Start by marking “Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

A true classic, this bestselling novel--and the inspiration for the internationally renowned film starring John Mills--tells the story of a small group of soldiers and nurses trying to escape from Tobruk through the German-occupied desert. For Captain George Anson, the taste of the ice-cold beer served in Alexandria, Egypt remains an indelible memory. When he's assigned to ...more
Published August 28th 2003 by Cassell (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cold in Alex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Cold in Alex

Jul 04, 2008 Gavin rated it it was amazing
Ice Cold in Alex is one of my all time favourite films, so when I saw this book I picked it up and read it through largely as a comparator. I'm glad I did because since reading it I'll never be able to watch the film in quite the same way, due to there being one enormous change of story line between the two differing media. Also, for any interested in book to film comparisons, this is one instance where the book only slightly outdoes the film. Both are well worth the effort to digest.
Jonathon Dabell
Nov 04, 2010 Jonathon Dabell rated it liked it
An old-fashioned wartime story about a group of disparate types who try to escape during the fall of Tobruk aboard an army ambulance. They have to venture deeper and deeper into the desert to avoid the Germans, and a passenger they pick up en route develops worrying and suspicious behaviour to further heighten their problems.
Landon's prose is a bit stiff upper-lipped, but this is a very enjoyable read. The characters are nicely developed and the author excels at describing desert conditions. Yo
Sep 24, 2013 Ken rated it liked it
First of all, I must admit that I am growing weary of the trend in so many contemporary fiction novels that employ tawdry 'flashbacks', garish 'flashforwards', and pointless 'shifting points of view' as literary gimmicks, and it was a pleasure to read a novel from 1958 that was written with enough confidence to just proceed inexorably from 'A' to 'Z'. I fully enjoyed the tale because the author did not attempt to woo the reader with unnecessary tricks or useless pedantic devices.

Mar 13, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it
The Germans are advancing on the desert city of Tobruk. Expecting a long siege the commander of the armed forces in the area (British I think, the book never really says) orders the evacuation of all nonessential personnel to Alexandria. This task is assigned to one Captain Anson and his friend and subordinate Tom Pugh. The Captain is also given the task of returning two nurses to Alexandria that were caught in the crossfire on another part of the battle field and separated from their unit.

Due t
David O'Neill
A wonderful read and an iconic story - made into a famous film. The film changed some key areas including the love interest. It was good see what the author intended.
Dec 10, 2014 Nial rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This was a fairly boring tale of an ambulance car driving through the desert in WW2. Not much happens although I will say it was very realistic and you can tell the author knows about what he is talking about.
Sep 30, 2013 Eldon.shirkley rated it it was amazing
A terrific novel. Landon is not the greatest writer in the world, but he more than makes up for this by his knowledge of his subject. The book reeks of authenticity. From the snarl of the sand tyres on the tarmac, to the descriptions of the vast desert, the wire, turning the ambulance sideways when they blew the bridge over the tank traps, the sound of the half-track coming up the wadi, the interactions with the German patrols, and the relationships between the various military men, you know tha ...more
Jul 08, 2009 Bowerbird rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2011-read
This is a nice easy summer read. A good straightforward adventure story set during the second world war. Not a demanding book , but it holds the attention and is a good yarn. I can understand why they made it into a film. The storyline is ideal for it.
For me though it is perhaps more interesting as I have spent several holidays in Egypt and have visited Alexandria. I loved the descriptions of the night sky out in the desert as they brought back memories of a trip to the Sinai desert.
Perhaps the
Frederick Tan
Jan 22, 2016 Frederick Tan rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
A classic WWII story somewhere in Libya. Romance and deadly fighting thrown into the mix made for a good read.
Sep 28, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I found this book at Ollie's discount store. I had no idea what it'd be like, but I really enjoyed it. I want to see the movie version from the 1950s.
Feb 29, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. A solid story that romps along nicely. A good mix of adventure, mystery and romance.
Apr 29, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Love that the whole point of what they go through and their determination is to get to an ice cold beer. Loved the story!
Steve Shaw
Steve Shaw rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2016
Bucksbookgeek rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Forqu Anjumama
Forqu Anjumama rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Daniel added it
Sep 30, 2016
Tabi &
Tabi & marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Arvid Jakobsson
Arvid Jakobsson rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Noel Doonan
Noel Doonan rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Timothy Bazzett
Timothy Bazzett rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Claire Nicol
Claire Nicol rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Joseph Ebb
Joseph Ebb rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Kim Harris
Kim Harris rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Jason Higgins
Jason Higgins rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Stephen rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Veronica Taylor
Veronica Taylor marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Eogon rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Maurice marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Mark rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Landon was born in West Byfleet, Surrey. His father was a stockjobber of Huguenot descent and he was a distant cousin of the author Perceval Landon. He was educated at Lancing College and Cambridge University. He studied medicine.

Christopher Landon served with the 51st Field Ambulance in North Africa during the Second World War and with the 1st S.A. Division. He ended the war with the rank of Majo
More about Christopher Landon...