKES THE BAND to write the review?
Roderick
Quite a variety of "takes" on memorable concerts. Made me think of quite a few myself: Sun Ra @ Hec Ed 1968, Archie Shepp somewhere in Bellevue 197?, Herbie Hancock at the site of the Off-Ramp in 1970, the Doors @ the Arena 1968, Cream @ Eagles 1968, Art Ensemble @ Bumbershoot or @ the Rainbow, Screamin' Jay Hawkins or Big Joe Turner @ the Rainbow, Thelonious Monk @ the Fresh Air, Carla Bley @ Broadway Performance Hall, Ornette & Don Cherry somewhere in Pioneer Square, Lene Lovich @ the reva ...more
Christopher
Oct 12, 2007 Christopher rated it liked it
Real hit-or-miss collection of concert recollections. Most enjoyed Klosterman (of course), Thurston Moore, Diana Ossana, Charles Cross, Lynne Tillman, A.C. Newman, and most of all Marc Bojanowski, whose take on a Beck show prompted me to read his excellent "The Dog Fighter." Some essays were crap, though.
Angie
Jul 08, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
50 Shows...

I wanted to love this book. So so badly. The concept? I wanted to take it out on a backroad and do bad things to it in the backseat, I loved it that much. That's why it pains me a little to give three stars.

I'm a music junky and there is little I find more cathartic than going to a live show with 500 or 20,000 of my closest friends. Throwing your hands above your head, singing as loud as you can and losing yourself somewhere between the music and the lyric, your blood vibrates. Concer
Reggie
Feb 21, 2008 Reggie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Reggie by: Featured in the Book Reviews of Paste Magazine
I just realized that I never finished this one. Apparently I had stopped after the first 10 or so stories out of 50. The stories are presented in chronological order beginning with several jazz shows from the 1950s. Being somewhat jazz illiterate probably slowed me down a bit. I am now at a 1978 Patti Smith show.

So far I would have to say the account of the Kinks at Madison Square Garden is probably the most entertaining story in this collection, if only because 16 year old Reggie could certainl
Bill
Feb 09, 2008 Bill rated it it was ok
I loved the concept of this book - 50 writers write about their most memorable concert experience. Unfortunately, a lot of the writers seem like self-absorbed a-holes that I wouldn't ever want to catch a show with. There are some exceptions, especially Diana Osana writing about Led Zeppelin, John Albert on Black Flag, and Charles Cross on Nirvana.

In some ways, it just reinforces why I don't read some of these authors - like Heidi Julavits, who writes about a Rush concert and makes it clear that
carolyn
Jan 06, 2010 carolyn rated it really liked it
As previous reviews have stated this book is a real mixed bag. Some of the stories are so postively dull that I skip them (not my usual deal). There are definitely some real gems in here though such as Chuck Klosterman's story about seeing Prince in Fargo. priceless! I'm bumping up the review as I've found more and more essays that I really love and just a few clunkers. A lot of the stories aren't focused on the music or the band but the whole concert going experience. I like I like
Evan
Sep 05, 2012 Evan rated it it was ok
This might have been more aptly titled "The Show I Saw and You Didn't": it was divided more or less evenly between people riffing off long-ago concerts to tell larger stories that frequently had little to do with the concert in question and people using the premise as an excuse to brag about their varied and awesome concert history. Only the newer pieces (as you might expect) recounted the actual concert with any flavor.
Harry Mccoy
May 22, 2015 Harry Mccoy rated it really liked it
Brilliant concept, and a few of these stories are masterpieces. Most are short and I found myself reading 2 at a time for short spells. They pair well.
Erik
Mar 02, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
This was a tremendous idea for a book, a collection of 50 writers recounting their most memorable concert-going experience(s). What made the stories especially nice was the fact that many of the writers admitted to not remembering all (or even most of the details) involved in their experience.
Bruce Zimmerman
Jan 10, 2008 Bruce Zimmerman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: music fans, writers
Recommended to Bruce by: library
What a great anthology. Some really great stories. Especially intriguing was the female writer who was in love with Billy Joel, auditioned for the Dancing in the Dark video and married Ben Lee.

Most of the stories had less to do with the concert than the feelings the author had at that time.
Bryant
May 07, 2008 Bryant rated it liked it
Not quite what I had expected, but still not a bad read. I had expected first-hand accounts of shows by the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Pogues, and Black Flag but more often than not read about a troubled adolescence. There were still some good essays on David Bowie, Van Morrison and Prince.
Nov 19, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I enjoyed not only the stories but how the concert goers remembered what was going on in their lives during the time of the show and not just the playlist, set, performance. Music does influence our lives and this was just another reminder of how much.
Tina Siegel
Jun 04, 2010 Tina Siegel rated it liked it
Charming, endearing, fun read. A bunch of writers write about a concert that changed their lives. I enjoyed it, but it didn't leave a huge impression.
Alaina
Jul 12, 2007 Alaina rated it it was amazing
I read almost this entire book in the bookstore and still need to go back to buy it. The account of the White Stripes concert brought me near tears.
Cynthia
May 08, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Fun read with great writing about concerts/ shows and growing up. The musicians vary and the writing does too, but some nice highlights.
Joe
Jan 05, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
A great book about memorable concert experiences. Some of the stories are more about the authors than the music, but overall it's good.
Luis Alberto
Jan 17, 2010 Luis Alberto rated it it was amazing
Joyous! Sometimes moving, sometimes even haunting. I read it on our Christmas cruise.
Dan
Apr 02, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
Great concept, but the essays are a mixed bag.
Karrie
Jun 13, 2012 Karrie rated it liked it
Great Concept- Some Great Concerts. Fun Read
Linda
Oct 19, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read it for the Springsteen love.
Robert
May 24, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
loved this book. The stories took the event and personalized them through each authors experience. Fun read!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Megan Gilbert
Megan Gilbert marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Herr Jö
Herr Jö marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Léonie Camille
Léonie Camille marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Joe K
Joe K rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rock She Wrote: Women Write about Rock, Pop, and Rap
  • Down and Delirious in Mexico City: The Aztec Metropolis in the Twenty-First Century
  • Elliott Smith
  • Love Is the Drug
  • The Dozens: A History of Rap's Mama
  • Wish You Were Here: An Essential Guide to Your Favorite Music Scenes—from Punk to Indie and Everything in Between
  • Rock On: An Office Power Ballad
  • 1000 Record Covers
  • Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music
  • Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • Dreamland Japan: Writings on Modern Manga
  • Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
  • Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists