Start by marking “Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

Ice Cold in Alex (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  11 reviews
They served it ice-cold in Alex - pale amber Rheingold beer in tall, dewy glasses. This is the image that haunts Captain George Anson. Stationed in the North African desert just before the fall of Tobruk, an ice-cold lager seems a million miles away. When Anson is detailed to escort two nursing sisters to Alexandria, it looks as though his wish is finally about to come tru ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Cassell (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cold in Alex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Cold in Alex

Gavin
Ice Cold in Alex is one of my all time favourite films, so when I saw this book I picked it up and read it through largely as a comparator. I'm glad I did because since reading it I'll never be able to watch the film in quite the same way, due to there being one enormous change of story line between the two differing media. Also, for any interested in book to film comparisons, this is one instance where the book only slightly outdoes the film. Both are well worth the effort to digest.
Jonathon Dabell
An old-fashioned wartime story about a group of disparate types who try to escape during the fall of Tobruk aboard an army ambulance. They have to venture deeper and deeper into the desert to avoid the Germans, and a passenger they pick up en route develops worrying and suspicious behaviour to further heighten their problems.
Landon's prose is a bit stiff upper-lipped, but this is a very enjoyable read. The characters are nicely developed and the author excels at describing desert conditions. Yo
Ken
First of all, I must admit that I am growing weary of the trend in so many contemporary fiction novels that employ tawdry 'flashbacks', garish 'flashforwards', and pointless 'shifting points of view' as literary gimmicks, and it was a pleasure to read a novel from 1958 that was written with enough confidence to just proceed inexorably from 'A' to 'Z'. I fully enjoyed the tale because the author did not attempt to woo the reader with unnecessary tricks or useless pedantic devices.

ICE COLD IN ALE
Andrew
Morgan
The Germans are advancing on the desert city of Tobruk. Expecting a long siege the commander of the armed forces in the area (British I think, the book never really says) orders the evacuation of all nonessential personnel to Alexandria. This task is assigned to one Captain Anson and his friend and subordinate Tom Pugh. The Captain is also given the task of returning two nurses to Alexandria that were caught in the crossfire on another part of the battle field and separated from their unit.

Due t
Nial O'farrell
This was a fairly boring tale of an ambulance car driving through the desert in WW2. Not much happens although I will say it was very realistic and you can tell the author knows about what he is talking about.
Eldon.shirkley
A terrific novel. Landon is not the greatest writer in the world, but he more than makes up for this by his knowledge of his subject. The book reeks of authenticity. From the snarl of the sand tyres on the tarmac, to the descriptions of the vast desert, the wire, turning the ambulance sideways when they blew the bridge over the tank traps, the sound of the half-track coming up the wadi, the interactions with the German patrols, and the relationships between the various military men, you know tha ...more
Bowerbird
This is a nice easy summer read. A good straightforward adventure story set during the second world war. Not a demanding book , but it holds the attention and is a good yarn. I can understand why they made it into a film. The storyline is ideal for it.
For me though it is perhaps more interesting as I have spent several holidays in Egypt and have visited Alexandria. I loved the descriptions of the night sky out in the desert as they brought back memories of a trip to the Sinai desert.
Perhaps the
I found this book at Ollie's discount store. I had no idea what it'd be like, but I really enjoyed it. I want to see the movie version from the 1950s.
Amy Herrington
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. A solid story that romps along nicely. A good mix of adventure, mystery and romance.
Shannon
Love that the whole point of what they go through and their determination is to get to an ice cold beer. Loved the story!
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Frantastika
Frantastika marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Shin
Shin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Yr_hen_jero
Yr_hen_jero marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kjersti
Kjersti marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Paige Macgregor
Paige Macgregor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
James Littlejohns
James Littlejohns marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
De schaduw van de tijd Et barn forsvinder EIGHT THRILLING TALES Stone Cold Dead in Market Dead Men Rise Up Never